RockShox Psylo XC 2004 Front Shocks

3.95/5 (20 Reviews)

All adrenalin

Submitted by a,man a Weekend Warrior from bolton uk

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2010

Strengths:    plush smooth u-turn 5" of travel

Weaknesses:    it leaks abit but its rather old

Bottom Line:
this fork is epic i would recomend it to anyone in this field of mtbing

Favorite Trail:   coed y brennin the dragons back

Purchased At:   ebay!

Similar Products Used:   rock shox tora

Bike Setup:   carrera kraken sram x7 quad qhd1 alexrims dp17 odi ruffian grips truvativ isoflow sram pc 991

Submitted by IRVING NAVARRO a Weekend Warrior from BRONX NY, NORTH AMERICA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2006

Strengths:    LIGHT FOR THE TRAVEL. NICE SOLID COLOR. GREAT AMOUNT OF TRAVEL. GOOD PRICE FOR THE TRAVEL.

Weaknesses:    CAN'T FIND AN IMPORTANT WEAKNESS OTHER THAN A LITTLE PLUSHY I LEARNED TO COPE WITH IT.

Bottom Line:
IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD A HIGH END FORK LIKE NIXON , SHERMAN, PIKE , RIBA, BOMBER ,MINITE THESE FORKS START @ 300.00 . I BOUGHT THE PSYLO OF COURSE THE PSYLO CANT BE FOUND ANYMORE MAYBE ON E-BAY.NOT FOR DH MAYBE SOME FR. EXCELLENT FOR XC ITS A GOOD ASS FORK I LOVE IT NO PROBLEMS. I WILL USE IT UNTIL IT GOES ON ME I WOULD PROBLAY GO BEFORE IT. LOOK BOTTOM LINE IS THAT FOR 200 BUCKS I GOT A KICK ASS FORK AND DID NOT REGRET IT.

Favorite Trail:   ANY BIKE PARK IN NY STATE

Purchased At:   PRICE POINT WHERE PRICE IS THE POINT

Similar Products Used:   ROCK SHOCK JUDY TT RED 2003

Bike Setup:   HARDTAIL XC / ENDURO

Submitted by Alon Bout a Cross Country Rider from La Verne, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2005

Strengths:    Lasted a while

Weaknesses:    The stantion pulled from the pressed fitting, resulting in a serious accident that slammed me into a tree. The adjustment knobs broke from the top of shock a few months into the purchase.

Bottom Line:
Enduro Pro 2003 stock.

Favorite Trail:   Foothills

Purchased At:   R'N'R

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from costa mesa

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2005

Strengths:    very plush easy to use u- turn works very well as long as your off the bike, i weigh 235 pounds, i will be upgrading the spring, but so far its holding up very plush,

Weaknesses:    its not dual crown?

Bottom Line:
this fork is bang for the buck right now. very cheep for a decent fork i:)

Favorite Trail:   woods rocket

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   x-vert, sx-r, judy

Bike Setup:   98 gt lts its a polished frame.

Submitted by Nick a Racer from avalon woods, MD

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    travel adjust is excellent- plush for drops and downhills but lower and more aggressive for climbing and single track

Weaknesses:    -Heavy, but not for the travel and the date of manufacture
-alittle flexy = XC lowers + 125mm travel

Bottom Line:
A solid fork overall. If you wind the travel to the limit and then try to give it a few more turns, the fork won't rebound off larger drops. found that out after i rode up a jersey barrier and hopped off. you should never really be forcing anything on a bike. Other people have complained about the fork locking up, but its really just because their trying to squeeze too much travel out of it. And these are the people doing drops that are too big for a 125mm adventure fork anyway (its called the XC... hint hint)
four for value
3 for overall... because its nothing extraordinary but its 'good'

good for the rider who likes long loops, with some agressive decents and no numb forearms at the end. The wind down feature is accesable while riding, which is great.

poor choice for a freerider.

actually is o.k. for dirt jumping & reasonable urban

Favorite Trail:   ridge run in avalon

Purchased At:   Race Pace in Ellicott, MD

Similar Products Used:   sherman flick plus, 04 (130mm), 05 (150mm)
Rock shox SID, manitou black

Bike Setup:   eno hub, icon graphite cranks + blackspire mono veloce chain ring, candy SLs, avid BB disks, ruffian lock ons, marz carve seat

Submitted by Fats a Downhiller from CA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    A little adjustability ( i dont relly use)
good for dirt jump
Can do 5 footers w/ out bottoming. 6-8 footers they can bottom out sum times

Weaknesses:    ive had em for a year so that explans some of these problems. leak lots of oil, lock up off drop over 4 feet or on rocky trails, and bottom alot

Bottom Line:
I ordered some Pikes to get soon. The pike will be really sweet. This fork did alright for awhile until i went bigger. It has lots of problems now, but it is alright.

Favorite Trail:   Sticks and Stones

Purchased At:   stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   most low travel marazochis

Bike Setup:   heckler

Submitted by Jean-Louis from Quebec City, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Strengths:    Variable travel, reliable, simple, solid, good look. Very good for free ride style (laughs at rocks)

Weaknesses:    factory springs are a little smooth for heavy guys (180 pnds and +)

Bottom Line:
I saw a lot reviews of guys complaining about this fork because it's too soft. I appreciate my psylo but I found it was a little soft too. Especially when I have to jump on my bike, the front dives a lot and I have to sit down before pedaling. I finally finally read the owner's manual and this is the good advise which every owner should follow.
There is four spring rates existing for this fork.
1- smooth (less than 140 pounds), 2- medium (140-160 pounds)
3- firm (180-200 pounds) and 4- extra firm (200 pounds and +)

My told my about this chart (factory sprigns are medium caliber and my wheigt is 190 pounds) and upgrading to firm springs made me very happy with this fork. This is an excellent fork, you just have to tune it properly.

Bike Setup:   Giant VT Two

Submitted by Tom from Wales

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2004

Strengths:    Plush as you like, strong, awesome U Turn thingamajig, very effective rebound adjustment, very light for the travel

Weaknesses:    Spring way too light, seems to scratch easily

Bottom Line:
unbelievably plush at the moment, soaks up small bumps like my mates 888, only problem is my 90kg self can bottom it out easily over 2 ft drops and the plushness will probably go when I get the right weight spring. Rebound adjustment is effective and useful although on higher settings it seems to affect compression as well. The U Turn is great meaning that theres loads of travel for hammering downhill and little enough to reduce the pain of getting up the hill. The forks lighter far lighter than my friends comparable dropoffs and DJumpers and works just as well except for the bottom out thing and while its more likely to snap I'd say nothing thats sane on a single crown like this will snap it. Overall great with no problems Ive found (yet)and cheap too. 4 chilis cos I'm gonna have to get a new spring.

Favorite Trail:   The Mountain

Similar Products Used:   MX Comps, Psylo SL, RST Gilas, Blacks

Bike Setup:   Muddyfox with LX/XT group, deore disks, EX721 rims and other freerideish parts

Submitted by joe a Weekend Warrior from Cool, CA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2004

Strengths:    I really like the adjustable travel. The forks are smooth, plush (but don't bottom out) and side-to-side flex is negligible.

Weaknesses:    Even with the extra-firm spring and a heavier weight oil the forks are too soft for my liking. RS needs to make a "real" extra-firm spring for those of us who tip the scales on the otherside of 200 lbs. (I'm 220 before dinner and a couple beers).

Bottom Line:
Been riding the Psylo for more than a year (I bought it fall of 2003) and in a lot of different situations, from XC singletrack to bombing Downiville, and its performed very well. I'm big and I tend to really crush parts and I haven't had any problems with the Psylo at all. Also, RS supplied some great tech support when I was setting up the forks. I only wish I had spent a few extra bucks and bought the SL or Race because I think the on-the-fly lock-out those models have would be worth the cash. I'd recommend the Psylo to anyone who wants to be able to adjust travel out on the trail and needs a plush, sturdy, trouble-free front end that doesn't require excessive maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   I've tested various XC forks, 'zokes, RS, Manitou, etc., but nothing else with an adjustable travel feature like the Psylo.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tazmon, XT, Riesse racing rear shock. That frame is dust though, so the forks are going on a new Santa Cruz Chameleon as soon as it arrives.

Submitted by Haciendaheights a Weekend Warrior from SoCAL

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    U-turn, external rebound, durable (Crash once no scratch)no damage. Value. wide tire clearance. max 2.7

Weaknesses:    spring to soft for 215 guy like me...

Bottom Line:
Can handle aggresive XC and little of Downhill run on rocks try the ratlesnake and rocket... clean it and smoothly..cant wait to change to firmer spring this will definitely make it diff in handling. keep riding safe.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Woods; Whittier Trail

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   black platinum (same soft spring need upgrade)

Bike Setup:   XT, Raceface, WTB

Submitted by Cahonees a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Strengths:    - Adjustable travel

Weaknesses:    Stock springs are way softer than any other fork out

Bottom Line:
A good trail fork. This fork comes super soft in stock form. Don't really know why it's stock springs are WAY softer than any other stock fork.
Crank down to 85mm and climb with no wandering front wheel. Turn it up 115mm and smooths out fast descents. Versatile fork. Rebound adjuster was bad out of the box. LBS ordered part from RS and fork was fixed in about 7 days time. Durable metal decals if you care, I didn't so I took them off. I have enjoyed this fork for the year that I've ridden it, but now that I've ridden the Minute 1 fork, I think I may be moving onto to SPV.

Similar Products Used:   Black, Vanilla

Submitted by neil a Downhiller from new marske

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2004

Strengths:    can take a beating,soft so is very smooth over rough bumps.great
for xc the travel adjustment etc,the price now.

Weaknesses:    flex, bottoms out on drops over 5ft,seals not the best needed to change the oil round to much.

Bottom Line:
great fork can take a hammering but would go for Fox vanilla if got the money,not for aggresivefreeride but more light.if on a budget its great.

Favorite Trail:   carlton bank

Purchased At:   chain reaction cycles

Similar Products Used:   wedges,fox vanilla's

Bike Setup:   norco torrent,dh set up,

Submitted by Itzik aka Big G a Downhiller from Israel

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2004

Strengths:    Very light very hard to bottom(that's after i changed to a stiffer spring)

Weaknesses:    rebound failed after a month and oil started leaking and the u-turn wore out cost me 100$ repair with the stiffer spring, flexes under hard braking u-turn is not very user friendly

Bottom Line:
this fork would be great for agressive XC riders i won't recomend this product for freeride or for big drops so because i don't do XC i give this fork 2 flam'in chilli's.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Z1 wedge

Bike Setup:   planet x jack flash hayes holzfeller alivio salsa rims race face riser bar planet x stem

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Joliet, IL USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    Price? External adjustments, Looks okay if your into looks.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work well after taking a bath in the Fox River. Rebuilt it once, but it needs new seals. Very chattery. I have Avid mech. discs and when I brake hard the fork flexes almost an inch making stoppies and stuff pretty sketchy! Took em off and put on some Marzocchi Z1 drop off II's and love em!($275 E-bay)

Bottom Line:
If your into x-country this would be okay for you...I guess, but then I would go with a Fox Vanilla or Fox Float...yea, it's more money, but it's well worth the investment for a smooth fork! If you're into the fun stuff like dirt jumping and urban/free riding, I would go with the Marzocchi Z1's any day of the week!!! Very solid!

Favorite Trail:   Anything that's not paved and straight!!!

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shock Judy (Hey, it came on my first, now old, Trek 4900 bike!)

Bike Setup:   Jamis Komodo Frame (17"), Marzocchi Z1 drop off II, Avid Mechanical Brakes, Race Face North Shore Cranks, Sun Sigle Track Rims, Kenda Tires, Azonic Love Seat/Big Drop...I can't decide which one I like best yet. SRAM x.9 (Great idea...but reliability is poor so far on the shifers...broke 2 for 2...not even riding hard!)

Submitted by David . from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    Super Plush
U-Turn
Great Looks
Confidence inspiring

Weaknesses:    springs a bit soft no biggie thou.

Bottom Line:
Best upgrade on the bike! makes riding much more comfortable and makes me wanna go harder! great fork. stock springs a bit soft thou.. and im not huge as well.. but thats easily upgradeable... overall great fork. buy it!

Favorite Trail:   street/urban