RockShox Judy XC 2004 Front Shocks

3.33/5 (9 Reviews)

RockShox Judy forksRedesigned for 2004, Judy forks provide solid, all-around performance for riders just starting to hit the singletrack, or recreational riders looking to take the edge off paths and trails or pathways.

Clean sheet design developed to meet the evolving needs of the emerging All-Mountain category.
FEA designed casting and crown mated to 28mm chromed upper tubes provide a stiff and rigid chassis.
HydraCoil damping ensures quality suspension performance.
Performance features enable this fork to be used on Hardtail and Full-suspension bikes.

Travel: 80mm
Weight: 3.96 lb. (1.80 kg)
Spring: Dual Stage coil/elastomer spring
Steerer Tube: Steel
Upper Tubes: Chromed steel 28mm
Colors: Silver
Upgrade: Over TT: HydraCoil damping, Lighter Magnesium Casting
(Disclaimer: Weights are based on 160mm steerer tube pre-production models and may vary. Actual fork travel may vary +/- 3 mm. Specifications and call-outs are preliminary and are subject to change.)

Submitted by mibyke a Racer from killington, vermont

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2011

Strengths:    strong, ok amount of travel, and looks good

Weaknesses:    not all that plush

Bottom Line:
good fork for xc and all mountain riding but not downhill

Favorite Trail:   killington

Purchased At:   Green mountain bike

Bike Setup:   2001 specialized enduro with deore components, rockshox judy xc fork and veulta freeride disk rims with avid elexir hydrolic disk breaks

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Naples, Italy

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    Relatively light, smooth travel, low maintenence and good looks

Weaknesses:    a little slow on the rebound, not a high-end fork

Bottom Line:
I did some serious XC racing in the late 90's, I had a SID fork and the Judy XC has a similar feel. Granted, forks have come a long way since the late 90's and the Judy lacks a little refinement, but overall I've been totally impressed with what you get for the money. Personally, I'm not into huge travel. I was simply looking for a light fork with smooth, usable travel and that's what the Judy XC delivers.

Favorite Trail:   messy singletrack

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SID

Bike Setup:   Fork - Rock Shox Judy XC,Rims - Ritchey Girder XC,Hubs - Ritchey Zero,Spokes - Ritchey ultra-lights,Tires - IRC Mythos XC Kevlar,Pedals - Shimano M540,Crank - Truvativ Sylo Team Carbon,Chain - SRAM 951,Rear Cogs - Sram PG-970 11-32,Bottom Bracket - SRAM GXP,Front Derailleur - SRAM X-gen,Rear Derailleur - Sram X-7,Shifters - Sram X-7 twist,Handlebars - RaceFace Deus XC,Stem - Kore Elite,Headset - Ritchey WCS,Brakeset - Avid SD7's,Brakelevers - Avid FR-5 Saddle - Sette AMP,Seat Post -Sette APX alloy,Extras - Sette XE2 Carbon Fiber bar ends, Ritchey grips, XTR cables/casings

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Greensboro, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2006

Strengths:    Rock Shox Name, Air preload adjustment

Weaknesses:    VERY SOFT, slow rebound, air adjustment never seemed to work

Bottom Line:
I'll not buy another air preload fork again. I'll probably not buy another XC model again. I just bought a Judy TT, and depsite its bad reviews, its a ton better.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   1998 Schwinn Homegrown, Cane Creek C2, FSA Vdrive Cranks/BB, Avid Disc brakes, Sram DIRT derailleur, Shimano XT Wheels/Front Derailleur

Submitted by Sean from Barbados

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2005

Strengths:    works really sweety for such a cheap fork.its really smooth and doesn't bottom out that easily.The preload actually works(i put it to its sofest because i am 125lbs.)Really great fork overall!

Weaknesses:    sad thing is i cracked the damn fork(it has two cracks on the crown),but thats my fault cause i abused the fork.I did 8-9 feet drops to flat(now thats bad!)even did some dirt jumping,but all of that has come to an end,so i'm buying this year's Z1 freeride 1.

Bottom Line:
only buy this fork if you do cross country,so you dont end up like me.lol

Its a great fork,for the amount of money u pay.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   2003 marzocchi dirtjumper 1,2,3
2002 marzocchi wedge
2001 marzocch juniour t pro

Submitted by Joshua Aragon a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap. The compression and rebound is at a good setting, since you can't do anything to those settings. A good upgrade for an inexpensive hardtail.

Weaknesses:    No rebound setting. I am not sure if the preload really works.

Bottom Line:
A good fork for an inexpensive bike. It does the job over the less agressive trails here in AZ and I do take my hardtail on some of the tougher trails once in awhile and it still does the job. For its intended use which is non-competitive cross country riding, it does well. Of course it could be better, but then it would not be $99.00

Favorite Trail:   Too hard to pick in AZ

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Similar Products Used:   RST, Marzocchi EXR Pro, Manitou Axel

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock

Submitted by Joe Stump a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, very plush,looks nice on my Monkey. Very cheap but works very well. No air assist wich I hate. They always leak.

Weaknesses:    Not a high end fork.

Bottom Line:
Gets a bumb wrap from what I have read but to me being a mild cross country rider hopping tree's logs etc this shock works great. I had a 96 judy xc and it still works great just didnt like the size of the old school shocks. Im going to give it five turds just because it looks great feels great and I have not had any problems with it so far.

Favorite Trail:   Loch

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Judy xc 96 Azonic Ds-1, Trek 9800, Trek Y-22

Bike Setup:   Brass Monkey XTR, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blaahhh who cares as long as it works

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from BFE

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    disc mounts, stiff spring for big guys, looks good, smooth so far

Weaknesses:    not much adjustability

Bottom Line:
I've been running this fork for about 3 months and haven't had any hassles yet. Yes the spring rate is a bit stiff, but at 225 pounds, it is just about perfect for me. There's not much adjustability, but luckily for me, It is set up basically the way I like it. I'm running a full-suspension rig with air shock on the rear, so I just dial in the rear to match the front, and we're good to go. Yeah, I know it's not a Zoke, or Black, but its a ton better than the crappy Jett on my hardtail. So, I'll continue to run it until it poops out and then upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   oem

Similar Products Used:   Jett, Pace carbon fiber, bmx rigids, some cheapos

Bike Setup:   stock Schwinn rocket 1

Submitted by Kurt a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    None except its cost.

Weaknesses:    Standard spring too stiff. Weight.

Bottom Line:
This shock is terrible. I don't know why Haro chose this shock for their XLS R5 XC. Granted it's an inexpensive option for those that don't already have a front suspension but I wouldn't recommend the Judy XC for anyone.

I was originally told that the Judy XC would "soften up" after a few hours of trail riding. Well, I've covered about 200 miles of rough trails including small drops and the spring is still as stiff as the first day.

Buy a Marzocchi or Fox instead.

Favorite Trail:   Daily Ranch

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MX Comp

Bike Setup:   Stock Haro XLS R5.

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks good

Weaknesses:    Weak rebound damping

Bottom Line:
Good product for road riding or trails with minor bumps. Will not handle huge bumps well, and may feel a little like using a pogo stick at times. The preload adjuster works fairly well. I guess this is a budget fork, so would not expect it to perform like one of the high end forks.

Favorite Trail:   Yarra Bend

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Marzoochi EXR, RST Capa

Bike Setup:   Peugeot Absolute Hardtail Frame, XT front and rear derailers with XT cassette, Avid SD7 Brakes, Thompson post and stem, Mavic 517 rims with XT hubs, X-lite Titanium Handlebar, Michelin Wildgripper Rock tires, Selle Flite saddle, Truvativ Stylo Crank,

Rebuilding a Rockshox Judy XC

What are my current options for rebuilding a Rockshox Judy XC (1996)? I did a search and most of the recommendations are no longer available like the Englund Total Air replacement, etc. Am I stuck with trying to find new springs and elastomers or is somebody still making a swap out kit?Read More »

Rock Shox judy XC 01, can i ride it with one coil?

I have this fork ant its too hard for me. In the left side i have a medium (red) coil and in the right soft (yellow). When i was replacing my oil i noticed that with the yellow coil alone the fork works much better. Can i only ride with only one coil in my fork? Sorry for my English.Read More »

Yet Another 97 Judy XC question....

Looked back on previous posts, didnt find exactly this, If I missed it sumhow, I apologize..... I have a 97 (98?) Rock Shox Judy XC on my Stumpy M2 Comp, got a long elastomer topped by springs down each leg ( from the top ) shock works, is stiff as hell ( i'm 180 and it barely bounces) the ela ... Read More »

Judy XC springs...

I've got an 00 or 01 Judy XC and I'd like to make it (and the hardtail it's on) last one more season before I build a new bike. Anyone have a red or black spring kit? Or know where I can get one? Thanks!Read More »

Options for a '99 Trek VRX 300 leaking front Rock Shox Judy XC fork?

The fork only has 3.15" of travel, would anyone recommend a replacement or know of any places that will rebuild one?Read More »