Marzocchi Z1 ETA 2004 Front Shocks

4.7/5 (20 Reviews)

The ETA travel adjust feature lets you quickly change the fork from a full travel, bump-eating machine into a locked-out fork that can climb without bobbing.

Submitted by perttime a Weekend Warrior from Finland

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    strong
stiff
smooth
good looking
not too many knobs

Weaknesses:    don't really find the QR 20 Pro dropout mechanism useful
not real light

Bottom Line:
For me, bike geometry is everything and the Z1 FR ETA is just right for my bike and the rocky trails I ride. I am a heavier guy but, when I got on the bike to see what I need to do about sag, I found that it was good out of the box. Light guys and girls may need to convert one side of the fork to air only. The fork works without me fiddling with adjustments all the time.

Either the QR 20 dropout system is useless or I have not figured out how to use it properly. Securing the axle with bolts would be simpler.

It is a good solid fork and, at the price I paid, it was a steal.

Purchased At:   LBS sale

Similar Products Used:   Marz MX Comp Air
Manitou Breakout+

Bike Setup:   Tough hardtail (2soulscycles)

Submitted by Klaus from Berlin

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2007

Strengths:    very progressive, tight feeling
best trail-style fork I know

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
tested several forks since the 04 Z1 was launched, but finally got back to my old Z1 again. Don't really do the hard FR stuff, though - I'm more into technical trails and some dirtjumping. Really tried hard to wreck my bike on rocky trails in the alps and karpartes - I failed but not did this fork. That's why I still use it.

Favorite Trail:   Sausteig

Similar Products Used:   Fox RC36, Manitou Sherman (both sucked compared)

Bike Setup:   pimped Coiler DeeLux

Submitted by ian a Cross Country Rider from staten island, ny

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    stiffness, plush travel, customer service

Weaknesses:    limited to six inch rotors(anything larger will cause flex)

Bottom Line:
great fork for all mountain type of riding. built very stout to take abuse. more plush than air forks that i have tried. this fork is not for the weight weenies, but its reliability is more important to me anyway. the eta is a great feature to aid in steep climbs and is very simple to use, adding to the versatility of this fork.

Similar Products Used:   manitou, sid, older bombers

Bike Setup:   05 5 spot, hadley hubs, race face, etc.

Submitted by Jonathan Kelman from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2005

Strengths:    totally bombproof and confidence inspiring, super, super plush HSCV, looks most excellent

Weaknesses:    Not light.

Bottom Line:
A great fork. Pretty heavy, but appropriately beefy, and so, so plush. Unfortunately it doesn't really work with the geometry of my 6 Pack, so it is now relegated to the role of spare fork since the Heckler has now moved on (not destroyed, just sold). My new AM-1 is also a nice fork, but definitely not as plush as my lovely 04 Z-1. Indeed, I believe the ultimate trail fork for me would be an AM-1 with HSCV internals.

Favorite Trail:   Heartbreak Ridge

Similar Products Used:   2002 Fox Vanilla R, 2005 Marzocchi AM-1

Bike Setup:   Was used on my 2004 Santa Cruz Heckler, DHX coil rear

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Buckley, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, Strong, Plush, Reliable

Weaknesses:    Some Adjustibility Issues

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork. For trail rides this fork is really great and I can't think of a thing to nit pick about. It does everything really well. It works well for the modest freeriding I do, but I've had some issues with not getting a lot of rebound adjustment range. It would be nice to have hi and low speed compression adjustment too. The Z1's strength is it's strength...it takes drops all day like they are nothing, and it doesn't get twisted off track when you hit a stump or rock that you didn't plan on hitting! If you have to ask about the weight on this fork, it's not for you, yours will be next to the spandex and tampex.

Favorite Trail:   Victor Falls

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Fury, built heavy

Submitted by Bryce a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Strengths:    Built well
Performs great
Definitely well worth the price.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This shock is beefy. Soaked up everything the trail had to offer. Saved my arms and hands from punishment. I have only tested my bike once on the trail and was so impressed at how well it soaked up the bumps and how I felt after riding. I could have ridden a lot longer. I would recommend it. I plan on riding more than the weekend now that Im not so sore from riding with a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Cambria

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 2.0 with XT Components, Hayes hyd brakes, Swinger 4 way coil. Marzocchi FR.

Submitted by M B a Weekend Warrior from AUSTIN

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Strengths:    WAY STIFF, SUPER SMOOTH TRAVEL

Weaknesses:    Heavy ?. You get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Had to do some tuning to get it to my liking. I'm 145 lbs and prefer a soft squishy suspension for the low speed rocky trails in Austin. Too plush ?. No such thing in my book (I don't like platform shocks either). I removed one of the springs and put my softer fox spring on one side. Now I can get 1" of sag like I prefer. Did some testing and added 10 cc of oil to each side to prevent bottoming. Now I have the super plush beginning stroke with a nice ramp up at the end for the drops. I don't use any air preload with this setup.I can feel two things. The added weight and the extra stiffness over my fox. I really like the fox, but no 20mm thru axle. This thing steers STRAIGHT through the rocky sections. No deflection here. That's what you get with the extra weight. Great for those low speed scary rock sections.

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Fox RL 125

Bike Setup:   Titus quasi moto

Submitted by "trailnut" a Cross Country Rider from berkeley, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2005

Strengths:    looks (black on black with grey lettering), plush, dual coils, stiff, metal ETA lever, ETA function, QR, Marzocchi reliability. has 20mm axle version.

Weaknesses:    my old fender didn't fit: the $30 Marzocchi fender's real lame, too long on frontside, too short on backside.
$$.

Bottom Line:
Do i notice the extra weight of the '04 Z1's 5.7# over my old fork's 4.4#, '03 MX Comp Eta 105mm?
Nope, not at all.

Do i notice the extra travel of my Z1's 130mm vs. the MX's 105mm?
Not really (when the MX's air coil's properly pumped with air)

Do I notice the extra stiffness of my heavier Z1?
Yes, I think so.

Will this Z1 make me faster?
Not likely, since xc race or ride times depends more on fast climbing where weight can be a mojor factor. I'm not descending any faster on my easy local hills on fireroad trails and short single tracks.

Will this Z1 add more fun to cycling?
Yes. Perception is reality...since I'm aware that I should be able to better handle technical descends, I'll be more aggresive (well, I hope so).

Was it worth it?
Yes, I'm in hardtail heaven, set up with a 200mm Mono M4 brake and a knobby IRS tire. I didn't need it, but I'm happy to have it.

The two "benchmark" forks are the Z1 or the Sid [granted that a '05 3.1#(?)Marathon Race ought to be "better" than a 2.8# Sid].

2004 Z1 130mm ETA rocks! Get 'em while you can.

Favorite Trail:   Downiville Classic xc

Purchased At:   www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=460

Similar Products Used:   2003 M. Mx Comp ETA 105mm (4.4#),
1998 M. Atom Bomb 70mm (4#),
1998 Rock Shocks Indy S 50mm (3.3#).

Bike Setup:   Kona Lavadome butted crmo steel hardtail (4.5#) with 200mm Hope Mono M4 disk brake, IRC 2.1" ClawComp Lite. Bike's overall weight is 27.5#.

Submitted by Patrick a Downhiller from Lawrence, Kansas

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Strengths:    As stiff as you want it to be. The ETA and air assist give you ultimate control over what you want your fork to do.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but not that bad at all

Bottom Line:
Fantabulous fork for moderate to large drop-offs that and followed by a serious incline.

Favorite Trail:   Portal

Purchased At:   mtbr.com

Similar Products Used:   Psylo SL, Vanilla R

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Joker XC, Helix Expert, XT, Hayes HFX 9

Submitted by Stinky Wiz from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, no service needed, does it all.

Weaknesses:    no compression adjustment

Bottom Line:
I just ordered my second one to go on my Heckler that is being reconstructed; had the first one on that bike for 90% of the time, then swapped to Coiler DL when it went out of commission.

I loved it in my original post, I still do. Super reliable. Plush as you like or hard, like rock. Everything from deathmarch climbs to bombing the parks with tons of so-cal singletrack in between.

Different feeling bikes, requiring different settings on fork, but good performance on each.

One thing though, the ETA didn't feel all that good on the Heckler as it caused the rear suspension to stiffen up significantly; it was a bit of a revelation when I threw it on the Coiler. The other side of that was that it didn't need the ETA on the Heckler design, which climbs better with it off.

Bike Setup:   03 Heckler & 04 Coiler Deelux

Submitted by Aki Rask from Finland

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2004

Strengths:    Keeps the tire hooked to ground!

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter...

Bottom Line:
I used Minute 3.00 for 11 months in my Heckler. It felt good, and I thought that all the forks are just about the same; they go down and they come up. But once I got my hands on this...oh-my-god. It might be heavy and missing SPV and similar systems, but when it comes to keeping your wheel on the ground, nothing else even comes close to Z1, hands down. And oh yes, it gave my Heckler way better steering angle, Minute is built like a XC fork.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute 3.00, RS Psylo, Fox RLC

Bike Setup:   04 Heckler with 5th, Saint disc, Raceface, Thomson etc.

Submitted by Fig a Cross Country Rider from Wales

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2004

Strengths:    On first impressions and first ride - it looks great, is mega chunky, and already feels good even though its not bedded in.

Weaknesses:    Weight but i dont care and neither should you!

Bottom Line:
After my experience with my first marzocchi that worked faultlessly for 3 years without ever needing a service i just had to get another zocchi for my new bike! After only a few days with the new Z1s it all looks good so far! It seems like the perfect fork for my aggressive riding style with its burly construction and the ETA is well handy for the long road climb to my riding spot. Oh and its image definitely helps with trail kudos! Only 4 flamers for now as i havent put it through its paces on a proper test yet - but i sure cant wait to!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere with mountains

Similar Products Used:   01 Marzocchi Z1 (served me very well), Manitou mars (bit crap), Early RSTs (decent) and some rusty steel things (ancient).

Bike Setup:   04 Santa Cruz Heckler with 5th element coil, hope mono m4s, xt bits etc

Submitted by eric a Weekend Warrior from bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    The ETA works incredible well at lowering the front end 1.5-2" and helps with hill climbs. The HSVC dampening can take the fork from no rebound dapening to slow as mole asses in a montana winter. QR20 always a plus for control.

Weaknesses:    Having to buy atleast in my case an adapter to add air to the fork to stiffen it up a little, low on iol from the factory like all Marzocchis.

Bottom Line:
I love this fork, its by far the plushest Marz I've ridden thus far aside from my 04 Super. The fork looks slick, the rebound is easily adjustible but I have a few actually 2 reseravtions about this fork.
1. Low on oil therfore it doesnt feel as progressive as the Marz's I've spent time tuning
2. I cant find a friggen adapter to add air pressure to the fork. Tru it is a coil/oil but it lacks th spring preload adjusters and relies on increasing or decreasing air pressure in the legs to stiffen the ride. All in al I know after I add a little oil and air this fork is gonna rock, it s already amazing on Hard Core XC trails but isnt quite ready for the high speed and or 3-6 foot log drops I've been doing. I've made it a point to wheely-drop most of the big stuff but occasionally I puss out and botom out hard. Love this fork, get it setup right and you'll have no complaints if you only need 5"

Favorite Trail:   Mt Galbaith

Purchased At:   "Crash replacement"

Similar Products Used:   00 QR20 Z3, 01 qr Z3, 02 DJ1, 04 super T

Bike Setup:   02 Kona Bear, Romic rear shock, Mavic 521's, 04 Z1 freeride ETA, SRAM 7 shifters and derailuer, FSA cockpit, CK headset, Thompson post...

Submitted by Graham a Downhiller from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    ETA feature is more useful than other travel adjustments. The 04 adjuster knobs are easier to use. The fork does an excellent job at reacting to a broad range of impacts without cavitation or doing anything funny, and is difficult to bottom out.

Weaknesses:    The almost complete lack of compression damping is a problem, and I will switch forks as soon as Fox makes a thru axle because of it. The damping is not as good as older Marzocchis I have owned, and the overall quality level is low and not what I expeced based on those previous forks. The quick release is in fact very slow and somewhat fragile. I would prefer a normal thru axle. The bushing play is a little excessive for how long I have owned the fork. The "black box" nature of the damping cartridge makes it so I cannot effectively tune my fork. If I had a shim stack to play with, I could make this fork do exactly what I want.

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork knowing that I would not get a lot of compression damping. I was still disappointed at the amount of brake dive and relative lack of control.

This might sound like sacriledge, but this fork is too plush. Forks are like mattresses, there is such a thing as too soft, and they should give but do so firmly. I am not talking spring rate, although this air assist crap is for the birds, but I am talking about compression damping performance. I like a fork that reacts to all sizes of bumps. It needs to take big hits well, but if you give up small bump sensitivity (see: SPV) then you lose traction in high speed turns. That would be unacceptable. But a fork also needs to have a purposeful, controlled feel to it. I want a tiny little moto fork for my bicycle. Manitou hit it with the Dorado, but I don't ride a DH bike, and regular Manitous might as well be made by a different company. Fox is close, but their damping performance degrades under successive full travel hits. I will wait and see what Fox brings me for 2005, and then I'm getting a better fork.

The apparent lack of quality compared with older Marzocchis that I still own is disconcerting.

Three chilis for a good fork with usable strengths, but I am not happy with the product.

Purchased At:   ABS

Similar Products Used:   Fox V125RLC, Manitou Sherman Firefly

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot build heavy and sweet.

Submitted by Basil a Cross Country Rider from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2004

Strengths:    Able to suck up the small bumps and do the big stuff too. Three inch tree stumps are not worth the effort of unweighting your front wheel on this fork. Another big plus is it's weight because it goes to making it very stiff which is a good thing on rutty, bumpy downhills.

The ETA adjustment is super, twist the dial on the top of the fork and the front of your bike drops down an inch and a half or two for those steep uphills, not to mention eliminating the bobbing on thoses short steep out of the saddle climbs.

Weaknesses:    Fork is too tall for Crosscountry frames. This is just nitpicking, but I had to write something.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 220 lbs and there isn't a cross country fork that performs well for my weight. So I moved to from a Marin Mt. Vision that was okay to a Marin Mountain Attack frame with the Marzocchi Bomber Z1 fork. This fork is a cross country fork for me. Finally I can ride uphill and down without have my front end wobble like a drunk walking home after the bars are closed.

I've heard people say plush and now I wonder how many of them just like the word or have ridden a fork that performs like this one does. This fork, SUCKS, it sucks up everything, little bumps big bumps and it loves to eat up downhill rutty, bumpy trails as fast as it can.

This is one 5 flaming chile fork.

One word of advice for the big guys, get the fork with the QR 20 axle which makes it stiffer.

Favorite Trail:   Boggs Mountain

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX 99 with beefed up spring kit.

Bike Setup:   2004 Marin Mountain Attack with Avid 8 inch disc brakes (ball bearing, manual)

Marzocchi 2006 Z1 Light ETA spring

Would anyone know where and how I could locate an ETA cartridge(adj. 130-150) for a Z1 from 2006??? Marz doesn't support it anymore. I have called them and didn't get much support. Specifically the lower spring of the cartridge snapped. These are great forks and I would like to keep them running a b ... Read More »

Marzocchi Z1 FR I ETA - Rebound and ETA lever question

I have a Marzocchi Z1 FR I ETA. It works good and I like it and am wondering what the right hand lever is for and what the different positions do. I know that fully clockwise engages the External Travel Adjsutment that locks out the suspension for climbing. Fully counter clockwise it feels pretty ... Read More »

Z1 Eta Rc2 Fr (2007)

Hi! can anyone post oil levels of this fork? Manuals would be a great help also. thanksRead More »

Marzocchi Z1 freeride ETA fork 2004

Hi , I have a pair of these forks on my bike . I bought them in 2007 , they were old oem stock that i got to build a bike with. They have not had too much use offroad , in fact they are barely broken in but are still too stiff for my liking . I never "set up" these forks when i installe ... Read More »

Paid Spam: Marzocchi Z1 Light ETA and DHX Air 5.0

If you are looking for a Marzocchi Z1 Light fork, I've got one on eBay. These don't come up very often! I also have a Fox DHX Air 5.0 shock 7.5x2.0. Check out the [URL="http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=42285"]paid MTBR listing.[/URL] Feel free to PM me with any questions.Read More »