Marzocchi Z-150 FR SL ECC 2004 Front Shocks

4.1/5 (21 Reviews)

There's no doubt about the type of terrain the Z-150 is built to handle - this fork is ready to freeride!

Submitted by rustnvrsleeps a Weekend Warrior from central coast, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2006

Strengths:    great marzocchi ride quality
uber adjustability w/ oil wt, oil volume, air pressure
light weight (5.2 lbs) for 6" travel w/ 20mm thru axle

Weaknesses:    minor gripe about QR20 system. prefer simple lo-fi bolt on thru axle that fox 36 uses.

Bottom Line:
i read a lot about this fork on the suspension forum, so i already knew that its performance is very sensitive to how its tuned (w/ oil levels & air pressures).

i finally bought a used one from a friend for a good price 2 years ago, then immediately took it to my LBS for an oil change and check of seals/etc. i'm guessing that my LBS used marz's published values for oil volume & air pressure, because after i got it back, it wasn't performing as well as my 5" coil Z1's. i wasn't getting full travel, and fork lacked the same small bump compliance as my coil forks.

so i searched the suspension forum (look for posts from TNC), found the info i needed, and tuned it myself. fork is pretty easy to work on, too. it took a few rides to get this dialed in playing with oil and air pressures. fwiw, i weigh 160lbs (no gear) and used 6.25 wt oil in R leg filled to 100mm from top of threads (w/ legs fully compressed and damper rod fully extended). L leg oil wt +/or volume is less crucial, so i used 50cc of 7.5 wt in that leg. pumped about 21 psi in +'ve chambers and 110 psi in -'ve chamber.

now i'm getting full 6" travel, no bottom out on tech descents, same buttery smooth small bump compliance as marz's great Z1 coil forks i own, and have an easier time engaging the ECC slamdown/"lockout" for steep climbs. for an air spring system, my fork feels surprisingly plush and overall bike suspension is well balanced w/ air fork and coil rear. (for example, i've got a 4" travel slalom bike w/ Z1 coil fork & float air shock, and the rear end's suspension quality is not well matched to the supple coil front end).

after about 10 hours of use, a small amount of oil accumulates in the neg air chamber, increasing sag and decreasing total travel, so i turn it upside down and 'bleed' the oil from the neg chamber (depress valve stem w/ a small hex wrench wrapped in a rag).

tuned right, this forks flat out performs for the "all mountain" type of riding i do on my 6" bike--wanna thank everyone on the suspension forum who posted tuning tips. considering that this 2004 fork can be bought used in late 2006 at bargain prices, this fork is an unbelievable deal. its well worth considering for anyone who wants one of the newer 6" forks (like Marz's Z1 SL, Z1 Light, AM SL, 66SL, etc, or a Fox 36) but can't afford the newer ones.

Purchased At:   used from friend

Similar Products Used:   02 Z1FR ECC, 03 Z1FR ETA, 03 Vanilla 125 RLC, 06 36 Talas RC2 (demo)

Bike Setup:   6" single pivot w/ rising rate linkage and romic coil shock

Submitted by Fred a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2006

Strengths:    This fork is leet. Its light and super plush. Those that dont know how to tune right probably got an idea that it sucks as I did for the first ride. So yeah the fork is good

Weaknesses:    little flexy for 6 inches

Bottom Line:
Not worth 700 but definetly worth 350, sweet fork, never bottemed out even when i cleared a landing

Favorite Trail:   Mailboxes when built up

Purchased At:   Supergo (now performance)

Similar Products Used:   66rc

Bike Setup:   SC Bullit

Submitted by Jacob a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    Everything. This fork is beastly...

Weaknesses:    It tops out un less you put at least 100 psi in the negative chamber

Bottom Line:
This fork is good. The ECC 5 is the coolest thing ever when your going up Pogonip, it levels you out. I have no idea how that guy blew out the negative air catridge.... he probably put in more than the max 150 psi.

Favorite Trail:   Mailboxes

Similar Products Used:   66rc but this thing is better

Bike Setup:   03 Bighit Comp

Submitted by Bobby Jim a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, California

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2005

Strengths:    It's plush when the seals and everything gets worn in... toatally soaks up rockgardens and 10ft+ drops with ease.
Its lighter than a 66RC that my friends has and I totally prefer this fork over his

Weaknesses:    FLEX!!! it's kinda scary... I weigh about 95 lbs and when I use my front brake the fork flexes towards my frame...

Bottom Line:
If you an still get the 48% discoubt that i got from Supergo go for it. If your chosing between a 66 and this thing - in the long run you'll be more satisfied with the Z150 FR SL. I just took it to Mammoth and it totally out preformed my friends 66rc. Neither fork is worth $700 but if you get it half off like me for $350, its lights fire under ass

Similar Products Used:   Sherman

Bike Setup:   2003 Bighit Comp with Raceface bashgaurd, Atomlab trailking pedals, DHX rear shock

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2005

Strengths:    Stong, Little flex, Very small bump sensitive, Light(ish)

Weaknesses:    Negative air chamber looses pressure, also looses about 40psi from the Negative chamber when you disconnect the pump

Bottom Line:
These forks are excellent, set up is not as bad as others describe - I weigh 170lbs and have 32lb in the +ive air and 150 in the -ive, very plush linear travel - float over small bumps and soak up big hits nicely. The only problem is the negaitve air chamber - perhaps mine is faulty

Favorite Trail:   Super Morzine

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla 125, Marzocchi 66

Bike Setup:   Orange Patriot, "Freeride lite" setup

Submitted by Killer B from Horse Shoe, NC

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, very stiff laterally, ECC control, Marzocchi quality, well know durability. The Z-150 is the world's most used fork by those Pro rider's who win races....

Weaknesses:    maybe if I had to mention something weak, it would be the lock-down clamps for the QR20 axle. I personally haven't had any trouble with them, but have heard of others who have. I don't remove my front wheel during transit, so I just tightened the clamp down real snug & it hasn't come loose since.... If you have to remove the front wheel after each ride, I could see how the clamp could eventually get worn down. Simply replace it with a allen bolt....

Bottom Line:
So far after almost 3 months of use, this fork has performed flawlessly. I can't believe how it handles the larger stuff that I used to dodge on the trails. More control for sure on steep descents. I personally don't use the lockout feature, but hear it works well. The weight savings (1 lb) over the coil model is deinitely an advantage, but I must say that an "air/oil" fork does ride differently than a "coil/oil". Instant repsonse and resistance vs. a progressive resistance (on the coil/oil) is probably the biggest difference.

This fork is tough & well worth the $360 I paid for it NEW on eBAY. I imagine the prices will continue to fall to a point since the '05's are already out. Buy one and it'll take you to the next level, I promise....

Purchased At:   eBAY Dealer

Similar Products Used:   'Zocchi EXR Pro (with air preload stage added). This fork is very good as well, especially w/ the added air assist.

Bike Setup:   2004 HARO Xtreme X2. 'Zocchi Z-150 SL Freeride fork. Hayes HFX-9 DH 8" F&R. Mavic DeeMax wheelset. P'Racer Fire Mud Pro tires. Fox FloatR shock. Ritchey clipless pedals. San Marco Race Day seat.
Here's a "dirty" pic for you:

Submitted by thirdy lopez a Weekend Warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2005

Strengths:    this six in. single crown fork is still and plush when needed im a 230lbs and this takes it all

Weaknesses:    i really have not found any exept for the set up it will take a few more rides but its work

Bottom Line:
ride it abuse it love it.for those who want to gain more confidence in product and on equiptment? the bomber series has set the standard for these why do you think they overshadowed everybody and dominated at whistler? RIDE ON!!! BE SAFE!!!!

Favorite Trail:   rockville/chinacamp/

Purchased At:   super-go

Similar Products Used:   00 Z1 130mm

Bike Setup:   enduro pro for agressive trail with alot of riderload

Submitted by Duncan lighthill from seattle WA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2005

Strengths:    Extremely durable, Alot of fork for the money, very adjustable.

Weaknesses:    very complicated, bottomed on the first day casue i dint have it set up right. its difficult to get it pluch and still prevent it from bottoming and the negative air is hard to get right

Bottom Line:
great fork for the money, real good for dirt jump and freeride. hard to get set up right but once you do its great. ive only had it for 3 days so im still fiddling with it. go not use this for down hill! it will explode!

Favorite Trail:   Greenlake Jumps

Purchased At:   Beyonbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi drop off, rochshox psylo, sherman firefly

Bike Setup:   04 kona stuff with z150, rhyno lites, azonic love seay, hayes hfx 9 brakes, race face diablous stem, azonic fusion mag pedals

Submitted by Victor from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2004

Strengths:    Great overall trail, freeride and light downhill fork.

Weaknesses:    It took awhile to break in and understand the right setup for my riding style. I findly figure out a quick fix for the top out noise and that was to put more air pressure in the negative valve.

Bottom Line:
This fork work greats for what it was intended for. Its nice to have that extra inch of travel over the Z-1 and it is just as plush. I always did like the feature in locking down the fork for the climbs (sometimes on the flats)and enjoying the full travel on the way down. I would highly recommend this fork to anyone that is not a hardcore XC or Downhill rider (leave this to the ones that get paid to ride) but enjoy the finer things in live. Just go out and ride for fun....

Favorite Trail:   any single track rides

Similar Products Used:   Marazocchi Z-1

Bike Setup:   Intense Uzzi-SLX w/Push industries Fox stable platform upgrade

Submitted by PaulN a Cross Country Rider from WalnutCreek,CA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2004

Strengths:    Very adjustable, ECC works great, QR20 is very stiff and holds the hub better than any QR.

Weaknesses:    Negative cartridge blew out four times

Bottom Line:
The negative cartridge is the downfall of this shock. It really works well for a few days or weeks but then you will get a hand full of oil leaking out when you check the negative pressure indicating a blown shock.

After I walked in to Marzocchi in Valencia for the fourth time with a failed cartridge they handed me a brand new Z150 with coils. Marzocchi makes the best coil shocks ever but I would not recommend buying any Marzocchi air shock. I have had the same problem once on the Marathon SL.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel

'04 Z150

Bike Setup:   Uzzi SLX w/ PUSHed FOX RC, Hadley hubs w/ Avid discs

Submitted by Navin a Weekend Warrior from Irvine

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2004

Strengths:    -Very tuneable (it's easyer than pumping up a tire), You can customize it no matter your wight or riding style. Way easyer and less messy than buying a bunch of springs which will cost more than the pump.
-Light wight, it weighs the same as my coil sprung 130mm fork and it's a bomber so it doesn't flex.
-ECC5, easy to use even while riding. Just by switching the lever to 5, then push down on the handlebars. You can lower the front 3", Sweet for those climbs when you have difficulty balancing your weight between the front and rear tire, plus it allows you to breath easyer and saves your back (I'm old so this is nice). When the ecc is set to 3 or 4 it slows the rebound so for moderate climbs you still have compression but the rebound doesn't push your weight back, it feels like someone is pushing down on the handlebar.
-Linear feel, the high volume and low pressure air doesn't feel "bouncy" like the other air shocks.

Weaknesses:    -The only thing I can think of is the initial setup. You must understand things about static/sag height, positive/ negative air, topping/bottoming out, etc. to setup this fork correctly. I just bring the pump with me and "play" with the pressure.
-The major weakness is me, this thing makes me want to go ride every day, I don't have the time!

Bottom Line:
I used to swear by coil springs only, no matter the wight! But I'm not jumping as much anymore, and I wanted to climb faster, so I decided to try an air fork. I was glad I did, It goes over everything and with all the sag drops into stuff.
This fork helps me climb and decend faster, I can't complain...
I recommend this for those who ride over ALL terrain and likes to climb up ALL the hills.
According to Marz. this fork is designed for Agressive XC riding, so all you hucksters and jumpers stick with a coil fork.
I don't recommend this fork for a newbie, the setup is difficult it's gonna feel bad when you don't have it "dialed in". e-mail me for help.
I will post again after I "break" it in.

Ok, now go ride hard and keep the trails open!

Favorite Trail:   Old Dark Hollow, UT.

Purchased At:   SUPERGO

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z1 QR20, Jr-T's, few Manytoos and Rocksucks :0

Bike Setup:   Customized Storm Thunder, with 7" of rear travel and 3 gears up front.
For the major components, XTR cranks, Hayes 8/6". Two wheelsets, one is a WTB DH (I can drop my bike weight 6 lbs just by using my XC wheelset). Easton DH carbonfiber handlebar. Thomson seatpost. The rest XT.

Submitted by Bikerdom a Downhiller from Milton NH USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    This is a repost and I wanted to add that this fork gets better as it gets older.

Weaknesses:    Tricky to tune.

Bottom Line:
After learning to tune this fork(correct oil level, 100-120lbs in the neg. air chamber, go a couple pounds less than the manual post on the recommended positive air pressure). I weigh 180lbs and run 32lbs(manual post 35lbs for my weight). I love this fork. The more I rode it the better it got. Now she's been broken in for 2-3 months this thing is smooth and never bottoms out. I really love being able to pedal this bike. I think the Fox Float AVA RL + the Z150SL creates a great 6 x 6 rocket. What a combo!

Favorite Trail:   Yup that's the ONE!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   OEM on '04 Rocky Switch SL at LBS

Bike Setup:   Rocky Switch SL

Submitted by Billy Boden a Downhiller from winchester, Va USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    Really lightweight for a 150 MM fork,lots of tunability, climbs like a beast locked down.

Weaknesses:    x-pensive, QR20 is a PITA, tuning is difficult for the novice.

Bottom Line:
When I first got this fork I hated it. The oil level was low and it would use all of the travel on a medium hit. I adjusted the oil level and everything got better.Tuning will make or break the performance of this fork. Super fast ramp up of spring rate. Refuses to pack up. This fork has saved my butt too many times. Expensive, but there is nothing else like it out there.

Favorite Trail:   The one that goes down

Purchased At:   Blue Ridge Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Sherman breakout,

Bike Setup:   Z-150sl, Giant AC with 7 1/2" link, Romic

Submitted by Joe a Downhiller from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    -Lightweight air sprung singlecrown with 6 smooth inches of travel. very stiff laterally and very plush vertically.
-The ECC damper almost works like Marzocchi claims! the lock down mode is great if you have to ride uphill to get to the downhill.
-All the black ano looks cosmetically cool- looks like it costs $695.

Weaknesses:    -It will take some time to break in this fork and also patience figuring the optimal adjustment for your weight and riding style. All the adjustments (Positive air pressure, negative air pressure, rebound adjustment and oil height) must be overwhelming for novice mechanics-- according to most of the reviewers below. the owners manual is basically useless, so know what your doing or take your fork or send it to someone who does.
-I personally hate the "QR20 plus" dropout system. its weak and cumbersome. These forks will have the dedicated bolt-on axle and 170mm travel for 2005, so it may be worth it to wait untill those come out.
-The ECC 5 adjuster needs to be renamed the ECC 3 for three usuable positions (fast, slower, lock-down)
Oh and by the way Marzaocchi customer service is a cruel joke.

Bottom Line:
I was initially very disappointed with this fork For a $695 fork this thing had some problems... There was top-out AND bottom-out and the ECC was non-functional when I recieved the fork new. After about a month of use and tinkering with adjustments I got it working decently. Then I rode at Whistler BC and took it to the Marzocchi representative (on site!!) to fix it. Since then the fork has been buttery progressive pleasure.