Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 2004 Front Shocks

4.32/5 (34 Reviews)

The MX series blazes up the trails by delivering lightweight & durable performance in a wide range of trail conditions. The MX series fits the name because these forks are geared for maximum trail versatility delivering predictable steering control and superb damping quality under any conditions. This fork is perfect for those who desire aggressive XC style damping while retaining a feather weight feel.

Submitted by krol a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    Reliability - never, not once had any problems in 3 years and 12k miles
ETA - great uphill because it changes bike's geometry
Price - compared to fox

Weaknesses:    Flex - have seen stiffer&lighter
Weight - have seen lighter&stiffer

Bottom Line:
Great for the price but a lot of flex. Wonder why, cause no other bomber performed like this. Thought it were the frame around headset but changing to fox helped. It tends to get better though, the faster you go. ETA is great - it would use a remote though - especialy during a race

Similar Products Used:   Z1, MX COMP, DUKE, SKAREB(incredible flex)

Bike Setup:   King Kikapu XTR ChrisKing Hubs&Headset

Submitted by Chris C a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Strengths:    very soft yet hard to bottom out, adjustable, eta works well

Weaknesses:    little heavy, doesnt bottom out

Bottom Line:
very good fork, great for xc and smaller drops, but i dont know haw it would hold up with biggger hits. I see this is common, but the dust line is about 30 mm from the top on the travel distance, so it is only going 90mm... for the price, not bad

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek Canyon

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   the unmoving fork on a walmart special

Bike Setup:   03 diamondback w/ xt discs and this fork

Submitted by Don from Jamul

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustability and a rebound control that works. The ETA is great on smooth climbs. Air and coil setup for adjustable sag.

Weaknesses:    I can't get the full travel(105mm) out of it. I'm only getting 3.75 in. of travel with 30% sag. Not too good on fast rocky DH runs. I changed the oil to a lighter weight and did get about 1/8 in. more travel(now up to 3.75in.).

Bottom Line:
Cushy ride; ETA great on smooth steep climbs, but no good on anything with a bump. It is heavier than the XVERT Air.
I can't get full travel no matter what sag air pressure. I emailed Marz. and they suggested a lighter oil. I did that and got 1/8 in. more travel. I emailed them back and no answer. I'm still short on travel. If I hadn't stripped out my Xvert's disc post, I'd put it back on. Nice color and looks and cheap! I'd pass if you are considering this fork.

Similar Products Used:   On this bike(SID 100 & Manitou Xvert air)

Bike Setup:   Tracer XT

Submitted by Brett a Cross Country Rider from The land down under

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2005

Strengths:    the lockout is awsome, without that you would have trouble going up the steep ones, the dampening is great, my old rock shox judys needed servicing after about every six weeks, i have had theese for six months and still as good as the day they arrived oh and they look pretty cool too

Weaknesses:    the dial to change the rebound fell off on mine, no big deal arnen't that great 4 doing jumps(found that out the hard way)

Bottom Line:
great value. i have test ridden some fox floats, they were aswome but for the money these forx are the way to go. the dampening is really good and they feel pretty strong. for the cross country rider theese are perfect

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   rock shox judy sl u-turn

Bike Setup:   giant xtc3 05 model

Submitted by Jim from Andalucia, Spain

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    Perfect XC/Freeridelite fork. Bombproof, maintenance free (used guiding everyday and I've serviced them (needlessly) only once...) Does everything you want it to and has stacks left

Bottom Line:
I ride the 105, perhaps would like more travel, but rarely bottom out on the technical XC terrain I ride day in day out...
If you want a fork to ride and not spend your life fettling, then Marzocchi is the one and the MX Pro is the ideal do-everything-and-then-some aggresive XC fork.

Purchased At:   Bothy Bikes, Aviemore, Scotland

Similar Products Used:   Tried lots of Clients bikes, nothing comes close to the plushness of Marzocchi. Never had a problem on the trail with any Marzocchi fork, seen problems with most other brands...

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETSX

Submitted by Eric a Racer from Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2005

Strengths:    This is for the 105mm fork. Very smooth motion and the air adjustability is great (especially for a light rider like me). Haven't played much with the rebound. The ETA is handy and still gives you 30mm of travel. Soaks up a lot of nasty bumps.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
For the money it is a very good shock. It is a great upgrade for most bikes.

Similar Products Used:   Judy C (came with the bike).

Bike Setup:   01 Rockhopper FSR XC Pro, BETD link (fantastic), Panaracer Cinder tires, Thompson seatpost.

Submitted by Garrett Wiebusch a Cross Country Rider from Edgewood WA USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2005

Strengths:    Great fork i love the eta and the air preload the fork is very reliable great value

Weaknesses:    the rebound nob fell off but if you find it like i did you can still use the nob

Bottom Line:
great fork for a great value

Favorite Trail:   wiebs6@comcast.net

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   juty TT

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardroack comp with hayes nines mavic rims wtb tires shamano drivetrain

Submitted by DEMO_SLUG a Weekend Warrior from SAN JOSE

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2005

Strengths:    good looks.

Weaknesses:    too much travel for an XC fork. too flexy for long travel XC. dampening too weak for 120mm. poor factory support.
I got the 120mm, I don't like the fork. this fork might be OK for XC use, but it can not keep up on a long travel XC bike.

Bottom Line:
You do not get something for nothing. it is under $300 with the looks of a $500 dollar marathon. all you are getting is the looks. a marathon is a much better ride.

I sent the fork to marz to get it looked at. they thought it was fine.

don't get me wrong, the fork is OK. If I didn't ride every weekend, If I didn't like to ride fast, If I didn't like to stand and sprint. If I didn't ride over roots and rocks.

this fork is fine for your girl friend's bike.

value rating is a 1 because I had to buy another fork to get the performance I wanted. overall rating is a 1 because it is a entry level fork.

Purchased At:   www.Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   forks that I have owned: RS mag 21, manitou EFC, RS judy DH(1996), girvin, judy XC, manitou six, Mx pro, Sherman firefly 150mm.

Bike Setup:   2001 marin rock springs. it replaced a 2001 judy XC 100. I also tried it out on my 2004 titus supermoto.

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from chandler

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Strengths:    Stiffness, Solid Feel, ETA

Weaknesses:    None found so far

Bottom Line:
I think the only better fork out there is the Fox. But you have to pay double to get it. This fork impressed me from the first ride. I wish it had some sort of anti-bob feature that was automatic, but the ETA works great. It's definitely a cool feature and makes more sense than u-turn. This is my second bike with Marzocchi and i don't think you can go wrong with them.

Favorite Trail:   holbert

Purchased At:   Cactus Bike- the best bike store ever! Go Fish!

Similar Products Used:   Older manitou, SID

Bike Setup:   Trey Y33- 04 xt, avid mech discs, ryno lite wheels

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Robbinsville, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    Reliable, easy set up and dial in.

Bottom Line:
Great Fork at a great price. I'm not a weight-weenie. I want strong reliable components that don't break after every ride. (1,000 + single track miles a year). This is a simple no frills problem free fork. I set the rebound and air pressure (42psi) 180lb. Haven't touched it since. Smooths out the roots and rocks of north jersey and takes up to 3' drop-ins without bottoming out. This fork does what Marzocchi says it will do.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   psylo xc

Bike Setup:   2001 Marin East Peak, Cane Creek Cloud Nine Rear shock. All Xt components. Thompson stem and seatpost. Avid Mech. disk brakes, Mavic 219 rims, IRC Trail Bear tires

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, ETA, Easy setup, Looks good

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Damping adjustment range is on the light side.

Bottom Line:
I was amazed by the performance of this shock for the price I paid. Performed as well as my old Z1 Bomber with 130mm of travel. I set the shock up per the manual at 50psi and put the rebound at full slow. Took the shock out on it's first ride 41 miles and it felt like it was broken in by the end of the ride. It tracked well, let me climb like a billy goad with the ETA on, and float like a jelly fish on the downhills. I think this is a perfect cross country fork if your not a weight weenie. I was tempted by the skereb and SID for weight, but their flex and hard ride put me off. I am pleased with my decision and give Marzocchi a big thumbs up. I use this bike as a training tool and for me the weight wasn't a major consern. My single speed is 27lbs now, and the front is noticably heavier with this shock (was full rigid). 5 chilis for value, 4 for overall because it's not as light as the Fox Float.

Buy it if your into fast cross country riding.
Skip it if your trying to build the lightest bike on the block.

Favorite Trail:   Brail Trail

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talus, Fox Float, Rock Shox SID, Rock Shocks Judy, Marzocchi Z1 Bomber 130mm, Manatou Skereb, Manatou X-vert, Rigid baby!

Bike Setup:   2003 19.5" Bianchi S.I.S.S.

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2004

Strengths:    Awsome all round shock Love the ETA work mint no bob at all

Weaknesses:    the weight it is kinda heavy but what is an extra 8 ounces

Bottom Line:
a all round good chock for its money it does what it is mad to do very soft ride and the ETA make the ride so much more easyer and i can go over stuff i could on dream about before and faster change time than u turn. mint all but weight but what is 8 ounces

Favorite Trail:   short hills

Similar Products Used:   Physlo xc

Bike Setup:   race cross coutry

Submitted by Brett a Cross Country Rider from Newport Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2004

Strengths:    Paint

Weaknesses:    Crude compression damping technology causes spiking on fast and medium hits, poor customer service

Bottom Line:
Thought this fork was great until I went to the Fox Talas. Of course the Fox was more expensive, but so much better that it's actually a better deal. I sold my zoke on eBay for a big discount. I've learned that it's better to buy what you want instead of being cheap and always looking a "good deal". This fork is about the third or forth component that I've re-replaced after figuring out that you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   El Moro

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Headshok, 2005 Fox Talas RLC

Bike Setup:   2002 Cannondale Jekyll, push'd shock, ck hubs/819 tubless wheels, XT drive train, Avid mech w/fmj, Fox Talas

Submitted by Patrick from Lawrence, KS 66049

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Strengths:    Perfect for both cross-country, and can also easily handle some couple foot jumps with no problem. ETA is a great addition.

Weaknesses:    Too early to notice.

Bottom Line:
Can handle many different styles of riding so everything, this is sometimes a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   Clinton Lake

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   MX Pro, Psylo

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Joker XC, XTR,XT, Hayes discs,Easton carbon.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    Smooths out the trails I ride perfectly. Handles small drops (3'>) easily. The lock-out feature is OK but I don't notice a lot of bobbing on hard climbs unlocked anyway. Compared to the cheap fork that came with my bike the MX Pro ETA is a huge leap in ride and handling. Use it for what it's meant for and you won't be disappointed. Fishcreek, Calgary, Powderface and Moose Mountain Look out are the type of trails and downhill I would limit this fork to.

Weaknesses:    None yet! 195lbs and I have not bottomed out yet. Again, use it for it's intended purpose.

Bottom Line:
Considering the price I paid and the fact the fork was barely used and a pump thrown in, I couldn't do much better. I like riding single track, a little air time and a few obstacles to tackle. This forks suits my needs perfectly. I am amazed at how smooth the trails are now which means I can ride a little harder than before and still have control. I've hit a few objects hard and I am suprised I am not flying over the bars. The forks have sucked it up. No monster drops and you'll enjoy this fork.

Favorite Trail:   Powderface (so far)

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle Classifieds