Marzocchi MX Comp Coil 2004 Front Shocks

3.92/5 (13 Reviews)

The MX series blazes up the trails by delivering lightweight & durable performance in a wide range of trail conditions. The MX series fits the name because these forks are geared for maximum trail versatility delivering predictable steering control and superb damping quality under any conditions. This fork is perfect for those who desire aggressive XC style damping while retaining a feather weight feel.

Submitted by JB a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2006

Strengths:    The fork is firm-not "wallowy"-and can take considerable punishment when it is needed on hard cross country trails. The rebounds are smooth. It behaves like a solid

Weaknesses:    Weight can be a bit of an issue.

Bottom Line:
I have a preference for using steel MTB forks for the reason that you can be more precise in strategically placing the front wheel in rough and rocky terrain and get the springiness of a steel fork. I needed a suspension fork- now that trails drops are much higher and my weight has considerably grown. But other suspension forks did not have the precision I wanted until I used the Marzocchi MX Comp. I had similar control over the placement of my wheel in comparison to the steel forks. Although unlike other riders, I like my forks rather firm for more control and the feeling of a "solid" fork. I allow for play to take those hard drops. Overall these forks are worthy of five flamin' chilis

Purchased At:   180.00

Similar Products Used:   Suntour, Manitou

Bike Setup:   Raceface DH Prodigy crank, RF SYStem, Avid single digit brakes, Sun Rhynolite rims, Deore hubs on a schwinn Frontier hardtail CRMO frame.

Submitted by elwood a Cross Country Rider from Cleburne, TX

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2005

Strengths:    - sweet straight out of the box (I'm 175lbs)
- excellent job of soaking up the rough stuff

Weaknesses:    - if you have tons of money and weight is a huge issue, go spend your money somewhere else.

Bottom Line:
- bought this fork to replace the rigid fork the bike came with. Was able to find the 85mm to keep the geometry correct, and only $169. I had a MX Comp w/ ETA on an old bike and loved it.
- I started out only riding this bike on a local technical trail, but have started venturing out to more and more "rough" trails. Between the steel frame and this shock, I take this bike on all but the worst of the local trails (drops and staircases). Nothing is sweeter than passing a guy with gears.
- works great for the application it was intended for. If you bought it for jumps or big drops you're confused or stupid.

Favorite Trail:   CSP, Dinosaur, Hermosa Creek

Similar Products Used:   - Manitou Black Elite 105mm (on my present FS bike)
- Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA
- numerous Rock Shocks

Bike Setup:   - Kona Unit single speed

Submitted by Sunil a Cross Country Rider from Vienna, Austria

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Very strong, good seals, excellent stiffness and stability. Adapter-free air preload.

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjustments a hassle. Stock springs waaaay too heavy.

Bottom Line:
Great fork for the money. If you are on a budget, you can't do better - Blueskycycling has this fork on closeout now for $180. Would be stupid to buy a less expensive fork.

Setup takes some time and experimentation though. Stock springs are insanely heavy. I'm 180 lbs. and with no air preload I get almost no sag and only need full travel on 3 - 4 ft. drops. Fork handles awesome though, but if you want "plush" you'll definitely need to either monkey with the fork or make a different choice.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Six deluxe, Rockshox SID, Marz. Z-1, Rockshox crap

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper steel hardtail, 85mm fork

Submitted by dave chavez a Cross Country Rider from boise

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    vast experience in the hydraulic industry

Weaknesses:    ya marzocchi forks are heavy even their top end models,you could buy a 2.6 lb rock shox piece of crap if all your worried about is weight coil and oil rules!

Bottom Line:
I suggest to the guy below to use only 5 psi air preload and the reccomended oil level the rebound seemed fine on the original factory settings seems to work fine except on mild rolling terrain no big deal maybe you have a defective fork? I am so impressed with this company that I just purchased the marzocchi marathon for my new hardtail .

Favorite Trail:   bogus backcountry

Purchased At:   cambria bike

Bike Setup:   2001 fuel 90

Submitted by Earthpig a Cross Country Rider from Boise

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Strengths:    lateral stiffness
slightly more travel/cush than a rigid fork

Weaknesses:    Actual travel (65 - 70mm) is less than stated (85mm)
"adjustable" rebound is NOT adjustable
stock springs not progressive - too stiff at low end and too soft at top
very noisy at top-out while climbing
heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork (2004 MX Comp coil, 85mm stated travel) from Jensonusa.com a couple of months ago on sale. Even at $180, I did not get my money's worth for this fork - not even close! I've been riding my SS rigid for a couple of years and finally decided that my old bones need some cush up front to take the edge off. I used to own a 'Zoke Z2 Atom 80 that had similar features (coil-oil, about the same stated travel), so I thought maybe 4 years later Zoke would have ironed out the kinks on this basic design. Nope. First, I've never gotten more than maybe 75mm of travel from this fork, even after dumping about 1/2 the oil out! I weigh about 170, so with the stock springs, I should be able to get the "185" mm of stated travel. Nope. With no air preload, the fork sags about a half inch, but you blow through the remaining travel even on small bumps - the springs are too stiff at the bottom of the travel and too soft at the top. If you add air preload, you might get 55mm of travel. Then there's the rebound "adjustment," that requires you to pretty much disassemble the fork to change the rebound dampening. I've tried to adjust it and never could feel any difference in the speed of the rebound - this thing either pogos all over the place or packs up mercilessly on fast downhills. Finally, there's an annoying "clicking" noise coming from the fork while climbing. All in all, while it is a tad bit more comfy than a rigid fork, I can't say anything else good about it.

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   1998 RS Judy T2, 2000 RS SID XC, 2001 Zoke Z2 Atom 80, 2003 RS Psylo XC, 2004 Fox TALAS RLC, 2004 Fox Float 100

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1 SS

Submitted by Dave Chavez a Cross Country Rider from boise idaho

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2004

Strengths:    infinitely tuneable, company reputation, value.

Weaknesses:    heavy, however this is the price to pay for a fork that performs well in this price range

Bottom Line:
I am familiar with oil and coil type forks, haveing a backgroung in motorcycle fork tuneing, the performance of this fork is exceptional if set up right, progressive suspension is the goal, this fork soaks up the small and big hits quite well, only thing lacking is lock-out, I hope to buy a new bike soon with the marathon fork I am very impressed with Marzocchi, yes you could buy a lighter fork, but nothing performs like oil/coil,only other option would be a fox fork if you have the money. I installed a heavier spring this substatially corrected fork sag/preload.

Favorite Trail:   silver city

Purchased At:   cambria bikes

Similar Products Used:   manitou, rock shok

Bike Setup:   2001 trek fuel 90,extensive upgraded replacement parts

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Grants Pass, OR

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Way too soft, No rebound dampening at all. Very springy fork.

Bottom Line:
This fork feels just like the ones on my little bro's Magna. Not sure what they made these for, too soft for pedaling, bottoms easy and has no top out dampener. Cant take any drops over 4 feet. Very dissapointing coming from Marzo.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Boxxers,DNM USD-180's

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Poland

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    Works great, soaks up actually everything on my track. Looks cool and outperforms almost any fork unless you are doing big drops.

Weaknesses:    When I got it was overfilled with the oil, I had no more than 50 mm of travel. Now I have set it to 85-90 and it works fine.

Bottom Line:
If you are one budget and look for great performance and looks be ready for it. It's my second Marzocchi and I must admit they are outstanding.

Favorite Trail:   all mountains

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   So many...

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with deore discs.

Submitted by David Andujar a Weekend Warrior from Spain

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Strengths:    Rigid,sensitive, simple. Recomended for hardtail bikes. If you don´t want technnical sofistication, and just be on the trail this is the one.

Weaknesses:    Need experience to set up the fork.It´s my 4th MX fork so I knew what to expect for, and how to do it.

Bottom Line:
If you take out the springs and use the fork 100% air you´ll get a fantastic XC fork 3,74 pounds. Change the oil to sae 10, and keep seat while climbing. Going down with moderate jumping it´s great. No reability problems with this fork, I have a Z4 since 5 years ago and not even a leak.

Favorite Trail:   Single track

Purchased At:   Karacol Sport

Similar Products Used:   EXR PRO, MX COMP ETA, Z4Flylight

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F800 with full XT and DT wheels

Submitted by Maxx Long a Downhiller from Oakland, California

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Strengths:    First off, the travel 100mm works flawlessly, i come from a jumping background(mainly bmx) so i still enjoy the thrill of getting air, marzocchi did an outstanding job making this fork, it also is farely good going up the hill

Weaknesses:    heavy, don't like the decals but because they can be ripped off but thats not really a problem

Bottom Line:
I personally think this is a outstanding fork, it works very well busting 4 foot to slite inclined drops at fair spead. I wouldn't do any ten footers but i do like the fork(i save that for my bomber) marzocchi has outdon themselves.

Favorite Trail:   downhill or all mountain

Similar Products Used:   judy, dirt jumper

Bike Setup:   ibex stock

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Crofton, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    Adjustable preload and rebound
Handles well in tight corners
Fairly light
Looks awesome

Weaknesses:    Not really adjustable on the trail

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome fork for the price. It's mainly a cross country fork, but it can handle a bit of agressive xc, although I wouldn't recommend doing any 10 foot drops with them. This fork is probably light enough to race if you want, but it's not feather light. I have the 85mm version with adjustable preload via an air pump and internal rebound adjustment, so you can't really make any adjustments on the trail unless you bring your shock pump with you. The fork is very responsive, it soaks up all the bumps very well and it handles well under speed. There are versions available with more travel if you want. Overall this is an excellent fork and you can't get much better at this price.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tzouhalem

Purchased At:   EbaY

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Bomber Z5 (air)
InSync 326

Bike Setup:   Kona Blast with Marzocchi Mx Comp coil (85mm) with air assist

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from Califonia, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    Adjustability with rebound, looks?

Weaknesses:    much to soft

Bottom Line:
i dunno what this fork is supposed to be used for. it's too soft for any kind of drop, or trail riding cause it soaks up all your effort. it is easy to adjust rebound so thats kinda nice.