Manitou Skareb Super 2004 Front Shocks

4.32/5 (25 Reviews)

Want an XC racing fork that’s light, blessed with excellent bump eating abilities, AND steers in the direction you point it? Skareb is your only option. This year we’ve stiffened up the Skareb Super’s hollow crown with longer skirts, and further refined the magnesium RA casting; important upgrades considering all Skarebs are now offered in a 100mm travel option. For the first time, you can own a superlight 100mm travel fork with the stiffness to tackle even your most aggressive XC outings.

Submitted by DirtMgirt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Way too much flex, leaks even after seal replacement

Bottom Line:
This fork would be ok for light trail riding, but that's about it. The fork flexes like a wet noodle. I'm no light weight (190 lbs) but I've never had this problem with other forks. When you brake hard on the front brake the wheel will move a good 2 inches or more backwards due to excessive flex. The narrow stanchions are just not good for serious trail riding. The fork also leaked oil even after seal replacement. It leaked air, but took a few weeks or more to leak down. I installed the correct spring for my weight and it performed ok, but not great. I got rid of this fork and went to a Rock Shox SID, much better and about the same weight.

Favorite Trail:   DFW trails

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SID

Bike Setup:   2010 Rockhopper Expert

Submitted by g-hed a Cross Country Rider from Gisborne, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2010

Strengths:    Very Light weight, very plush, good lock out etc... I could go on but you wouldn't have time to read them all.

Weaknesses:    Nothing! As yet...

Bottom Line:
No matter what any other reviews say, these shocks do not leak any air what so ever, for the whole year I have been using the Skarebs, I have never ever had to pump them up once. These are the best shocks I have ever used and they give you a great ride, even better when paired with my setup of Vredestien Tiger Claws and No Tubes Tubeless Kit. They are very plush, and although I run them at a very low PSI, I have never been able to bottom them out although I am a very aggressive rider. On top of that they look great and are very light weight. I managed to purchase these at a great price, a lot less than Sids and I am very happy with my purchase. Also, the knob on the top of the shocks is very easy to adjust even when wearing gloves and hurtling down a rugged mountainside at 60+kph, disabling the need for a heavy remote. All in all a very great reliable, high quality shock.

Its good to see 99% of other users share the same views.

Purchased At:   TradeMe

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Sid

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 2000 (2002), FSA XC-300 wheelset, Vredestein Tiger Claw 2.4, No Tubes Tubless kit, Manitou Skareb Super, Deore LX Drivetrain

Submitted by Miki a Cross Country Rider from Belfast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, very plush and very responsive. Great looking too.

Weaknesses:    Worry a little about the lockout if i forget to flick it off. Maybe a little flexy?

Bottom Line:
Very smooth, very light and generally a great fork. For the price I paid (£65) i was not going to get a better fork. Have ridden Sid's before but they feel a little too flexy for my style of riding. If these Skarebs were 100mm they'd be perfect.
If Skareb Super's turn up in the second hand market and in good condition, go for them!

Favorite Trail:   Ballinastoe, Wicklow

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Duke SL, Rockshox Sid Team

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC carbon/alu composite. Skareb forks, XT, Hayes.

Submitted by Marquism1 a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Strengths:    Light, smooth through its whole range, totally reliable to date.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I worry about with this fork is the remote lockout switch, which is pretty fragile.

Bottom Line:
I really wanted a nice light XC fork with remote lockout and have been generally happy with Manitou forks in the past, so I picked this one up on eBay. I've been extremely happy with it. It's over a pound lighter than the Marz Z3 it replaced and has far superior ride quality for the way I ride (fast XC, tight singletrack, lots of climbing and fast descending). Depending on the day and trail, sometimes I set it plush or stiff by adjusting the air pressure, but either way it is smooth through the full range of its travel. And it really does use it's full range. With the old Marzocchi, if I set it up stiff enough for some rides it would use about 1.5 inches of travel no matter how hard I hammered it. If I set it up plush, it would be too squishy. This fork has plenty of range between plush and firm, so it's actually possible to find the happy medium that eluded me with the Marz. I'm a longtime mechanic and have rebuilt every fork brand many times. Manitous are pretty easy to work on and understand and this one is no exception. This is an excellent fork that has exceeded my expectations.

Favorite Trail:   If I told you, you'd ride there and we can't have that...

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Many Marzocchi, RockShox, and other Manitou forks

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar LE hardtail

Submitted by Marc from NJ

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    Solid as a rock. I have abused this fork for 3 years now and have done zero maintenance to it and it keeps on tickin'. I weigh about 175 and have had no issues. I have raced on it now for all three seasons as well and I can't say enough for the durability

Weaknesses:    None. Maybe not as plush as my Fox shock on my FS rig.

Bottom Line:
Although many new and improved models are out now, and this review probably won't matter much, I must say this fork has been awesome

Favorite Trail:   anywhere fast

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Rock Shox Sid race

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown Team hardtail. Xtr

Submitted by Andy a Racer from Little Hill, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2006

Strengths:    Light-at 3.5lbs, i swapped it for my SID(3lbs) for better ajustability. Rebound damping control is nice, light air fork

Weaknesses:    no compression damping, has earned the nickname 'flexy-flier' as it does whatever it feels (which generally involves flexing) when I apply the brakes (xtr rims), i call it manipoo when it leaks air (about every week I need to pump it up)

Bottom Line:
feels a bit better than a SID, same price, and less than 1/2 lb heavier...works great as a XC race fork (bare bones). If you want a fork for better trail riding or anything bigger/gnarlier than XC racing, steer away from this fork.

Favorite Trail:   B-17

Purchased At:   git yer eBay on!

Similar Products Used:   ....talas 36RC2

Bike Setup:   GT zaskar, skareb, full ex.tee.arrrrr

Submitted by Jim Richards a Cross Country Rider from Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2006

Strengths:    a light fork, very strong, doesn't flex w lockout adjustment

Weaknesses:    oil change is awkward and takes awhile to get the adjustment dialed in.

Bottom Line:
I like this fork alot but probably wouldn't be great for riders who are 175 lb plus and into FR & DH. the fork is nice and light, comes in at about 3.5 lb which is perfect. I've had the lighter RS and Marzocchi units but found they wobble and flex all over the place and the RS requires endless adjustment.
This Manitou took awhile to get the right adjustment with oil level and air pressure so I would suggest following the manual to the letter and BE PATIENT! Once dialed in I can hammer over anything and not feel a thing, with no wobble or flex. the lockout made a convert outta me too.
I would suggest for the few who didn't like this fork they probably didn't spend the required time dialing it in.

Favorite Trail:   Brookvale

Purchased At:   Jensen's

Similar Products Used:   rock shox, manitou, marzocchi

Bike Setup:   Litespeed with XTR/sram setup

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Strengths:    Light, great travel and incredible customer service. This shock is a great shock, but what makes it awesome is the customer service. I sent in an old shock that didn't lock out and they replaced it with this one. I did have some problems with it leaking, but they sent me seals and oil to fix it up.

Bottom Line:
Get Manitou, they stand by their products and the guy, Bobby, that handles the warranty and repairs is awesome.

Thanks Manitou!

Purchased At:   Warranty from Manitou

Submitted by JESUS a Cross Country Rider from ENSENADA, BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    super light and very thin, lockout is great for going up a mountain, and without lockout absorbs bumps super great going downhill, and it's look's great.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork, it is light and absobs bumbs very well and it goes where you want it to go, the lockout is great for going uphills, it's thin and it looks great, perfect for XC.

Favorite Trail:   EL CAÑON DE DOÑA PETRA

Purchased At:   SUPERGO

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Axel

Bike Setup:   2003 Cannondale F300, Shimano XT and Cannondale parts.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Strengths:    SPV valve is cool, very versitile.

Weaknesses:    Only use fully open, and fully locked out. I blew out my SPV valve, talked to a friend at a bike shop and he said that isn't that uncommon if you put the bike through a regular beating, which is what is supposed to be designed for. Got a new one under warranty, learned my lesson. Locked out or open the whole way.

Bottom Line:
Good Idea, bad follow through.

Favorite Trail:   East side river

Similar Products Used:   Skareb non-SPV I broke the cross member.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS 2 mostly stock.

Submitted by Spencer a Cross Country Rider from West Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2005

Strengths:    Lockout is great for getting to and from the trail and all the real flat areas. Great dampening. Nice and light but handles most of what you throw at it. Has kept air very well.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Did a bunch of bike upgrades in 2004 summer including new rims so I replaced the crap Manitou six shock that came on the bike for this wonder. It has been great so far and I look forward to another great year of riding. It soaks up everything I have thrown at it. The lockout is perfect for the mile road ride I do to get to my everyday mountain bike spot. If you get the opportunity ot find this shock at a good price, below $300, go for it.

Favorite Trail:   Vulture's Knob (Wooster, OH)

Purchased At:   downtube.com

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500 with Bontrager RaceLite XC ceramic coated wheels, XTR/XT drive train, this fork, and the rest is stock.

Submitted by Eric Roth a Cross Country Rider from East Hampton, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2005

Strengths:    Super light and plush. In today's world of super beefy forks, this was exactly what I was looking for. Low profile, XC design without an extra external size or beef (i.e. Duke Race). The silk blue color is unlike anything thats out there and really sets my bike apart. This thing takes every hit I throw at it.

Weaknesses:    Loses air too quickly when disconnecting from my fork pump. Solution: over pump. Sometimes a little too plush.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line? I have tested a lot of forks and I don't believe anyone can touch Manitou right now. Fox is excellent, but too beefy. This fork is the perfect balance of price, weight, and performance. It takes huge hits with confidence. To be honest i'm sick of reading MTBR reviews where 230lbs riders complain about every part they buy breaking or blowing out.. hmm, I wonder why? Don't buy a 3.4lbs fork if you're in that weight range. The lockout on this fork is also second to none.

Favorite Trail:   Gypsy Moth

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Fox RL 80mm, Manitou Mach 5 SX

Bike Setup:   Fetish Cycles D&S frame, XT/XTR, Kooka Bonnie Crankset, Mavic Crossland Disc wheelset, Avid Mechanical disc brakes, custom iPod Shuffle handlebar mount. 25 lbs.

Submitted by Ryan from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Strengths:    Really light, lock-out

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
After almost nine months of continuous racing and riding on Nevada and Tahoes finest terrain, the Skareb is rippin' as hard as it did when I bought it. All oil and air levels have maintained and each adjustment has performed incredibly. If your want a great xc racing fork, go with the Skareb Super. If your riding style is heavy and lazy and your overweight or 180+ you may want something that has wider stantions. I give this fork a full round of slim peps again!

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Judy SL

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1

Submitted by Petr Celba a Cross Country Rider from Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    Plush, provide full travel, adjustability, light, lockout mode is really stiff and has no play

Weaknesses:    None so far, may be only 80mm travel, but I want to upgrade to 100mm if it is possible

Bottom Line:
I`ve ridden it since May this year, when the conditions here were very indifferent. This fork suprised me by it`s plush travel, it takes the almost smallest rocks and roots. The lockout is also a good thing when you need to climb a hill. If you want an upgrade, Manitou is going to make hadlebar mounted remote lockout, I will upgrade it as soon as possible.

Purchased At:   Came on a bike

Similar Products Used:   Poor Suntours and RSTs

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Triomphe 04, Pell`s component`s, Sram X0, Manitou Skareb Super and QRL shock, Magura Louise brakes

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Strengths:    (100mm) Very plush out of the box (and later, as well...); light; very adjustable/tunable; uses all of its travel, etc...

Weaknesses:    None unless you take it out of it's intended use or weigh too much for a light XC fork.

Bottom Line:
About the 100mm travel: I wanted a little more travel to my 80mm geometry hardtail but was leary about handling issues. I've been very pleased with the handling of the 100mm Skareb Super--it's better on downhills, and still climbs and corners well.

About the ride qualities: It uses its full range of travel very smoothly. I was initially surprised to see (by the dust line) how far into the travel I had been on a given ride. On my previous forks, I always knew when I had reached full travel because of the harsh bottom-out.

About the adjustability: I have really been reluctant to go with an air fork after the X-Fly experience as I thought coil forks had a much plusher ride. As far as the 100mm Skareb goes, it is very plush, and changes in the air pressure setting are very noticeable. The lockout is great for occassional road rides. I am not one to do a lot of out-of-saddle hammering, but the lockout would be great for those that do. The compression damping range does not seem noticeable in the early settings (you have to turn it a long way towards lockout before you notice the compression slowing). The rebound has a broad range from straight pogo to slow as molosses.

About quality: There were some quality control issues (small casting leak in one outer leg), but Manitou pretty much has a no-questions-asked attitude as far as warranty goes. As for a previous poster complaining about color choices, you can always order a different colored set of lowers for a good price (look at the parts breakdown in the Owner's Manual) The various colored lowers listed there to not come with model-specific graphics if you order them. For example, I replaced the black lowers with "Candy Red" and they really look great with the blue metal-flake bike paint. They have the Skareb lettering down each leg, but no adjustment guidlines stickers or model stickers (looks cleaner to me).

Bottom Line: If you are not too heavy and want a plush, adjustable, light fork, the Skareb Super 100 is a great choice.

Favorite Trail:   Local: Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Can't say

Similar Products Used:   Own bike: SX-R, X-Fly 80. Tested: many others.

Bike Setup:   01 Homegrown Pro, hand-built wheels (Dave Thompson/Mike Garcia), XTR/XT mix (except old LX crank), Avid mechs, etc.

Manitou skareb super 100mm 2006

Just picked up a 2006 GF Big Sur with this fork and about 220 miles. The fork is spongy to say the least. I am 6-foot 210lb. I don't have a good pump handy and my pressure gauge maxs out 75 psi so I am not sure exactly how much pressure is in it. I know it has 75lbs though. I can bottom it out no p ... Read More »

Manitou Skareb Super 100

I know there was a thread about getting downloadable manuals for suspension forks, but when I go to the only one I know of, the page does not fully load so I get nowhere. Any other options for the above mentioned fork?Read More »

'03-'05 Manitou Skareb Super

So because of events explained in this thread, my bike is now forkless. I've been graciously offered a good deal on a Skareb Super (not sure of the year, working on finding that out) by another local rider. I weigh in at about 185lbs, so maybe 195-200ish with all my gear. I don't ride anything ri ... Read More »

04' Skareb Super leaking...

My 04' Skareb Super has been leaking around the top of the compression damping assembly. To be more specific, it seems to be leaking around the small shaft that the compression adjuster knob attaches to. I say this because, when you take the knob off, oil is pooled in the series of holes in top of t ... Read More »

Manitou Skareb Super Fork Set Up

Hi All, I have a 05 Azure Expert with this fork, I need help with setting up the SPV valve on it, what should I be looking for it to do. Thanks ChuckRead More »