Manitou Skareb Platinum 2004 Front Shocks

4.53/5 (15 Reviews)

Skareb Platinum is the new top-of-the-line cross-country fork from Manitou. It leverages stable platform valve (SPV), the latest in anti-bob technology to produce a fork that is stiff when you need it (climbing, sprinting) while being completely active over bumps and rocks.

Submitted by santacruzsl52 a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, WA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2010

Strengths:    Light, weighed in at 1400g.
Very Plush
Smooth Travel
Easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    None..

Bottom Line:
2005 Manitou Skareb SPV

This fork gets the job done. I havent used the SPV valve at all really, i like my fork to be plush and take all the small bumps and this fork does it. When racing season comes back around ill probably play with the SPV valve. I used to have a Manitou 3 way swinger rear shock and the Spv was like a lockout with blow off.

Anyways good, light, sturdy fork. Have had no problems with it. At 1400g, there is not much out there thats lighter.

Get this fork if you like riding singletrack and care about having a light front end.

Dont buy it if your a downhiller. Simple enough, XC fork, XC riding

5 chili's for value, it was $60..
4 chili's for overall, its a good fork but i know there is much better.

Favorite Trail:   any...

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float 100, Fox Float 120, 2001 Sid race, 2002 Sid SL, RS Tora 318.

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Azure, weight weenied at 22.9lbs, but still trail worthy.

Submitted by Craftsman a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, slim design, performs well on many XC trails.

Weaknesses:    No lockout, rebound damping is super fragile, fork leaks oil, Manitou's terrible customer service!

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork for 100 bucks and rode it one time after installing it new. Apparently, if you turn the rebound adjuster on the bottom, it leaks oil like a Jeep. I sent it to several fork repair companies and found that Manitou stopped carrying parts for it. When I called Manitou, they had no recommendations or information as to go about fixing it...so I bought a zocchi instead.

Favorite Trail:   Big Creek

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 44 RLO, TST2 Air, or Rock Shox Sid

Bike Setup:   Old School Kona Cromoly with Zocchi and Shimano parts

Submitted by alex t a Cross Country Rider from santa monica

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    Super light, paint job, ease of adjustments

Weaknesses:    so light b/c made of zinc, magnesium, plastic...be careful not to turn rebound knob too hard

Bottom Line:
This is a GREAT FORK. Period. All forks have their benefits, but I don't like too many bells and whistles, and hate adjusting--like to set it and leave it. I go to work through the mountains, on fire roads and light trails, and this thing is a savior.

If you can't deal with a little bob, add more air or get a fork that has a lockout. I do plenty of XC/ commuting and the bob I get is minimal, I put about 75% of my bodyweight in the SPV side, and 50% in the other side (pretty sure--thats what Manitou told me) so I am with the other guy down there that was thrown off and confused by the "20-60 lbs" on the sticker). I throw all stickers away...dont know why they had that on there.

I also broke the rebound knob off (little fragile) but Manitou was super cool, helped explain the whole 75%--50% thing to me (which worked amazingly) and actually sent me a whole new inside piece to replace the rebound adjustment...BUT once I added the air the way they said, with the rebound maxed out on high?? I havent adjusted it/ fixed it b/c for commuting/ cyclo having the rebound maxed out is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   sm mountains

Similar Products Used:   rock shox sid/ judy, manitou black, fox talas/ vanilla rc

Bike Setup:   currently trek 990 (tri--butt pretty high geometry for mtb) cyclo stylee with mavic adap for 700 ksyrium elites& gatorskinz (think up to a 700x28 will fit in the skareb) all xtr 8 sp, xtr v's

Submitted by Jesus Del Rio a Racer from Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight, stable, plush

Weaknesses:    Bobs when standing, no lockout

Bottom Line:
I bought a OEM version of the super that came with SPV. Great fork, it is plush and very stable. Great for the rocky terrain that surrounds my city. The 100 mm are excelent for scary descents in rocks. The weight is slightly more than the previous SID Team that I owned, but the performance is much better. The only flaw is that it bobs when you are pedalling while standindg. You have to set the preassure on the SPV valve high to almost eliminate this, with a penalty in the confort of the ride. I normaly have to adjust the SPV to the trail conditions. Normally for a race I crank it all the way up to 85 lbs and for a long ride to 65 lbs.

Similar Products Used:   Marzochi Z1, SID Team

Bike Setup:   Salsa Caballero, XTR, Race Face, Cross Max, Skareb Platinium, Hutchinson Mosquito

Submitted by lvm a Cross Country Rider from woodstock, md

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2005

Strengths:    100mm of travel, SPV, weight is not bad, black crown/legs looks good. Al steerer.

Weaknesses:    not the lightest

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 100mm version. So far I like the fork, lots of travel. It's the first 100mm travel fork I've owned. It's a little bit squishy, but you just ride it out. I found the extra travel helps toward the end of races when you are fatigued.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   colorado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   older Manitou SX-Ti, RockShox SID

Bike Setup:   GIANT NRS

Submitted by Jason Hill a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, NZ

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth, light - compared to other 100mm forks, stiff - compared to SIDs.

Weaknesses:    Have to agree with others about the tech support at Answer/Manitou. The SPV instructions and sticker don't match each other and I can't find any additional tuning instructions on their site. The rebound adjustment knob was very stiff to start with but after a servive at the LBS it is much better.

Bottom Line:
I rate these forks. The SPV was a little disappointing to start with but my LBS has a very good mechanic who re-valved them to have the newer SPV Evolve which has improved them a lot. There are plenty of adjustments to play with which makes setting up fun or hard depending on what you are into. I just took the small SPV volume adjuster tool with me on the first few rides and have ramped up both the SPV chamber and the main air spring so they get stiffer near the end of their travel. You can also get firmer or softer ride kits for them if you need which is nice. I am get 95mm + of travel often which is wicked compared to my old trusty SIDs with 80mm. If you want something that offers more travel than a SID without a massive weight penalty then go for these.

Favorite Trail:   Craigieburn, NZ

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   2000 SID XC

Bike Setup:   '05 S-Works Epic with a mix of XT and XTR with CrossMax running Stan's No-Tubes setup.

Submitted by Bruce a Cross Country Rider from Johnson City, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2004

Strengths:    Very comfortable going down. Lots of adjustments. The no-bob technology is very helpful as I often ride 20 minutes on the road to a trail.

Weaknesses:    Technical support from Manitou is non existent. The manual instructions on inflating the right tube (for the SPV) say 50-100 lbs but do not match the sticker on the shock saying inflate 20-60 lbs. Repeated emails to Manitou tech support through their website or directly to confirm which is right go unanswered. I'm going by the sticker.
It will still bounce when you sprint. If that is not something you can accept then you need a lockout. I prefer the convenience of SPV over a lockout, though a lockout may be a little more efficient.

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice fork. Wait for a model year-end close out and it is worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Cherokee Mountain (not on any trail map)

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Scarab elite

Bike Setup:   This is on a Giant NRS2 which has the no-bob rear tail design, so this is now an overall no-bob bike. One of my rides involves a 45 minute climb, and this really climbs like a hardtail. Very efficient.

Submitted by Jay from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth, supple, light. It can handle the biggest hit and still not throw you off your line. It took a couple rides to dial in the settings, but once you have it... You can take lines and speed that you only dreamed about before.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This fork brings your control and speed up to a new level. I've ridden it on the Tsali trails in NC (smooth and fast), many local trails here in SE MN (blufflands, tight singletrack, lots of roots, water slickened rocks), and trails in Wyoming (fast descents, killer climbs, boulder fields). No bob on the uphill, except when you stand and grunt (so sit and spin- its technique that counts). It absorbs whatever you throw it at, smooths it out, and hands it back to you with a smile.

Favorite Trail:   Headquarters, WY

Similar Products Used:   Judy Race

Bike Setup:   Marin Mt Vision, XT, Race Face, Avid, Cloud 9.

Submitted by Neels F a Racer from Eatern Cape South Africa

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    Its stiff enough, but still sensitive to bumps.Much better than Rockshox Sid team. Excellent went seated, but do not attemp to stand up.

Weaknesses:    It needs a lockout if you stand up, as I get about 3cm travel grinding up a hill. Its difficult to setup correctly. Manitou should give better setup instructions and guidelines tables such as weight vs pressure etc

Bottom Line:
Its a fantastic fork, but I miss a lockout feature, as I cant handle the bobbing when not seated. Overall, I will recommend buying it, unless if you prefer standing, when pedalling up hills.

Purchased At:   Manitou SA

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox sid team

Bike Setup:   Raleigh RM 9 hardtail with full XTR

Submitted by Anamous Anamous a Racer from Idaho Idaho U.s

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, the spv really works as it said. very ajustsable.

Weaknesses:    nothing so far

Bottom Line:
I like more than the world cup but the f80X beats it
i didn't like having to lock the fork out on the sid
so i tried this.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Sid world cup
Fox F80X
older fox's

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 98
and does it matter that much?

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Andover, MA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2004

Strengths:    Silky smooth, light, stiff, and the SPV works as advertised!

Weaknesses:    Expensive if you get it at retail ($500+)!
Is it reliabe?
It is bomb-proof?

Bottom Line:
I've been looking to upgrade to a new front shock for a while now. My trusty 1998 'Zoke Atom Bomb still worked fine but I thought it was getting tired. I wanted to replace it with something just as reliable and bomb-proof the Atom Bomb. Weight was a non-issue, but I'd take a light fork if I thought it wouldn't let me down.

Rock Shox was out of the running right away. I have a SID SL on my Giant NRS Air and its like a wet noodle. I use it for racing, but I won't use it for training or normal trail riding because I think its too fragile. I purchased a 'Zoke MX Pro w/ETA for my Blur last year and I like it a lot, however I was holding out for a clearance sale on the FOX F80x.

Then Jenson had the Skareb Platinum on sale for $300. I couldn't pass it up even though I never had any experience with Manitou forks. I've heard about how smooth their TPC forks were, but I couldn't believe how smooth the Skareb was on the very first ride! The fork doesn't bob when pedaling or climbing while seated! I'm still tweaking the SPV, but I don't know how it can get better than this!

I still don't know about reliability. I'll update this next year or before that if I break it.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Atom Bomb, Marzocchi MX Pro, Rock Shox Judy, Rock Shox SID SL

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Pisgah, RaceFace low-riser bar and stem, XTR drivetrain w/ SRAM Rocket Shifters, XTR V-brakes, CrossMax Tubeless, Panaracer FireXC Pro

Submitted by Lance Stephenson a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town /RSA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2004

Strengths:    The fork is too good. It rides every bump likes it a downhill fork. It suffers from the same disease Jack-russel terriors, they think they are great Danes. This is great, i've raced xc for 4years now and have gone through the ranks of manitou's stable of xc forx, i thought my '03 skareb super was good (it is) but this fork just shames it. it is stiffer than the older fork( maybe psycological) but the travel is so accurate and "true". the SPV is legendary, i am fortunate to work in a shop and have good relations with Rob Cunnington (Manitou race Mechanic) and have the low down on how each setting/adjustment effects the fork(5 adjustments rebound, air, air volume,SPV-air, SPV volume) and within 2 rides i've dialled in the fork so sweetly, i have tinkered further since then but only minor tweaks for detail!

Weaknesses:    i would say for those not super technically minded and fortunate like me to know Rob, the SPV setup could be troublesome, but it is so good even setup badly that those coming off cheaper forks will think it's the bomb.

Bottom Line:
buy it if you want an xc fork to ride stiff to help you pedal better, and you want to be plush like your neibours 5 inch trail fork.

Favorite Trail:   Grabouw

Purchased At:   Cyclelab (where i work)

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox Judy race, Manitou SX Ti, Manitou Skareb Super

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Pro '04(like the blue more than s-works) skareb platinum fork-obviously-thompson elite stem-5', scud carbon flat- 3'Xtr STI, Avid SD Titanium,Mavic x717 ceramic rims, XTR hubs, XT Cranks, with the 22t removed, FCM760series(external bb, XT front der, XTR rear NORMAL SPRING, XT cassette 11/32t, Easton ec70 carbon post, selle san marco aspide carbon/ti saddle,time atac carbon pedals, odi lock-on grips

Submitted by Craig Vernon a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, stiffness and quality

Weaknesses:    No lockout! Yes, even with SPV a lockout would be handy.

Bottom Line:
I have had zero problems with this fork and it was well worth the upgrade and shaved nearly a pound off the bike. I have ridden it hard for about 4 months now. I bought it in January on assignment to Silicon Valley and rode around Santa Cruz trails a lot with the MBOSC crew and had a flamin' good time. Some of them even said they liked me because of the forks!!! (Yeah I'm lying on that score) these forks will give your bike personality.

The SPV works well when seated but they move a bit when out of the saddle, not too bad, but when you are on the road getting to the trail, I have though a lockout would be handy. You can ramp up the SPV to max but then it gives a less supple ride so there is a trade off. That said, I have mine dialled up pretty high and the ride quality is great.

Favorite Trail:   Royal