Manitou Six Six 2004 Front Shocks

2.92/5 (12 Reviews)

The Six is designed for the entry-level rider who doesn’t want to sacrifice performance. Key features include 28.6 mm stanchions, convertible travel from 80 mm to 100 mm and a new Reverse Arch casting.

Submitted by Leonard a Cross Country Rider from Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    * cheap
* looks good

Weaknesses:    * Heavy
* lack of adjustments

Bottom Line:
Not a very good fork...

Similar Products Used:   Fox 32, Rockshox J3, Rockshox Dropoff, Votec.

Submitted by James Rose a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Strengths:    Solid shocka for the price.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
The 74mm post-mounts make it difficult finding adaptors to suit disc brakes. Does anyone know what kind of adaptor will allow the fitting of Deore BR-M515 front mech disc brake with a 160mm disc? My LBS (which is good) didn't have anything.

Bike Setup:   Avid, Deore LX, SRAM

Submitted by Matiss a Weekend Warrior from Thunder Bay

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, Looks Cool

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Compresses most of the travel when I sit on the bike, Post Mount Disk mounts, Doesn't do much soaking up of bumps

Bottom Line:
Don't get this fork. I does not do what a suspension fork is supposed to do, like soak up many bumps. It's heavy too. Tried to install new disk brakes, and had to get a special adapeter. The adapter needs huge bolts which I could only find at a Home Depot (three bike stores and a local hardware store didn't stock these huge bolts). If it comes on the bike you are looking at, don't get it. They are strong, and do look cool.

Purchased At:   Rollin' Thunder

Similar Products Used:   Old RST 281, New Marzocchi AM1

Bike Setup:   '05 Jamis Durango

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, Fl, US

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2005

Strengths:    The price couldnt be beat. I got this fork at Jenson's website for $75.

Weaknesses:    Actually on the first day of use I noticed that one of the seals stuck completely to the stanchion and popped out of the lower assembly. I tried over and over to get it to stick back in but it prefered otherwise. I called customer service and they sent me a new lower from the Six Sport. I have yet to replace it.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a reliable, cheap fork for the daily commute. The Six has only been one of those things so far ($75). While the warranty department was very friendly and quickly sent me a part to fix the problem I dont feel like I should be doing the warranty work myself on a defective product.

Favorite Trail:   Santos & 49th Ave

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Axel Elite

Bike Setup:   This is my commmuter beater bike. Its a Trek 3500 with the Six fork, LX-Rhinolite Rims. Its been a good bike for riding back and forth to school.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Wake Forest, NC

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Looks wonderful. Great trail riding- very soft on hard hits. very discreet, quiet, and practical. AWESOME for a stock fork.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortably soft to ride on roads for long distances. non-adjustable (Makes Braking feel ineffective, since it goes down.)

Bottom Line:
If you've always loved biking and would like to get more serious- and see a bike with a manitou six six fork on it, buy it. it usually indicates the bike is good. Do not buy it if it doesnt come stock on a bike simply because its not road-compatible and can be tiring on cement. otherwise- amazing fork and dont plan on changing it untill it breaks down on me.

Favorite Trail:   Hmm....

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods on bike

Similar Products Used:   none, first of its kind.

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Warrior disc. $350 bike with all i need on it- front\back hayes, t6 aluminul, 24 speed, truvativ, acrea, ect..

Submitted by Greg Notmyname a Cross Country Rider from Aplace,Thatsin,USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2004

Strengths:    Well to start it is kinda cool lookin. It handles suburban riding pretty well.

Weaknesses:    Flex is rediculous. The PL adjust doesnt do much.

Bottom Line:
Well, I like the fork for my use(X Country), it wasnt made for jumping. It can handle a foot or two drop and take it like a champ but any more and you probably will break the fork. It is a great fork if it comes on the bike because it does not drive up the price of the bike greatly. I can enjoy a good trail with this one and not fear anything but inexperience. As for it turning to a rigid, man you got a defective fork and should just return it, I've given mine a cross country beating and it is perfectly fine. My only gripe is that it flexes quite abit. I weigh 155 and when i stand up and pump the rim rubs both of the front brake pads. The wheel moves visibly and it is on there TIGHT. So yeah it is a good fork, just not something I would upgrade to.

Favorite Trail:   Whateva

Submitted by Brandon from Johnson City, TN

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2004

Strengths:    Preload adjustment, convertible travel, build quality

Weaknesses:    The stock spring is too soft for most riders.

Bottom Line:
This is my first suspension fork which came with my new bike. I had fallen out of the sport back when Rock Shox was the only thing going and they were super expensive so this is my first. For a fork that came on a relatively value priced bike, I think it's quite good. I've found in the 2003 model manual for the Six, it references that the stock spring in this fork is intended for riders 150-170 pounds. That seems a bit ridiculous to me since most riders I know are at a minimum 170 pounds.

As for it breaking....forget about it. I'm 265 pounds. I was 280 when I started on this bike and fork. I've been doing intermediate single track with tons of roots, rocks, branches and trees and this thing is taking a beating. Though it's a bit soft due to my weight (need to get that firm spring kit), you can say this fork won't take a beating. It's not made for taking monster drops but it will definately take an aweful lot given the weight and force I'm making it support. If you can break this fork, then you are just abusing it and/or not using it for it's intended purchase. Don't try to make it a jumping and 15 foot drop fork. If you want to do that kind of thing, then you're going to have to fork out the bigger money...you can't be a cheap ass and get a product that will take that kind of hits.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   Raleigh '04 M60

Submitted by tom Becksted a Weekend Warrior from Tucson

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2004

Strengths:    Keeps my tire on.
Doesn't talk back.

Weaknesses:    No damping control.
Damned heavy (4.5lbs)

Bottom Line:
For the price, I think its a decent fork. I wouldn't pay more than $75 though. Damping knobs don't do anything but spin around & its heavy. I used it on rocky trails & roads where it performed as designed.

Don't get this fork if your going to do any jumping/dropoffs. After a few jumps (actually alot) & some short drops, one of the boots practically blew up & i see some kind of oil/grease seepage....

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Stock on G.Fisher Marlin

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Pilot C, SID Team

Bike Setup:   G. Fisher Marlin: XT (front/back),Thomson Elite (stem & post),Monkey Lite XC bars, STOMP pedals, Rock Shox SID Team

Submitted by Jerry Macrame from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2004

Strengths:    Let's you steer the bike!

Weaknesses:    Everything! This fork seems OK for the first couple of times you ride it, then it turns into a rigid fork!

Bottom Line:
This fork blows chunks! Do not "upgrade" to this fork. If it came with your bike then ride it till it's toast and get a MArzocchi or fox.

This fork doesn't even have standard disk brake mounts! WTF?!? You have to buy an adaptor to put on real disk brakes!

Bottom line, this for is a downgrade from a rigid fork because it performs the same, but weighs more!

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith

Purchased At:   Peak

Similar Products Used:   My crappy Mozo M30 fork is WAY WAY better than this thing!

Bike Setup:   Came with friend's Jamis Durango.

Submitted by thomas bixby a Cross Country Rider from colorado springs

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    adjustable travel durable

Weaknesses:    no oil dampening

Bottom Line:
Great shock for the price a little bouncy because of the lack of dampening. I can hit 3 foot drops all day with this shock. I dropped my bike really hard against a rock and it didn't hurt the shock at all. This shock is great for a entry level XC rider.

Favorite Trail:   captain jacks

Purchased At:   old town bike shop

Bike Setup:   gary fisher marlin

Submitted by Kyle a Weekend Warrior from Fall River. Nova Scotia , Canada

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    will take a beating, look good , preload adjuster, can bounce on them.

Weaknesses:    the disk brake mount is different. nothing eles realy

Bottom Line:
There great for coming with a $$300 bike. u can realy have some fun on them. they take the bumps out of the trail realy well and realy keep your tire on the ground.

Favorite Trail:   wopper dropper

Purchased At:   Sportcheck (came with bike)