Manitou Sherman Breakout Plus 2004 Front Shocks

The crown jewel of this year’s Sherman line is the world’s first-ever 170mm single crown (that’s roughly 7 inches), the Breakout Plus. Utilizing onepointfive standard and SPV damping technologies, the Breakout Plus is more than a pound lighter than its closest single crown competitor, with more travel and far more adjustability. On top of it all, Sherman has proven himself an homage to durability with 32 mm stanchions, Evil Genius Seals and Semi-Bath lubrication, and a beefed up Reverse Arch casting with Hex-Lock Axle

Submitted by J a Downhiller from van

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Strengths:    Good for overall riding. I can dj as well as do downhill runs on them. Havn't done much drops on them so I don't know about that.

Weaknesses:    Total piece of trash. I have broken it 4 times. Its the same thing everytime the fork stiffens up and barely moves. Rebound is slow but that is only a problem if you don't like slow rebound, I got used to it and it is perfectly fine now. DO NOT BUY THIS FORK.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THIS FORK or any other Manitou for that matter, the y all break a million times. You will spend more time sending your fork in for rebuilds than actually riding it. Its a good fork when it works but it just isn't worth it.

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   King fisher 1

Submitted by JORDAN WINNING a Downhiller from SCOTLAND

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2006

Strengths:    PAINT JOB STRONG

Weaknesses:    SLOWWWWWWWWWWW REBOUND SPV

Bottom Line:
GOOD FORKS BUT TRYED BETTER

Favorite Trail:   FORT BILL

Purchased At:   ALPINE BIKES GLASGOW

Similar Products Used:   888RC2X BOXXERS

Bike Setup:   KINGFISHER STOCK

Submitted by andrew a Weekend Warrior from rochester ny usa

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2006

Strengths:    full ajustments speed of rebound up and down great for urban assault flat or tranny does 7' to flat easy

Weaknesses:    blew the seals on the left side dirt jumping compresion to quick heavier oil weight helped

Bottom Line:
good fork for the money

Favorite Trail:   rochester urban assault

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi 66 rc

Bike Setup:   cannondale gemini 900 fox dts vanilla in the rear, maxxis tires, lizard skin lock on grips, easten platform pedals

Submitted by Mark a Downhiller from Cleveland, Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, great for going big on a single crown fork.

Weaknesses:    rebound dampening valve blew out

Bottom Line:
The 1.5 forks are great, real stiff, and have lots of travel. Not the plushest travel but still nice. For a single crown fork, this is great. I am about 195 lbs and would crush the stock spring. So I got the X-Heavy and it works like a charm. Blew the rebound out and had to send it back to Answer Products. Lets hope you never have to go through this hassle!!! It took several months of calling and emailing them to "get er done". They upgraded the guts of the fork and put a new top crown on it so that was cool. Overall a great single crown fork with lots of adjustment options!!

Favorite Trail:   Mohican DH

Purchased At:   Spin Bikes (Came on bike)

Similar Products Used:   Shiver SC Forks

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse SGS Team

Submitted by mouse jockey a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2005

Strengths:    Light and Stiff, looks cool.

Bottom Line:
I really can't say enough good about this fork. This is not a pure DH fork but a fork made for hucking. I routinely drop 6 foot drops with occasional 10 foot to transitions so that is about as big as I have taken it. Has worked flawlessly in rain and in the desert, uphill and downhill. The SPV works as advertised for the uphill with some small bump compliance lost when locked in the shorter setting. If you ride your bike up and downhill I really can't recommend a better fork then this one due to it's strength for the downhill and the light weight for going up. There you go.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Sherman Slider Plus, Marz Super T, Marz Junior T, Manitou Sherman Firefly

Bike Setup:   Yeti AS-X with SRAM, Juicy 8 inch rotor, and Race Face components, Maxxis Tires

Submitted by todd a Downhiller from Rado

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    Great feeling
SPV
Stiff
Hex thru axle

Weaknesses:    Its leaking from the one leg

Bottom Line:
altho its leaking i love the fork, works awesome, feels great and all that jazz

Purchased At:   500.00

Similar Products Used:   z1 boxxer dorado avy dhf ti

Bike Setup:   none currently sold the frame for a new one

Submitted by Radie Rider a Weekend Warrior from SouthTexas USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2004

Strengths:    Good low end damping, stiff with the 1.5, tracks well on single track, rips the down hills and takes drops and jumps well. All around a good fork and much lighter than the comparable zokes. Very good on rock gardens and technical root sections. Also very controlable in the air due to the light weight.

Weaknesses:    Too early to tell. Not as adjustable as the zoke but who cares. Feels better without having to dial it in.

Bottom Line:
This is a really good fork!! The greatest benefit compared to Z-150 is the weight difference plus an extra inch of travel. The fork inspires confidence for several reasons. It is the stiffest and lightest single crown. The zokes are great forks as well, but they are much heavier than the Sherman. The weight difference is very noticable as I have used both forks for all kinds of riding. For a do all fork with 7 inches of travel, this is your best bet. Not sure about the SPV debate, mine is the TPC and works excellent.

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   04 Z150, 04 Z1 Freeride, Jr.T, 66RC demo

Bike Setup:   04 Gemini, DHX 5.0, MRP, Hayes, Sun, Breakout Plus, Maxxis 2.7, etc.. etc.. etc..

Submitted by Dee from Europe

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Strengths:    progressivity, stiffness

Weaknesses:    SPV, SPV, SPV

Bottom Line:
I wonder if we are all writing about the same fork. The truth probably is that we are not expecting the same thing from a fork. Yes this one may be great for drops but I failed to tune it up to absorb small bumps. Someone is saying that his from wheel is just stuck to the ground. I only believe that if it comes from the guy who got them OEM on Gemini, SPV free. I tried 05 Nixons and I am sorry to say that for my style of riding (I want to go fast and smooth, carving with my front wheel on the ground...) SPV is a dead-end. Breakout + is a very good fork, but SPV destroys it for me.

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   03 Sherman Firefly, 05 Nixon

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Edinburgh, Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2004

Strengths:    Look pimp

Weaknesses:    Everything else!

Bottom Line:
Yet another follow-up post in this saga. They've now been back to the UK distributer 5 times now and are still not sorted. Sticky travel is now limited to 5 inches with a very harsh ramp-up at the end of the stroke. Then, on a ride last night, a loud crack signalled the loss of ALL damping. Like riding a pogo stick. Sod this. I'm buying some 66s!

Also, speaking to the distributer, the recommended service interval for these is 12 HOURS. That's right. 12 hours. This might be possible if the bolts weren't made of cheese and strip whenever you try and turn them. Hmmm...

Sorry about the rant, but I've had enough of these "forks". I'm off to get some bombers that are happy with an oil change and check over once every 6 months. I understand that I appear to have a lemon set here, as everyone else seems happy, but I thought I'd let you all know.

If there was a negative chili rating, these would get them!

Bike Setup:   Gemini, 5th, Hayes, Mavic/In-house cannondale.

Submitted by Martin a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    SPV is killer if you take the time to set it up right. Fork is smooth, stiff and light for a 7".
Travel adjust is handy.

Weaknesses:    Rebound damping is poor compared to a Marzocchi.
Initially makes you feel dirty riding a Manitou, a company whose past forks I have complained about and hated since the Manitou 1 (I was a bike mechanic for 13 years).
The Canadian distributor,OGC should be strung up for price gouging, I try to support local shops when I can and luckily RVC went out of their way to try to match what I could have mailordered it for. Although their COST was higher I paid the extra to support them. The Can dollar is worth almost 20% more than a year ago and OGC has barely changed their prices!

Bottom Line:
An awesome fork, the Z150 is a nice fork but for the extra 2lbs, inch less travel and weak crown it is a step below.
The best thing you can do to improve the Breakout is to put 7.5 weight oil in it especially if you like a slower rebound, this also lessens the annoying top out clunk when in the 5" mode.
I have used this on epic XC rides in Moab with no complaints, just dropped it into the 5" mode on the uphills and opened it up on the long downhills.
It has worked flawlessly freeriding in Fernie and Invermere, and absorbed everything I could throw at it in the North Shore and Whistler (at least up to the point where I shattered my Tibial plateau in a fluke fall - seriously, 3 feet to landing on my feet).

Favorite Trail:   CBC/Bogeyman

Purchased At:   RVC

Similar Products Used:   Marz Z1,Z150,DJ2&3, Shiver, Talas RLC, lots of others.

Bike Setup:   04 Joker 1.5, NS cranks, Hayes, E13 DRS, 321 wheelset and 219 wheelset.

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Single crown - light weight, stiff, SPV rules!!!, cost

Weaknesses:    NONE - ABSOLUTELY NONE

Bottom Line:
The fork rules. SPV is the best thing since sliced bread!!! The SPV not only elimates bob but it improves handling dramatically. You can actually feel it as you rail through turns. You may have to minimize steering movement because the SPV sticks the tire to the ground and thus makes turning extremely precise. This fork is bottomless, dropped 8-10 feet and the fork just continues to soak it up (I'm 145 lbs). The single crown allows you to turn on a dime with the only flaw being that it may spin around when you crash. If Manitou would only make an 8" single crown then the world would truly be a better place!!!

I have two of these forks and both are performing flawlessly with zero problems. My wife has the Slider Plus on her bike and it performs almost the same. Personally I prefer the single crown. I think having the 1.5 steer tube improves the handling versus the 1 1.8 steerer on the Slider Plus.

Unless you can swing a 8" Dorado MDX then this is the fork to have (freeriding or downhill racing).

Favorite Trail:   Windrock

Purchased At:   mtbreview

Similar Products Used:   Boxxer, Jr T, 03 Breakout, Slider Plus

Bike Setup:   04 SGS-DH Pro with 5th Element

Submitted by Chris Herraghty a Downhiller from Edinburgh, Scotland

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    Work for 6 months...

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last very long...

Bottom Line:
I'm just writing this as a follow-up to my previous post.

Following a drop, these forks compressed and stayed down. Damn. Turned out that the rebound assembly was monkeyed. Back to RAW in Edinburgh (UK distributer) and they were back soonish, but felt crap. After the next time, they "upgraded" them to SPV. Oh my Lord! I've NEVER ridden such a bad fork! Anything less than a kerb and these just didn't move! And that was with minimum pressure and and the volume adjust wound right out. (I'm 12.5 stone too).

I asked if they could put them back to TPC+ damping as before, as they were totally sweet whan they worked. 2 months later and I'm still waiting for the parts. Apparantly a lot of people are having their forks un-SPV'd as they also think it sucks, hence the massive shortage of TPC+ parts! Hmm. Bakc to the drawing board, Manitou. You suck!

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla, Bombers (various)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Gemini, Hayes, LX/XT, 5th Element

Submitted by David Evans a Downhiller from Wenatchee

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    Don't let your friends riding jr t's intimidate you. Don't let your friends with super t's fool you. You got a Breakout Dog! There is nothing like it. Rocky Mountain knows best. There top of line Switch comes with one.

Weaknesses:    People laughf until you drop it on them.

Bottom Line:
I heard someone hesitant to hit 15 footers. DONT BE! This fork eats it up. The ridder makes a diff also, you land right, and this fork is hot! I am sure a 888 feels better, but a 888 is also over a g and weights over 8 with not much turning radius and a bunch of people keep breakin' em. I have it 30ft road gaps and 15 ft drops with my 6" Breakout, and no problemo! This fork is Marzocchi's daddy! MAKE A DC ONEPOINTFIVE AND HAVE IT BE 10" YOU BIG PIMPS! MANITOU IS KICKIN' ARSE. Ride your jr t boy, a kid with a single crown is on your tail about to show you up.

Favorite Trail:   Mine

Bike Setup:   Cannondale C-Dog Redbull rampage winning Gemini! With crap worth more than the bike itself

Submitted by Joker 1.5 a Downhiller from Sea-town, WA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    Single crown 7", that's unheard of!
not heavy: 5.8lbs
Super-duper plush feel, no bobbing coming out of big drop ins

Weaknesses:    Your bike must have a 1.5 steerer up front, instead of the 1 1/8" standard. A lot of bikes don't have this.

Bottom Line:
Marocchi has some serious competion here. I like this shock a little better than the Junior T.

I ride the shore tough and this shock is worthy, it hanldes the drop ins and recovers quickly and smoothly (no bobbing). Take my word for it, this shock kicks some major a.s.s. and SPV rocks too! The 1.5 steerer feels super beefy.

If your into a variety of mtb styles this fork offers it all. When I crank it over to 5" my bike turns into a fast cross-country bike. When I switch back to 7" it can handle big hits, no problem (having an Ellsworth helps too).

5 Flamin Chilis!