Manitou Minute Two 2004 Front Shocks

4.41/5 (27 Reviews)

Manitou's Minute line offers their new stable platform valve (SPV), one of the most sophisticated damping technologies ever developed. With SPV, your fork is extremely active, soaking up bumps, but highly resistant to pedal induced bob.

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2012

Strengths:    super smooth, controlled
light

Weaknesses:    had to rebuild once but has taken a beating
occasional clunk noise when rebounding

Bottom Line:
Top notch performance, less than perfect reliability

Favorite Trail:   Bonshaw Trail, PE, Canada

Similar Products Used:   Judy Air, 03 Duke SL, 04 Bomber MX Comp, 10 Tora SL

Bike Setup:   Spec FSR Comp, Evolve cranks, XT components, Minute 2:00

Submitted by racerpete a Racer from Kendal

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2011

Strengths:    Fantastic plush fork and unbelievably light for the amount of travel. SPV really does work when riden properly. Last forever!

Weaknesses:    Do not work so well on bikes that are not designed for long travel forks as they alter the steerer angle too much.

Bottom Line:
Simply the best for all mountain, not really made for XC racing. Best trail forks I've owned.

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Strengths:    Sucks up the bumps, holds a line, excellent adjustability, sweet ride!

Bottom Line:
Outstanding fork, I like it more with every ride.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Woods

Purchased At:   Rock n' Road

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shoxs

Bike Setup:   2005 Kona Dawg, Hays 9, Minute 2:00

Submitted by steven burgess a Cross Country Rider from white water

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Levels the terrain for you, I rode a cannondale headshock and a manitou six prior to this. The difference from the headshock to the six was noticeable, but the six to the minute was night and day. The 2:00 has given me more controll over the highspeed areas of a XC trail, and increased my proficenties in low speed technicals. The fork maintains a constastant stiff state that improves efficiency, and climb potential greatly.

Weaknesses:    its orange, other than that I can not find any other weakness

Bottom Line:
buy the damn fork

Purchased At:   Joels Bike Shop in 1000 palms CA.

Similar Products Used:   manitou six

Bike Setup:   cannondale F300 frame, manitou minute 2:00 fork, Rhino Lite rims with XT hubs, Hayse disk brakes, shimano rapid fire shifters, panaracer fire XC tires, FSA head spacer, coda crank set, crank brothers mallet pedals

Submitted by Graham from Phoenix, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, Durable, Plush!

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This fork is very good. Sometimes it seems too plush, but you can adjust that. For me anyways, I weigh in at 130 so its great. Those 200 and above will probably want something stiffer, and maybe thats where the people complaining about plushness come from. At high speeds this fork soaks up gravel... amazing. At low, technical speeds, it doesnt do anything. Which is exactly what I wanted. SPV and everything is great. Get the fork, you cant go wrong.

Purchased At:   (through a friend)

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox PILOT XC Air

Bike Setup:   2004 NRS3, some aftermarket :-/

Submitted by Bob the Builder a Racer from Cahlifonia

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2005

Strengths:    Um...looks cool...um...ya.

Weaknesses:    um...don't own it yet...um...ya

Bottom Line:
Um...ya...sweet....yah. BUY BUY BUY!

Favorite Trail:   you

Purchased At:   Cowcle Soilutions

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy TT...loid o'crahp...um...ya

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 w. Deeore,and...um...ya...thahts it.

Submitted by Simeon a Cross Country Rider from Greece

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Strengths:    SPV, stability, 130mm, weight!

Weaknesses:    the stickers come off easily

Bottom Line:
It's the best fork. Very light. I've used the SPV volume once to find the best for climbing and I forgot it since then. Climbs like a rigid fork. It's so sweeeet! Buy it.

Similar Products Used:   Psylo

Bike Setup:   2 wheels and 1 stumpjumper fsr 120!

Submitted by chris hart a Cross Country Rider from blacksburg va

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    This fork has completely changed the feel and performance of my bike. Tipping the scales at over 200 lbs I have had horrible issues finding a fork that that will support my weight when climbing and still be plush enough for the technical stuff. This fork is a godsend. The SPV is incredible as it gives a very stable platform for climbing (almost as efficient as a lockout) and then completely transforms and absorbs the bumps with a consistant plushness!

Weaknesses:    Only that the stickers are beginning to come off!

Bottom Line:
Awesome fork especially for a noob on an average CC/FR bike. This fork could potentially make any rig better.

Favorite Trail:   VA creeper Trail

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi EXR Pro, Rock Shox Duke

Bike Setup:   04 Haro X2, Minute 2:00, Fox Vanilla, Race Face DH crank, SRAM 9.0 drivetrain, Sun Hill Rod Rims, Hussefelt DH Stem and Bars, Hayes One Discs.

Submitted by Tien a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Manitou Service, uses motor oil

Weaknesses:    SPV is finicky.

Bottom Line:
My original 04 Minute Two makes a clunking noise when it tops out, giving you the feel of a loose headset. After adjusting the rebound, dampening, change dampening oil, it still clunks. I called Manitou service, and after I finished the description of the problem, my Minute was diagnosed with a "Sticky SPV" valve issue. Since it's still under warranty, Manitou mailed me the replacement part. I opted to do it myself because I can't help my need to know how. I've serviced Rockshox forks before, but Manitou is a bit easier. They use motor oil except for the dampening.

I heard the SPV in the 2005 is better made. The bottom line is that this product is good for the cost, and since the manufacture is willing to fix whatever wasn't right with the product, it made it okay.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jacks, Chutes

Similar Products Used:   Pyslo Race Air

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade

Submitted by ian a Weekend Warrior from South Australia

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2005

Strengths:    SPV, low maintenance, , travel

Weaknesses:    some oil leavage

Bottom Line:
Fantastic shock, sturdy for rough stuff smooth for climbing and power holds through turns and burns to assist in controlled cornering. Best forks I've had.

Favorite Trail:   Prospect Hill

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Psylos

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 2 with 4 way Manitou rear SPV

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Big Lake, MN USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    Very smooth, travel perfect for trail riding. SPV works pretty well, never even think about having a lockout.

Weaknesses:    Lasted than 50 miles! Horrible reliability. Bringing it to lbs where I bought my bike to see what can be done. Almost $2000 bike and shock lasts 50 miles.

Bottom Line:
I hate the fact that this shock already is broken. I saved for years to get a nice bike and it is already broken. I fear how long this problem will take to get resolved. I will post again when it is over. Very dissapointed...

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   Monitou Black, Rock Shox SID, Cannondale Lefty

Bike Setup:   All stock Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0

Submitted by Roberto from U.S.

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    Well, it feels great. Smooth action and lots of adjustability... too much sometimes.

Weaknesses:    Reliability and poor customer service.
I am the service manager at one of the largest shops in our metropolitan area. Two of us have Minute twos because they feel great and offer excellent adjustability, but! Both of the forks are back at Answer/Manitou right now because of bushing problems. They also told us 48 hours turn-around time and it looks like they will be pushing more than a week. It's been 4 days since they received them and they haven't even been processed yet! This would be a very crappy situation if these were customer's forks. Though, come to think of it, it's even crappier because it's mine!

Bottom Line:
I think this fork is made for a particular group of people. The SPV works when setup correctly and when used with a stable platform rear shock that is also setup correctly, it provides a great balance. I've ridden my Blur with different forks (the aforementioned bomber) and diff. rear shocks (Fox float). Changing either dramatically reduces that wonderfully balanced, "stuck to the ground" feel that I love the Blur for.
Oh, almost forgot, the Minute works best going fast. At slow speeds it doesn't soak up small bumps very well. But at high speed it does great. I'm looking forward to getting it back and hopefully it won't break again.

Similar Products Used:   Coil Bombers.
My 01 bomber has been through 4 bikes and is little out of date, but I swear it feels better now than it did 3 years ago.

Bike Setup:   SC Blur with 5th element rear shock.

Submitted by Brad Herder a Racer from Pittsfield, MA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2004

Strengths:    100mm of super plush travel.

Very nice feel to it when recommended SPV pressure is used.

Very harsh ride if enough SPV pressure is used to prevent bobbing while standing.

Noticeably lighter than my Black.

Weaknesses:    WARNING - SPV is NOT a substitute for Lockout.

I was under the impression when I bought this that SPV was like lockout and would prevent "pedal induced bobbing" while sitting OR STANDING.

Well, after using it for a week and tinkering with air pressures quite a bit, it appears SPV prevents the fork from moving until a certain amount of weight is applied to it. So, you put a moderate amount of pressure in the SPV side and the fork doesn't budge as you pedal while seated (or on small hits especially while going up hill where very little weight is on your front wheel). If you stand bring your weight forward, the fork to squishes down big time and if you pedal standing up, it bobs horribly - worse than any fork I've ever owned.

You CAN prevent bobbing while standing by putting a lot of pressure in the SPV side, but then, the fork is pretty much rigid at all times and only moves for big hits, and it seems to have a bit of a kick to it even on the big hits - giving you a pretty much horrible ride at all times.

When I read "prevents pedal induced bob", I thought, they would have accomplished this by sensing the speed of a hit because your pedalling cadence is slow compared to hits from running your wheel over rocks. However, speed of the hit has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you stand up SLOWLY and move your weight forward the fork sags down - a lot. If you then pedal while standing, it bobs like crazy.

All Manitou has done is produce a fork that doesn't move until a certain minimum amout of weight it applied to it.

SPV is not the rocket science I assumed it was. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed.

Bottom Line:
The fork has an absolutely fantastic feel to it - when adjusted to prevent bobbing while seated only.

If adjusted to prevent bobbing while standing, you'd be better off with a rigid fork since they'd both feel about the same but the rigid fork would be lighter.

The 100 mm of super plush travel is horrible for racing if you like to stand at all.

I'm very disappointed. I just paid a ton of money for a fork that isn't what I expected. I feel Manitou should let consumer's know what preventing pedal induced bob really means "seated" pedal induced bob, not standing. Actually, it has nothing to do with pedal induced bob at all. That fork has no idea what the pedals are doing.

If you're a racer - don't buy this fork.

If you're a non-racer and want a really plush ride, go for it!

Favorite Trail:   Hucker's Choice

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black 80/100 with Lockout, which I was happy with but the lockout keeps failing.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 1, SRAM 9.0 stuff, Avid mechanical brakes.

Submitted by JT a Cross Country Rider from santa cruz ca us

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Strengths:    light weight 3.6 lbs,tunability,spv works,stiff and precise,sucks up big hits when needed yet real stiff when pedaling.

Weaknesses:    the lowers are off center!!!! the lowers set my wheel over to one side by 4mm!! thats alot(my wheel is perfect true/dish)
had the shop switch out the lowers for a new one that manitou sent but its still offset!! watch out for this!!

Bottom Line:
works good as a crosscountry/epic ride fork (not a freeride fork)light,strong,BUT the offcenter problem may cause me to return it!(im working with warranty dept)

Favorite Trail:   gazos creek

Purchased At:   ABS

Similar Products Used:   fox 125 rlc, heavy but a great fork!R.S.duke good fork light also.

Bike Setup:   blur,xt,minute 2 130mm

Submitted by mountainbyte a Cross Country Rider from ct

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    Amazing shock once its set up right.

Weaknesses:    Takes a few rides to dial in just right, seems a little heavy off drops and jumps, (bike seems harder to land on both tires vs. front first...).

Bottom Line:
This shock is for someone who has some experience with an air shock, and wants the next chapter in great suspension. I don't know the difference between this shock and the 3:00, but if I need a new one, I can't imagine the 3 could be so much better than this. It's for anyone who does not want to stop and fiddle with adjustments on a ride.

The minute 2:00 is practically the soul of my XLT 2. On my way to Westwoods it acts as if its locked out thanks to the SPV air chamber. Then when I hit the techs it strokes very nicely, and predictably. My Psylo was as plush but the lockout stopped working long ago. Plus, my Psylo required constant fiddling on the trails, and was sloppy and flexi after the first month.

Adjustments... This shock is set it and forget it. There's some experimentation involved in the initial set, but don't be afraid to use all the settings (Rebound damping, Air spring on left, and "lower limit resistance" that could have been a knob on the top right, but is a bolt, probably because the whole philosophy is to elminate the need for mid ride fiddling as the Psylo requires.

Mine is set so that the SPV is around 50, the red hex nut I mentioned is turned inward 1/4 to keep the shock from bottoming and the Air Spring left leg is about 110psi(I weigh 190).

I entered my first race last weekend. Most of the other bikes were XC bikes. I passed 2 on the hills, I could see their 80mm forks moving. As long as I could stay in my seat, the fork acted as if I had it locked out. I conserve a lot of energy without having the bob factor to worry about.

Favorite Trail:   WESTWOODS

Purchased At:   Cutting Edge

Similar Products Used:   Psylo SL, Fox, SID XC 100mm, others...

Bike Setup:   Stock Jamis XLT 2 2004

Skareb Platinum vs. Minute Two???????

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I am looking to upgrade my X-vert super on my Tracer this season. I am a pretty light guy (150 lbs) but don’t ride with finesse. I race and my recreational xc riding is done in fairly technical terrain (lots of rock gardens and roots). I have been eyeing the Skareb P ... Read More »