Manitou Black Super 2004 Front Shocks

High-end damping (with lockout) and a lightweight air spring are the Super’s cornerstones, but the rest of the foundation is comprised of 30mm stanchions, our latest generation Reverse Arch magnesium casting, and the option of either 100 or 120mm of non-adjustable travel.

Submitted by DIYguy a Cross Country Rider from Mishawaka, IN

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    Adjustable air spring, TPC dampers, 30mm stanchions, Fairly lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Need to precisely measure oil level for the TPC dampers in order for it to work properly.

Bottom Line:
I,m submitting this review for a used fork. With new fork prices getting so expensive, I feel there is a need to review used fork purchases.
The fork was in fair condition, the usual trail riding wear damage. It also needed to be overhauled. After replacing the seals and some o-rings, reassembled it with the proper oil. It worked, excepted for the lockout. I rechecked the oil level for the TPC damper. I added a very small amount of oil. This time it worked. You need to precisely measure oil level for the TPC dampers in order for it to work properly.
This fork is almost 5 years old, it's working great for x-country riding! It's plush, has only minor bobbing. Air, compression and rebound are very adjustable.
If you can't justify spending $300-$500 for a fork. Look at buying a used one.It's a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lake

Purchased At:   Used on eBay

Similar Products Used:   Duke XC 80mm, Skareb 80mm

Bike Setup:   Mongoose NX8.3 full suspension

Submitted by wilhelm a Cross Country Rider from leipzig

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap. This is for the 100mm Super Air SPV.

Weaknesses:    SPV doesnt work, they (Centurion) offered me a repair on warranty. Thats ok so far, but a new fork should work.

Bottom Line:
Dont buy these forks unless you are ready for repairs coming up, they are way below the quality known from Answer. Better save your money for a Reba SL.

Purchased At:   new on ebay

Similar Products Used:   Minute3 (great fork)
RebaSL (the best)
Judy
EFC

Bike Setup:   CC Fullsuspension

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Strengths:    Nice finish, easily adjustable, plush ride.

Weaknesses:    Too linear in it,s travel, but then it's airsprung. Coil version is more progessive.

Bottom Line:
This is a plush fork for pleasure riding even the knarliest trails. However, pushed close to the limit and the available travel is quickly used up. Somewhat linear in it's travel and big hits should be avoided. Bobs incesantly when hammering out of the saddle. Grandpa would like this fork.

Favorite Trail:   100

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Duke, Rockshox Psylo, Maitou Minite 1:00

Bike Setup:   Shimano, Thomson, Hutchinson

Submitted by Ryan from Jamestown

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2005

Strengths:    its fairly smooth and is pretty sensitive to bumps

Weaknesses:    its way to soft and makes cracking noises if i hit the front brake hard

Bottom Line:
i beet the living hell out of this fork and everthing works fine.ive have had no problems with oil leaking and stuff like that.the rebound and lockout have worked great but the travel adjust has been kinda crappy.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   black comp,rock shox

Bike Setup:   trek liquid,with carbon fiber bars, panracer tires, xt
shifters,race face stem,firm spring in fork

Submitted by mark simpson a Weekend Warrior from finstock,oxford,UK

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Strengths:    adjustable,lightweight, was only 130 quid from ebay

Weaknesses:    see below

Bottom Line:
these forks were brought for some dirt jump and light freeride and did the job great the travel adjust is perfect for freeride or dirt jumping and the rebound works great also so does the lock out the weaknesses were that the air pressure was a bit weird on the readings and the forks seemed to decrease performance in the wet with alot of sticktion overall a good fork but needs some slight tweaks

Favorite Trail:   anything fun

Similar Products Used:   monster t , jnr t, phsylos, Z1s , iyncnc, X verts ,shiver

Bike Setup:   DMR trailstar 24" dmr parts halo weels azonic bar/stem usual DJ stuff

Submitted by Patrick Sciaroni a Cross Country Rider from Erie, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
Update to previous review: Just got fork back. Lockout was NOT repaired, but they increased the 2cm of bunk travel to the full buttery 120mm. Credit where credit is due, I suppose. When you roll the dice, sometimes you roll snake eyes. Damn. Crapped out.

Submitted by Patrick Sciaroni a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2005

Strengths:    Light, responsive, tunable, plush, damn pretty. Best fork I have ridden. When it works.

Weaknesses:    reliability. If you ride everyday, consider reliability. If you ride occasionally, then a mechanical wouldn't be too tragic.

Bottom Line:
Great service with Answer. I thought my problem might be isolated, hey-everything-can-break type deal. But I have seen so many problems in these reviews, I thought I should mention my experience. I couldn't tell if other reviews were super over excited angry people, so I thought it would be good to add my two cents.

Was on a ride when suddenly I lost all but 2 cm of my travel and all damping was lost too. No visible oil leaks. Just a lound thunk whenver the front wheen hit anything larger than a marble. That was on August 11, and after getting a RA # on August 15th, and spending 37.70 to two day air it to California, I am still forkless. If you ride everyday, at least have a working fork in your swagpile just in case you get a bunk one.

The fact that a 220lb man can shread Park City's rock gardens for a year without problems is proof that some of these forks are very good (previous review), so I do not claim to speak for every Black Platnum. But I can guarantee you mine sucks.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado trail to Georgia Pass

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Every rock Shox from the first through MAG21 back in the day, went to Marzocchi Bombers, then Manitou Blacks until this one.

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, Gravy built Chris King wheels and headset, XTR kit, Jucy 7's, and a Fizik saddle w/my ass on it.

Submitted by pjm a Cross Country Rider from Park City,UT

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    Plush travel, light, adjustable, simple, maintainable.

Weaknesses:    None YET

Bottom Line:
I have always had good luck with Manitou Forks, and
am suprised at the broken fork reviews below. I bought
this 100 mil air fork w/o lockout to replace my Mars fork, and am very impressed with the performance. I am 210lbs, and trash almost everything I ride. I ran the 2001 Mars 3.2lb air fork for around 4 yrs, 12,000 miles, and 3 bikes, and all I did was replace the oil damper seal once! This is unprecedented longevity under me. I finally took it off my 3rd bike because of the accumulated miles, not because of breakage or seal failure. NOTE: (I always ran lizard skin boots, and cleaned/lubed it once a yr.) Maybe lack of any maintenance kills forks, but I do know that Manitou makes a quality, effective, simple, and in my experience, durable fork product if not abused, and if maintained properly.
Any product that lasts ONE yr under my product-pounding, 210lb-riding-style, gets 5 fat chilis!!!!!

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   RockShox/Manitou/McMahon

Bike Setup:   Kona King Kikapu/fs/xc/25lbs

Submitted by Adam Russell a Weekend Warrior from York, UK

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2004

Strengths:    Very stiff, light and plush. Air spring is very responsive and fluid flow damping is good.

Weaknesses:    None as yet, although i cant seem to get the air pressure right (i'm running 90psi and i weight <10 stone)

Bottom Line:
This fork is amazing for the price. I paid about £210 and the performance is unbelieveable for the price. There's no lockout but thats not a big issue as i mainly do some dual/freeride/street. 120mm of plush, useful travel.

I've always wanted some Manitou's and they didnt dissapoint!

Favorite Trail:   Buttermere

Purchased At:   http://www.wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Mars, Rock Shox Psylo XC

Bike Setup:   "Mercury" Alu HT frame, Deore Disks + drive with LX shifters and FSA Cranks. Grimeca hubs and 185mm hope front disk rotor. Mavic Rims (soon) and Nokian Gazzalodi's

Submitted by Anand Mehta a Cross Country Rider from Lansdale, PA ,USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    Weight.

Weaknesses:    See below.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up on my review below. I should start by saying that I am a dinosaur. That is, I am very brand loyal. I buy stuff and if it works, I keep buying from that same company. Simple. I bought Manitou forks and would like to continue to buy Manitou forks. However, I worry about them. Currently, this company has some major quality control issues. Answer Products, you should know that they only reason I am staying with your products is because of Bobby Accuna. You should give him a raise, as he does more to keep people ridding and buying Manitou forks than anyone. You need to make better products so that his job could be a bit easier.

The fork know works well. It has some issues, the stanchions are not a uniform color, they look like old Manitou 4's that have been worn. I would go back to my LBS but I don't care anymore. I just want to ride. Hopefully, this fork will last a while - but it may be my last Manitou. And I am not happy about that.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou 3,4,FS Ti, X-Vert Super

Bike Setup:   1998 FSR with BETD link, Fox Vanilla R shock (6.75 X 1.75).

Submitted by Chris Bentley a Racer from Fall City

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    Lockout for hill climbing. 5" of travel for all around trail riding. Air pressure control for responsiveness and setup. Rebound control also.

Weaknesses:    None...any longer since Manitou took care of my problem.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my last post also - I was frustrated over the failure of the seal on this fork, but apparently the bad seal was never replaced the second time around. When it failed again, Manitou quickly sent in a full replacement kit to the LBS (local bike shop). It now works great and does everything I expected it to. My Kona Bear is back and working great as a trail basher!

cb

Favorite Trail:   Preston Railroad Trail - for this fork/bike

Bike Setup:   Kona Bear - XC Training Bike. FR wheel set and Coil shock. Bike now weighs 36lbs, but the Manitou Black Super has helped reduce the overall weight and made the bike even funner.

Submitted by Anand a Cross Country Rider from Lansdale, Pa

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, have not had a chance to test anything else.

Weaknesses:    See below.

Bottom Line:
I want to love Manitou. I really do. I have only bought their forks but this is getting hard. This Black Super replaced an X-Vert. The steerer tube started to push through the crown and Manitou offered to upgrade to a 2004 for a price. Received the fork today. The first major problem is that to get the front wheel on, you have to pry the forks apart to allow the wheel to fit between the drop-outs. Not good. Makes me wonder what the heck my local bike shop was doing giving me the fork like this. This makes for a real pain in trying to put the bike on a rack let alone putting on the front wheel. Not to mention what it tells me about the strength of the lowers when I can bend them so easily. Right now, I am bummed. Hopefully Manitou will come through but I fear my Manitou days are over.

Purchased At:   300

Similar Products Used:   Manitou 3,4, Magnum, FS Ti, X-vert Super

Bike Setup:   1998 FSR with BETD kit, fox vanilla R shock, 8 Speed Xt.

Submitted by Chris Bentley a Racer from Fall City

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2004

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Lockout fails (seal design is faulty) - Original design is being replaced by Manitou, but they are currently out of stock of upgrade components.

Bottom Line:
Because of other riders having the same warranty issues as I, the original lockout design is being replaced by Manitou, but they are currently out of stock of the upgrade components. I asked my local shop to investigate if I could just return this fork (that has failed for the 3rd time now in 6 rides) and pay to upgrade to the Minute One fork, but Manitou said NO. I have to wait for their new lockout parts that are not in stock. I Recommend you pay the extra $100 and get the Minute ONE with SPV, or stay away from Manitou XC forks. My bike is out of commission now, during this early prime riding season.

Bike Setup:   Kona Bear - XC Training bike

Submitted by Billy Royal a Weekend Warrior from Athens, Ga.

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    Very plush, Good lockout, Light weight for 100mm

Weaknesses:    None now that I got a good one

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my last post. Now that Manitou replaced the previously broken fork, I am very happy. This is a good riding fork that has taken all of the abuse I can throw it's way and has even saved me a couple of times. Manitou replaced the defective black I previously commented on in 3 days. Pretty good after my complaining about their poor quality control. Like I said, I am happy now and will repost if I have any more problems. This is a good fork for rough XC riding.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain