Manitou Black Super SPV 80 2004 Front Shocks

4.2/5 (10 Reviews)

The premiere fork for ultra-aggressive XC and marathon racers who demand superb stiffness and durability

Submitted by mcseforsale a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2014

Strengths:    Stiff, strong and light. SPV is almost as good as a lockout. Very adjustable.

Weaknesses:    None after 7 years!

Bottom Line:
Arise ZOMBIE review thread. ARISE! Anywho, leave it to me to write a review this long into product usage. I've been riding this fork since I got it as a replacement for a Manitou Six Deluxe that had bad disc mounts. It's been the best fork I've used in my 20 some odd years riding. Very rigid, super adjustable and STIFF. It's also very light for it's designated usage (all mountain). At 80mm it fits the geometry of my trusty old '01 iDrive and never bottoms out in normal usage. Holds air FOREVER and even after sitting for 18 months, it was just down 20psi on both sides. I'm 6'1" @210 and this fork has held up with nary a whimper.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Duration Product Used:   7 years

Purchased At:   FreeFlite Marietta,

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Judy C, Judy XC, Manitou Minute, full rigid.

Bike Setup:   '01 GT iDrive, Fox Vanilla R, Manitou Black SPV Super Air 80mm, King headset, Mavic x317s with WheelSmith DB14s and American Classic disc hubs, Hayes HFX-9 Carbons F&R, IRC Serac XC 2.1s, Easton EC-70 risers on RaceFace Evolve XC stem, LX/XT mix with Firex SL cranks (square taper, baby!), WTB RocketV ProGel, old Bontrager Race post.

Submitted by 24 hour dude a Racer from Gig Harbor WA USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, light, looks good, SPV, 80MM travel

Weaknesses:    only 80M travel

Bottom Line:
This is the best fork I have ever ridden. It's way light, super stiff, plush and does not bob when climbing seated. No levers to forget to unlock at the top of the hill. SPV works as claimed - when seated. Bobs when standing but I'm OK with that. Suppose I could "dial that out" by increasing the SPV platform pressure but I like the fork plush. Makes my sid(s) feel like WET NOODLES. Made a noticable difference in my ability to decend fast. Worth the minor increase in weight. 80mm feels like 100mm compared with the sid. And the fact that it was $150 was a big bonus too. We will see how it holds up but I have had excellent luck with the various Manitous I have owned in the past. Just a touch more travel would be good but I'm 100% satisfied.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Sid sl, Sid team, Skareb Super, Black comp, etc.

Bike Setup:   NRS Pro - all xtr with Avid v brakes, NRS Air w/stock build and the Black Super SPV

Submitted by Maarten Essers a Cross Country Rider from South of the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2005

Strengths:    Just works great, no leackage, loss of pressure or whatsoever. When you look at the (massive) stiffness it astonishes me how light it is.

Weaknesses:    Decals indeed tend to come off easy.

Bottom Line:
At first I was a bit worried that I could not mount my PACE fork on my new bike (it doesn't have discbrake mount), so I looked for an alternative. A friend of mine recommended that I should try a Manitou, so I did. And as far as I'm concerned, it will be Manitou from now on. The two negative reviews over here are just stupid. The first one looks like it's just from a competetive manufacturer who wants to put it down, and the second, DÛH, this fork isn't meant for freeriding and big jumps!!! So don't complain that it brakes when you only do that. So XC riders who want a stiff, light and super performing fork should look no further. I've already done 2.500+ Kms on it without any problems!

Favorite Trail:   Roc d'Azur, Fréjus, France

Similar Products Used:   Pace RC34 Carbon

Bike Setup:   Full 2005 XTR including tubeless XTR wheel set. King headset.

Submitted by Greg a Racer from Germnany

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff. Very stiff.
Can be adjusted easily.
Great damping!

Weaknesses:    Decals come off easily.
No good on very slow (3mph) & steep descends with big chunks of rock. I prefer my rigid fork there.

Bottom Line:
This fork is great for difficult XC races.
It will absorb big bumps like nothing.
A bit rough on the small stuff if set up for racing.
Has to be set up with a lot more pressure than rec. by Answer.
The perfect XC racing fork and with the recommended pressure
great for Marathons, too.

No Probs. with the valves. I use a very good SKS adapter.
No leakages yet, I think.

Similar Products Used:   SID XC
Tange steel fork

Bike Setup:   XC-race hardtail

Submitted by A J a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Strengths:    Very stiff and good looks.

Weaknesses:    Nothing but problems with this fork from day one. SPV chamber was leaking air, still leaking air after new parts were installed. New fork sent to me, SPV valve failed on the new fork after 1 week of riding. Been waiting for 3 weeks now for new parts to arrive.

Bottom Line:
I can't recommend this fork, the only thing worse than a fork that isnt reliable is a company that does not stand behind its product. The first Black SPV that I got was leaking air before I even put it on the bike - Answer refused to replace the fork but instead sent parts to me. After the parts were installed the fork was still leaking air. At this point Answer agreed to send me a new fork which worked for about 1 week before the SPV valve got stuck - been waiting 3 weeks for new parts to arrive. I wrote a letter to answer/manitou explaining the situation and my dissatisfaction; they never replied. I'll never purchase another product from answer/manitou again.

Similar Products Used:   SID Race

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel

Submitted by Junior a Cross Country Rider from SLC, Utah

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, smooth, SPV rocks

Weaknesses:    Only 80mm

Bottom Line:
This fork rules! Very confidence inspiring. Stiff, relatively light, only 80mm travel but won't bottom due to the SPV feature. Very tunable. You can stand up and hammer without having all of your energy sucked out by the fork. The fork is buttery smooth - something I did not expect because I had heard the SPV made it harsh - not true.

Favorite Trail:   Pioson Spider

Similar Products Used:   RS Sid, Marz Marathon

Bike Setup:   Tracer, 5th air

Submitted by Jeff Sams a Weekend Warrior from Acworth, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    Stability through tight switchbacks, ablilty to absorb major and minor obstacles allowing for an incredible smooth ride

Bottom Line:
I previously had problems with the Black Elite 80mm and found out through Answer's service department that the air champer was not holding air due to severe damage to the champer. I indicated to them the age of the shock which was out of the warranty period and Answer, without hestation provided a replacement shock under warranty. Not only did they provide a replacement, they provided me with a new 2004 Super Air SPV 80mm. This shock has greatly improved my riding by allowing me to improve my technical descents. Hats off to Answer Products for coming through. Service is what makes a good company and Answer has it all.

Favorite Trail:   Aska-Stanely Gap Blueridge GA

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black Elite

Bike Setup:   Ventana, EL Fuego, XT cranks, shram drive train and shifters

Submitted by Greg a Racer from Germany

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff! Supple. Light. What more do you want? I have a SID XC on my full suspension bike and with the Black on my new hardtail, I'm waay faster on downhills now!

Weaknesses:    I hate the schrader valves. Too much air escapes every time I try to change the pressure.Could well be my pump, though. The tribals and the name looks pretty cheap and comes off easily.

Bottom Line:
I like this fork very much because it is reasonably light and pretty stiff. The difference in stiffness between the Black and my SID XC is gigantic and you really feel it on the trail. SPV is highly overrated, though, and does nothing but compensate for the much better responsiveness of modern air-sprung forks. SPV is NO intelligent lockout-system!!! My good ol' SID bobs just as little as the Black, but then again, the Black has about twice as much travel.

Unless you're stupid enough to use a 3.4 lbs (updated official weight) fork to do dirt jumps (man!) you will heave great fun with this fork. No need to buy a Skareb at all. I really wonder why they are still building Skarebs with such a light Black on the market. The Black SPV 80 is the best fork for really aggressive XC-racing I know. The F80X might even be better, but it weighs and costs much more.