Manitou Black Elite 100 2004 Front Shocks

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)

This year we offer two Black Elites, both are coil sprung but neither is necessarily any better then the other…they’re just different. The Black Elite 100 has preset travel and our heralded TPC Lockout damping system, while the Rapid Travel Wind Down (RTWD) version has Fluid Flow damping and our new geared travel adjust system for anywhere between 90 and 120mm of travel, on the fly, without a change spring rate. It’s your choice.

Submitted by matt smith a Cross Country Rider from fairfax, virginia, u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    Product hasn't worked at all, so I can't see any strengths.

Weaknesses:    These forks don't work at all. Neither did the brand new replacements. Both blew up inside 10 days of regular road riding. GARBAGE FORKS.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these forks because they don't work. I bought my gary fisher new 5 weeks ago and have already gone through 2 brand new Manitou Axel Elite 100 forks. both blew from riding off a 4-5 inch curb. I weigh 170 lbs. Dude, I wasn't Even Riding on a trail ...WTF!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   wakefield park single track

Purchased At:   Hudson Trail Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shocks

Bike Setup:   07 Gary Fisher Marklin

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Strengths:    very plush and responsive

Weaknesses:    Maintenance and quality

Bottom Line:
I got a good deal on this fork so it was worth it. If you have the money buy a FOX!

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla

Bike Setup:   CC

Submitted by Eddie a Weekend Warrior from Montecito,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2005

Strengths:    Good plusness, Lockout worked for the first 5 months. A fair cost for such a good fork.

Weaknesses:    Lock-out stayed locked out, but got it fixed the next month.

Bottom Line:
A great fork for such a great price. I wonder what the newer year models will be like... This fork started off my career for racing, meaning it is one of those forks that you cant get rid of.

Favorite Trail:   Elwood!

Purchased At:   Hazards bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Drop off

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000, Xt frt derauiller, LX rear, xt shifter pods, xt rhynolite wheelsets, easton handle bars.

Submitted by Zachary a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    Plush ride and the lockout is a beatiful thing when climbing!

Weaknesses:    Operator error; forgetting to unlock the fork=ouch!

Bottom Line:
This is an absolutely wonderful fork. I hope it lasts me many many more years!

Purchased At:   internet dealer

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy, Fox Vanilla

Bike Setup:   Gunnar, Custom, Avid, Sram, XT, Thomson, Easton

Submitted by Louis from guelph, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    This fork is great, the fluid flow damping works quite well. the spring set is perfect for my weight(175ish) not to stiff or plush. i dont notice any flex at all. it soaks up everything bigger then a small stick, feels like your riding a rigid down a sidewalk or road.

Weaknesses:    i havnt noticed any weaknesses yet

Bottom Line:
this fork is great for all around riding. it islight for xc and is stiff enough for light freeride. i havnt had much time to use it but so far i am very pleased.

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   manitou axel super

Bike Setup:   upgraded, 03 giant iguana disk

Submitted by bil fil a Downhiller from calgary

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2005

Strengths:    STRONG, light, rebound adjustment and lockout actually work unlike marzzocchi crap, awesome.

Weaknesses:    none its beyound perfect

Bottom Line:
i do 10 ft to flats on this fork, I gap 15 sets, and do freeriding on this fork. I totally misue it and its holding up perfectly well. I would reccommend that u use it for what the fork is intended for but heres a note to all you cross country riders, if you get this you will never need to service it. (provided you don't do 20 ft hucks). AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

Favorite Trail:   milenium

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   marzzochi z2, rockshox judy xc

Bike Setup:   harcore trials bike jackflash

Submitted by Big Daddy a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, light, simple.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 120mm Black Elite.

Great fork. I didn't expect much of it for the price, but I've been really impressed. Very supple over the small bumps and takes the big hits without a problem.

Also, the 120mm model I have came with a heavy spring in it which was nice given that I'm over 200lbs.

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Bike Setup:   Heckler set up for long rides in the back country.

Submitted by Pawel a Cross Country Rider from Onatrio, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2004

Strengths:    Great fork. Very stiff. Absorbs just about anything you can throw at it.

Weaknesses:    After the the second month of owning the fork, TPC lockout stopped working. Don't really use it that often, but still worried it might lead to other things. Told my LBS about the problem, said it should not be anything difficult to fix, most likely a broken seal somewhere. No oil leaking, so i'm not worried. Planning on taking it in shortly.

Bottom Line:
Great fork for cross country and light downhill. Even with the TPC lockout failing, think it is a quality product. This problem is rare, do don't get discouraged. Springs are a bit too soft for my weight (205 lbs), thinking of a spring kit. Fork takes a beating, do alot of free riding, drops, stairs, walls, tables, etc., and fork keeps on going.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Rudy T2

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant NRS 1 frame, fox racing tuned rear suspension, Avid Mechanicals, Titec Wheels, Manitou Black Elite 100 front fork, Race Face cranks, Easton post and bars, Deore drivetrain.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, UK

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff steering and plush in operation with the ability to soak up rough trails

Weaknesses:    Massively over sprung unless you weight 200+ lbs. Manitou take note!

Bottom Line:
As an aggressive XC rider and these forks are well suited to my riding style. I also commute 60+ miles a week to work some road some rough track. In comparison to the Manitou Six’s fitted to my bike from new these forks are a big step forward. In comparison with my original forks there is minimal flex and the Semi-Bath with Evil Genius Seals is a fantastic upgrade over the old grease ports.

I am not sure the lock-out is really that effective out on the trails but then I have not used it that much, as my ring style when climbing doesn’t result in the forks bobbing. On the road, again the lock-out makes little difference. However, the damping system works fine with a half a turn adjustment easy to use and effective.

However, for someone who weigh 140 lbs I believe these forks are massively over sprung, especially as they are also an air fork. Now that I have installed a lighter spring, these forks have bedded in fine.

If I could have bought the forks with a suitable weight spring from new they would have got an overall rating of 4 chilli’s but as I couldn’t it’s a 3. Overall, these are a great dependable XC fork, well worth a look, but get the shop to fit the right weight spring before you part with the cash.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Six's

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 6500, only the SLR frame remains as original.

Submitted by Mr Ryder a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Strengths:    Very stiff and no noticable flexing.Easy adjustments and great dampening on big hits,medium jumps.

Weaknesses:    None at this stage and " I "" don't give a hoot about the stickers peeling.

Bottom Line:
These forks are great for my riding style(cross country, downhill)and I've got no complaints. They're smooth, no nonsense forks that I would recommend to anyone who does similar riding to myself.

Similar Products Used:   old Manitou magnum

Bike Setup:   Big black round tires(2),a seat, handlebars, and meaty cranks.

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Strengths:    Lotsa adjustments. I have the Elite with TPC lockout, rebound, and preload. It really helps to dial in the best ride for you. It's a lot stiffer than my previous fork, the Axel Super.

Weaknesses:    If it matters to you, this model has 100mm of travel, preset and non-adjustable. If you want the RTWD feature, I would reccommend going with the Platinum, as it also keeps all of the adjustments of the Elite.

Bottom Line:
The OEM Axel Super started flexing so much my tire would rub when cornering. Let me tell you, that does NOT inspire confidence! Anyway, Answer Products allowed me to cover the Axel under warranty and upgrade to the Elite a a good price. So far, it's a lot better - stiffer, smoother, more bells and whistles.

Gotta give it 5 chiles for value (warranty credits rule!) and 4 for overall. Yes, it's the best fork I've ever owned, but it's still not high-end.