Manitou Axel Super 2004 Front Shocks

2.56/5 (9 Reviews)

All new for 2004, the Axel family is designed to provide new levels of high performance and high value. Features include 28.6 mm stanchions, convertible travel, hydraulic damping and a Manitou RA casting for ultimate stiffness without extra weight.

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Edinburgh

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    Came as stock on Jekyll 400 (2004)

Weaknesses:    Where do I start....Flexy, leaky, leaky, leaky, did I say leaky, stuplidly soft, poor quality adjusters....feels cheap (they are. Threw them in bin after 2 rides and bought a NEW Lefty DLR off ebay at a FANTASTIC price from USA

Bottom Line:
Chuck em away and pay for a Lefty.....you won't be disappointed with the Lefty

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox, Pace, Lefty DLR

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 400 (RAW), Lefty DLR, Hayes HFX9 Carbon discs, WTB saddle, DMR V12's, Fox remote locklout,

Submitted by Peter Farrell a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2005

Strengths:    Range of adjustments and features for price

Weaknesses:    Heavy, flexy chrome moly staunchions, standard spring to soft for my weight (90 kg), poor warranty.

Bottom Line:
On these original equipment forks the hard chrome on one staunchion has been partially removed by grinding during manufacture, exposing the bare steel beneath which started rusting soon after I started riding the bike. The lockout and compression damping adjustment ceased working shortly after.The best Manitou could offer was a small discount on the current model of the same fork. I told them i would rather put the money towards a better fork, one without the Manitou brand name on it. the performance of these entry level forks is quite satisfactory once a spring suitable for the riders weight is fitted is fitted. As it is an OE fork I would recommend upgrading it as soon as possible.

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill

Purchased At:   NRG Ipswich

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox judy,Manitou Mars,Manitou axel elite,Maveric.

Bike Setup:   2004, Specialized FSR XC, Fox Float RL shock, Dice hydro discs, Velocity VXC disk specific wheels, Truvative Hussafelt cranks, Zoom carbon fibre bars.

Submitted by evilwoodman a Cross Country Rider from bath united kingdom

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Looks alright and hasn't bottomed out despite riding a 20foot double

Weaknesses:    acts like a rigid fork so doesn't move up or down on uphills or downhills. leaks grease llke there is no tomorrow and is only plush when doused in loads of prep m greaes

Bottom Line:
only buy one if very cheap or you like the ride of a rigid fork but want to have a little extra insurance. Take the oil level down to inprove the performance or just get a better fork

Favorite Trail:   evrything singletrack

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi drop off

Bike Setup:   customised rockhopper with freeride components

Submitted by wayne sherman a Cross Country Rider from all overthe world

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Strengths:    Has a lot of adjustable features. V and disc brake compatible.

Weaknesses:    Bottoms easily, not stiff at all (for 185 lb rider), need special grease gun to lubricate properly. Not built for jumping.

Bottom Line:
This fork has a sticker on the leg that says NOT INTENDED FOR JUMPING. I have, however taken it over small jumps and drops without serious issues. Bottom line is that it is a decent fork for LIGHT xc or commuting use. Anything other than that you should get an upgraded fork. This fork is not very stable under heavy pedaling or cornering. It seems to "tweak" a lot.

Favorite Trail:   anything pisgah

Purchased At:   came stock on c-dale jekyll from LBS

Similar Products Used:   80mm Headshok, 2005 Sherman flick, various rockshox forks

Bike Setup:   Loaded DS XC/FR

Submitted by Jekyll Rider a Cross Country Rider from Loudwater, England

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2005

Strengths:    It's so flexy that if you bent it your mum could probably straighten it with her bare hands!!

Weaknesses:    Horribly flexy from the first ride, lasted less than 3 months before bottoming out (whilst I was sitting stationary on the bike!!!) & feeling like riding on a slinky thereafter!!

Bottom Line:
I weigh 215 lbs and this fork was so bad that it was dangerous. Only buy this fork if either you:

a. Weigh less than the bike you ride.

b. Won't drop off anything taller than the kerb/sidewalk

c. Have lost the will to live

Think I'm being harsh??........they won't sort the fork under warranty!!!

Honestlty.....if this fork is on your bike.....change it!!

Purchased At:   Cycle Care

Similar Products Used:   Axel Elite 80 mm (just as awful, made from paper mache!!)

Bike Setup:   Jekyll, Fox Float RL, Pace RC40

Submitted by Noxx a Downhiller from Broomfield, Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    easy lockout, nice rebound adjustment, great shock for the money

Weaknesses:    It sure could use 20mm to 30mm more tavel. Switching between 80mm to 100mm of travel is a pain in the a#%.

Bottom Line:
I have not had any big problems with this shock but I recommend anyone wanting to get into any kind of dirt jumping or drops to consider getting a Black or a Sherman. I have been doing a lot of downhill and dirt jumping and have been consistently been bottoming out and I only weigh 150 pounds. All and all it is a great shock for the price.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 400 frame with a bunch of upgrades

Submitted by Geoffrey Seaborn a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2004

Strengths:    Adjustable travel and easy lockout. Great value, has everything you could realistically want. Definetly a good buy. Mechanically sound, needs little maintenance and looking after. Came stock on my bike - I am considering a black.

Weaknesses:    I would personally like another 20-30mm of travel. For this level of fork, it doesn't really make sense to have it go as low as 70mm especially since it's not fixed.

Bottom Line:
A solid buy. Does everything you could want, and works flawlessly.

Favorite Trail:   Gatineau Loop

Purchased At:   Pecco's

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Bombers

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper pro, EC70, Chris King, EA70, Race Face, Avid Ti's, Semi-Slicks etc.

Submitted by bill a Weekend Warrior from arkansa

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Strengths:    great fork if you arnet to serious a rider

Weaknesses:    while riding to school broke and woke up in the er on a backboard for 8 hours luckily manitou replaced fork with black

Bottom Line:
crappy fork if you are serious i brke the reverse arch and they replaced the lowers wich also fixed the oil leak that i had since i bought if your are just a coummuter it will be great for you

Favorite Trail:   every trail you can go fast on

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   mantiou six and rst crap

Bike Setup:   giant xtc

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from Wynnewood

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Strengths:    This is an awsome looking fork, and has already preformed really well even though i havn't had it for too long. I do only weigh 125 lbs, but this has still been pretty stiff. I do fairly aggressive xc riding, and this has worked great.

Weaknesses:    i have heard that these forks bottom out easily, but i have not had this happen to me yet. I do only weigh 125 lbs, but this has still been pretty stiff. I do fairly aggressive xc riding, and this has worked great.

Bottom Line:
If you like a hot looking fork and at the same time a great preformer, this is great for you. I personally did not pay too much for this, so I am even happier. If you can get a great deal like I did, go for it right away.

Favorite Trail:   Wyssihikon