Fox Shox Vanilla 125 RLC 2004 Front Shocks

4.75/5 (24 Reviews)
Weight : 4.24 lbs.

• 125mm Travel (can be set at 80 or 100)
  • FOX exclusive PSC chassis provides unparalleled steering precision and industry leading torsional rigidity.
  • Patented, High-flow, open-bath damper with SDC (Shimmed Damping Control) and exclusive 3-Way top-cap adjusters for on-the-fly convenience.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Adam Pask from Ajax Ont Canada

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2007

Strengths:    Everthing ...minus the rebound knob hitting me in the chest ...lol lil dig there ...

Weaknesses:    Not a one !!!

Bottom Line:
    Just wanted to say thanks to Dustin Spencer , Fox rep ...he actually reads these things !!! He is the dude !!!!!!!!! Ride on brother !!! Never got the sweat but I got the jersey ...thanks for your amazing atention to detail my friend !!!

Adam ...Cheers .. look me up if your up here and we'll shred some sweet single track !

Favorite Trail:   Comfortably Numb ..Whistler..nearly killed me ..he he

Similar Products Used:   Name it ... Rock Shox ...old and new ... Marzocchi old and new...Manitu...Stratos ..nice seals ..butt holes

Bike Setup:   Which one ?

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Ajax , Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Strengths:    Amazingly plush ... seems endless . When used with the lockout enguaged as per MBA this fork is near flawless ..I have never bottomed it and I ride loaded at 215lbs ,plus I haven't changed the spring to a heavy one so this says something about the compression and rebound dampening in these baby's !!! So far the best 5" travel fork I've had

Weaknesses:    After a season and a half (I have several bikes so I don't do alot of miles on any one bike)the compression rod blew out of the shock while I was going through a fast choopy section ...hit me in the chest so hard I though I was hit by a paint ball !! Then it continued to spit up oil all over me untill I stopped and let it sit upside down until nothing was running out .It ruined my Race Face jacket and cost me almost half as much as I paid for the fork to get it fixed !!!

Bottom Line:
    Killer fork !!!! Keep an eye on your rebound adjuster rod ... it may bite !!!

Favorite Trail:   Seaton Hiking Trail -- Durham Forest

Purchased At:   E Bay

Similar Products Used:   Psylo , Bomber the original orange one's , 2000 Bomber CR1 , GOING WAY BACK ...MAG 21's , MAG 20's ...rigid ..haha

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade Vanilla 125RLC ,XTR/Race Face .. American Classic's with Velocity rims , Juciy Sevens ..ONE SWEET TRAILBIKE at just about 28lbs

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Frederick, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Strengths:    I'v only ridden the shock for 4 months (about 500 miles)and have only had 1 problem. Overall it is exactly what I expected, a durable spring fork able to handle rocky terrain.

Weaknesses:    Warranty. The problem I did have, (after about 50 hours of use)was the bolt on the bottom of the fork for the plunger fell off during a 24 hour endurance race. The factory said that it was my fault since I didn't retorque the bolt to factor specs often enough. So I paid the $9 for the bolt and washer. I was just glad I didn't have a real problem.
    The fork is noisy and bangs when it recoils fast. They may want to put some type of rubber bumper at the top of the shock on future models to prevent this.

Bottom Line:
    The forks works well, but don't rely on the warranty. Most riders who get this shock with a bike will have to order a stiffer spring. The one that comes with the OEM is way to soft. I go 165 lbs and the 5" travel of the fork would bottom out doing 6" high bunney hops standing still (boo!!). I purchased the stiffest spring available and have only bottomed out twice on about a 2' drop. I would not reccomend this shock to anyone over 185 LBS.

I'm hoping it doesnt break again, if it does I will just take it to a local bike shop if it is something serious, because I'm sure it will be my fault if I call the factory.
    (p.s. remember 3 Chili's is "good")

Favorite Trail:   Watershed

Purchased At:   Came with bike.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox sid (air) - No problems with 4 years of use. Still holds air with no rebuilds.

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive Ruckus 2.0 - Fox Vanilla rear shock, Avid Juicy 7 disk brakes.

Submitted by jay li a Weekend Warrior from san jose, ca usa

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2005

Strengths:    Very smooth dampening. Rigid design with 32 mm sanchions. A lot of adjustments. Oil dampening.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
    A great fork that give performs very well and gives a rider confidence on the rough trails.

Favorite Trail:   fremont older

Purchased At:   i forgot

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Comp Air ETA and Judy TT.

Bike Setup:   2001 GT Aggressor 1. Custom built with Shimano, SRAM, Cane Creek, Truvativ...

Submitted by ronen bahir a Weekend Warrior from israel

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    light,plush,stiff

Weaknesses:    underbuilt,mag lowers

Bottom Line:
    I bought it second hand and I rode it for almost a year and it was superb. I'm about 200 lbs .I did everything with it from urban to agressive trails.It handled it all well,until today.I went to a little ride ,on the second road climb on the way to the trail my chain broke and i crashed ,when i got i noticed that the fork's left dropout broke ,i was lucky because in the end of the climb there is a very fast with a lot of turns road downhill section if i crashed there i wouldve been dead or very badly injured. in 2005 fox thickend the dropouts.

Bike Setup:   gt avalanche 1.0

Submitted by David Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Richwood, WV

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2004

Strengths:    Very Plush, Lots of travel, very adjustable, strong and stiff

Weaknesses:    sometimes makes clicking noise when climbing. After researching the problem found out it's the spring. Doesn't affect performance and won't harm the fork.

Bottom Line:
    Great fork. It works great on the trails around here. I can just set this fork to my liking and forget about it. I really like the lock-out for long climbs and the rebound adjust really works. I really can't tell too much a difference when adjusting the small bump sensitivity,but it doesn't bother me at all. This for give you allot of adjustability for the money and can really take a beating.
    I would highly recommend this fork to riders who worry more about performace than weight.

Favorite Trail:   South Mtn. Trail

Purchased At:   Mountaineer Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Indy XC, Rockshox Duke XC

Bike Setup:   2004 Santa Cruz Heckler, 5th Element Coil, Fox V125RLC, Hayes HFX-9XC

Submitted by Stu a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2004

Strengths:    Very plush, open bath works great in all weather!

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but I knew that when I bought it. Compression damping is weak. Paint.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great fork in my opinion. My FSR came with a Mars Elite which was ok on this bike, but performance suffered in wet conditions. The Vanilla is plusher and stays plush due to the open bath lubrication and quality seals. After riding it for a few weeks I realized that I forgotten completely about the fork; it was so smooth I never gave it a second thought.

If there is a weekness it's the compression damping; it doesn't do much. On the other hand, it handles so well for me this isn't too big a deal. Also the paint chips easily around the dropouts and brake mounts.

I bought mine on a business trip to the states online for around 275 pounds which is way cheaper than the UK. It came with three springs and all the after market packaging and extras. It's a great trail fork and it, along with the BETD link have made an alread solid bike into a great trail machine!

I would recommend this fork to anyone who is looking for all around trail fork with that little extra comfort and reliability factor.

Favorite Trail:   Karimor

Purchased At:   Bikesmart

Similar Products Used:   Mars Elite, MX Com, Various RS

Bike Setup:   Spec FSR XC with BETC Link and Vanilla RLC @ 100mm. Hope Mini, XT/XTR, Mavic 717 Disc, Thompson stem & Post

Submitted by Marcus a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent weight for a 5" coil sprung fork. Well made and easy to set up. Lockout easy to use and works well.

Weaknesses:    Very pricey in Australia

Bottom Line:
    Great Fork, it has definitely saved me a few times. Mid judged a few drops along a single track and instead of throwing me the fork handled it very well. Has taken quite a beating and still working well. I would definitely recommend this fork to someone who is after a no mess about strong fork. Weighing about 200 pounds i find alot of air shocks a little dicey so i really liked the vanilla's RL's

Favorite Trail:   Red Hill

Purchased At:   Airbomb

Similar Products Used:   Pilot C forks, Black Elite RWTD

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Cake 3.5 with Bontrager Race Lite Disc wheels, complete xt drive train, race lite OS bars and stem and gobi saddle, fox vanilla RL

Submitted by Stuart a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2004

Strengths:    stiffness, smooth action, simple controls, ease of spring swapping

Weaknesses:    somewhat heavier than an air fork, but the difference is negligable

Bottom Line:
    I can ride the same trails faster and with more confidence on this fork. I love the action and feel of coil versus air. One note of caution: use the recommended spring for your weight/riding style. I got mine with the standard blue spring and couldn't wait for the new spring to arrive (a yellow spring - I'm 225 lbs). I almost killed myself coming down a rocky stair-step section of National trail here in Phoenix.

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   OEM resell from ebayer

Submitted by Rick Hutchison a Weekend Warrior from North Van

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Strengths:    Adjustability, stiffness, overall plushness

Weaknesses:    No thruaxle therefore can't use 8" disks

Bottom Line:
    Great fork for the application I use it for. Not a real freeride fork like my Manitou Sherman Firefly plus, more heavy duty cross country or enduro suited. Still a great fork and well made.

Similar Products Used:   Plethora of Marzocchi most of which were crap.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tazmon with Raceface, XT/XTR, Shimano disk brakes etc.

Submitted by Simon a Cross Country Rider from Seoul, Korea

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2004

Strengths:    Super smooth and looks good

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    This review is for FOX Vanilla R. The fork is really nice fork. I've used it for three weeks but I've put this fork through some rigorous test from extreme climbing through downhilling through soft dirt and some rockgarden. It handled all of them with ease. Little chattery on small pebbles but it absolutely rules on larger stuff. Way to go Fox!

Favorite Trail:   All over

Purchased At:   Han's MTB

Similar Products Used:   Marz and Manitou black(oil leaked from day one)

Bike Setup:   Giant VT1

Submitted by J. Brouwers a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA, US

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    - adjustments
    - looks
    - stiff
    - spring choice
    - damping

Weaknesses:    - not suitable for 8" rotor (a black and a psylo can take it)

Bottom Line:
    It's neither heavy or light. It's the perfect trail fork

IF YOU WANT TO BUY A VANILLA ONLINE, ASK FOR SERIAL NUMBERS!!! I DIDN'T AND I GOT A OEM VANILLA THAT DIDN'T COME WITH WARANTY OR EXTRA SPRINGS!!!

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MX, Z5

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro 2004

Submitted by Bobby Reaves a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, England

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Amazing steering response, Ive thrown this off numerous "hills" and its never bottomed out.

Weaknesses:    Only the price in Sterling, I paid £439 which at the current exchange rate is $815.53 US.

Bottom Line:
    Brilliant, its perfect for UK XC, not too heavy to compromise uphill endurance and strong enough to take the best that UK XC can throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere with Dirt

Bike Setup:   Norco Team XC frame with fox float ava rc propedal, 04 XTR, This fork.

Submitted by Marut Ketudat a Weekend Warrior from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    Great rebound when comes to those rough stuff, totally unique and functional. Unbelievable for both dual, freeride and cross country. It's like back to basic, oil&spring.

Weaknesses:    Not superlight....though I don't really give a sh#@ 'bout its weight.

Bottom Line:
    It's not like forcing you to buy an Anti-Aircraft weapon, It might not taking you to the other-side of the world, and definately, it will not get you a cute girlfriend, but it's sure fun riding this Fox Fork.

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   Nakornthai, Ladpraow, Bangkok

Similar Products Used:   Psyro Race....2004 Maybe.

Bike Setup:   Rotwild rcc08, Xtr 2002, crossmax xl, Magura Louis, and Absolute Vodka.

Submitted by skeet wyman from apple valley

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    vanilla 125R Super stiff steering, great on narly hits and big woops, sets up easily can adjust while riding

Weaknesses:    With lightest copression setting still lacks (slightly) on small chatter bumbs. I am going to try a lighter spring with more compression dampning. I weigh 170lb (disc only would be nice)

Bottom Line:
    Its a quaility componant. I dont want lock out so it was very affordable. I am possitive I will have the right fork after I play with it awhile.

Favorite Trail:   dry desert dirt and sand