Fox Shox TALAS RLC 2004 Front Shocks

4.57/5 (30 Reviews)
Weight : 3.93 lbs.

• Proprietary travel adjustment between 85mm and 125mm is top-cap accessable for on-the-fly travel changes or set-and-forget optimization of steering geometry and handling.
  • FOX exclusive PSC chassis provides unparalleled steering precision and industry leading torsional rigidity.
  • Proprietary Linear Air-Spring system works integrally with the TALAS travel adjustment to insure optimal air-spring characteristics for each travel increment and utilizes a second, floating-piston seperated air-chamber, to provide air-spring weight with coil-spring feel.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Washington

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2010

Strengths:    It flat works. Very adjustable, smooth, the knobs actually do something, stiff

Weaknesses:    Don't know any. Price new was steep I guess.

Bottom Line:
    I have had lots of forks over the years and this one is the best I have used by far. The adjustments actually do something and the fork can be tuned to act about however you want it to. I wish my old motorcross forks were this tunable. I love this fork.

Favorite Trail:   Banner

Purchased At:   Came on used bike

Similar Products Used:   Many different xc forks over the years.

Bike Setup:   06 s-works stumpjumper

Submitted by achawalla from Dali, Yunnan, China

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    Torsionally stiff, plush, adjustments work. It's nice.

Weaknesses:    Er, the color?

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line: I had my Dekerf built up in Oct 04 in Calgary and had it shipped to Japan to ride some rough s--t over there. It took a while to dial it in, but they work flawlessly after that. Then I started to ride here in Dali, China. Big mountains here. Rocks, roots, offcamberhorserutted chaos. Almost 2 years of some pretty hard riding. Never leaked air and never had an oil change. As I said before, they're some seriously good shocks. I'll highly recommend them to anybody and I'll get a new set of TALAS when it comes time to replace them, whenever that'll be, but the way how smooth they're runnng after 2 years of unforgiving abuse, need I say more.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Really? Are there anything out there 'similar'?

Bike Setup:   Dekerf Implant, singlespeed. Parts found on every other bike. Too common and tedious to list.

Submitted by Chris McBath a Downhiller from Woodinvile, Washington USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    So far everything, this seems like a very solid fork. One of the best I'd have to say

Weaknesses:    So far none

Bottom Line:
    Good fork
    A little expensive, still not sure if it was worth the money though
    I wish it was about 600 retail
    Its pretty much a good fork for anything, very adjustable and tough.

Favorite Trail:   Wherever I get air

Purchased At:   Woodinville Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Mz Comp, but thats a piece of crap

Bike Setup:   Other then new tires, the shock, pedals, and new brakes. Its stock

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, adjustable, supple, travel and rebound/compression adjustments truly are independent (unlike Manitou).
    The perfect fork for this application (from xc racing to all mountain)

Weaknesses:    None (maybe getting a little less travel than 80-125)

Bottom Line:
    There's a reason why since fox forks have hit the market just about everyone who seriously rides has one (just about everywhere I visit where there's a serious non-dh/freeride trail- most guys are riding this fork).
    Having this fork for an epic ride feels like cheating. (short travel on the way up- long and slack on the way down-lockout and short on the road).
    It's not a cheap fork- but it is a value since you won't need to get another fork in 2-3 years.
    Have never had any minatenance probs- in 3 hard years of riding.
    Probably didn't need to get the RLC- the RL would've been fine (I have adjusted the Compression once or twice- not a lot).
    Get this fork and never shop for a 130mm or less travel fork again.

Favorite Trail:   Area 51, Ithaca NY

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Manitou (old SX-ti, SX-R)(Sherman breakout plus on other bike)
    Marzocchi Marathon SL (80mm)

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth, Romic in back, Raceface&SRAM drive, Hayes, Maxxis.

Submitted by Howard a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Strengths:    I love this fork! It is so plush and takes so much punishment and has caused me not one minute of grief!
    It holds air! It has enough adjustments to make your head spin! It handles small stuff with cush. It handles the big stuff with cush! I love it!

Weaknesses:    Nothing! Nope! Nada!

Bottom Line:
    This sucker rocks! I have ridden this shock almost every day for almost 1-1/2 years...probably close to 3000 miles of rough arizona mountain trails. I have never had to add air. It holds air! I have never had to add oil. It holds oil! I have never had it lock up or lock down. I can set it on the fly for just about any trail condition (I've since found the sweet spot and I don't fiddle with it much anymore.)
    This is an expensive shock. If it had not come with the bike, I'm not sure that I would ever have discovered it. But I'm glad it did. It's worth it if you can get over the sticker shock.

Favorite Trail:   Any tough singletrack

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute 2 (pretty good), Fox F100X (really nice!) Manitou Axel (crap)

Bike Setup:   Came stock on my 03 Hollowpoint Expert. I've never wanted another fork! Never even thought about it!

Submitted by Cactuscorn a Cross Country Rider from Sioux City, Iowa

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2005

Strengths:    Super Ultra Mega Plush! Way torsionally stiff. Incredibly tunable

Weaknesses:    A bad reputation for leaks and customer service. takes time to achieve full travel or close enough to it to pass as advertised

Bottom Line:
    now that ive spent some time on this fork i thought it time to share my thoughts. the first thought is, "DAMN! What a fork!" my introduction to this beauty was early in its first year of production at a demo on a really lame piece of ground but i did find a staircase or 2 to play on. i was instantly intrigued and knew i needed one. my days of bob-o-rama style forks ended when i found this one on a vendor closeout list for $..... never mind. lets just say i should be arrested for theft cuz it was so freakin cheap.

at first i as many others could not seem to find that last 15mm of travel. its also taking time to really dial in but im close. the near excess of external tuneability is very cool and makes the task easy. mood changes and terrain differences are no longer of any concern to me.

mostly i ride the tight but non technical wooded trails with tons of steep and short climbs at 90mm. i set the threshold just shy of firm with reasonable compression and a somewhat quick rebound to deal with the fast twistys, lung bustin climbs and rooty descents. just last week i set up for some downhilling with a few small parts mods including my prized John Marking hand built Vanilla R and a huge twist of the TALAS knob on the fork and started my runs. Holy crap this thing is stiff, solid, inspiring and sooooo plush. this CANT be a air fork! at one point on this short yet fun run theres a huge 8 foot hillside offshoot where ya blast up out of the bottom of a glen, around a tree, crest the top as you simultaneously need to fight the bikes desire to unweight itself and keep rising, deal with a substantial off camber bit, find the right line over a set of tall roots from a uphill tree as you turn back down into the glen and drop the very steep 8' into a high speed g out and then ya need to point it back down the trail again or you meet mr big a$$ bolder. pretty hairy stuff for a old guy with limited talent on a 3" air fork but not on this fox. i found myself attacking instead of just riding this section and even though the fork bottoms i never felt it disturb my line or confidence. it seems to just progressively ramp up to that point without the usual "bang" and loss of control i associate with reaching the end of ones travel. too cool! furthermore ive discovered i now get 119mm of the 125mm of advertised travel. ive learned thats close enough and ill just concede to calling it good.

all the knobs work well enough yet i agree with the complaints of such a huge turn needed to mess with the TALAS and lock out features. i take it in stride cuz lets face it, how often are we gonna reach for anything but brakes and shifters on anything but smooth trail? the lock out works great but isnt used much nor is the TALAS.

so far no weeping, leaks, and blown seals and i love the meaty industrial look. the stickers are a tad gawdy but they do match the blue on my king headset and frame graphics and anythings better than raised letters that either fall off in a stiff breeze or seem to say "DORK", or something close to it but i hear the Reba may actually work. i regress....

despite the enormous retail cost, of all the forks ive owned, ridded or worked on, this is by far the pinnacle of user friendly, performance envelope expanding, confidence inspiring, pure joy. pony up kids! if youre tired of a buying a new fork for every new travel geometry or type of trail and dont mind a extra 1/2 lb for all the benefits, then beg borrow or steal, you need this fork! and it sure helps if ya only had to pay.... a cold beer honey? yes id love one. thanx!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Judy SL
    SX 5
    Manitou 4
    Manitou 3

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner, Float RL, XTR drivetrain (mostly), Sram chain and cassette, Avid BB7's, Woodman hubs and tons of Bontrager bits.

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Redondo Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Strengths:    Lightish for travel. This is absolutely the most adjustable fork on the market.

Weaknesses:    Travel: there is no way that this fork can achieve the claimed 125 mm of travel. Servicability.

Bottom Line:
    There is absolutely no way that you can get the 125 mm of travel out of this fork. The most travel I've got out of this fork is 108 mm, and I only achieved this by running the air pressure ridiculously low. The travel on this fork is measured with no air in the fork, and the last 5 mm of travel is in the bottom-out bumper. Basically it is impossible to get the 125 mm out of this shock. Why do manufacturers do this? Why not make the shock capable of getting 135 mm so it actually gets the 125 mm they claim? And, my last complaint is servicability. I have nearly 15 years of shop experience. I can work on this shock but it's a pain in the butt. Manitou uses the most straight-forward design. It is very easy to work on a Manitou, and I was able to hotrod my Manitou to get more travel out of it. I got about 105 mm out of an 80 mm the X-Vert on my wife's bike, and about 125mm of travel out of the 115 mm X-Vert on my bike. They are also super easy to service. Oh well, I guess I should have got the Minute 2 after all.

Favorite Trail:   suicide

Purchased At:   www.beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   White Bros. DC110, Manitou X-Vert, Rock Shox Psylo, Manitou Black

Bike Setup:   This fork is on a mostly XT Ellsworth Id.

Submitted by ATBScott a Cross Country Rider from Castro Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    Plush Travel, reasonable weight, no-deflection or chattering, low-maintenance, good tire clearance for a wide range of rubber.

Weaknesses:    Fork is not designed for self-servicing of internals,
    Pricey

Bottom Line:
    This fork is the best all-round fork that I have ridden. It is reasonably plush while still allowing enough degrees of adjustment to tune it to not be a mush-master. I rarely feel the need to lock out the fork, except for the occassional steep, smooth or paved climb. (By the way - locking out the fork, and then turning the blow-off release valve to it's lowest setting gives an almost stable-platform fork feel!) I run the fork a few psi higher than the recommended setting for my 185 lbs, and it feels good to me. Most of the time I ride it at a 100mm setting, but for longer rides with rougher descents, a few clicks and I get an extra inch of absorbtion for a bigger hit or just to gice my old bones some extra cushion when getting tired after 3 or 4 hours of riding. Once in a while I like to bomb down a bit and the extra travel is appreciated. I rarely ride this at the low-travel setting. It works so well that you forget about it. The best kudos I can give to any product. Fork came on the bike, and it was one of the selling points of the bike, as far as I was concerned. I wish that Fox would have made the fork to be able to be serviced by a competent mechanic without sending it in to the factory, yet 18 months of riding (lube the felt bushings under the seals every couple/three months) and the fork is still feeling like it did new. Maybe better. An expensive product, but very good quality. For those who do not need the extra travel, the Fox Float 100 RLC is as good and a little less $$ - and easy to service as well.

Keep the rubber side down!

Favorite Trail:   Can you only have one?

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Hayward

Similar Products Used:   Rigid, Original Rock Shox, Girvin, Specialized, Manitous, Rock Shox Duke, etc...

Bike Setup:   '03 Specialized Enduro Pro

Submitted by G Mckshred a Cross Country Rider from scottsdale

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    bulletproof. Works in all conditions. No deflection. Can handle any XC situation. Doesn't leak at all. No problems with any of the adjustment knobs or the fork at all.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Too many adjustments available. Anodizing wears off easily, due to zip ties and trail debris.

Bottom Line:
    Fork is awesome. Not one problem. Works right every time.
    Can't beat it. Worked in all kinds of terrain and weather conditions.
    way better than my old Duke SL !!!!

Favorite Trail:   mazerak

Purchased At:   LBS - Rage

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox, Duke SL and Judy SL.
    Cannondale Headshock.

Bike Setup:   INTENSE TRACER

Submitted by saddlesore a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2004

Strengths:    strong, solid easy to set up and forget.

Weaknesses:    it is prone to dinging the paint on my downtube with the rebound ajuster. could be a problem on other bikes

Bottom Line:
    It works, it works very well and it made me want a FS frame to match! so I bought a Blur frame from the MTBR classifieds. I got the fork from a family who lost their cyclist in a car wreck, so I got it at a garage sale price. it easily outperforms any fork I have used and the travel adjust and lockout are handy on long long climbs. I would never have paid retail for this though, it is WAY too high, it may be good, but it is not that good

Favorite Trail:   Prairie view

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi Z1, Marzocchi Marathon, Psylo Race,

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur with XT and Raceface.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Cheverly, Maryland USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    Adjustment increments, lockout feature, overall ease of use, stiffness and performance

Weaknesses:    It could be a few grams lighter. not many optional colors

Bottom Line:
    The upgrade to the TALAS fork improves the handling characteristics of my GT one hundred percent! For instance, when riding up a steep upgrade the lockout feature makes the task a snap. When I am riding in the urban jungle, massive pot holes appear out of nowhere. However the TALAS just eats them for lunch and control is not an issue. It is nice seeing all the cars slow down on the rough surfaces and I will go right pass them smooth as butter .I recommend the fork for mountain biking off road as well as for rough city commuting.

Favorite Trail:   paved trails of Greater Washington DC area, off road a very technical trail in North Carolina

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   (98)Rockshox judy xc,
    (2001) Rock shox Judy sl

Bike Setup:   2001 GT i drive 3, syncros stem and handle bars, avid 3 brakes, Deore shifters and front derailer, xtr rear derailer, GT wheel set and Pythos gold 2.1 tires, Easton carbon seat post 31.6.

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Strengths:    Buttery smooth. Great design. Looks great. Beefy without being heavy. Easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    Takes awhile to lower travel. 3mm per click takes a bit.

Bottom Line:
    This fork is the best. I can't imagine riding with anything else. At the end of the ride, I see how much travel was used and am always amazed at how far up the "dust line" is. I look at it and wonder, "Where the heck was that bump?" I don't even feel the big hits, which is what a fork is supposed to do. So this fork does it's job, it does it EXTREMELY well and holds up to everything I've thrown at it.

Tho lockout and rebound features are easy to use. The adjustment feature is easy to use as well, it just takes a little longer. But you've gotta love all that adjustability.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized Enduro Expert

Submitted by Chris Bennett a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2004

Strengths:    Beautiful design and engineering, super smooth action, travel adjust system, light weight, stiff, great seals.

Weaknesses:    Could do with a through axle option. Travel adjustment needs fewer clicks.

Bottom Line:
    Having this fork played a big part in choosing my bike. I'm glad because I had never looked properly at an Specialized Enduro before and I think it is just brilliant. The Fox TALAS forks were about as "all mountain as you could get then. Recently Manitou has gone into overdrive and produced some great options. The Fox TALAS RLC, as a lightweight 5" fork can hold it's ground against anything out there. It is dissapointing that there is't a thru' axle version and, because of this, discs over 180mm aren't warrantied by Fox.
    Where it shines is: The damper is the smoothest over small bumps you'll find, it handles all bumps well. As with all "RLC" Foxes, being able to set the threshold of the lochout means you can set it up as a stable platform fork. Like most of these systems though, if you over do it you will lose small bump sensitivity. The travel adjustment is really cool. You can lean down and dial it while you're riding (not always recomended). There is only a light click resistacne. It would be even better though if each click moved it about twice as much. (6 clicks not 12).
    The machining tollerances are so tight that not a spec of dirt has got past the seals in over a year. No more than a light film of oil has come out either. I have never had to add any air. Set it up and it just works. I ride in a pretty rugged place withh lots of hard edged rocks to hit. This fork is inspiring!

Favorite Trail:   Red Hill

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   RS Psylo SL, RS Psylo Race, RS Sid SL, Manitou Skareb comp, Marzocchi Z1 dropoff,

Bike Setup:   Specialized '03 S-Works Enduro frame, XTR discs, Hope Bulb/Mavic 823'
    Azonic double wall bar, shorty 75mm stem, Azonic X pedals

Submitted by Antonio a Weekend Warrior from Bilbao

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Adjustability, weigth, stifness

Weaknesses:    oil leakage, price, too many clicks to change travel

Bottom Line:
    This is a good fork for all use, from XC to medium agressive freeride, adjustable lockout in a click, revound a comprensión adjustability, preload, travel (but with too many clicks, maybe better with 5 points.
    Good materials, no plastics, good looking, the 32mm botles give a good stiffness BUT
    IT is NOT a good fork for anything, neither XC o agresive freeride, heavy for XC and not so stiff for downhil.

It is also imposible to get 125mm of travel, the 120 is enough for the purposes of this fork

Favorite Trail:   Any single track