Fox Racing Shox Float 100 RLC 2004 Front Shocks

4.64/5 (28 Reviews)
Weight : 3.57 lbs.

• 100mm Travel (can be set to 80mm)
  • FOX exclusive PSC chassis provides unparalleled steering precision and industry leading torsional rigidity.
  • Patented, High-flow, open-bath damper with SDC (Shimmed Damping Control) and exclusive 3-Way top-cap adjusters for on-the-fly convenience.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chris in Denver

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, no fuss, durable, responsive, last forever..

Bottom Line:
    I have had these on my SC Blur since Spring 04. Finally started leaking a bit last month, taking in for service tonight.

I am nervous, as these have been bomb proof, I hope the shop is as bomber as these have been. My advice if you can find a pair is get them serviced regularly so you will have them for a long time. I don't think you are going to find a better xc shock out there.

Submitted by Mikeerac a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Light, strong, plush, reliable, confidence inspiring, damn good looking.

Weaknesses:    Hefty brake bosses look a bit sad now i'm running disk brakes.

Bottom Line:
    Without using them you will never know what all the fuss and expense is about, these are simply the best forks i have had, ever. I bought mine, used, from eBay, had them serviced by Fox Racing over three years ago and have never looked back, they have been swapped on to the last four frames i have run and have been a perfect match for all of them, hardtail or full sus. These forks seem to soak up the bumps in a very supple way which means the bike tracks arrow straight and is not deflected in any way that may be dangerous to the rider, inspiring great confidence. The biggest complement i can give them is that you forget about the vitally important job your front fork does in keeping you safe and just enjoy the ride. The adjusters (although a bit gritty when turned) all function very well and the lockout still keeps the whole thing rock solid. They may be due for another service but i can see me still using this fork in many years to come and are probably the only item on my bike that i would not consider upgrading. Get a nice clean set second-hand, get the serviced (£70) by Fox and you will still be saving yourself a ton of money over a new set. Brilliant!

Favorite Trail:   Swinley Forest

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp (2004),Fox F100RLC,Avid Juicy 5,WTB Speedisk Rims/DT Swiss hubs,Specialized Fasttrak Armadillo Elite, FLAT PEDALS.

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth, plush, stiff.

Weaknesses:    None, till recently - it now leaks air.

Bottom Line:
    I have enjoyed this fork for three seasons. I have done annual maintenance (oil changes, seals, wipers), but now the thing won't hold air for more than a week or so. The fix (new stanchions) is going to cost $200+.

It's a great performer, while it lasts....

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Purchased At:   Paint Creek Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Reba

Bike Setup:   04 Stumpy FSR Expert.

Submitted by Rob Hester a Weekend Warrior from Oviedo,FL USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability, high quality, holds air, no leaks on this 2004 Fork, I haven't had to put a dime into these forks...yet.

Weaknesses:    It's impossible to lockout/unlock the fork on the fly without accidentally adjusting the compression dial which lies directly under the lockout.

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden mu buddy's Cannondale Scalpel with a Lefty, I have ridden Manitou, but there's nothing like this Fork. If you ride trails with 5-6 inch root structures, dead trees laying across the trail that you have to get over, and 3 feet or less dropoffs, this fork will please you. I rode in Tsali,NC where the lockout was required going up the mountain, it was very convenient. Going down at speeds over 30 MPH, this fork inspired confidence and was very steady. I'm not fast, but I quickly caught two other faster guys going downhill and heard them complaining about their bikes becoming unstable and they had to use the brakes. Talk about confidence. If you aren't a downhill junky performing 4 feet or more launches, this is the only fork you will ever need. Well done Fox!

Favorite Trail:   Flagler Trail - Little Big Econ Natl Forrest

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Lefty, Manitou

Bike Setup:   2004 Stumpjumper FSR 30th Anniversary Disc Edition - Fox Float Triad, XTR everything, Fox Float 100 RLC, Crossmax SL, and Resolution 2.1 Tires. An oldie, but a goodie.

Submitted by Squirrel Cutter a Cross Country Rider from Land O'Gar, TEXAS

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Strengths:    I like the way this fork handles and the adjustability. I moved to this from a Manitou and the difference is night and day. Nothing vague as you make mid-course corrections at velocity. After 3 years the oil seal finally blew but it was always a thorough thrashing of man and machine when I rode it.

Weaknesses:    I thought when I bought it the price was high but with the current market where it is I'd call it money well spent. When you throw the lockout you always mess up the compression knob.

Bottom Line:
    This fork had everything thrown at it over the time I have owned it and held up very well. Of course, I don't jump off friggin' buildings or anything and it was well maintained over the years. I was waiting for the seals to go so I could send it and have it Pushed, which is the current location of said RLC. I have several bikes so this one will only be seeing intermittent duty from here on but I can't wait for it to come back so I can put the RIPley back together and get it all dialed in and go soak up some bumps. Definitely more fun than stepping on a nail.

Favorite Trail:   Rowlett Creek Preserve

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Noodly Manitou MARS Elite.

Bike Setup:   2001 Ibis RIPley, XT with discs.

Submitted by james senior a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Strengths:    every thing about them, strong, ajustable, good looking, light and unberleavable plush

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
    great forks i loved them was very sad when i sold them to buy and full sus

Favorite Trail:   glen tress red route

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   none move up from juddy tt's to these and they are not at all simalar

Bike Setup:   specilized hardrock comp 02. xt hubs on maveric x517s other parts as where on the oringanal bike

Submitted by scott bays a Cross Country Rider from charleston

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    light, stiff, and soaks up everything (small and big).

Weaknesses:    price and oil leaks

Bottom Line:
    This is the best performing fork I have ridden. It tracks true, soaks up the small stuff and big stuff equally as well. At about the 4 month mark the fork started leaking oil and kept getting worse. I sent it in and the seals are only warrented for 3 months. So after being without the fork for about a month I got it back to the tune of $75. As it turns out I have sent the fork in 3 times in about a year for the same price and loss of use for 3-4 weeks per. I find this unacceptable and have the fork as my back-up to my Marzocchi Bomber (if it ever needs servicing).
    Hopefully I just got a bit of a lemon.

Favorite Trail:   oak mountain, al

Purchased At:   with bike at lbs

Similar Products Used:   fox f80x, sid, Marzocchi bomber

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Niota

Submitted by Gordy a Weekend Warrior from Everett, WA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2006

Strengths:    This is the best fork I've ever used!!! Read all the reviews, test one at your LBS, and buy one! I can't say enough about Fox. I have been using a Talas on the rear of my Iron Horse sinister for a while now and I loved it so much I had to get a Fox fork. Before switching to Fox I was a die-hard Rock Shox user. Their quailty has continued to decline in the last few years. I've had to rebuild every one I've had several times (Psylo XC, Judy TT, Reba). All my riding pals have switched to Fox and I agree with them. The ride is PLUSH! Zero oscillation/wobble on hard downhill braking with Avid disc, great dampning and rebound adjustments, no leakage from seals yet (some reviews complain about this but if you read the manuals for the forks it says a bit of seepage is normal) and great control in tight switchbacks. Just get one!!!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    If you get one and somehow manage to wear it out (?) send it to the guys at Push Industries for a rebuild. They kick ass! If you set the fork up right you will find your riding ability will increase ten fold!!! Seriously!!! You gotta have one!!!

Favorite Trail:   Japanese Gulch, St. Eds

Similar Products Used:   Psylo XC w/U turn, Judy, Reba, Marz. Z4 freeride, RST (total crap!) Noleen (WAY back in the day!)

Bike Setup:   04 Iron Horse Sinister Expert, Fox F100RLC, Fox Talas, Avid bb7 Disc, XT mechs and Crankset/rings, Bontrager Race Disc, Mich. Hot S, WTB saddle, etc., etc.

Submitted by cam a Racer from dallas, tx

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2005

Strengths:    Solid on the drops, precise steering, dialed in bump threshold, bomb proof for a 220lb hammer!

Weaknesses:    Too much fun to think about what's weak. Plus other parts die well before any cleaning or use of the pump is needed!

Bottom Line:
    I win clydesdale off road duathlons and ride at a very intense and sadistic level. This fork last while frames, cranks, rings, bars, wheelsets, seatposts, saddles, grips, & even ME finally give up! Spend the $ - best investment yet!

PS
    That's correct, I have the '04 on 2 bikes and the '05 on 1 bike.

Favorite Trail:   barton, moab, grapevine

Similar Products Used:   Marz, Rock Shock, Mani, White Bros.

Bike Setup:   2004 spec s-works stumpjump, xtr groupo, raceface stem & bars, king headset, maxxis larson ust treads. Bike 2, 2004 Klein Attitude, xt groupo, bontrager race wheelset, real light & real fast on the single track! Bike #3, Single speed Rock Lobster for the epic challenges when I crank up the Sublime & Johhny Cash and head out seeking pain!

Submitted by Brett Wolmarans a Weekend Warrior from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2005

Strengths:    - Lock out (when it works)
    - Metal knobs are strong
    - Rebound dampening works great
    - Smooth feeling

Weaknesses:    - 90mm of travel - why don't they just say it?
    - I defy anyone to prove they get 100mm on this thing

Bottom Line:
    I weigh 225 and bunny hopping off some 1ft drops, landing with all my weight on the front, look at the dust line, yup, 90mm. And yes, I let almost all the pressure out just see how far it will go. 3 value chilis because its so expensive but 4 because its a great fork, just not 100mm.

Favorite Trail:   Los Robles or Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   Off Ramp

Similar Products Used:   none, this is my first decent fork, my last one was a judy

Bike Setup:   2004 Stumpy

Submitted by Riaan van Niekerk a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2005

Strengths:    Plushness, Small bump sensitivity, Stiff, Smooth, Has never bottomed out, Looks

Weaknesses:    Relative progressive feeling spring rate compared to Marz Marathon SL and newer (2005) Fox Terralogic, I've never achieved full travel: 83mm - 87mm.

Bottom Line:
    I've posted this review as a long-term review. The fork's done in excess of 5000km, including the Cape Epic (900km in 8 days) and the TransBaviaans (230km in 24hours).

I've done very little real hard racing with the fork.My weight is 90kg and riding style semi aggresive. The fork is used at least 5 times a week from 1 hour rides to 8 hour rides. I usually ride in dusty, dry weather.

The fork has not been opened at all. Service is limited to cleaning the stanchions after every ride - wipe bottom to top - and cleaning under the dust wipers once every six months. I started storing the shock upside down after about six months of ownership.

I once forgot to disengaged the lockout during a technical downhill - lockout stopped working for the duration of the ride but all was back to normal the following day?? This happended during the Cape Epic.

Right seal leaks oil. This started very soon (about the 5th ride) and was limited to being moist and attracting a ring of dirt around the stanchion. After about 14 months of riding (after completing the Cape Epic) the oil sometimes formed a visible streak on the right fork leg. This stopped after 2 months. The oil leak has now reverted to the intensity described at the start of this paragraph. I just ignore it during the ride and clean it after riding.

Of all the brands I have used, I will recommend this shock more than RS and Manitou. Marz is the only brand that makes real fit and forget shocks, but is less sexier than a fox. Stiffness is better than the Marz and plushness is better.

Bottom line: Buy if you have the $$ and is prepared to pamper the fork, otherwise just fit a Marz.

Favorite Trail:   Caledon 200

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy, Manitou MARS, Marz Marathon SL, Fox 100mm Terralogic

Bike Setup:   SC Blur, XT, XTR mix

Submitted by Guilherme Magalhães a Cross Country Rider from Brasília, Brasil

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Strengths:    Reliable, stable, light weight, 32mm stanchions are PERFECT, steering precision is amazing.

Weaknesses:    paint and decals

Bottom Line:
    I have been very pleased with this shock. The tracking on downhill decents has been right on, i got no vibration. You have to ride it to believe it. My level of riding also increased, due to the huge confidence jump I got from using these shocks. The best product also delivers with the best service,enough said

Favorite Trail:   Any with fast downhills

Purchased At:   BikeTech Brasília

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Axel Comp (NOT similiar, but....)

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500, all XT, Mavic CrossMax, Fox

Submitted by Dirt McGirt a Racer from Monroe, NJ, US

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    Plush when you need it to be and stiff when it has to be.

Bottom Line:
    After ordering and $650 top of the line XC Rock Shox and having it come leaking air and oil, I decided to try the Fox and have been extremely pleased. The difference in weight between the xc race derived Rock-shox is a mere half pound but the fox far out performs its competition. Don't believe the few bad reviews of this fork it's one of the best out there.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon