Redline Recon 2004 Freestyle Dirt Jumper

3.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by james a Racer from Yucca Valley

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Strengths:    well so far the bike is pretty strong. only problem i had with it was the guy at the shop didn't tighten the bolts enough for the handle bars and so when i went over a curb they came loose and i flipped over the bars and broke the break handle but the guy was pretty nice and gave me a new break handle and put it on for free so that was cool
but other than that it has good breaks, tires, rims seat and bars

Weaknesses:    well i think for $240+ u should get steel pedals but other than that it has no weaknesses

Bottom Line:
its a really good bike i like it my friends like it and i think u will like it

Favorite Trail:   dirt, skatepark and street

Purchased At:   Mikes bike shop

Similar Products Used:   redline romp

Bike Setup:   every thing is pretty much stock but the sprocket and pedals
i have both a 14 tooth rear sprocket and a 16 tooth on the rim so all u have to do is flip the wheel around the change the gearing and a 38 and 44 tooth for the front i swap in and out for racing or for riding at the park

Submitted by chase barnes from pheonix

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    good frame strong can take a beating

Weaknesses:    right crank smaller then other wobbles if you take to high of jumps and crash or hit a pole (most painful emergancy room visit ever 5 stitches)

Bottom Line:
love it strong for me i can crash of a bridge and it can take it (i know from the past) just fine

Purchased At:   ?????

Similar Products Used:   felt fuse,specialized fuse 2,fit flow,and sunday 2nd wave ian schwarts

Submitted by Randy Pisani a Weekend Warrior from Keswick, Ont

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2007

Strengths:    BEST BIKE I'VE EVER RODE! ITS STRENGTH IS LIKE SUPERMAN!

Weaknesses:    NUTHING, IM TOTALLY SATISFIDE

Bottom Line:
I Love This Bike And It Was Worth The $1500 I Put Into It

Favorite Trail:   Street

Purchased At:   Havies Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Pro Performer Series But Nothing Comes Close Too This Bike!

Bike Setup:   Well, when i first saw the redline recon it looked soo good i was like i want that! so i bought it for 420 bucks in 2004, right away i tried it out at the local skate park, and i knew i needed some mod's for it. soo i went too havies bike shop where i bought it and i said man can you hook mee up with some good bike parts, he was like "Thats Why I Work Here" soo he pulls out a huge catolog and i said wow, hes like pick what ever you want and ill order it and put it and ill even put it togeather FREE im like "OK" soo i ordered:double wall rims with seald bearings and a 3pc crack a 25 tooth sprocket and a 10 for the back i have specialized rubbers Handlebarsand forks i have a specialized neck and a pro light seat after i picked all this out he added it all up and it came too $1480 in the end off all this work THE CHAIN SNAPS i was pissed and bought it specialized and then he comes and shows me a grind plate and i bought that too soo i have $1500 bucks+ into it BUT IT WAS WELL WORTH IT 8D!

Submitted by addison thompson a Weekend Warrior from sioux city ia usa

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    strong frame

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
good bike to begin with

Favorite Trail:   street,dirt

Purchased At:   scheels

Bike Setup:   1piece crank,

Submitted by jake no from bp

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    strong frame, fast

Weaknesses:    VERY heavy not good for tricks or jumping

Bottom Line:
not very good, very heavy, it moght be good for beginers

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   mongoose gavel

Bike Setup:   redline proline

Submitted by rc a Weekend Warrior from gfield

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Strengths:    Tough bike! handles everything I throw at it. Perfect for intermediate riders.

Weaknesses:    1 piece crank kinda sucks... but its holding in there.
Plastic pedals broke off within 2 days, which bikebarn replaced with metal ones for free.

Bottom Line:
Good entry level BMX!

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill + BSP sk8 park

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by mitchell stevenson a Racer from atascadero

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    strong fast costimisable

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
nice starter bmx bike for older kids

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   k-man ciclery

Bike Setup:   3pc crank

Submitted by Jon Mills a Weekend Warrior from Dallas Texas

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Strengths:    Near indestructible, looks better in person!

Weaknesses:    Weak drivetrain

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It has a very solid feel to it. It is a heavy ride but I don't mind. Since changing out drive-train components it is vastly improved. I have a set of DK sealed hubs that I need to have laced to some Weinman rims. I need to get some new 990's and maybe some new bars. Came with a threadless headset so that stays. As much as I've dumped into this thing thus far I probably could have gotten a much higher end bike but this one is MINE. I got it at a good price so all the additions have been parts that I wanted.

Favorite Trail:   Street

Purchased At:   Plano cycle

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback ProXL, Redline RL20IIb, Torker260air,Dyno D-tour, GT Pro series cruiser.

Bike Setup:   I've up-graded to Free Agent 3-peicew/ sealed BB, Tuff-neck ring w/Odyssey power disc and KKT alloy pedals. Changed out the free-wheel and reduced tire size to 1.75's.

Anyone Know O-ring sizes for Rockshox Recon Race air solo

Hi I have been searching and googling to find the info but either cannot find specifically or not clear so any help would be appriciated. Basically my Rockshox Recon Race air solo (not sure the year But from a 2008 Giant XTC 2 bike) - the Poploc on the shocks does not seem to do anything anymore ... Read More »

True weight of Rockshox Recon Silver TK lower than listed

Just received my fork today! I went to my LBS and it is getting installed as we speak. I was curious about the weight difference between the stock Suntour XCR 29" and the Rockshox Recon Silver TK 29". Rockshox lists the Recon at 2186g. My local bike shop weighted the Recon before any cutting ... Read More »

rock shox tk 30 gold solo air, recon silver or suntour epicon x1?

Hi Im looking these to folks and not sure what to buy. Im 90kg and it will be fitted on a jamis durango sport 2012 Will be using for xc and single trail. Thanks BrendanRead More »

Manitou Tower Expert, Rockshox Recon Silver or Suntour Raidon?

I have a Suntour XCR on my Felt Nine Trail. I am looking to upgrade. Some of the forks I have considered are 1) Manitou Tower Expert $299 2) Suntour Raidon $189 3) Rockshox recon Silver $200 What would you go with out of these 3? Any other suggestions in this price range that are new? ... Read More »

Rock Shox Recon Silver Vs Suntour Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk/White 29

I am thinking of upgrading my Suntour XCR fork. I don't want to buy used and want to keep the price under $300. The Rock Shox Recon Silver TK will be $215 which includes shock pump and shipping. The Suntour Raidon would be about $230 ($189 + $12 for shipping + $20-30 for shock pump which I do ... Read More »