Ventana El Conquistador 2003 Tandem

-Legendary Ventana "Electric Sex" TIG welds
-Oversize 6061-T6 straight gage tubing
-Double seal, oversized cartridge bearings
-Quad bearing sets for increased lateral stiffness and longer life
-Rebuildable 17-4 stainless steel bearing axles at upper bearing pivot points
-10mm bearing axles at minor pivots
-15mm bearing axles at main and tower pivots
-4" rear travel using a 1.5" stroke Fox Float R Air shock
-High aspect ratio rocker for increased cornering stiffness
-Vertical dropouts with replaceable derailleur hanger
-International Standard disc brake mount
-Wrap around head tube gusset
-Internally butted head tube
-1 1/8" Steerer tube
-Fits 34.9mm top pull front derailleur
-27.2mm seat post diameters
-73mm, internally butted, one piece, CNC machined Stoker's BB shell and main pivot 68mm one key adjustable Captain's BB

Submitted by Jeff Nelson a Cross Country Rider from Santa Ana, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2005

Strengths:    The most fun you'll ever have on two wheels. The bike is beautiful, the ride is smooth, and customer service is excellent.

Weaknesses:    The rear triangle wasn't originally designed for 8" rotors, and we snapped 2 rear triangles finding this out. When Sherwood found out that we were using the larger brakes, he custom welded us one to put up with the mechanical forces that the 8" rotor puts out and we haven’t had any problems since.

Bottom Line:
My tandem partner and I have taken this bike down every trail imaginable and it has taken all the abuse. The bike tracks like a champ and is very forgiving about the bad lines that the driver picks. Just point it downhill, and as long as you can hold on, it will tackle any obstacle in its path. The stoker position has the most comfortable ride of any spot on any bike, as the rear shock soaks everything up. (We did a 56 mile, 9 hour ride in the Santa Ana mountains, so this was a huge factor)
The frame is 19” up front, 17” in the back and accommodates both a 6’1” 185 lb and 5’9” 155 rider. We constantly switch positions and other than high seatpost positions, the frame handles both riders in both positions. Building up the bike with strong parts has been on ongoing quest. We've taco'd a couple of wheels (Mavic 121’s) and finally settled on Mavic D321 with the thickest spokes we could find. (The back wheel weighs in at 5 lbs.!) We use an LX cassette in the back since they tend to be stronger than the hollow XT stuff. We broke 2 Salsa quick-release seat collars on the driver seatpost/stoker handlebar seat. They didn’t seem to clamp down hard enough to deal with all the forces on the drivers seat. The rear spring was upgraded to the heaviest thing Fox makes, as the stock spring instantly bottomed-out with both riders on it. This bike rocks and can tackle a lot of terrain.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Switchback Cyclery

Bike Setup:   2004 Junior T, LX cassette, XT deraileurs, Sugio cranks and chainrings, Hayes 8" disc up front, Grimeca 8” disc in the back, Mavic D321’s

Submitted by Tim Rangitsch a Cross Country Rider from Rapid City, SD USA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    Solid construction, well designed and excecuted suspension. Frame is built by a true tandem enthusiast and rider who under stands the needs of off road tandeming (Sherwood @ Ventana)

Weaknesses:    None. Some may argue price, but this frame is cheap if you consider the price of two good off road FS frames that it will replace.

Bottom Line:
This bike has opened up the terrain available to us. We can now take bigger hits, clean rugged climbs, and maintain speed through rock gardens, roots, and manage taller step ups.

The bike has been trouble free for over a year of hard offroad riding. The suspension is reliable, predictable, and sets up easily. The travel is efficient and has no downfalls, climbs better than a rigid tandem.

Can't go wrong with this tandem. IF you understand off road tandeming, you will appreciate what this bike will do for your riding. It makes better tandem teams. You will not be dissapointed. Custom sizing and colors are available. 3",4", or 5" rockers also can be had, we've run 5" and 4" and like the 5" best, plenty of sag.

Purchased At:   www.acmebicycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Deja Two, Fisher Gemini, Fandango SC-9, DaVinci

Bike Setup:   King hubs, Magura Gustav discs, 5" travel rear option, Marzocchi DJ II QR 20 fork, King headset, Sun Rhynolite rims, 8spd steel cogs shifted by Suntour XC Pro shifters.

Submitted by Wayne Spurlock a Cross Country Rider from Green Bay, WI

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    The frame is nice and rigid with no lateral flex. The comfort of the ride is similar to that of my Intense Tracer....smooth. My wife says her comfort level increased ten fold!

Weaknesses:    The rear shock air valve is poorly placed. It is obstructed by part of the rear suspension.

Bottom Line:
This bike will make your wife happy and put a smile on your face, too. Downhill decents are effortless. The full suspenion will take the edge off. The front fork is beefy and very rigid. We had no problem flying through the single track.

Alex, at MTB tandems built this bike and he built it to last. Every detail has been tended too! This baby is built to conquer the mountains! Quality and attention to detail will be your first thoughts when you see this bike. "Wow" will be your first thoughts when you ride this bike.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am riding

Purchased At:   MTBtandems

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale tandem

Bike Setup:   ATC front fork, Gustav brakes, Race Face cranks, XT rear derail, Fox rear shock, White Industries hub set,

Submitted by David Gale a Weekend Warrior from Wilton, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    This is a light weight, full suspension, sure-nuf tandem mountain bike designed for all-out killer trails or a scenic cruise through town. The finished product is a handsome, comfortable riding machine that promotes owner pride and confidence.

Weaknesses:    I have a friend that has an older Ventana Conquistador in the same color (red). There is noticeable paint fade on his frame. However, his frame is older with lots of hard use.

Bottom Line:
This is, with out a doubt, a top of the line tandem mountain bike. I am sure that a less expensive tandem could be found. And there may be something out there just as good, but I don't believe that a better all-around tandem mountain bike exists.

I found my best deal over the internet at MTBTandems.com and I couldn't be more pleased with their service. Alex Nutt, owner/operator of that business is the most knowledgeable tandem mountain bike dealer/builder I have ever spoken with. If you have any intensions of purchasing a tandem mountain bike you owe it to yourself to contact him and pick his brain before you purchase.

There is absolutely no reason that I cannot highly reccomend this bike to the serious recreational tandem mountain bike team. However, if you are just looking for a tandem to ride through town, you don't need this much bike.

Purchased At:   MTBTANDEMS.COM

Similar Products Used:   I have owned and ridden a Yokota tandem for some years. I purchased the Yokata because it was inexpensive and I had little money at the time of purcahse. The Yokata was a very good bike for the money but it can in no way compare to the Ventana, with the exception that they are both tandem mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Conquistador de Montanas full suspension mountain tandem frame(19/16) red; Marzocchi Jr T suspension fork, 110mm travel, with air assist , 20mm axle, standard stem; Magura Gustav disc brakes front and rear; Magura Gustav Rotors, front and rear; Shimano HG70 9speed cassette, 11-32; Race Face bottom brackets and cranks; Shimano XT Derailleurs, White Indusstries disc hubs;

Submitted by Tom Seeliger a Cross Country Rider from Verdi, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Strengths:    Great all-round cross country tandem.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Alex at MTB Tandems is extremely knowledgeable on parts selection for this type of bike. His service was outstanding. The bike has held up very well riding a mix of single track, jeep trails and a week of crash and burning in Moab. If you are going to really ride your tandem off road, full suspension is the only way to go especially for the stoker.

Favorite Trail:   Cow Canyon

Purchased At:   MTB Tandems

Similar Products Used:   Assorted Cannondale hardtails.

Bike Setup:   ATC Fork, SRAM 9.0. Hayes hydraulic brakes with 205/190 rotors, 2.4 Motoraptor tires.

Paid Spam - Ventana El Conquistador Frameset - 17/16 - $1600

Link to MTBR ad: [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=59477&cat=7[/url] Cheers :DRead More »

El Conquistador, fit question

A 2000 EC is for sale. Currently set up, it has a standover height of 33". Owner says adjusting the front shock, will lower standover to about 31". The front shock is a Stratos FR4-T (tandem model), 1-1/8" stearing tube, standard 101mm travel. However, I have a 28" inseam and would like to hav ... Read More »

S&S El Conquistador thread that I can see!

I can't seem to see the original thread, so I figured I'd post some pics of a couple we've built lately...Read More »

Pics / Build of New El Conquistador de Montanas

just finished building it this afternoon. updating from a '96 custom Sycip tandem (that I bought second hand and it's a bit big for me, really, and my kids too). This is the smallest stock frame size 17"/14" in the stardust color. It is intended for me (165 lbs) and one of my two kids (60lbs/45lbs) ... Read More »

How tough is the El conquistador?

I've e-mailed ventana regarding this and am still awaiting a response so I thought I'd ask here. My girlfriend and I are going to go take a long trip through Asia. I figure a tandem is the best way to go. I also want to get a tandem that I can also enjoy on the local trails. I love the ide ... Read More »