Yeti Cycles ARC 2003 Hardtail

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

If one bike epitomizes "back-in-the-day" it isThe Yeti ARC. Originally a joint project inThe early nineties with EastonTo createThe lightest hardTail onThe market,The ARC has and continuesTo setThe standard for hardtail performance. ItsTrademark Yeti loop stays, optimized Yeti PureTubing and perfect race geometry, are just a few ofThe featuresThat makeThe ARC a clear winner inThe hardtail category. Up front you'll findThe latest in suspensionTechnology - Fox Float suspension. It's packed with

Submitted by Mike Mayefske a Racer from Laguna Beach

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2007

Strengths:    Notta! This is one kick ass bike! Fast climbing and great fun going down. Will be racing on it this season and I am sure that the ARC will blow my old bike out of the water!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike not to long and it has blown away all the other hard tails that I have ridden. I have the weight down to 20.25Lbs with pedals. The price is right with the frame cost @ 800.00 Most frames in this category are 1000 + so you get ore for your $$$! Not only that, its Hot looking! Bottom Line, GREAT BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   Rock-It

Purchased At:   Laguna Cyclery/Yeti

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Alma Carbon, Cannondale Optimo

Bike Setup:   Fox F100, 07 XTR drive train, SRAM Attack shifter, Avid Juicy Ultimate, Crank Bros 4ti, King headset, 07 Mavic Crossmax SL, Race Face Carbon bar, Selle Italia SLR seat, Thomson stem, USE QR and seatpost, Panracer XC pro tires.

Submitted by jeremy blanchard a Cross Country Rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast.

Weaknesses:    twichy on tech trails, very flexible in the form ( sids )

Bottom Line:
Fantasticly fast bike and climbs well, but not suited to a beginner ( this was my 1st MTB ). I ended up putting messenger tyres on it and riding on paved trails. it was a nightmare on tight technical wining rocky trails here in Hong Kong, much to flexible. I sold it for a 575 which I had for 5 weeks and then cashed both in for a SC Nomad. A case of the girht bikle for the right rider and terrain. I was sold the wrong bike and knew no better. I somewaht miss the speed of the machine and its renowned climbing, but the Nomad is no slouch!

Favorite Trail:   Tai Mo Shan

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Flying Ball

Similar Products Used:   575 and SC Nomad

Bike Setup:   X9, Truvativ Crank, Easton Carbon flat bar. Avid Juicy7, Sid's, Mavix Crossmax SL

Submitted by Brent a Racer from Brighton, MI USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is extremely light, responsive, and climbs like a goat. I wasn't sure about the color at first, but when I got it, it was so purdy. The turning on this bike is so quick and it has the fast feel to it.

Weaknesses:    You get a lot of attention riding one because no one gas one and the color makes it stick out of a crowd!!!

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have ridden. I went from a hardtail to a FS racing bike, and noticed I chose horrible lines. The FS was heavy and didn't climb as well. I sent the FS in for warranty and looked for a hardtail again. I was informed REI had Yeti and I started looking into them. This bike climbs so well and is amazingly light. I have it built up just under 22lbs.

Favorite Trail:   North Country Trail

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   T-Wrek, Santa Cruz Blur, Tomac Revolver, Specialized S-Works, Bianchi CuSS SS

Bike Setup:   SRAM X.0 components, Race face cranks and flat bars, Mavic 717 Wheels laced to XT, Avid BB7s w/ Speed Dial SL levers, Thomson post, SLR saddle, Manitou Skareb 80mm Super w/ Remote Lock-Out

Submitted by Geoffrey Montague a Racer from St. George, Utah

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, Response, Colors, Loop Stays, Durability, Turqoise, It's a Yeti!

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike! I have waited a long time to find the perfect bike for the riding that I do. I am a very lightweight rider so weight is a plus over suspension technology. Once I finished building this bike from scratch I was extremely impressed. I love the acceleration and this bike really holds a line through the rough stuff. On ashphalt this bike is fast but in the dirt it flat out hauls. I love how I am yet 1 again with the bike. It's capibilities are endless! I am always trying to qualify myself to be worthy of this work of art. Purchase an ARC and you can't go wrong! You will sell all your other bikes because of your new flame.

Favorite Trail:   Goose Berry

Purchased At:   Desert Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F4000, Yeti ASR-SL, Yeti 575, Fishlips Titanium, Salt Magnesium,

Bike Setup:   Yeti 2005 Frame with FSA Carbon Cranks, Sram Shifting and Deraillers, Chris King Hubs laced 1 cross to DS1's, Avid Juicy Brakes with a Fox 100X Fork.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Earth

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2004

Strengths:    -Immediately in exclusive category
-Arguably the most storied hardtail in the history of mtb racing (Tomac, Giove, Furtado...'nough said)
-You won't see another one on the trail

Weaknesses:    Puh-leeze...Okay, maybe I prefer the current Turquoise color to be more blue-ish (like the old days) than green-ish.

Bottom Line:
The Yeti ARC is flat out the greatest bike I have ever ridden. Now I'm not one to defend a product AFTER purchasing it (I've written plenty of poor reviews after forking over big bucks), but I can clearly demonstrate that the ARC is faster than any previous owned mountain bike. I can regularily cycle in the 42x14 chainring, whereas in my other rigs, I was relugated to using the middle chainring and such. All my previous bikes were steel because in general that material is more compliant than aluminum. But not with the Yeti. The looped chainstays really work as advertised. I sometimes switch out the knobbies to the Fatboys and I can keep up with the roadie crowd. Bike is a bit expensive, but hey, nobody complains about a Ferrari or Lotus do they?

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kilauea, Jamis Diablo, Specialized Stumpjumper, Bianchi Project 5, Trek 7000...all good bikes.

Bike Setup:   Mostly XT gruppo (including thumbshifters baby!), 959 pedals, Mavic Crossrides, Avid brakes (XT brakes squeal like a pig)

Submitted by Dongee a Weekend Warrior from Greenville

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Looks, Build Quality, Handling,

Weaknesses:    Must always worry about it being gone. Must keep the garage door shut. Must lock it in the garage when not in use. Must spend too much time staring at it. The factory wheels did not come true.

Bottom Line:
It took me two years searching for a dream bike with "money is no object" approach. I narrowed it down to 4 finalists, but the problem was that all 4 bikes were extremely difficult to find in the East Coast. I kept reading about these bikes, but I wasn't about to spend my life time savings without first trying it. While visiting bike shops, one of the dealers let me ride their employee's Yeti ASR which is a full suspension bike. The ride of this was amazing. I could not forget the ride even after coming home, and that was when I decided to go with a Yeti. At the time, my aging full suspension GT LTS-3 started to give me squeaks at all the pivots. Since GT was no longer the old GT company, finding pivot bushings was a problem although I somehow managed to find a bike shop who had extra bushings. This made me hesitate to buy a full suspension, although the 2003 Yeti ASR has bearings in their pivots. I then decided to get an ARC, but again not without trying one first. In the meantime, I kept rotating my bikes to feel the difference in the ride characteristics between, steel rigids, aluminum full suspension, and borrowed aluminum hardtail. Did not like the aluminum hardtail because of the harsh "sting" in the rear. Another 2 months went by without success of finding an ARC in the bike shops within 200 mile radius. More reading revealed that the ARC has scandium top and down tubes that make the ride almost like a titanium bike. Not being able to wait any longer, I took a gamble ordering it without trying it first. I chose to order it through a bike shop although a better deal could've been possible through a website. Reason was that if the bike came in a little larger than what I wanted, I figured it was going to be easier to exchange or make it fitted to me. Sorry about all this long story, but here is the real thing....

Bike came in, and I drove an hour with my camera to meet the bike. It was awesome. The bike shop guys took turns test riding it already. With a complete excitement, I brought it home after a short test ride. Then I found out many of the "changes/or swapping out components" on the bike was not done as promised. I had ordered a shorter crank, asked to swap left and right brakes, a larger 34 cogs, etc. The only item that was done right was the stem. Having said that, I was glad that the components stayed the same. Everything worked fine as they were, well, with the exception of the wheels not being true. Brake pads rubbed a little. Did not even find out until later that the pads were rubbing because the bike moved so effortlessly. I constantly find myself moving chain up to the big chainring whereas before I pretty much stayed with the middle ring the whole time on other bikes. Riding through neighborhood felt like I was on a road bike as the ARC accelerated better than my old road bike (not a bad one either). Two weeks ago I took it to Tsali. I used to be the last one of the group, always telling friends not to wait for me. Well, the equation has changed. I barely break a sweat. The ride was actually better than my fullsuspension GT even going downhill. Only problem was that the Avid brake levers chattered a lot at rough downhill. Of course I spent a great deal standing up, but I was not tired at all after the first 10 or so miles. The bike is a blast to ride. My medium ARC with the stock kit weighs at 23.3 lbs. I could lighten it up more, but I am completely satisfied with it at the moment that I find no reason to start to swapping out components. I figured the bike should have been better assembled such as truing wheels, and brake adjustment, etc when a customer pays top dollar. Although I was capable of "fine tuning" it just right, it should've been really the bike shop's job to make it right before it went out the door. Therefore, I reluctantly lower grade one notch by giving 4 stars for value but give full 5 stars for the top overall rating.

I am thinking about joining a roadie friend for a ride one day to see if I could keep up. I find myself keep riding and riding to death because it is so much fun.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Pro Bike @ Asheville, NC

Similar Products Used:   Own 4 other bikes, but nothing similar.

Bike Setup:   Stock "Race Light" XT kit minus stem which was replaced with a shorter 80mm Salsa stem.

Submitted by Luke a Racer from Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good, feels good, stiff, fun, fast, desirable. Makes people look at you.

Weaknesses:    Almost too good - you may find yourself with no friends 'cos you ride it so much! You may have to file away some paint from the dropouts to fit the wheels in.

Bottom Line:
This is the daddy! If you want the best XC race bike then get one of these. The bike may not feel that light but just wait until you go up technical hills and feel it float up them with minimum effort. For £2000 you can get a decent build and upgrade as bits wear out - but you will never find the heart to replace the frame.

Purchased At:   GA Cycles

Bike Setup:   Yeti ARC frame, Duke Race, XT, Hope, Thompson.

Submitted by Marc a Cross Country Rider from Brentwood CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    Awsome product. I have been riding this bike for over two years and have nothing but praise or it. The ARC geometry is supperior to anything that I have ridden. I used to have a Klein Attitude (before Trek) and it was a good bike, but you could not ride it for hours on end like I can on the ARC and walk the next day.

Weaknesses:    None, if you want a great ridding race worthy hardtail this is it.

Bottom Line:
This is the bike for hard tail people. The bike media is hyping the full suspension bikes to get the bike companies to put adds in there mags. The limmited advantages of full suspension for XC riding is out weighed by the added compexity of the bike and the added weight. For pure XC ridding nothing beats good old Al and a hard tail. The ARC will never let you down, oh did I mention that my Large frame ARC is only 23lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Black Dimond Mine (near my house)

Similar Products Used:   Klein, Cannondale Hard tails ect.

Bike Setup:   Scram XO rear, XT front derailer, SHOX SID XC, Eggbeater pedals.

Submitted by michel crow a Cross Country Rider from santa fe new mexico usa

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    solid frame,beautiful welds,no flex,VERY responsive,light
fast

Weaknesses:    YA GOTTA BE KIDDING NONE

Bottom Line:
Been riding since1 1988,this is one fast bike,climbing is a
blast it's like there's wind under your butt,response in
tight single track is unreal,on the flats you think you'r
on a road bike-top continous speed for a 5 mile run-31mph