Trek 820 2003 Hardtail

4.24/5 (29 Reviews)

Submitted by Lee Hilgendorf a Cross Country Rider from Milton, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    Very strong frame, gears are right for all around X country, roads and fire lanes. Hose off the mud, dry it off and your good to go

Weaknesses:    Bad fork, Hard grips, didn't like the brake pads so I changed them.

Bottom Line:
I have had the bike since 2003 new and since have changed the fork to a Dart 2, replaced the brakes and cables everything else is still good to go. Keep the derailer oiled and clean and it works great. This is a great all around bike to start out with. I have seen people go over big drop offs and not break anything. Heavy steel frame that won't break. No problems with anything else. I am 6' 2" and 210 lbs and it hauls me around just fine. I have worn out one set of tires, brake pads and peddles. Time for a new seat.

Favorite Trail:   Any I can got to in the area

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek navigator 300

Bike Setup:   myself. Didnt like the way the shop set it up

Submitted by lejcjohnson a Weekend Warrior from Anywhere US

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Strengths:    Is still running after more than 6 years on the trails. I bought this thing in Germany years ago and I am now in Iraq with it. This thing is great for the money.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, cheap parts. But still a Trek

Bottom Line:
For the money it is a great bike. It has been road hard and put up wet and continues to roll. Looking to rebuild it after the trip to the desert.

Purchased At:   Germany

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Zwevegem - Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2007

Strengths:    -Super Solid Frame (once made a accidental jump from 8 ft and it suvived)
-Easy steering
-Has evrything you need (but in a cheap way...)
-Good front-suspension (even if its not adjustable)
-Still no rust on the frame, even after 6 years

Weaknesses:    -All components are almost the cheapest there are, so don't expect high-level results
-Very poor rims furnished
-Fron derailleur seems to block once in a while
-Heavy!

Bottom Line:
When I purchased this bike 6 years ago I bought it because of the low price for a "Trek". With a little investment over the years, I still have a solid bike, good and reliable parts, strong enough to survive a big jump, or strong enoug to do a rough downhill. Okay, there are nicer bikes on the market, but even if you willing to pay for it, it will never be as solid as a steel frame-bike.

Favorite Trail:   Kluisberg

Purchased At:   JOWAN

Bike Setup:   -Pedals changed to SPD
-Crancks changed to Deore LX
-Cow-bars added
-Rigida Rims
-XT-derailleur on the back (must!!)
-LX-derailleur on the front (Must !!!!!!)

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Zwevegem - Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2007

-Easy steering
-Has evrything you need (but in a cheap way...)
-Good front-suspension (even if its not adjustable)
-Still no rust on the frame, even after 6 years

Bike Setup:   -Pedals changed to SPD
-Crancks changed to Deore LX
-Cow-bars added
-Rigida Rims
-XT-derailleur on the back (must!!)
-LX-derailleur on the front (Must !!!!!!)

Submitted by Keenan from NJ

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Strengths:    Never breaks

Weaknesses:    Gears mess up

Bottom Line:
Great Bike

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Graham LeGault a Weekend Warrior from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2005

Strengths:    It's a really tough bike, It stands up to everything I dish out, decent components for the money!!

Weaknesses:    It's a little heavy, but you get what you pay for. The grips are a little big.

Bottom Line:
It's a sweet ass bike for the money! I have bruised and abused this bike so badly, and it still rides amazing! The gears sometimes make a funny noise, but hey I have ridden this baby HARD! I just put a little chain lube on it and it shifts and sounds fine. Buy this bike if you are looking for a good bike to piss around the trails on, or if you are starting to take a serious intrest in mounatin biking! I'm looking to upgrade to a Norco Manik, or a Kona Stuff in the upcoming year, i'm getting a little more serious about the sport. This bike gets 5/5 for sure. Trek all the way dudes!

Favorite Trail:   white butte, and any other ones I can find

Purchased At:   Westen Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona Fire Mountain

Bike Setup:   I'm rollin' stock.

Submitted by Paul McKenzie from Tousand Oaks

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2005

Strengths:    Durability, ability to soak up bumps and manueverability.Great bike fo singletrack

Weaknesses:    Heaviness and suspension

Bottom Line:
Perfect bike for singletrack. Buy it if you are a beginner or just love sigletrack. test it first because it has air shocks not springs.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:    Bycycle garage Indy

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   specialized grips, new cat eye stirups for the pedals, new Serfas seat.

Submitted by montana smith a Weekend Warrior from SLC UTAH USA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2004

Strengths:    lots of stuff

Weaknesses:    i dont know i just got it a few days ago and i havent done anything that has a weakness to it

Bottom Line:
this bike is awsome i love it this is a perfect bike for me the brakes are awsome! and the shiffters are great this is the best bike ive ever had!

Favorite Trail:   all of them are my favorites!

Purchased At:   gythrie

Similar Products Used:   a roadmaster

Bike Setup:   they set it up for me

Submitted by Alan Johnson a Downhiller from torrance california united states

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2004

Strengths:    Very tough and rugged. really takes whip out well. I personally love this bike it is a great mountain bike for first timers.

Weaknesses:    some times it is hard to shift some times but other than that it is an all around great bike. HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY!!!!

Bottom Line:
the bottem line is that it is an great all around bike. Even though it some times does not want to shift but thats ok. It really shapes up the legs well too. I would definitly recomend this bike to any one who is looking for great quality for its price

Favorite Trail:   phone trail

Purchased At:   bikecology

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    A TOUGH bike! Great for the money. Very reliable, Shifts great every time.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY. It's a steal bike. You get what you pay for. If you want strong and light, it's not cheap; if you want cheap and strong, it's not going to be light.

Bottom Line:
I have pretty muched tested this bike to the limits. I rode this bike at least 5 times a week on single track. The front suspension leaves something to be desired, but, you get what you pay for. Other than that, the bike has been great. Havn't had trouble with the anything other than a slipping seatpost. Great, strong bike! If not money, you pay for the toughness in weight. However, a heavier bike=stronger legs. Great bike to test your love of MTB.

Favorite Trail:   Buttermilk

Purchased At:   Agee's

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Alec a Cross Country Rider from Mentor, Ohio

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2004

Strengths:    decent components, excellent value, great handling, steel frame(i'm kind of a traditionalist...i like steel)that is light enough and bomb proof.

Weaknesses:    stock pedals suck: slippery when wet...fork acts up in cold weather, brakes suck...pads worn very quickly, and need adjusting often

Bottom Line:
I just rode the CAMBA New Years Day urban assualt with this bike, and i was extremely proud to be on it..i rode off of 3 foot drops and stairs, and kept up with and passed some of the group that was riding lightweight bikes...the chain never slipped, the rims stayed true, the fork soaked up the hits(it was warmer than freezing that day). I was very happy with how the bike performed, given that it was an entry level bike...obviously it will not withstand huge drops, but it will handle the trails very well, and take a lot of abuse...while keeping some cash in your wallet to upgrade the various parts that need it. I would like to thank Trek for a great bike, and for making me a MTB lover.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack i can find, legal or not

Purchased At:   REM cycle