Trek 8000 2003 Hardtail

4.59/5 (34 Reviews)

Submitted by Rafy a Racer from Miami

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2010

Strengths:    Light frame!

Weaknesses:    Too mixed components ranging from alevio brakes to XT rear derailler...

Bottom Line:
Great mountain bike! Had the 2000 before, sold it due to space limitations, and got another one. Trek is a great manufacturer!

Favorite Trail:   Oleta

Purchased At:   Local Bike store

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 2000 model

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by kurtkola a Weekend Warrior from Onalaska, WI

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff and super light.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager crank and Deore LX shifters. XT front and rear derailleurs. Duke shock just ok. Needed Trek adapter for rear disc.

Bottom Line:
This hardtail rocks!

Favorite Trail:   Great River

Bike Setup:   Matrix Crossrides,Kenda Tomac Small Block Eight, Avid BB7 Discs,Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Crank, Sram X.9 Triggers, Sram X.9 Front Derailleur, Sram X.9 Rear Derailleur, Thomson Elite Seat Post, Thomson Elite Stem, Shimano Saint/SLX Cassette. Race Face XC Next Flatbar

Submitted by Bert Coorevits a Weekend Warrior from Moen , Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2007

Strengths:    Ultrastiff frame .
I still ride the 2001 trek 8000 17,5" ; and haven't regretted it for a moment. Its a real racer .

Weaknesses:    none (never rode it with original setup ; maybe there can be some remarks...)

Bottom Line:
ultrastiff racer ; very , very fun bike !!

Favorite Trail:   Bouillon

Similar Products Used:   scott tacana solution

Bike Setup:   crossmax xl ; rockshox SID blackbox ; magura hs 33 ; XTrear derrie , front derrie , casette , hollowt.cranx , rapidfire shifters ; s-works low riser

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Queens, New York City

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2004

Strengths:    ZR9000 frame. Quality job on the paint, great customer service by TREK in the long run (they stand behind their product)

Weaknesses:    Any Bontrager part that is mechanical--everything else is great.

Bottom Line:
I shopped for a bike purchase for a year and a half or so before deciding on the TREK 8000 and don't regret it one bit. Mine is actually a 2002 model, but I don't think the setup has changed much.

Problems I had within the first few months that TREK more than made up for in the long run:

A) My spindle was too short on the BB so I could only use the big chainring. I got a call from the Chairman of TREK-Japan after having a lot of trouble getting anyone in Wyoming to read or answer my e-mails regarding multiple warranty issues. The Chairman even gave me a free jersey as an apology--Apology most heartily accepted in the form of the USPS yellow jersey (truth is, I was expecting a water bottle or a hat).

Trek replaced the BB with a splined XT bottom bracket without realizing the original was a tapered mount, but I sprang for the XT cranks and was very happy I did. I put the Bontrager cranks on the 1995 Trek, which wasn't seeing any trail by that point, and one of the pedals ripped out of the crankarm--Bontrager must have made it out of cheese. TREK wouldn't replace this, saying I must have been jumping the bike (I don't jump), but they had done so much for me as a customer and I had already bought the XT cranks, so I didn't mind.

B) A rip developed in the tail of the saddle without any help from a crash or anything. TREK said they couldn't supply the same as a replacement even though it was on their 2003 bikes, but they said I could get any saddle in the same price range. In ended up making a deal with my LBS where the price of the stock saddle was put towards my eventual choice--a Bontrager Race Lite with titanium rails (Oooh! Aaaaah!)

C) Shimano 959 pedals--they're lighter, better, all around great. I'd ridden 515s for 2 or 3 years by that point and simply wanted to upgrade--which was a good call.

I made more changes, really custom fitted my ride, and it is absolute perfection now--mostly due to the great frame made by TREK and the non-mechanical parts such as the handlebar by Bontrager (Bontrager hubs aren't as bad as people say actually).

Bottom Line is this: It would be hard to impossible to make a better stock bike purchase. The effect on my riding and enjoyment from day one--even with the problems I had--was a giant leap forward. Personally, I wouldn't make another stock bike purchase.

Next one will be a frame set, but that's because of me, not the bike setup by the manufacturer. And I now consider the choice of manufacturer (TREK in this case) to be just as important a consideration in purchase as anything else.

Even though I had some problems communicating with TREK in the beginning--and realize I was living in Japan at the time--they came through, five stars, in the end.

It would be unreasonable to expect any better than the quality of bike and manufacturer (standing behind their product for this single rider beyond all call of duty) than what I got.

I bought a great bike, and I got considerate and considerable service besides.

Can't go wrong with a TREK 8000.

Favorite Trail:   Global

Purchased At:   Seo Cycle at LalaPort, Tokyo Bay, Minami-Funabashi, Japan

Similar Products Used:   Tricycle that I beat to death until I got my Schwinn two wheeler from my uncle when I was seven, whatever I could get my hands on after that, a Peugot US Express I bought used when I went to college, then a 1995 Trek cro-moly rigid which came with a car (I still have this one and it's doing great), and finally my first all new bike purchase, my preeeeacousss Trek 8000.

Bike Setup:   I'll never buy a stock bike again (but I'm not knocking this excellent setup by TREK): Shimano 959 pedals, Shimano XT bottom bracket and 172.5mm cranks, Bontrager Race Lite saddle with titanium rails, Shimano XTR cables and housings (best thing I ever bought), SIDI Eagle 4 cycling shoes (Not available in the US I think, definitely should be considered a component); Lizard Skins on the chainstay, headtube, and fork; Thompson Elite seatpost

Submitted by Graham A a Cross Country Rider from Glos, England

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2004

Strengths:    Light Frame, Handling, Decent level of kit.

Weaknesses:    Crank, Setup

Bottom Line:
Yes I know it's well into 2004 but this was a much reduced bike in the Sale. I like this bike a lot. It feels so light even with my heavy frame on it and the handling seems responsive as well. Swapped out brakes (which are OK but not great) and saddle (which I actually quite like) onto my old 7000 when I bought it.

The crank squeaked a lot when purchased - though not so much now - and as most people say it sucks chain when in the wet stuff. Rest of the Bontrager stuff seems great though - and the wheels seem to be put together well.

Also when first bought the rear derailleur cabling kept sticking - tried lubing, but had to replace it and now it shifts as it should.

Definitely one for cross-country riders and trailquesters. Will be using it on long-distance off-road camping touring as well later this year - should be up to that as well.

Favorite Trail:   Cwm Carn

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles UK

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000, Marin Mt Vision

Bike Setup:   Now with A WTB Rocket Titanium saddle and Avid Ti brakes. Also ditched tyres and switch between Specialized Crossroads and IRC Notos. Time Atac pedals. Also reversed stem to get the lower feel that I'm used to.

Submitted by J a Racer from DC

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    stiff on climbs, decent components

Weaknesses:    no upgrade to rear disc brake possible
almost too stiff (= painful) on long rides, relays
not wild about the fork
cranks/rings viable to chainsuck

Bottom Line:
A great buy for the price. I see that a lot of folks mention the uncomfortable seat as a negative. I think the seat is actually very good - it's the frame. This occured to me during last weekend's 12-hour extravaganza during which I got to spend 7 hours on this bike on a pretty rutty trail. It hurt, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the saddle. This frame absorbs nothing. I'm predominantly a roadie, and my technique isn't all that great, and partner that with this super-stiff frame, and you may be in for some pain. Technically advanced riders may have no problem here. On the upside, this thing rockets uphill like no bike I've had before despite it being not superlight. One more thing about the stiffness: If anything isn't tied down on, it'll rattle loose. Check up on your headset, spokes, cranks, fillings, earrings, etc., more often than you normally would. And get some loctite.

If I could change one thing, it'd be the cranks - I get really bad chainsuck in muddy conditions, even if rings and chain have been cleaned before. Haven't had that this badly before.

The fork is adequate for the price of the bike, but of course there are much better ones out there. Same goes for weight - it's by no means a clunker, but it does have some parts on there that are heavier than the gearhead would like. I don't think I lose much time b/c of the fork or the weight. Value-wise, the other components are appropriate imho.

For the L frame that I ride, the handlebars were too wide - I cut off about an inch on either side, and it's much better now (I have the cane creek mini barends).

The tires were better than expected from reading the reviews. A bit heavy as well, but they did fine for me. I never felt unsafe, and they perform well in mud. I rode them out and got some IRC Mythos and light tubes instead.

The Avid disc brake is a great upgrade depending on the conditions you ride in. It's simply silly that there is no disc adapter for the rear, and the 'explanation' they give for it (just get the 8500). In the end, it works out ok b/c the front disc slows you down enough to let the rear V brake do the rest. Makes you faster downhill I guess...

Overall, a good deal for a great bike despite some minor misgivings. Despite listing the negs only, I really like this bike, especially for the price. I highly recommend it, but you may want to invest in a disc brake/wheel, and a susp seatpost. 4 flaming ones each.

Similar Products Used:   '89 C'dale F1000

Bike Setup:   stock, mod w/ Avid front cable disc brakes

Submitted by Joseph Irwin a Racer from FL

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2004

Strengths:    Good frame and air fork.

Weaknesses:    Cranks junk and seatpost snaped about it.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money first of all. Middle of the line race bike. Light frame a plus with a duke air fork.

Selling the 8000 frame want a Fuel frame the frame is going for $300 or best offer e-mail me. In great shape allways cleaned after a ride.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback

Purchased At:   Gator Cycle in Gainesville

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500 (destroyed to peices)

Bike Setup:   RaceFace Cranks, Thomson stem and seat post, cross roc rims and avid 7 brakes.

Submitted by Travis from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Strengths:    Great bike for the price. The components are strong and reliable. The light weight makes it a dream on climbs, and the light rims make it roll fast on hardpack. The fork is good and stiff, and can soak up decent size hits.

Weaknesses:    The tires suck. I used them for one ride and got barely andy traction up hill. I swaped them out for a couple of panaracers that work great though. A little harsh on rocky downhills.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money. I was going to get a full sus. bike but decided to go for this cus it had better compenents. The only thing to change if you buy it is the tires. They roll slow and get no traction. If you want to get into racing or just want a good bike for all around use go for this. If you don't mind feeling some bumps on the way down the mountain, this bike can get you to the top.

Similar Products Used:   KHS Alite, Shcwinn Moab, Trek STP 300

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new pedals and tires.

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Nagoya, Japan

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, strong, good mix of components

Weaknesses:    Bent the back rim (Bontrager Select)by simply launching off a curb riding with Specialised Fatboys

Bottom Line:
Rode about 1,000 km on this with no problems except for the rear rim. Bikes light weight makes climbing less of a chore - especially with cleats. Swapped the stock Bont AC Jones tyres for Spec. Fatboys due to prolonged road use. Really improved the dynamics of the bike - but now have a harder ride. Recommended buy.

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   Specialized Milan saddle, Spec. Fatboys, rest stock.

Submitted by Carcassone a Cross Country Rider from Littleton

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, solid components, great fork, race ready.

Weaknesses:    Tires, tires, tires. Many bonty ACX tires horrible.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this: for 1k I have a great ride. The bike handles well and the lack of weight makes climbing a dream. My only complaint is that the ACX bonty rear tires (OEM) on are used, clearly a tactic to advertise a lower weither bike since the tires are a mere 500g each. After 2 tire induced crashes (one of which cracked my helmet) I took a friends advice and put on a conti ProTection tire. It's changed the bikes handles beyond what i imagined, now i just need to change out the rear ACX.

All in all I have no complaints with the bike. the climbs are true and the downhills can be bumpy but hey it's a hardtail. If you buy this bike you won't be disappointed, just do yourself a favor and replace the tires first, once that's done you're in for a treat.

Ride well and take the drops with some speed.

Favorite Trail:   Hard to choose

Purchased At:   Bicylce Village

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6700; Specialezed rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Stock except for tire change

Submitted by brad nicholson a Racer from fayetteville, nc

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Strengths:    Lighter is better! Having ridden this bike all over creation, in Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and North Carolina and soon to be riding it in Germany I have few bad things to say. Stiff on the climbs and suple on speedy descents. Have seen some reviewers comment on the saddle, i have no issues with the saddle; much improved over my road saddle which sees as many cheek days a year as my mtn bike. the components are good but again the pedals could be upgraded as could the front derailleur. Fork is soft but stiff enough for most xc riding.

Weaknesses:    Two obvious changes i made:
Tire suck. The Bonty stock tires are too rounded in my opinion and the rear has problems with positive traction on steep wet climbs. I changed to Panaracers and it was much m uch better and actually could feel a big difference on the climbs both seated and standing. Also went with a narrower tire on the rear.
I have had some issues with the dropout derailleur hanger in the reat. I have bent two of them in minor crashes.

Bottom Line:
great light racer for the cash. also works well towing my son's trek trailer.

Favorite Trail:   forester trail, colorado

Purchased At:   Terry's Bikes, Lawton OK

Similar Products Used:   Trek, GT, Klein Mtn Bikes

Bike Setup:   stock except for panaracer tires

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI , USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Strengths:    This thing is light as hell. The frame rocks and it is possible to upgrade the drivetrain. I was planning on using this as my primary bike (for racing and all around use) until I found an old OCLV Carbon bike. No complaints about this one. Fast on climbs, handles extremely well. A lot more fun to put the bike to its limits and putting me to mine as well. Oh, and the paint job is cool looking. Have seen other bikers checking out mine while it was on top of my car.

Weaknesses:    Maybe XT drivetrain throughout would be nice instead of having to upgrade. I'd rather pay the extra dough up front and not have to add on later. But, the stock set up was light years ahead of my 4300 (although my frame of reference may be skewed obviously).

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I wanted something to be able to use regularly and race as well. Couldn't beat this. Would've met my needs and more until I saw a sweet deal on an OCLV carbon Trek that I bought and will upgrade. Hard to believe that I am going to have a second bike that cost me over a grand. That is the way cycling goes, I guess. This bike is definitely worth the investment. You won't be disappointed until you see how awesome this bike handles and then begin to get a little curious whether the OCLV is as great as you've heard. Then, you will have to find out how to afford that as well.

Favorite Trail:   camrock-3

Similar Products Used:   Old Gary Fisher Zebrano, Trek 4300 (old bike-sold to friend after buying this one)

Bike Setup:   Stock with the following upgrades: easton carbon riser bar, time Atac pedals, added an XT front deraileur, and WTB dual compound grips

Submitted by Aaron Ament a Racer from Greendale , WI USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Strengths:    ZR 9000 frame is exceptionally light for a $1000 bike. Quality Shimano components.Crisp handling and due to race geometry. The price.

Weaknesses:    Shimano 515 clipless pedals are found on the Trek 6700 also. The 8000 is a higher end bike compared to the 6700, so the pedals should be upgraded too. Rear wheel had a slight wobble after a few rides. LBS mech. tightend up the bearings. Bontrager Saddle is a brick. Hopefully will soften up as it breaks in.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the money. For a grand you will have a bike that is race ready. I had the mechanic weigh my bike and it came in at 23.5lbs. It climbs like a jet fighter, and corners like it's on rails. The only real drwa back that I have found so far is the Saddle, I am used to a touring saddle so it will probably take a little getting used to. If you are a beginning to intermediate racer looking for a great bike at a very reasonable price. This is it.

Favorite Trail:   Crystal Ridge