Trek 4900 2003 Hardtail

4.17/5 (69 Reviews)

Submitted by Gavin Turner a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Fl

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Very strong frame. ergo's is great. Great gear ratio's,
can hit 28 mph or use for trails.

Weaknesses:    haven't found any

Bottom Line:
I use this bike primarily for road/street use. Have over 4K

miles on it. Great for training for the road bike i just

bought. Used it for less than 1 month on trails...wasn't

my cup of tea but it performed without problems. Great

for urban or trail riding.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   from friend

Bike Setup:   put fenders on it from Nashbar and have a Delta bag over rear
tire for tools, security chain, etc.

Submitted by nondairybubonic a Weekend Warrior from st joe

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2009

Strengths:    all around built tough

Weaknesses:    pedals,tires rims

Bottom Line:
bike is a tank its stood up to some hardcore riding no real problems when i upgrade im keeping this also no reason to get rid of a good bike

Favorite Trail:   andrews

Purchased At:   cycle and fitness

Bike Setup:   all stock except kenda nevegals and aftermarket platform pedals

Submitted by soot a Weekend Warrior from Marquette, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    Frame strength is great. This bike fell off the bake of my car at 65mph. The only damage was a bent seat post.

Weaknesses:    It depends on your riding preference. I bought this bike for occasional cross country rides, some single tracks, and paved paths. This was a great bike for an all around mountain bike, but now I'm riding more extreme single tracks and reached the pinnacle of this bikes use.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great beginner bike and I've spent the last two summers riding this bike hard and hadn't had any problems except regular wear.

If you want a good all around bike without breaking the bank. This is the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Pioneer Loop Marquette Mtn

Submitted by Billy a Racer from Brockton, MA USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    Gets me from point A to point B.

Weaknesses:    Weight, bottom bracket, brakes, shifters, stiffness.

Bottom Line:
Weight was and still is my main issue. I mostly use mountain bikes for city commuting. The reason I prefer mountain bikes is because road bikes cause a lot of neck strain paying attention to traffic. City travel does require you make a few adjustments such as replace the fatties with some hybrid tires. Even after doing that this bike was just too heavy. It's probably 35 lbs or more. Speed is your friend in traffic. This bike is best suited for downhill mountain biking. It reminds me of an old Huffy I used to have. Bad on the knees.

Previous to this purchase I owned a GT Pantera(it was stolen). Wow night and day. Both were about the same price. They were not built the same though. The Pantera was light and electric in traffic. I never hesitated to push it. The Trek is sluggish and makes wide turns.

Because of the weight and my riding styling, combined with inferior parts the bike is starting to really fall apart. I expect the bottom bracket to grind up soon.

It's almost 5 years old now. That's about $0.34 a day. I guess that's not bad...

Favorite Trail:   DW Fields' Park

Purchased At:   Bike Express

Similar Products Used:   Huffy

Bike Setup:   2003 specs, whatever they are. No disc brakes.

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame; great climbing geometry; disc brakes; Deore LX components

Weaknesses:    Heavy hardtail at 33.4lbs; J1 fork tops-out easily + heavy; weak Tektro brake levers; BB and crankset made noises

Bottom Line:
Great for learning to ride mtn bikes. Climbs great, rolls smoothly and can take a trail beating, too. As your skills improve......you will eventually want something lighter, and more responsive. Forget about upgrading the components-the(2006) Kinesis-made frame of the 4900 is so heavy....you are better off buying a new bike. Just outgrow it, and then pass it on to another newcomer. This bike will at LEAST ignite your passion for this sport. A Wal-Mart, or Target bike will NEVER come close to doing that!!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24hrs/Adrenalin Course)

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo; Giant Anthem

Bike Setup:   100% stock

Submitted by Deal a Cross Country Rider from Key West, Florida, United States

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    I took delivery of my Trek 4900 in April 2006 ( a rare 24" frame ) While the bike is not feather light, ( though how many mountain rigs really are? ) It's as light as it needs to be, and provides a solid feel. The "Alfa Aluminum" frame is top rate, and well worth building onto.

The 6" Shimano front and rear disc brakes, while often noisy in wet or cold weather, are admirably strong and responsive after being worn in.

Among the bike's best points is the Shimano Deore LX rear deraileur - one of the reasons I chose the 4900. It's pretty high grade for the cost of the bike, and performs smoothly and drama free most of the time.

The Rock Shocks J1 (Judy) front fork doesn't offer a great deal of stiffness, even in it's strongest setting. But it does go about it's business very quietly, and has been zero maintenance.

Weaknesses:    The 4900's biggest fault would have to be it's Shimano Acera front deraileur. Falls out of tune easily and becomes rather clunky. Best used as little as possible. Being an urban rider primarely, I set the chain on the big ring and keep it there. ( this is where the good Deore LX out back comes in handy.

The stock pedals began to creak early on which I had replaced two times under warranty. With Bontrager pedals the first time - which had the same problem, and then to a set of MTB's which are good enough, but still creak and crackle under heavy acceleration from time to time. Bottom line, just switch out the stock pedals for higher end ones.

Bottom Line:
The Trek 4900 is a good sturdy rig, fit for daily use. I would not quite consider the bike "entry level" because it's performance and content are considerably better than that. I've ridden it pretty hard with no major failure, so it will surely stand up to anything a casual trail rider could throw at it. The bike will get up and go too if you've got the legs for it.

Overall, the Trek 4900 is a rugged and handsome looking bike with it's classy paint schemes, and no nonsense frame design. Certainly worth every bit of $650.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop, Key West

Similar Products Used:   2004 Trek 4300 - disc brakes and a better front fork are the main advantages of the 4900 over the 43.

Bike Setup:   Stock everything, except for MTB pedals and MTB all season tire on the rear to cut rolling resistance on pavement. Still riding on original Bontrager Jones in front.

Bontrager Select post and saddle jacked up high so I can stretch out my legs ( I'm 6'6" ) and Tektro brake levers tuned for very little travel.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Tustin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2006

Strengths:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I'm guessing that at this point few people will be reading reviews on an almost 4 year old bike, but here goes.... I have put over 2000 miles on this bike, traversing some of the best singletrack in Orange County, CA, and it is still going strong. My original intent was to purchase an entry level bike to see if I enjoyed mountain biking. Little did I realize that it was to become an addiction.

I have replaced the Tires, brake pads, chain, and cables, all of which I consider normal wear items. The seat broke last week. All other components are original and still work perfectly. Even the rims are pretty straight and haven't needed to be trued.

The paint has very few scratches in it and looks brand new when I actually clean it.

Now that I have experience with biking, I definitely recommend replacing the stock tires if you are going to ride dirt trails. They have no grip and are suited for pavement. Clipless pedals were my second upgrade, which allowed me to pedal up most hills that were challenging. The front suspension is virtually non-existant. It moves, but is horrible when compared to the shocks on higher end bikes.

At this point I'm in the market for a new bike am planning on going with a full suspension Trek EX8. I just get so beat up on the longer rides with a hardtail that it will be nice to have a bit more cushioning. Now I can honestly say that my 4900 is holding me back from being a better rider, but it definitely served it's purpose.

I would recommend this bike to everyone in the market for an entry-level bike.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan, OC/California

Purchased At:   Santiago Cycling

Bike Setup:   Shimano Clipless Pedals, V-Brakes

Submitted by Mathieu a Cross Country Rider from Laarne, Belguim

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    it's a very strong and light bike, with this bike i've got my wheelie record: 3km..
A standard totally deore LX bike, but now a xtr

Bottom Line:

Favorite Trail:   downhill, bmx jumps, mud

Purchased At:   sport bikes wetteren

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Northfield

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2005

Strengths:    -Light frame (for an entry level bike) and is strong
-3" trail (for a 21.5" frame, pretty good)
-Good power transfer to rear wheel

Weaknesses:    -COMPONENTS. Front der is pretty sad (Shimano Alivio), rear der is decent but could be better.
-Promax v-brakes are cheap
-Seat post: too much play and it's wicked heavy
-24 speeds: I've often wished I had 29.

Bottom Line:
I got mine out of season, so I got a great discount on it- MSRP is around $600.

For the money, it's a great bike. The frame is worth building off of.

I recommend at least upgrading the pedals and brakes, especially if you ride XC a lot.

If you're looking for a good bike to make tracks every now-and-then, this is bike is good stock. However, if you ride often, especially XC, you're going to have to change some of the components out.
Keep in mind, this bike is aluminum- it's very rigid, it's not designed to take big hits (as in downhill riding for instance).

Value- 5: it's a good start
Overall- 4: components could be way better

Favorite Trail:   Sweet Air (in MD)

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Connection (in MD)

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820, random other bikes

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, Marzocchi MX Pro fork, Avid Single Digit7 v-brakes, Shimano M520 clipless pedals, new der and crank coming soon (SRAM).

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Modesto CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2005

Strengths:    It only cost me 350 (new old stock) and was the last year you could get a 17.5 frame (my perfect size)
Its been a decent bike.. Frame is well put together.. Great for freeride..

Weaknesses:    Fork is squishy at its hardest setting.. components set is pretty cheazy..

Bottom Line:
Its a good entry level bike.. Nothing for the extreme or hardcore freeride tho.. If you just like to cruize or hit the trails.. great ride..

but

After riding my Klein Pulse comp that I modded the crap out of from 1997 to 2003 (stolen).. Ive hunted and found another Klein Pulse comp a few weeks ago to build up on and the 4900's goin on blocks.. :) Im using what I can from it and ebaying off the frame.. Its a red/silver 17.5 with less than 10 hours on it TOPS! Very clean and hardly any scratches on it.. If interested.. make offer PentastarTurbo@aol.com

thanks
*Chris

Favorite Trail:   The snail trail below your moms patch

Purchased At:   Robbys Cycelery in Stockton CA

Similar Products Used:   1996 Trek 820 w/rock shox mag 21 fork

Bike Setup:   Chris King classic hubs, Mavic ceramic wheels, cool stop triple compound ceramic pads, salsa flip offs and the rest is bone stock..

Submitted by Dave Deplaris a Weekend Warrior from Oak Lawn, IL USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2005

Strengths:    Takes some major abuse. I ride it for everything minus downhill. Shifts nicely, the acx tires grip superbly. still have them on, though another week and its time to replace them. I use the bike as an everyday commuter at school and ride all weekend long on the trails.

Weaknesses:    Stiff... For city riding, it sucks. The turning and handling lack...

Bottom Line:
As an entry level bike, this is a great buy for the money. THe Pilot c shock could be something with more travel... and the turning could be a bit better, but over all it is a great bike for the money. For anyone looking to start out, this is your choice.

Favorite Trail:   Maple Lake

Purchased At:   Orland Park Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguna, Specialized Rockhopper, Soon a trek bruiser with plenty of beautiful parts

Bike Setup:   In the city i ride with all of the original parts, minus grips, now have lock on grips. on order are avid mechical brakes with a set of mavic wheels on shimano xt hubs and a race face crank. A new set of shirters, and i'll be happy for now.

Submitted by Lee Hastings a Weekend Warrior from Lexington, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2005

Strengths:    handling, front suspention travel, brake modulation, unstoppability (if that is a word), front derailler, ACX tires (which i replaced), bike is great for technical rides

Weaknesses:    dependabilty, rear derailler

Bottom Line:
In june, i upgrader my 4300 to the 2004 4900. I really do love this bike. It handles wonderifully and is awsome for almost all conditions. The ACX tires are super grippy, but wear fast. I replaced them w/ Big Kahunah tires which are a front and rear specific tire. They work great in snow and mud. I love this bike, however, I have had a TON of problems with it. It is in the shop once a week for varios problems; chain broke twice, squeeking from front hub, breaks are constantly out of adjustment, bearings in handlebars are shot, problems w/ rear derailler, suspention fork is loose (still haven't figured that out), cables have broken several times, and a few other times too. I would not recomend this bike to someone who rides only ocationally because of the depedability, but for someone who rides all the time (like me), and needs a high performance bike (and doesn't mind if it is in the shop alot) i would recomend it. Also, my front derailler is awsome, i love the feel and have never had a problem, but it is the rear one that is always giving me problems.

Purchased At:   Lexington Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300 (awsome bike)

Bike Setup:   discs, front and rear lights, water bottle, pump, speedo, and Big Kahunah tires

Submitted by Merlin Ash a Weekend Warrior from York, Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Strengths:    Fast, Stiff, light, strong great XC trail bike

Weaknesses:    Rubbish for dirt Jumping (Surprisingly), Long stem + Long top tube makes it a little difficult to control sometimes. Original tyres wear down quick.

Bottom Line:
This is great alround trail bike for blasting round hardcore single track, but for streat riding, hardcore free riding and Dirt Jumping its just not strong or maneuverable enough. Which I suppose is obvoius now but I didn't realise when I got it 9 months ago. For any fun loving hardcore XC rider this is the beast for you but if you want to try your hands at dirt jumping and free riding you should look els where, at a Bruiser for instance.

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest

Purchased At:   York Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4000, 4300, 4500, Bruiser. Scott YZ0. Orange Patriot. Elan Slyer. Giant Acid

Bike Setup:   Deore/LX front + Rear Mechs, Marzocchi MX comps(Beautiful),WTB Motoraptors 2.2 Kevlar

Submitted by Erik a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, De

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Strengths:    Strong rear derailure, low cost, nice starter MTB.

Weaknesses:    front derailure. constantly needs to be adjusted. The Judy C is a nice fork but the preload adjuster broke after a few uses (I would suggest you find where its best for you and never move it again...) It should be made of a stronger plastic or metal.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level bike for the money, I bought it to see if I liked being offroad. I'm hooked! Almost 2 years of care free operation, aside from the normal tune ups. Its been through all of the "learning" falls with minimal damage (truing rims and adjusting derailures). If you like the frame it is set up to be upgraded with disk brakes. If you already know you are going to spend lots of time on the bike, invest in a bike with better components because you will outride this one. I am looking to upgrade shifters, go to full suspension, and disk brakes on the next bike.

Purchased At:   Bikeline