Trek 4500 2003 Hardtail

4.1/5 (62 Reviews)

Submitted by Airtejas a Weekend Warrior from Tyler, Texas

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    Tough. I ride my 4500 very hard and I weigh 260 pounds. I have never broken any component on the bike. My rides consist primarily of 6-10 miles of fairly rough single track trails. A great bargain.

Weaknesses:    The shocks are a bit spongy now and the bike shops are telling me there is no way to firm them up.

Bottom Line:
This has been a great mtb for me and I will keep it as a spare when I upgrade to 29er later this year.

Favorite Trail:   Faulkner Park

Purchased At:   Simpsons Sports Tyle

Submitted by Gee MacB a Downhiller from Glasgow

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    I usually ride downhill, however i bought the Trek 4500 frame to build up to a trail/cross country MTB. i paid 100 GBP for the frame however have spend a further £500 building it and it is the best hardtail i have ever riden. the frame is super light and with a good set of forks it rides really smooth.

Weaknesses:    there are few weaknesse, however i found it hard to find a seatpost to fit the frame it has a very wide diameter however www.chainreactioncycles.com sell a wide range of seatposts which fit.

Bottom Line:
The trek 4500 frame is a perfect bike for intermediate to experienced riders as it is super light 2kg and is strong and robust. although i have only owned the bike for three months i will not be upgrading anytime soon and would recommend the frame to anyone who is interested in beggining MTB or is already an experienced rider.

Favorite Trail:   The World

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardrock, rockhopper, trek 3500

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox recon forms 100ml, hope mini disc brakes, azonic stem, body comfort saddle, allex rims, shimano shifters, michelan xc dry tyres, shimano XT hubs, Club Roost sport seatpost, Race Fack xc Bars, Club Roost bar ends...

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, Ky, USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    Looks great! Shifts well. Strong Frame.

Weaknesses:    The seat is hard as a rock, forks are a little soft but not too bad.

Bottom Line:
For a beginner like myself this bike is better than I could have imagined. Rides great and looks great. Everyone who has seen it was impressed by the looks, even my friends who aren't riders. I weigh 205 at 5'6" and this bike holds up well. The forks are just a bit soft like other people have stated but not bad enough for me to bottom them out, and I have tried.

The seat is really the only bad thing I can say about this bike. It feels soft when you push on it with your fingers but it feels like riding on a piece rock when you are riding. This can be simply remedied though with a slip on gel cover or just replacing the seat.

For beginners like me this is a great bike and is worth the money. Professionals will need to go to a higher level bike.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt road and trails behind my house

Purchased At:   Nat's Outdoor Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   None really. Only WalMart bikes before this one.

Submitted by Miles a Weekend Warrior from Camino, CA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Great bike for the price. As most have said, this is an entry-level mountain bike with lower-end Shimano drivetrain components. Beautiful paint (silver with Trek red).

Weaknesses:    This model did not come with disk brakes this year ('02) and retrofitting is a very costly alternative -- $300+ for new wheels plus disc brakes/levers/cables.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to see if I would like mountain bike riding. It has been an ideal bike for the type of riding I do off road. Solid frame and components a level above big box stores. Recommend it highly -- good value for the the cost.

Purchased At:   Placerville Bike Ship

Submitted by Brock a Weekend Warrior from Nowhere, VT

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    Fairly light, bars, and stem

Weaknesses:    Terrible cranks, fork, seat, and the grips are uncomfortably thick. Leads to discomfort after a long day at the local dirt course.

Bottom Line:
Good beginner bike for the price. Don't plan on riding in under 40 degree weather or you'll be riding with a rigid fork. All around good bike. All i can say is change the seat, fork, grips, and cranks if you jump at all. For those who ride the easier trails this is the bike for you.

Purchased At:   Earle's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock accept for seat and cranks.

Submitted by Nobody Isperfect from Montreal

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap...

Weaknesses:    Still looking... maybe the handlebar is OK...

Bottom Line:
I'm writing this review since I just bought a new frame an no parts are left at ALL from the original setup exept for the handlebar and rear derailleur. So I paid 400$ for a derailleur and handlebar. Not my greatest deal...

The frame is a crap (what kind of aluminum do they use to make a frame rigid where it's painfull and flexible everywhere it would be usefull ?) The fork is ... well its a cheap entry level suspension fork ... and that's the worst thing a susp fork can be. I had both wheels changed because the rims where defective but it took almost a year of discussioon with Trek and the retail store. In the meantime I had to buy another set... what else... OK to conclude if you want a bike... get a bike. But don't buy this 4500 thing since... it's not a bike...

Favorite Trail:   downtown rush hour

Purchased At:   La cordée

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rockhopper, Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   My review is about the original setup

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    Good starter bike to get into serious mtb riding with. Beats any department store bike hands down. Far more reliable. Disk brakes are nice in wet or mud and modulate better than v-brakes.

Weaknesses:    The stem is too high which results in climbing wheelies, Go clipless and chuck the flat pedals. The saddle is hideous and should be sold as a birth control device, get a Selle Italia. Brakes are nice, but I want more power. The whole bike is a bit heavy and the fork seems to blow more than usual when it's cold out.

Bottom Line:
The last year has been fun, I have abused the bike with several cross-country enduro races, and even used it for a cyclo-cross race! (yes, it is really heavy to carry when hopping over steeplechases!). The point being, that it can do most things and you'll still have a grin on your face. I agree that the fork blows, but again, it gives you an excuse to upgrade, which is half the fun. I'll likely upgrade the fork and maybe the derailleurs over the next year, then get something like a Giant Anthem to get really serious about the racing thing.
I think the 4500 is a great place to start, and it certainly has helped me get totally hooked on riding. I would recommend it as being tough and fun.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso Summit

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Oakville

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock Pro, Gary Fisher Marlin, Trek 4300.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, Panaracer Fire 2.1's, Selle Italia saddel, Ritchy 100mm 6 deg stem, Replacement front wave rotor after scoring the stock one. Norco pads, Deore crankset, Crankbrothers Candy C pedals.

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from Washington

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2005

Strengths:    well first of i think the bike has great breaks for the price, the frame is nice and light and is easy to upgrade the parts. The bike is great for the money even though i did by it at a pawn shop for $150 i would have got it at a bike shop.

Weaknesses:    first of all the seat sucks!. Also the derailuer is always messing up on me and i always have to adujust it.

Bottom Line:
Great starter bike for crosscountry or mountain biking. I love it! just need to get a new seat and derailluers

Favorite Trail:   tiger mountain

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   specialized hard rock

Bike Setup:   stock except the rims which i have no clue what kind they are since the stickers fell off.

Submitted by Erik A a Weekend Warrior from Great Mills, MD

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Strengths:    I love the bike. I do not think it's heavy. I do not have 5 g's to buy super light.

Weaknesses:    I am not a hardcore bike guy, but I do not like the forks. Judy TT. The grips will not stay on either.

Bottom Line:
This bike is perfect for me. Mostly weekend rides and short rides during the week. I do have to work. IF you live in Jacksonville, BUY YOUR NEXT BIKE AT CHAMPION CYCLE IN JACKSONVILLE BEACH.

Favorite Trail:   St. Mary's County parks

Purchased At:   Champion Cycle, Jax Beach FL

Similar Products Used:   GT, Cannondale etc

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Grand Island, NY

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2005

Strengths:    The frame and components are very durable for an entry level like and have withstood 12,000 miles of mostly road riding and some trails with only three new tires and two new gear shifters. Handling on road is stable at speed and instills a good level of confidence around corners. The ride on smoother roads is relatively comfortable but ruts and off road riding can hurt a little. The gears are very well suited to the bike, are very closely spaced and are suitable for pedalling in any situation. The extra low gears are sensational for off road hills and make short work of any light to medium duty trail.

Weaknesses:    The frame is still very heavy, making it hard to get much in the way of speed on the road. I average about 16 mph on the road, but because of the weight and the rolling resistence on the tires, it is very hard to achieve that number. The brakes have loosened over time and do not stop very well anymore. The handlebar grips do not stay on at all and every time I put them back on, they slip off within the day. The gear sprokets have worn down to the point where first gear is unusable.

Bottom Line:
A good entry level mountain bike for those who are interested in riding on light and mediun trails as well as riding on the road provided you don't have to go particularly fast. It is not a good choice for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot for a like to ride on the road (Like I did). For riding on the road, save another $150 and get an entry-level Schwinn Fastback for about $550.

Purchased At:   Bert's Bike Shop in Buffalo, NY

Similar Products Used:   Tested a Schwinn Mesa, Raleigh M60 and Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   Completely stock

Submitted by Duncan a Weekend Warrior from Morden

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Strengths:    solid frame, wheels can take a beating, bars and deraillers and tires. it climbs well and the handling is decent enough for single track.

Weaknesses:    the fork is garbage, when the weather gets cold you might as well be riding a rigid. the BB also has a tendency to loosen. the grips are huge and uncomfortable as well.

Bottom Line:
i have abused this bike beyond what it is built to take and it is still solid. It's stood up to 5-6 foot drops to flats, plus over 2000km of trail riding. the fork is a major downside though, it's not good for anything, 70mm of sketchy, unpredictable travel that freezes solid if the temp gets close to zero, which happens 80% of the year in canada. overall a solid bike that will take a beating.

Favorite Trail:   norquay

Similar Products Used:   giant iguana, rocky mountain trailhead, rm fusion.

Bike Setup:   stock, except for new pedals

Submitted by Tim Olson a Weekend Warrior from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2005

Strengths:    Decent mountain bike with a 24 in frame. Trek seems to be the only manufacturer that builds a 24 inch mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    Heavy bike... though I have a rack on the rear.

Bottom Line:
I am 6-6 and find it hard to get a large frame mountain bike. This bike fits me fine with the 24 inch frame. Use it primarily for city communting and light trails. Not good on technical trails. Overall a great bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Bayside Trail

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Trek MultiTrack hybrid.

Bike Setup:   Stock components

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from W. Rutland, VT USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2005

Strengths:    Good Strong frame, I rode it 4-5 days a week last summer at Killington down the gnarliest singletrack and it hasn't failed. I replaced the derrailleurs though, upgraded to Deore.

Weaknesses:    The derrailleurs and cranks definately need an upgrade if you're going to be riding a lot.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome, it's held up ten times better than I thought it would when I first bought it. Compared to some of the higher end bikes I've tried, this one keeps up with all of them, I reccomend this to anyone who rides a lot of aggressive singletrack.

Purchased At:   First Stop Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant VT

Bike Setup:   Stock outside of new derraileurs and cranks.

Submitted by christian alexander a Cross Country Rider from tampa FL

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    the bike is a great all around bike that is very fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses i can see and i have rode over 2000 miles around tampa on it and the only things i have had to change are the brakes and the tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Its a great all around bike!

Purchased At:   dud thames bike shop

Similar Products Used:   no products have even came close.

Bike Setup:   disk brakes and shimano gears

Submitted by Erik Johnson a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2005

Strengths:    Fit, componants for the money, comparison with similarly priced bikes not fair comparison

Weaknesses:    I'd like a tad more grip from the tires. I have a sore butt, but really, that may be because I haven't been in the saddle in quite a while

Bottom Line:
I used to ride a Specialized Hardrock in the late 80's. I haven't ridden a mountain bike in over 10 years. I hurt my knee several months ago and haven't been able to run since then. My doc said a bike would work as a replacement. About 6 hours ago, I bought a 4500. I imediately drove over the Golden Gate bridge and up a short stretch of highway 1 to the Marin Headlands parking lot. I hopped on the bike for the first time and was surprised at how comfortable it was, save the seat. I rode out on the paved trail to the dirt trail to the beach. Got going way too fast on a descent because I'm that way and worked the breaks hard and nothing locked up and I bounced over a big rut and my front wheel caught in another rut and I let the breaks off and hoped momentum would carry the day and it did.. The bike sure is better than my old Hard Rock. This bike is tight and seems quite tough, which it will have to be with me because I am hard on things and being six five, weigh 220. I am very, very pleased with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Marin Headlands