Trek 4300 2003 Hardtail

4.21/5 (73 Reviews)

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Irvine Ca

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, Reliability, decent parts for the price. decent climber, and can take it back down most trails.

Weaknesses:    shifting gets messed up every once in a while, but nothing a tune up won't take care of. front fork is a bit stiff.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level hardtail mountain bike for the price. I've used it for road marathons and single track trail riding. I've had it for 5 years and no significant wear has come about.

Favorite Trail:   Fence live trail/Missing Link

Purchased At:   Jax Long Beach

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by AJP a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    Bike has good controal, great frame, i love the setup so basicly everything

Weaknesses:    one thing, it misshifts every so often, but right now it is extreamly wet so there is alot of mud, any bike would misshift.

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money, look forward to new controals, overall its been great even though ive only had it a short while.

Favorite Trail:   Any ADK trail

Purchased At:   petels and peddles

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by tiib a Weekend Warrior from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, nice frame.
Good geometry.
Comes with good components for the price.
Pretty good drivetrain.

Weaknesses:    Incomfortable seat.
Stock fork. (some InSync on '03 series)
Hard to find an ideal seat/handlebar setup.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good bike for this price, although I still think a new one's a bit expensive. If you find a good second-hand one, you'll get a reliable entry level xc-bike, with a good brand, and good components. Just get a good fork! :)

For me the only negative thing is, that in almost three years I still haven't been able to find the perfect riding position yet. But it's only my personal problem. Anyway it is a good bike, which I recommend for everybody.

Favorite Trail:   Buda Hills, Hungary

Purchased At:   A guy

Similar Products Used:   '06 Univega Alpina HT-Sky (now)

Bike Setup:   Stock, with '03 Marzocchi EXR fork, Trinity stem, Zoggie handlebar.

Submitted by Petar a Downhiller from Bitola

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2009

Strengths:    It's pretty good bike, i bought it for XC riding, but I ride him like DH sometimes like urban bike. I am satisfied from this product

Weaknesses:    the fork is the main weakness on this bike, it has short travel(80mm) and it's low quality. You can change it with Rock Shox Tora. I think it would be superb bike for begginers.

good

Favorite Trail:   pelister

Purchased At:   08.05.2007

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   easy

Submitted by Jethro a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Great frame, Very reliable.

Weaknesses:    The gears have been messed up since I got it, but it's a Minor problem.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike as my main form of transportation. I got it to replace a MT Peak Rally MTB that I got at Toys R us. The difference is like day and night. If you have never ridden a quality bike before, and you are considering getting a new bike this summer, consider this one. I have now been riding this bike for over 5 years and it still rides the same as it did the day I got it. You will never go back to Toys R us for a bike.

Purchased At:   Joe's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   MT Peak Rally MTB

Bike Setup:   Computer (Speedometer), Watter bottle holder.

Submitted by Neil Ostenfeld a Cross Country Rider from Asheville NC

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2007

Strengths:    Price, functionality, quality, frame, handlebars

Weaknesses:    saddle, shifters, pedals, stock fork

Bottom Line:
Great bike for me. don't have a lot of money to spend on biking but I still love it! I have taken this bike pretty much everywhere in bent creek. Places that exceed my abilities. Crashed it a few times. Only thing broke was the reflectors on my pedals. Decided to get a new fork because the RST Gila. wasn't giving me enough travel. it claims to be 80mm travel but most I've gotten is about 30 or 35. and that was when i ran nose first into a rock. bad day. good for climbing, tires aren't bad, want new ones though. Great beginner to intermediate bike. I liked it more than the 4500 model which was about 100 dollars more. Better fit, and if i would say better ride. I like how it looks too. I've taken it off about 2 foot drops it does OK with the Gila, yet to try anything past that with the Marzocchi. Still breaking that fork in.

Favorite Trail:   Mmmmycoct

Purchased At:   Liberty Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek 4300 stock except Marzocchi 2007 MX Pro

Submitted by Evan Lee a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Great Frame! Great handlebars and headset! Wheels are decent, but back one could be replaced after a while.

Weaknesses:    After a while the gears are kinda wacky, chain slaps the frame all the time. recently (three years after buying it) the forks no longer allow me to adjust them, i have had problems with the forks bottoming out.

Bottom Line:
the bicycle is good for someone that wants to ride kinda of all around, but be warned they sold it telling me that i could put disc brakes on this bike. You can put them on there, but for good disc brakes it costs more than it does to get another bike! Shock has limited travel, i have ridden this bike too hard, but the frame is still strong and light, i think the frame is the best part!

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Bike Setup:   Stock besides some lights i put on there, and a ghetto-rigged lizard skin i made from tape and cloth.

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Strengths:    Very fun to ride, light and responsive. Excellent value.

Weaknesses:    It's a beginner bike with a somewhat stiff saddle that I think the majority of its intended market won't care for. The next model down at the shop had a much softer and slightly wider seat.

Bottom Line:
My last personal bike was a Fisher moutain bike bought around 1994, so most of my other experience has been renting and demo'ing bikes, everything from rented stump jumpers to konas to cannondales. That Fisher cost $325 back then and was great for the money at the time. The salesguys called it "a simple around-town bike that can occasionally be used for some trail riding, but nothing serious."

I knew buying a new bike nowadays that things had advanced but I was blown away by how fun this thing is. Very nimble on the peddles, crisp shifting. It just goes where you point it. The extra gears (my fisher had 21) seemed gimmicky, but on long, gradual climbs with my Fisher there were always times when I wanted a gear in between, and this partially solves that problem.

Funny, just like over ten years ago, I got the exact same description for the Trek 4300 from the sales guy, "a simple around-town bike that can occasionally be used for some trail riding, but nothing serious." And I see a lot of these reviewers are saying the same thing. Well, people, let me tell you something, this bike is LIGHT YEARS ahead of that old Fisher.

Knowing what low-end mountain bikes were like over ten years ago, ignore those people saying stuff like "you can't do single track", or whatever. A comparable bike to the Trek 4300 back in '94 would have cost well over a thousand bucks and people were definately banging their bikes up hard on all terrain at that price point back then. The technology has trickled down for us to enjoy - this bike will take just about any beating a beginner can throw at it.

People that think you need to drop $1500 on bike "to ride single-track..." well, they don't know how to ride single-track or their confidence comes from their wallets and not from their riding skill. People have been riding single track just fine well before suspension was the norm or affordable.

Bottom line, don't fall for the myth coming from the credit card commandos. I think an entry level rider could get two or three hard years out of this thing before really needing to upgrade. But on the flipside, if you don't get serious it's still an excellent value. If your ego needs an upgrade and you absolutely must impress the clif bar crowd, then fine, drop another 500 bucks on something else.

My only negative about this bike is the seat. At its price point, the 4300 should come equipped with a slightly wider, softer seat. The moment I mentioned this to the salesguy he launched into this offer to swap the seat for credit on another, as if he was very well-practiced at this talk with customers and saw some potential commision dollars a-coming.

I adjusted the angle of the seat and it took about a week to get used to with daily riding, problem solved. However, for those truly casual riders who just pull the bike out once or twice a month, this is definately not the seat for you. You'll be paying for it for a couple days or more after every ride. Not fun.

Other than the seat, a very solid package and a superb value for entry level riders.

Purchased At:   Missing Link, Berkeley

Similar Products Used:   Fisher

Submitted by Dan Cargioli a Weekend Warrior from Munroe Falls, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2006

Strengths:    Strong frame, smooth ride, off-road capabilities, nice components, and overall looks. This bike looks awesome!!!

Weaknesses:    Stiff seat. I had to tamper with the brakes after taking it out of my car and putting the wheel on.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. The best bike I had before this one was a Huffy and the difference is amazing. You get more for the money out of Trek than any other manufacturer, I shopped around!!! Someday I may upgrade but I think I will keep this bike for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   Any Trail

Purchased At:   Eddy's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Timberline

Bike Setup:   100% Stock

Submitted by RJ a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2006

Strengths:    Light frame
High reliability
Versatile bike
Excellent price

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals don't grip well, saddle can definitely be uncomfortable. I have also had trouble with derailleurs (over time -- no immediate problems). Brakes don't grip well in wet weather

Bottom Line:
Very excellent bike for your money. Performs well in all conditions, and may be used for everything from mid-distance road trekking to moderate downhill runs. Keep it well-lubed and it will be good to you!

Purchased At:   Corvallis Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   21" frame. BMX pedals, better fenders, better pad brakes.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2005

Strengths:    It has a sturdy reliable frame. And really good pad brakes(just like disc brakes)!

Weaknesses:    Fork

Bottom Line:
I think that it is a good bike if you are a beginner at mountain biking and want to get a realiable bike.

Favorite Trail:   Legend Park

Purchased At:   Spin Cycle

Bike Setup:   Nysnc fork(80mm) Shimano V brakes and gears

Submitted by Blake a Weekend Warrior from Cookeville

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2005

Strengths:    Solid Frame to build on

Weaknesses:    Shocks pop at times, front derailer gets jammed at critical times and I have to gear back down

Bottom Line:
No sense in spending a $1000.00 to see if you are going to like the sport. This is a great starter bike and a good price. If you later decide you really enjoy the MTB, then you can upgrade on the frame. It is disc brake equipped.

Purchased At:   Cookeville Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Haro V2

Bike Setup:   2005 stock

Submitted by jason a Downhiller from australia

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Strengths:    I have the 05 model and the frame is the best part of the bike, looks and strength.

Weaknesses:    Pedals came loose fast, the fork makes a clicking sound, the gears dont change that smooth and the wheels seem to be slightly buckled.

Bottom Line:
This bike will suit the average rider, you wont have any problems if you just ride without gettin rough too often. if your a recreational rider this bike is perfect, if your an insane rider only get the bike to practice narly stuff on in order to keep your good bikes from harm. I have this bike to practice tricks on because of its light frame. other bikes i have include the specialized demo 8 pro, stinky deelux and norco scrap. I have used this bike for downhill once and its not a fun ride, this bike is however pretty good at jumping and small drops. this bike can take a lot of abuse, ive taken it to hell and back and its still together. it can take 6ft drops ok if your a good rider. keep in mind i dont care if i break this bike. this thing holds together through abusive riding, for the price its a good bike. just dont go too big on it to stay safe :). but to anyone, i suggest you save a bit more and get a better bike, if you want to go fairly big cheap, get a kona scrap, very cheap jumping bike. i got mine for about 500. dont rely on the 4300 if you are really into mtbing.enjoy.

Similar Products Used:   notin similar.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from East Meadow, New York

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2005

Strengths:    Most of the stock parts are top of the line for the price.

Weaknesses:    The stock pedals could have been better. I actually put a good set of BMX pedals on them.

Bottom Line:
This is my first mountain bake after racing BMX for 10 years. If you're on a tight budget, this is the bike for you. I have been hitting some good trails and this bike can definitely take the moderate to heavy abuse!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bethpage

Purchased At:   Brands Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock, right out of the shop.

Submitted by Alex Ekkel a Cross Country Rider from Vroomshoop ( Ov) NL

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2005

Strengths:    The frame nis strong and very light ( Alpha SL type 2005)
Color: Orange metalic/ Charcoil) Very good for any further upgrades like Deore, and stuff like that...

Weaknesses:    Mayby the saddle, but that is a personel thing also on a 600 dollar bike.....

Bottom Line:
This is my first NEW ATB. For this amount of money, it's avery good bike, shifting these Alivio gears is like you drive a big V 8 chevvy automatic!! Great! of course, if you want a more profesional bike, buy a Trek 8500 or 9.8 Elite!
A'm verry happy with it and looking forward to ride across,
Holland's most ATB routes. ( sorry if some words may contain any spelling errors, i'm Dutch you know......)

Favorite Trail:   Whatever

Purchased At:   budget Bikes (klos tweewielers)

Similar Products Used:   Old ATB's, not worth mention it....

Bike Setup:   Stock bike, just mounted some Bontranger "bull Horns" on the crowbar steer.

Trek 4300, What to move to next?

Hey everyone. First post here. I bought a 2006 Trek 4300 about a month ago and I am loving riding! I installed a roof rack and bike rack ( Rhino Rack and Mountain Trail Carrier) so I'm pretty sold. I spent more on the racks then bike actually, $400 to $260. Anyway, the bike is great, but I am gettin ... Read More »

Trek 4300 Disc Brake

I'm looking to replace the front rotor and brake pads on my 2011 Trek 4300, but I'm not quite sure what to buy. Can anyone offer any advice? It has the stock promax dsk-907 installed however a simple google and amazon search yields no useful result. Thanks!Read More »

2002 Trek 4300 Alpha price...

How much would this bike be worth? [url=http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/3922425864.html]2002 Trek 4300 Alpha - Avid BB7 Disc Brakes[/url] Is my price too high or too low?Read More »

Is a Trek 4300 Disk Ok as an entry level bike for my bro's first MTB ?

Hi guys, need some advise on this bike, my brother wants his first ever MTB and he has his eyes on the 2013 trek 4300 disk with hayes hydro brakes, he loves the green finish lol. Ive never ridden a Trek, never been on one of these models of bikes, i basically want to know if its an ok entry level ... Read More »

Trek 4300 Alpha Questions

I'm pretty new to mtbing and have a few questions about my trek 4300, I was thinking about upgrading my rear derailleur but I'm not certain what kind to put on any suggestions? Also if I were to upgrade the cassette, could I go from an 8 speed to a 9? These might be dumb questions but I'm a nube so ... Read More »