Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp 2003 Hardtail

Submitted by Steve a Racer from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    Very stiff resilient frame with a nice amount of vertical compliance.

Weaknesses:    Stupid, stupid cable routing under the BB shell.

Bottom Line:
Ussually when you build up a 24 lb race hardtail you pretty much assume it's going to kick the heck out of you, but the M4 frame is different. Laterally stiff with a nice amount of vertical compliance this is my usual all-day bike as well as race bike. I find I can typically keep up with the dually boys until things get super rocky or rooty and when the course turns uphill the advantage is completely mine. This bike can climb like nothing else I've ever ridden. Assuming you like hardtails, you will love this frame.

Favorite Trail:   Cox Hill/Jumping Pound

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle (Love those guys)

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Fisher alum hardtails and a bunch of stuff here and there.

Bike Setup:   Built up for racing at about 24 lbs. XT/XTR, Fox F80RLT, Mavic Crossmax Enduro UST's, Hayes Carbon brakes.

Submitted by Nathan Hynes a Cross Country Rider from BOI, NL, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight yet strong, front shock is really smooth, overall great!

Weaknesses:    None that i can see, maybe the cranks, but i got a feeling its just me.

Bottom Line:
Great overall bike, super lightweight compared to my other bike. Smooth, and built for racing, so obviously good for high speeds and acceration. XTR derallieur is awesome! Works like no other derallieur i have ever seen. Overall awesome for anyone who wants to be a better cross country rider/racer.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   red Specialzed M4 frame, fox float 80RL front fork, mavic rims, XTR rear derallieur, Deore LX front derallieur, 6" Deore hydralics,deore shifters, enduro tires.

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Novi, MI

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Strengths:    Light, very responsive. I especially liked the light weight.

Weaknesses:    None that are causing me concern - has been trouble free and a joy to ride. I would have liked a better front derailleur.

Bottom Line:
A great middle/upper bike, I am not dissapointed with my choice. Sure, you can find a better one but it will cost a lot more.

Purchased At:   Town & Country

Similar Products Used:   None - first off road bike as supplement to a road bike.

Bike Setup:   Using it with original components.

Submitted by Mark from Ogden

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2003

Strengths:    Great bike for the buck! Shock is great, but heavy in comparison to what is out there.

Weaknesses:    Needs upgrades from the word go-I am writing this for my girlfriend-I have an s-works that had the same headset-had hers upgraded right away to a chris king, and full xt all around.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike out of the box, but if you are smart, upgrade right away, it is worth it! A few parts on this bike are crap, like the headset, get rid of it, a chris king headset is the answer. I know I had the same one on my bike and had problems since day one. Get to know the guys and the lbs. Get to be their freinds, they will hook you up if you ask them, just be loyal to them, their store needs your business as bad as you need them. 4 chilis for value rating-because I think that specialized could do better for a top of the line hardtail that is non s-works-but overall 5 chilis, because I know that they are dealing with a price cap-I would have spent more money for a bike that was better from the start.

Favorite Trail:   where pavement ends

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Lot's of specialized products, a fat chance, and currently a '01 s-works that has been upgraded beyond belief!

Bike Setup:   Full xt setup, cross-max wheels with tube(less) tires-(thanks daves), ck headset, and soon to be carbon fiber riser bars.

Submitted by Sean a Downhiller from Marlborough

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Strengths:    This Stumpjumper Comp with the M4 frame is the best hardtail out there. Light-tough-and it comes with an awesome setup.

Weaknesses:    none, zero zilch nodda

Bottom Line:
I stinken' love this bike, take it everywhere and International Bike in Newton hooked me up with a great deal. This is my second Specialized bike andthe first one I would still be riding but it got ripped off, this Stumpjumper Comp is mind-boggling with it tricked out frame and drive train. This bike is for anyone who cares what they ride, whether or not you push the boundry of sanity, this bike will hold up!

Favorite Trail:   Hall Mtn. N.H.

Purchased At:   International Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper by specialized

Bike Setup:   Fox Forx with lock-outs and XTR rear, strongarm pro crank.

Submitted by Groovee Modjo a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Strengths:    What a climber! What a sprinter! You simply can't notice twisting of the frame. Because there ain't no dayyam twisting! Fox rocks.
Mine came with custom setup (see below), wich makes me slightly less objective reviwer - I do have standard core though. Like more than GT though...

Weaknesses:    What weaknesses?
Well, one thing maybe, but I think I'll survive with flat instead of a riser...

Bottom Line:
I'm unworthy of this God-of-all-hardtails - it combines kick ass racer, sprinter, climber aaand pimp in one pice - bike's like me, just that I have better hair cut

Favorite Trail:   Incline 190

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Local repairman

Similar Products Used:   Zaskar LE

Bike Setup:   Race Face cranks, full 9.0 SL divetrain, rear Avid, XT up front, Phyton tubeless 2.1, Time carbon and yes, VIP customers (and posers) get to have completely unique gray-blue paintjob

2001 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp m4, buy for 725?

im looking at a 2001 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp that has been used 10-20 times. the seller is asking 725. is this a good price or should i go lower? anyone know the retail of one of these new? it has v brakes on it and im going to upgrade to discs, this will be 250 alone. how is the manitou elite ... Read More »

Stumpjumper M4 comp hartail size

I'm :madman: becouse I don't know witch size I should pick... I'm 5.9 ft and my inside leg is 33 inch. Should I pick 18" or 19"??? Please help me ....Read More »

600 to spend 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Comp or new hardtail

Looking for opinions or advice... Toss up between a 2002 Stumpjumper M4 comp that is in great condition from what I have been told. Other option is to pick up a new hardtail for a similar price.... Thanks..Read More »

2001 Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp

Im looking for a replacement bike and came across the above mentioned bike for sale in my town. Its looks pretty good component wise and condition wise. Anyone think 400 is a good price for the bike? It can be seen here. [url]http://chicago.craigslist.org/bik/67774074.html[/url] Thanks.Read More »

2001 Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp