Schwinn Solution 2003 Hardtail

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by wvanbuskpurdue a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Strengths:    Good frame(aluminum w/ lifetime warranty...I have the Solution FS AL), decently adjustable v-brakes, handles light xc trails well. RST fork was not bad for the money spent, not adjustable, but firm coil fork.

Weaknesses:    Derailleurs take wayyy to much Coaxing into gears, rims can get bent on occasion, lower bracket, rear cassette, saddle, headset/stem...but then again, for the money not bad.

Bottom Line:
I ended getting a killer deal on this bike, Target was not supposed to get it, and nobody there new anything about bikes, so when I offered $120 for it they were happy to get rid of it. Needless to say, the component list is very similar to some entry level Trek's(Trek 3700), minus the customer service(hence the cheaper price). The frame was very solid and I used it for a 3 mile loop several times a week without any issues. Since it is a very basic, entry level bike, parts did need adjusting, wheels need trued, etc... pretty regularly. But I never had anything break on me. For the money, I think this bike has been a great learning experience, as it has allowed me to better understand how the bike works and how to do my own maintenance(which has come in handy on several longer trail rides).
If you are looking for an very basic, entry level hardtail, and enjoy working on your own equipment, than you might want to check it out. I have seen a lot of bikes around this price range($150-250) and none have held up this well by a long shot, like I said the components are very basic, which means no gimmicks(cheap disc brakes, dual suspension...etc), just a good light duty trail bike. If you are looking for something to get into the sport and not break the bank, this bike is definitely worth a look. If you were planning on a bike at a level above the trek 3700 or giant boulder range, than you should probably look somewhere else. I gave value a four because this bike really added to my understanding of bike maintenance and how bikes work, which has paid off since.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever I am riding

Purchased At:   Target

Bike Setup:   RST 191 cl fork(stock), aluminum frame(stock), Shimano Tourney drivetrain(stock), shorter low rise stem, seatpost, bontrager saddle, forte' ATB pedals

Submitted by StinkyAndMuddy smet a Weekend Warrior from Lex Park

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Strengths:    well... I havnt bent anything from the crank forward yet. The tires are great.

Weaknesses:    The SRAM ESP rear derailer binded up into itself today, broke the rear wheel, the derailer, bent the frame, and twisted and snapped the chain.

Bottom Line:
At first... I though this thing wasnt too bad... Just a cheep rear rim and a cr*ppy chain. Well... I got a whole new story today. Im still covered in sweat from my ride today... not a hard off road like I normally do, just some fast laps around the hood. After about 10 laps or so, I started hopping up onto and off a few curbs. Nothing hard, just something like a 8 incher up and down of concrete a few times. I hop up onto a sidewalk from the road and suddenly my rear wheel locks up and I slide to a stop... almost busting my a** into a bus stop. I look down to the rear wheel to see what size stick got me this time, only to find that its not a stick... but my rear derailer jumbled up into my rear wheel, chain twisted and snapped around it. I couldnt even push it home... it was bad. I had to carry this POS about 1/2 a mile. Still I say this bike aint bad for a Person who is just riding on the road... but If thats the case, why woud you be buying a Mountain bike? I think Ill buy a Fuji now. Im 5'9" 170lbs, Im not a big guy... so why is everything rear of the crank breaking?

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   On my previous review

Bike Setup:   On my previous review

Submitted by StinkyAndMuddy a Weekend Warrior from Lex Park MD

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff frame, Everything is easily adjustable, Suprisingly light for a steel frame. Smooth ride for a rigid.

Weaknesses:    Cheeply made rims. Weak chain. The rear derailer has very little tension and causes the chain to bind on the crank sometimes.

Bottom Line:
For only paying 200 bux for this thing its pretty good. I ride it everyday, on and off road. Ive wrecked hard of tricky downhills without damage... but when I jumped it a few times I turned the rear rim into a potato chip. Also, when shifting both the front and the rear at the same time, the chain gets loose and sometimes binds... but I dont do that anymore after breaking the chain. If you dont need suspension and are on a tight budget, this is a pretty good bike for you.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   KHS TC-130, Fuji Discovery 1

Bike Setup:   X-rims rear rim, Radius Brakes, shimano crank derailer, sram rear derailer, shimano grip shifters, and no gd reflectors.

Submitted by Stinky a Weekend Warrior from Pax River Md

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    Very stiff frame. Light weight for a full steel frame. Everything has a quick adjust, quick change, and quick install to make this bike a breeze to adjust. High comfort. Great brakes. Fast easy shifting

Weaknesses:    The rims. I bent the rear rim withing the 1st week of hard riding. Although it was a minor bent, easily trued, I was still dissapointed.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I would deffinately buy a Schwinn again. Anyone looking for a good quality bike that can do both on and offroad well and is on a budget should deffinatly look at this bike. I am glad I bought this bike and I love it.

Purchased At:   Navy Exchange

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose, Huffy, and a few others.

Bike Setup:   Shimano derailers, Sram twist shifters... Just all the stuff that came stock on the bike.

best astrology solution for bring love back 91 8566081000

vashikaran ring in canada 856608100091 8566081000 WORLD FAMOUS BEST INDIAN tripal goldmedlist pandit vishwanath JI INDIA / AMERICA / CANADA / AUSTRALIA / UK / USA INTERNATIONAL SERVICE WITH pt vishwanathji ,58 YRS EXPERIENCE love mantra to get back your lost love.vashikaran specialist to solve love ... Read More »

South Florida Riders: How Often Do you "Refresh" your Tubeless Solution?

Are there any tell tale signs that its dried out other than tires not holding air anymore? I've had the current solution in mine for about 3 months now. Is there a preferred method, such as cleaning the tire and rim of the old solution and remounting before putting new solution in the tire? ThanksRead More »

अमर`शुहाग~+917733035251 love problem solution england

+91_7733035251::AGORI BABA COMPLETE ADVIC ASTROLOGER babaji JI GOLD MEDALIST in fames in allword UK, USA, AUSTRALIA, UAE, DUABI, CANADA, ENGLAND, SINGAPORE, KKHJNEWZEALAND, GERMANY, ITLY, MALASIYA, all international. doka dene walo se love vashikaran specialist baba ji +.YOU ARE VERY SAD IN YOUR LIF ... Read More »

famliy probalm Solution baba ji in hyderabad +91-9950211818

Online gold medalist astrologer ( baba ji 9950211818famous best Great online astrologer (jyotish,tantric, pandit) specialist just dail to call BABA ji9950211818Make one call and get solve your problem with in 12 hours and 24hours that is 101% guaranteedto you from baba ji 9950211818Husband-Wife dist ... Read More »

famliy probalm Solution baba ji in ranchi +91-9950211818