Schwinn Moab DS1 2003 Hardtail

4.29/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from St. Cloud, MN USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2005

Strengths:    Good quality components for the price.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy, but that wouldn't bother me so much if it meant it was durable. Unfortunately, it seems to be anything but. I ride relatively hard XC but nothing extreme. The rear suspension linkage began to get play in it after about 10 miles of trail riding. I now have maybe 50 miles xc on it and basically every pivot point is worn to the point that the bike creaks and twists severely with every pedal stroke. The main problem is that schwinn, under the relatively new ownership of pacific(toy store bikes), saved some money by using small diameter bolts and sleeves which stretch the holes(connection points) in the aluminum frame when under stress. Extremely poor construction design to say the least.

Bottom Line:
In my opinion, this frame is complete garbage unless the only bumps you plan to hit are the occasional pothole. At least schwinn put some decent components on the bike. They'll work nicely on a different frame.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Flanders

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Strengths:    The bike rides great and takes a LOT of abuse. I have had a couple of hard falls on it, one on huge rocks in a mountain and I was the only one in pain.

Weaknesses:    Little heavy; the derailers & shifters are not the best - I replaced mine.. and, as dumb as this sounds, the name Schwinn seems to have a rep for being a low-budge bike.. while I think this bike is not that, I have gotten some ribbing from my riding friends

Bottom Line:
I think this is the perfect start up bike for mountain biking. It will easily take you from beginner to intermediate without a problem. I am surprised that more people are not riding them semi-hardcore, as it takes a lot of abuse and keeps on ticking

Purchased At:   eBay - New

Submitted by Lynn Litchfield a Cross Country Rider from Holliday Utah USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2004

Strengths:    I really like the Iso drive suspnsion. It has a pretty short wheelbase and is very responsive. Very Durable.

Weaknesses:    The Stock paint was lame. I had it repowder-coated.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. It was a great deal for an ultra tough nice riding frame. It handles all the big drops but I also use it for commuting and XC. Over all I am very pleased with the bike. Only fault it was painted like an 80's transformer. It isn't trajic to die doing what you love!

Favorite Trail:   Millcreak Subway

Purchased At:   Richardsbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jeckel

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black, Deore XT Shifters, levers,and derailers. Easton Bar and Stem, Sun Rynolite wheels, and Avid mechanicals disc brakes, and a Race Face crank and B.B.

Submitted by Schwinng a Weekend Warrior from So. Pasadena, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    3.5" rear travel feels more like 4.0" and the Fox rear shock has no external adjustments, I've found it to work very well and has excellent rebound control as set up. The Manitou Six Sport fork works extremely well for a "budget" fork (just keep it lubed thru the microport on each fork leg) and I have no complaints at all about it. Sure, it has no rebound control, but rebound as preset is very good and it does have an external compression adjuster knob atop the left fork leg.

TruVativ crankset has steel rings, but I've never taken much issue with this, and still don't. 8 speeds - wish it was 9. The 32 tooth ring should be switched out with a 34 for us weekend warrior types, and toss the smallest ring to make room for it.

Brakes? Took a little while to break in the Hayes mechanicals, but they work just fine. Although, I think my Avid mechanicals' stopping power is more effortless and effective.

Derailleurs? Cheapos. Work well? Yes. I, however, am about to adjust the little turn-spring on the rear derailleur for increase the chain tension. But, with any bike, don't expect to ride in the granny chainring up front and the smallest cog in the rear and expect not to get chain noise, unless you're riding on the beach path.

Design? Very nice, esp. for a bike at this price point. Paint is excellent, graphics are nice - not flashy, but not boring - nice balance.

Wheelset? Formula disc hubs with Alex rims. Work well? Yes? Heavy? Not too. Looks? Right in there.

Stem is on the short side if you truly ride XC. I switched mine to a Kore with more length and now get a better stretch on climbs.

Front wheel for me doesn't wander on climbs, maybe partly due to my using a longer handlebar stem up front and thereby putting more of my weight on the front of the bike.

Rear susp. on climbs - traction? Rear wheel totally hooked up to the dirt on climbs. Very active rear suspension. I like this trait vs. locking rear susp. out on climbs. Yes, less efficient, but I'm 46 years old and don't train during the week. I like and need comfort, and reap the benefits of full-suspension while I'm in the saddle.

Ride? Balanced, very balanced. You can really feel this on fireroad descents. The front and rear susp. travel and feel is very compatible, and the bike has a kind of sure-footedness to it. I don't have to weight the front end on fast descents, the front wheel doesn't wash out on fast turns, but the bike feels nimble on singletrack as well - turns quickly enough, but isn't unpredictable, doesn't over-steer.

The clipless pedals work just fine for me. Unfortunately, there aren't any visible adjustment indicators, so you'll have to adjust these babies by feel.

Weaknesses:    Yes, change the std. Schwinn seat. It look comfy, but if you're a guy and want to save your prostate, switch over to a Specialized Minkow "Wedge" saddle. NOT having saddle under your prostate feels so good, plus I have 2 such saddles that are lighter than the std. one.

Upgrades? Eh, only if you want to. I'd first wear out the Alivio front and Deore rear derailleurs because they actually work just fine. I have no ghost shifting or mis-shifts because I'm pretty good at dialing in these kinds of adjustments - and they're not hard or anything.

Bottom Line:
This is a very solid little full-suspension bike. It rides very well, is solidly constructed, should give you miles of trouble-free performance.

It's comfortable, its suspension does just what its supposed to do, and it does it well.

There aren't any glaring shortcomings to this bike at all.
However, I read that the 2004 model has one modification to its rear suspension, but why? I don't have any issues with the 2003's design or functionality. Did Schwinn get any returns on this bike due to a design flaw????

Hmmmmmm. Doubt it.

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Purchased At:   A Bicycle Station, Highland Park, CA

Similar Products Used:   I also own a 2001 Schwinn Rocket 88 Disc full-suspension mtn bike.

Bike Setup:   All stock, except the saddle.

Submitted by Erick a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    It's basically a solid bike. I'm 6'6" 225. The bike holds up well to pounding on rock downhill runs. The bike is basically setup well. The rear fox vanilla shock and from manitou six sport fork are great, good crank set and the disc brakes have been good as well.

Weaknesses:    the stock drivetrain sucks. It's alivio up front and deoroe in the rear. Weak. I replaced it with Shimano XT derailleurs. Adjusting the disc brakes takes patience. Once you get them dialed in, they're great.

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level to intermediate choice. You'll have to upgrade the drivetrain, but the rest of the bike is solid. I'm very comfortable with my purchase. Look around on the net. The price range is significant. I initially almost purchased the 2003 model for $699 until I found it for $499. Great value on a year old model.

Favorite Trail:   Penasquitos

Purchased At:   ebikestop.com

Bike Setup:   stock, upgraded derailleurs...

Submitted by summitlt a Downhiller from Brunswick

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Strengths:    Great all around bike, nice parts, MUCH better than dept. store bikes. Suspension, frame, wheelset, brakes

Weaknesses:    Fork isnt the best, sorta wasy to bottom, Friction dampning

Bottom Line:
Great bike, fun to ride, front and rear suspension is great, jumps well, fairly light (31lbs)

Havent bent a rim yet, and come close to losing it on some drops and jumps. Not a downhill bike, but a great beginner bike that you can build up later.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   LL Bean

Similar Products Used:   Anything froma dept store

Bike Setup:   Stock for now

Submitted by Sal a Weekend Warrior from Vineland, New Jersey

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent components for the price paid. Deore XT, Hayes
Hydraulic Disc Brakes, WTB Murano Tires, Ritchey Headset
& handlebars, Tru-Vativ Crankset

Weaknesses:    Rock-Shocks rear shock - Loses pressure on the positive side
Manitou Axel Comp fork

Bottom Line:
Great climbing ability for a full-suspension bike. No bobbing with power strokes. Great response - Little frame
flexing. Similar in design to GT I-Drive - Same parent
company. Would suggest this bike to anyone who is serious
about mountain biking and doesn't want to spend a lot of
money. The only reason for the crankset change is because
I need 175mm cranks instead of the factory 170mm Tru-Vativ

Bike Setup:   Stock except for bottom bracket and crankset - Switched to
Deore XT

Submitted by Bob Howes a Weekend Warrior from Travelers Rest, SC

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Strengths:    Very nimble nice color switched tires to yellow panaracer, very fast shifting. It handles the trails beggining and intermediate without a hitch. (don't know about expert stuff I am a little scared)It also rides great on the road. I also have a Trek Y26 (Heavy tank) and Moab DS 2 bike wins without any question in my mind.I weigh over 200lbs and at 65psi it rides awsome.

Weaknesses:    When the chain is on both small sprockets it chings a bit on the front derailer. The bike shop that I purchased the bike said that this is normal. (why is that???:( )that is the only problem I am having. The seat is so soft you might fall asleep. Not tipical in my mind.Way to much cush.

Bottom Line:
The Bottom line is that for me the $729.00 w/tire change to add yellow wich makes a great combo color with the grey. To me it was money well spent. I would recomend starting on a little better bike to get the full experiance of quality. I have not test driven any other bikes on the trails but the test rides I did take helped me with the end result. A new DS 2. Oh by the way I was riding to work about 2 miles from my house and was crossing an intersection with the green light and a car making a right turn hit me. The bike I was on Trek Y26 took most of the hit and it ended up with a ripped seat and a few paint scratches. The Trek took a punishment and still rides true and other than the seat damage and bruised ribs everthing else was unscaved.So the moral of the story is buy a brand name unlike Wal-Mart mongoose and I feel that your bike more than likely will hold up to some pretty severe punishment.Oh yea one more thing his insurance company bought the bike with lots of leftover change $$

Favorite Trail:   Dupont North Carolina

Purchased At:   Sunrift Adventures

Similar Products Used:   First a Mongoose xr750 then a Trek Y 26

Bike Setup:   All stock except the tires.

Submitted by James Kennedy a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    The bike has great stability at speed and is predictable all around. Suspension travel is good. Climbs steeps well with a manageable front wheel float that can be guided quite well. WTB Mutano Raptor tires are really working well also.

Weaknesses:    Dump the seat and buy an SLR from Selle Italia or another good one that fits you. OEM seats are all soft and comfy around the sales lot but will kill you on longer rides. Some cable chaffe on the shock base for the front deraileur cable. Looks like a re-route job soon.

Bottom Line:
I you just can't quite "plunk-down" the big $ but still want to ride, GO FOR IT! I'm still tryin' to wipe that goofy grin off my face. Good to be back in the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jacks

Purchased At:   Cycle Threapy

Similar Products Used:   Trek 80, Cannondale, Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock except seat. (for now)

Submitted by Rob Adae a Weekend Warrior from Roselle Park, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2003

Strengths:    Handles well
Great set of shocks (front and rear)
Comfortable to ride
Love the disk brakes

Weaknesses:    Shifting is not that smooth
A bit heavy

Bottom Line:
Purchased the bike 2 weeks ago and had to bring it back to the bike shop twice because it wasn’t shifting smooth. On my second visit they had to re-run the rear de-railer cable on the onside of the frame to prevent Ghost Shifting. So far it seems to be shifting better.
***********************************************************
Advise to buyer: Thoroughly test drive the bike before you buy and check the shifting.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale and Giant

Bike Setup:   100% stock

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Toledo, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    Great bike at a great price. While all of the equipment is not necessarily the best on the market, it is VERY good, and is more than enough for the daily rider and weekend abuser (like me). Very comfortable to ride.

Weaknesses:    Not many....I would like a more product specific owners manual that includes a take-apart and other details.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have seen for the money. Very pleased with my purchase!

Submitted by mike carpinelli a Cross Country Rider from charlotte, nc USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    Frame is rigid, excellent suspension, hayes disc brakes are perfect. Can't be the guarantee and the price.

Bottom Line:
I have 5200 miles logged since 1994 and this is my first full suspension bike. Because I am 44 yrs. old, I like the ride position better than the others. Ride Hard and Draw Blood. Mike

Favorite Trail:   Springs Ft. Mill, SC

Purchased At:   Bicycles East

Submitted by Scott Surla a Cross Country Rider from Eveleth, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is very solid. The first ride I knew I was in love with the bike. The disk brakes will literally stop on a dime. They are fast and very responsive. The suspension in the front is long enough to soak up the biggest of bumps. The rear travel sometimes makes it hard to climb up a huge hill. All in all this bike rocks. If you are looking for something to get start on and have the money for it this bike has all of the advancements that you should be looking for. I just started serious Mt. Biking when I bought this bike. NOW GO OUT AND GET ONE!

Weaknesses:    This particular bike to me has a lot of squeeks in it...also the disk brakes get annoying sometimes because they rub a little now and then. It needs nothing except for some rubber where the chain slaps the frame on the bottom swingarm.

Bottom Line:
Good Bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Devils pass

Purchased At:   Mesabi Rec.