Schwinn Mesa 2003 Hardtail

4.29/5 (28 Reviews)

Submitted by Find Shelter Roadies a Cross Country Rider from Clearwater, Florida,USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    The price, Its competitors cant touch it price or what you get. If your a Trail rider its great for xc Although I dont see the front fork taking on huge drops and massive abuse but if your riding this hard you need to invest in a high end bike. Its probably one of the best Entry level bikes availabale, Rapid fire shifter not that handle twist grip crap (specialized had this on their entry level model NO good) This bike is very upgradeable, and the frame is ready for a disc break conversion VERY NICE! For what the bike is its a light bike! You people that go complain about the bike being to heavy give me a break than why did you buy the bike in the first place That should be one of the first things you notice!!

Weaknesses:    None to current! except The original $400.00 price tag which I would have never payed, Maybe with upgarded components etc... But that is not the case.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for a girl who just started riding, its impossible to find a womens off road bike being limited to quality and how it will handle the trails However This is the bike of choice and shes loving it!! My personal bike is a full suspension specialized and If I went back to my roots and had to choose a first bike to learn riding trails etcetc I would have choosen this hands down! The fact you can still upgrade the bike the further you progress yourself, I would change the stock tires if you plan to trail ride but other then that its really a great beginners bike THATS THE BOTTOM LINE!

Favorite Trail:   Alafia State Park- North Creek , Gator back & Roller Coaster

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   N/A just lots of reading bike reviews on mtbr.com!

Bike Setup:   100% stock With a little bit of my love putting it together for our new rider!

Submitted by Equismith a Weekend Warrior from Asheboro, NC

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    Value and dependability

Weaknesses:    Shifters. Rough tires on road surface but makes up for it on the trail. Shifters need some fine tuning.

Bottom Line:
Great for a beginner who doesn't want to lose an arm and a leg for entry into the biking world. You can't go wrong with this bike or Performance Bicycle. The bike was on sale for $259. I added toe clips.

Favorite Trail:   Local Uwharrie Mtns

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Patrol Bike

Bike Setup:   N'Litened Silver Label Custom Drawn and Trail Tuned aluminum Epicenter seatstays & disc mount.
SR/Suntour alloy suspension fork with dual pre-load adjustment
24-speed SRAM SX-4 drivetrain with wide-range cassette & trigger shifters.
Trial Tuned Lock-on Grips and two tone saddle.

Submitted by Sierra a Cross Country Rider from Upper Valley, NH

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    Durable frame

Weaknesses:    All of the components on this bike suck. One real day of riding was sufficient to destroy most of them. This version didn't come with Hayes disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
The frame of this bike is fine. It has all the necessary braze-ons for fenders and racks and considering the up-right riding position it would probably make an okay commuter bike (short trips or "campus-biking"). It came with aggresive WTB tires that aren't suited for commuting. Unfortunately, the low-end shimano components on this bike were not suitable for real mountain biking. The drivetrain was destroyed from half a day of hard riding. I'll probably ditch the whole bike rather than upgrade. Other reviews described this as a light bike, but I'm not impressed. It handles like a tank, which is probably fine for bigger riders. I wouldn't recommend this bike. If you're looking for a commuter bike, buy a touring model. If you're looking for a mountain bike, save your pennies until you can afford something respectable.

Submitted by Sean Manley a Cross Country Rider from Panama City Beach

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2007

Strengths:    Great frame- it's light, stiff and ready for upgrades, SX-5 rear derailluer

Weaknesses:    J1 front fork is a bit soft and mine needed replaced already(blown seals from day one), Front SX4 shifter is junk, I don't think these are common problems though

Bottom Line:
Great value and foundation. The Gold label 'N lightend frame is worth the buy.

Purchased At:   Steve's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT Backwoods, Trek 8000(well, not so similar)

Bike Setup:   Upgarded to an LX front derailluer, Kore Lite handle bar and stem, Shimano M-525 clipless pedals, Fuji saddle, BB-7 Avid 203mm disc brakes, Mavic 223/Deore XT disc wheel set, and a Cateye/Velo computer

Submitted by John Honyer a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee WI U.S.

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2006

Strengths:    I got the cheapest version of the Mesa. The frame is freaking awesome. It is very light and strong. The gears shift almost instantly, with rapid fire shifting. The fork is decent enough given the price with fairly nice shocks. The wheels are good, pretty durable and lightweight. The pedals are toothed steel (I think) with a plastic center. They are toe clip adaptable.

Weaknesses:    The fourth gear on the cassette is a bit clicky on the downshift. I don't if this is just on mine, or all Mesas. The seat is heavy and not suitable for long distance rides, I'd get a lighter one, especially for racing.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I've ever owned. I'm trying to enter some MTB races next summer after a winter of training. I love this bike, I can't believe the quality for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Kenosha Pike Trail

Purchased At:   389

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Hardtail, Schwinn Frontier Sport X, Trel 4300

Bike Setup:   Normal Hardtail MTB

Submitted by Stuart Southgate a Cross Country Rider from Benfleet, Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2006

Strengths:    Great product, after looking at all the options for a new reasonably priced bike I would highly recommend the Mesa GS. Absolutely Brillent bike for the money and I cannot not fqault a single part of the bike excellent for a first bike, Light, strong and a great spec. BUY IT!!!!

Bottom Line:
All I can say is that after looking at all the options there was no choice the Mesa 2006 GS Spec. was the only bike to go for. Les Bikes at Canvey were very supportive and helpful.

Both myself and my girlfirend have this bike in 19" and 17" frame size. Both have no issues, it just great to ride this bike.

Purchased At:   Les Cycles Canvey Is.

Similar Products Used:   Specialize bikes and Giant. They did not come close to the Mesa GS. I would go for the GS over the basic Mesa the spec. is significantly better.

Bike Setup:   Standard set-up slightly softer front than factory set-up

Submitted by BEIST from Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    Good frame, and it comes with a great stock setup. Works for anything; trail, downhill, dirtjumping.

Weaknesses:    The seat is big and in the way. This was the first thing i had switched. The pedals are small and fall apart. If you buy this bike, this is the things you should change.

Bottom Line:
Great deal. If you're learning or don't go to extreme, this is a great bike to go for. Cheap and solid. Also light and easy to handle.

Similar Products Used:   Diamant Extreme 0G and G-force Hake(both where crap.)

Bike Setup:   Rockshox J1 front fork and SRAM SX5 rear derailleur(comes stock with the bike), Tektro front disc brake and Promax rear disc brake.(was added from previous bikes)

Submitted by Luis a Cross Country Rider from Sydney

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2006

Strengths:    Great geometry, light, great truvative crankset, low price (50% managers special)great shimano shifters, v brake, alivio set wonderful overall ride and build quality

Weaknesses:    bouncy manitou 6 forks, no disc brakes but thats just nitpicking...

Bottom Line:
Best MTB for a beginner like me. Overall this bike is well made and has great parts for the price. Absolute value for money! Recommended for weekend warriors and starting MTB afficionados.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountains

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport

Similar Products Used:   none,..my first MTB was a crappy Dunlop bought at Target WTF?!!? broke down in two freaking months, got a refund though

Bike Setup:   Stock Mesa GS

Submitted by Luke a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Strengths:    I have the new 06 model and it is mad. i do downhill trails and it works awesome. mad truativ crankset, wtb seat,its the all time great package

Bottom Line:
Buy it its awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon & Boulder

Submitted by Sam a Racer from Norwich, England

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2005

Strengths:    this frame is strong, light and brilliantly machined. the crank is super sweet and the gears change so smoothly. its good for racing, downhill or trails.

Weaknesses:    hasn't got disc mountable hubs!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Super light, good looking and strong bike !!!! worth the money !!!!

Favorite Trail:   Chicksands

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Raliegh but that was ful suspension, it was twice the price and still doesnt have as good components as the mesa GS does!!!!!

Submitted by Robert Peterson a Weekend Warrior from Dayton, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Strengths:    Great overall product, excellent brakes, derailleur, seat and seat post, chain, frame and so-so pedals

Weaknesses:    The sun tour fork is lower quality than the rest of the bike and the tires don’t do well on tarmac at high speeds

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great bargain for someone who wants to get a little more serious about their mountain biking. I was using an old garage sale Huffy before I came to this one. This bike will allow you to do a lot of the more advanced stuff at a reasonable price, in which you are not sacrificing other traits of a quality bike.
I use this bike for camping trips with my family or boy scouting mountain biking trips. It handles well under both circumstances. (Although, the tires don't like tarmac much at high speeds)
Anyway this bike has made mea much more experienced rider and I'm sure it could do that for a lot more people then me!

If any of you guys need more info email me at: wheeltowheel22@yahoo.com

Favorite Trail:   Makinac, Michigan

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon ($500)

Submitted by jody from australia

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Strengths:    Great frame geometry. Great price.

Weaknesses:    Brake pads. Bottom bracket. Grips.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike for the money. Mind you I got mine for 50% off. Bottom bracket died and the Shimano replacement blew the original away. Nice geometry. I love him.

Submitted by Jeff from Ste-Foy, Qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2004

Strengths:    A lot of bang for the buck, especially at 330$ brand new, Frame is really well made, components are not the greatest but everything work well, i changed the tires as soon as i got it but the Mythos seem great for light cross-country
Excellent wheels except for the cheap Formula hubs.
Good Suntour Mech disk brake, 7front 6rear

Weaknesses:    Fork sucks, mine leak oil since it's new, passed around 2 inches of the 3.5 inches of travel the seal let go some oil, not much but not good. I've got the XL version so finding a fork with 11 inches at least of steer tube is not easy, i think i will forced to have it custom made.
Pedal are caged styled, i got a Wellgo pair, way better this way, but the caged are nice when i go out for a 2-3 hours ride in easy trails.
Front acera derailleur suck, when taking a good drop the chain usually fall on first gear whatever what it was on before, i'm gonna changed that soon.

Bottom Line:
For the price nothing beat it, my friend with the Hucker has been really impressed for the all around value of the bike for the price paid.

If you use it for anything big, change Tires/Pedals/Hubs/Fork.

Great bike for someone who don't have a lot of money right now but want a really great bike that can be easily upgraded, except the XL with it's really long steer tube.

Purchased At:   Ebay