Schwinn Mesa 2003 Hardtail

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Equismith a Weekend Warrior from Asheboro, NC

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    Value and dependability

Weaknesses:    Shifters. Rough tires on road surface but makes up for it on the trail. Shifters need some fine tuning.

Bottom Line:
Great for a beginner who doesn't want to lose an arm and a leg for entry into the biking world. You can't go wrong with this bike or Performance Bicycle. The bike was on sale for $259. I added toe clips.

Favorite Trail:   Local Uwharrie Mtns

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Patrol Bike

Bike Setup:   N'Litened Silver Label Custom Drawn and Trail Tuned aluminum Epicenter seatstays & disc mount.
SR/Suntour alloy suspension fork with dual pre-load adjustment
24-speed SRAM SX-4 drivetrain with wide-range cassette & trigger shifters.
Trial Tuned Lock-on Grips and two tone saddle.

Submitted by Sierra a Cross Country Rider from Upper Valley, NH

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    Durable frame

Weaknesses:    All of the components on this bike suck. One real day of riding was sufficient to destroy most of them. This version didn't come with Hayes disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
The frame of this bike is fine. It has all the necessary braze-ons for fenders and racks and considering the up-right riding position it would probably make an okay commuter bike (short trips or "campus-biking"). It came with aggresive WTB tires that aren't suited for commuting. Unfortunately, the low-end shimano components on this bike were not suitable for real mountain biking. The drivetrain was destroyed from half a day of hard riding. I'll probably ditch the whole bike rather than upgrade. Other reviews described this as a light bike, but I'm not impressed. It handles like a tank, which is probably fine for bigger riders. I wouldn't recommend this bike. If you're looking for a commuter bike, buy a touring model. If you're looking for a mountain bike, save your pennies until you can afford something respectable.

Submitted by John Honyer a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee WI U.S.

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2006

Strengths:    I got the cheapest version of the Mesa. The frame is freaking awesome. It is very light and strong. The gears shift almost instantly, with rapid fire shifting. The fork is decent enough given the price with fairly nice shocks. The wheels are good, pretty durable and lightweight. The pedals are toothed steel (I think) with a plastic center. They are toe clip adaptable.

Weaknesses:    The fourth gear on the cassette is a bit clicky on the downshift. I don't if this is just on mine, or all Mesas. The seat is heavy and not suitable for long distance rides, I'd get a lighter one, especially for racing.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I've ever owned. I'm trying to enter some MTB races next summer after a winter of training. I love this bike, I can't believe the quality for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Kenosha Pike Trail

Purchased At:   389

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Hardtail, Schwinn Frontier Sport X, Trel 4300

Bike Setup:   Normal Hardtail MTB

Submitted by KIeran Jones a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Strengths:    Execelent frame very light and strong hayes disc brakes on stock setup suntour suspension is reasonable

Bottom Line:
I use this bike for mostly cross country but a little bit of dirt jumping and the ocasional small stairset or drop in the street. The bike is very light and feels solid with no rattles or vibrations it is very quite. The hayes disc brakes come stock and are excelent once they have been worn in. The gears are fine but the front deraileur needs to be adjusted well to make sure of short precise changes. The suspension fork is fine once it has been adjusted it has a reasonable amount of travel, it is fine for dirt jumping and drops but could be better with finer bumps on gravel. Overall i think this is an outstanding bike for the price and i am very happy with it.

Bike Setup:   stock which is excelent for cross country.

Submitted by Biker Dude a Racer from Ashland WI USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    Strong Frame Light weight. Good lokin Great For Killer XC trails! And Every Thing Else!

Weaknesses:    Lets see mmmmm..... None

Bottom Line:
I Love This Bike I have put several thousand miles on this bike Last summer. The only repar was my front wheel got a little out of chru after about 1000 miles. This Bike is a Sweet bike for the price.

P.S This Bike Rocks

Favorite Trail:   Muddy Single Track!

Purchased At:   A Bike Shop