Schwinn Mesa GSX 2003 Hardtail

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Robert Peterson a Weekend Warrior from Dayton, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Strengths:    Great overall product, excellent brakes, derailleur, seat and seat post, chain, frame and so-so pedals

Weaknesses:    The sun tour fork is lower quality than the rest of the bike and the tires don’t do well on tarmac at high speeds

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great bargain for someone who wants to get a little more serious about their mountain biking. I was using an old garage sale Huffy before I came to this one. This bike will allow you to do a lot of the more advanced stuff at a reasonable price, in which you are not sacrificing other traits of a quality bike.
I use this bike for camping trips with my family or boy scouting mountain biking trips. It handles well under both circumstances. (Although, the tires don't like tarmac much at high speeds)
Anyway this bike has made mea much more experienced rider and I'm sure it could do that for a lot more people then me!

If any of you guys need more info email me at: wheeltowheel22@yahoo.com

Favorite Trail:   Makinac, Michigan

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon ($500)

Submitted by Jeff from Ste-Foy, Qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2004

Strengths:    A lot of bang for the buck, especially at 330$ brand new, Frame is really well made, components are not the greatest but everything work well, i changed the tires as soon as i got it but the Mythos seem great for light cross-country
Excellent wheels except for the cheap Formula hubs.
Good Suntour Mech disk brake, 7front 6rear

Weaknesses:    Fork sucks, mine leak oil since it's new, passed around 2 inches of the 3.5 inches of travel the seal let go some oil, not much but not good. I've got the XL version so finding a fork with 11 inches at least of steer tube is not easy, i think i will forced to have it custom made.
Pedal are caged styled, i got a Wellgo pair, way better this way, but the caged are nice when i go out for a 2-3 hours ride in easy trails.
Front acera derailleur suck, when taking a good drop the chain usually fall on first gear whatever what it was on before, i'm gonna changed that soon.

Bottom Line:
For the price nothing beat it, my friend with the Hucker has been really impressed for the all around value of the bike for the price paid.

If you use it for anything big, change Tires/Pedals/Hubs/Fork.

Great bike for someone who don't have a lot of money right now but want a really great bike that can be easily upgraded, except the XL with it's really long steer tube.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   2004 Hucker, El Cheapo Canadian tire, some others

Bike Setup:   Pretty stock except for pedals, tires and hubs

Submitted by Robert from Williston, ND

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    good frame, cheep but functional disk breaks, strong frame, awesome wheelset(td17 rims)

Weaknesses:    fork sux, only a 24speed.

Bottom Line:
this frame is pretty strong, so is the wheel set, the fork got a little mangled doin some ubran riding, but i got a bomber and i love it, im realy impressesd with this frame's strength.

Favorite Trail:   fred burr trail, hamilton montana

Similar Products Used:   specialized rock hoppper

Bike Setup:   i added all xt drive train and marozocchi bomber fork

Submitted by Crunch ride a Cross Country Rider from brewster, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Strengths:    Good Frame, good shocks, rock shox i think, i have the older model without the suntours, thats also why i got it for such a good deal, its a 2002 or 03, and the value alone makes this bike well worth it, good components, great for a larger rider like my self (5'10, 195lbs), the 19 inch frame is also really nice.

Weaknesses:    there could be a little more travel on the fork, but other than that, im in love, also, the cages on the pedals need to go, quickly.

Bottom Line:
an awsome bike, and the deal i got on mine just adds to it, i think the msrp for this year was 600, and i got it for three, its awsome, good for trails with small drops, as well as some more terchnical stuff, also, relativley light. te disk brakes on mine are hayes, and all of the other components are name brand as well, buy this bike. looks good rides better.

Favorite Trail:   Southeast Nature Preserve

Purchased At:   Ski Haus

Similar Products Used:   trek 820, specialized rockhopper, both at least 15 years old, certainly older than me

Bike Setup:   stock, new seat thouh, the stock one was too squishy, also, i have the gsd, which has disc brakes

Submitted by Joe Giuseppe a Downhiller from Hamilton On Canada

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Strengths:    Lets put it this way, I weigh 225 and this frame hasn't made a peep so far. I don't hit the trails THAT often anymore I took this frame and overhauled it and it's Trials equipped, I do a lot of free ride and this thing id SOLID, like I said I'm no lightweight so I'm no weight weenie. frame before was a Haro V3 this frams is way stronger, my 19" is just right for my 6'1" white ass too

Weaknesses:    guess I'd have to say the stock rims and seat and forks

Bottom Line:
This hunk of metal has tolerated a year of PUNISHMENT under my fat ass and keeps comming back for more, aside from having to throw a few extra parts on her "schwinnderella" is great lookin and always ready for the ball. I reccomend it to almost any rider, it's comfy, easy to mount and comes pretty cheap for a bike wih Disc and full Deore componants (don't forget thats 800 canadian dollars, so they're prolly like free in the US)

Favorite Trail:   any urban city center

Purchased At:   Scattalon Cycle

Similar Products Used:   GT and Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   took my old gary fisher seat, avid mec. disc on sunditch whitch rims on Tioga "terrafirma" rubber on Deore hubs JudyTT fr.Fork, Deore top to bottom componants, and DMR "V8" red annodized (with grease port) I love these pedals

Submitted by Eddie a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Florida, U.S

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2003

Strengths:    Awesome frame with minimum flex. Great IRC MythosXC tires have potential but fast wear when ridden on the street. Suntour Disc brakes much better for people who are used to rim brakes. And a good all around bike. This is a great bike for intermediate riders who need a decent bike for a good price. I don't recommend it to wieght freaks.

Weaknesses:    Terrible seat. A little on the heavy side. RST Mag TL shock is ok but for racers should be replaced. Seat and Seat post have got to go.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for a great price. It has good power to the ground performance. And it can be abused. Awesome trail bike and for cruising around. But this bike probably good enough for nit pickers.

Favorite Trail:   Oleeta Park

Purchased At:   Schwinn Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by jeff martin from springfield, IL

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Strengths:    Price. If your able to get it on sale by all means snatch it up. the geometry is very tight and agile. The gsx has quality craftsmanship and great performance parts. I'm about 5'7" and i love the geometry. my bike frame is 17" and the center of gravity feels really low due to the downward sloping top bar. my crotch doesn't "hover" the main bar, like some other brands. Avid disc brakes. Manitou comp six adjustable fork. IRC Mythos xc tires are excellent and grab very well in rought conditions.

Weaknesses:    i hated the stem. it was very short and had like a 10 degree lift. You ride very upright. The frame is short and i would urge taller or longer riders to look into a larger frame. I replace the stem with one from Answer that has 0 degree lift and is 120mm long. i felt much more comfortable aftewards. I not to thrilled about the shifters or derailers. they are Shimano Alivios. I think this is the cheapest of the shimano line, but they still do the job well. seat makes my "boys" go numb on long rides. And if your tall you will probably need a longer seat post. my bottom bracket makes wierd noises.

Bottom Line:
I will recommend this bike to every one. It is accomodating to different uses, (I think it was built as a cross between xc riding and trail riding) at least the set up suggests this. If you shop around you can pick this bike op for around $400-450 other wise you may spend a couple hundred more. the Manitou fork is light, solid/durable, and works. I would suggest upgrading the stem and pedals and maybe the seat immediately. If your a total weight weenie. The GSX is a little heavy and maybe not for you, but if you want a bike that is durable and rugged then go for it. I regularly ride trails, xc, street and I commute to work and have found this to be a great multipurpose bike. You absolutely cannot go wrong with this bike. it flex's very little and is very well balanced and agile.

oh yeah, i've tried full suspension bike and the ride is defiantely plush. Granted the GSX is going to be rougher, because it is a rigid frame but the ride is surprisingly smooth (perhaps it is the low geometry.

You can't go wrong. JUST REMEMBER!!!! IF YOU ARE A TALLER RIDER THAN TRY ALL THE DIFFERENT SIZED FRAMES OUT, BECAUSE THIS ONE SEEMS VERY SHORT AND VERY TIGHT.

Favorite Trail:   any thing i can find to ride

Purchased At:   village pedaler

Similar Products Used:   Huffy mountain fire (ha,ha just kidding)

Bike Setup:   Answer stem, Time atac alum pedals, Continental Twister pro tires (for summer/hard pack riding).

Submitted by Bob Rohde a Cross Country Rider from Boulder City, Nv, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    Very nice starting bike for a new person, like myself. took it on some more technical trails, and the limiting factor, was my skill, not the bike.

Weaknesses:    Brakes were testy, on the more downhill portions, but as trail was done in the first 30 days, and the brakes act good now, I assume it was just breaking the brakes in.

Bottom Line:
Good starting bike, the full suspension is $100 more, but this bike handles everything I've thrown at it so far. I cant recomend buying the bike Unless you demo it first. find a shop that lets you try it on dirt. My friend didn't find this bike to suit him, so try it out.

Purchased At:   Bike Stuff

Similar Products Used:   GT

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jason Swartz a Cross Country Rider from Okinawa, Japan

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Good bike for the price. Good Avid Mechanical disc breaks. Can handle the the more extreme trails that you should be riding a full suspension on. I have taken it on intemidiate to extremem trails and have done fine.

Weaknesses:    Front Crankset wears too easily. Bike is still a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a good buy. I don't reccomend it to the weekend warrior, but for someone thinking about getting into mountain biking, it would be a good place to start. It is not too pricey, and can take some abuse.

Favorite Trail:   Mother

Purchased At:   Bicycleblowout.com

Similar Products Used:   GT and Gary Fisher both have similar hard tails.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Eldridge, Iowa, USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable ride. Decent components for the price. Great shop to service.

Weaknesses:    Front shock. Seat is awful. Must replace

Bottom Line:
I got a good deal on my first true mountain bike. Setup was great. I used it almost daily until Daylight Savings Time and as much as possible since. The breaks took time to stop squealing but much better since. This is a good bike to begin on. For the money there weren't many that offered same components and a decent frame.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Bottom

Purchased At:   Jerry and Sparky's

Similar Products Used:   GT

Bike Setup:   Deore components and Suntour disc brakes. Changed to Duke SL front shock.

Schwinn Mesa GSX

I have a Schwinn Mesa GSX.Think its is a 1998 model.All original parts.Can someone help me identify the year?Read More »

First Post, First Bike - 99' Schwinn Mesa GSX

Hey All, New here. First post and all. Just picked up a Schwinn Mesa GSX. I believe it's a 99'. I was lucky to find this like new from the original owner for $145. Only street driven. Probably doing this backwards, but wondering what everything thinks of this bike. It's 21" frame and I am ... Read More »

Schwinn Mesa GSX

Hi, i was given a Schwinn Mesa GSX frame by a friend of mine after he upgraded his ride. The thing is we dont know what frame type it is (eg; HG011, HG012 etc) as I need a rear drop out/hanger and dont know which one to get. Any help greatly appreciated. [IMG]http://i295.photobucket.com/album ... Read More »

'02 Mesa GSX frame weight

Anybody know how much an 02 mesa GSX frame weighs? According to the bathroom scale the bike as a whole weighs around 29 pounds I think.Read More »

Replacing '98 Mesa GSX

After a 4 year hiatus from mountain biking, i started up again. I'm now looking for a replacement. There's nothing wrong, per se, with the current setup, but i was looking to upgrade some of my components (rear derailleur, cassette, etc.) and ive figured that it would be easier to just buy a new bik ... Read More »