Rocky Mountain Stratos 2003 Hardtail

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by anthonybonilla a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    This bike is not only fast, but easy to work on, smooth, i have 20.5 inch frame, a bit large for me (5'8) but does just fine. good componentry for stock. SOLID FRAME

Weaknesses:    wheels blow. mavic something's. built custom for RMB. the brakes are shizzle. avid SD5. eggbeaters are lame.

Bottom Line:
the bike is fast, real fast. nice power transfer, and stiff, sometimes TOO stiff ride. handles like a porsche, looks like a pinto, but does amazing. got the bike to ease my self off from getting hurt all the time. isn't much different. it's not the bike, its how you ride it. :)

Favorite Trail:   StormKing

Purchased At:   Bend Pawn (lol)

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock. specialized fsr xc. as far XC bikes go...

Bike Setup:   woodman bars, kona stem, stock marzocchi's and drivtrain. getting new rims and hydro brakes next week.

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2004

Strengths:    I'm very pleased with the Stratos. This bike is light! It's really fun to climb with and is stable in descent. The Race Face componentry, Mavic/Maxxis setup and XT combination top it all off. Also, I'm pleased with the Marzocchi MX Comp Air, it doesn't leak and is never sloppy. The Avid V-brakes are much better than their XT counterparts.

Weaknesses:    The textured powdercoat likes to keep its scuffmarks.

Bottom Line:
I recommend this Canadian gem to anyone seeking a do-it-all cross country machine!

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Divide

Purchased At:   Ken's

Bike Setup:   Slapped on some Cane Creek Ergo bar ends, eggbeaters and WTB seat/Thomson seatpost.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome overall bike with great components for the price. Raceface bar and stem, XT/LX set up. The white paint job while not very popular looks amazing. Clean or dirty! The Bomber forks soak up a lot of the little things while allowing you to maintain a good pedal stroke.

Weaknesses:    Shimano pedals are very difficult to release from in a bind.

Bottom Line:
A light, awesome handling cross-country bike!

Favorite Trail:   Kelso

Purchased At:   Dukes cycle

Similar Products Used:   Various Gary Fisher products

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Strengths:    You name it. Rocky and it's infamous powder coating and ST3. Wicked Marzzochi's.

Weaknesses:    - A personal reason. I think the saddle is a little cheap compared to the RMB Custon on the lower end Elevation.
I had initially wanted the white bike with the awesome 'naked' finish after the powder coating, but the candy apple red with the gloss was the only one they had in my size. It's starting to grow on me but I'm still considering bringing it back to Rocky and having them re-paint and re-decal it for around $350 CDN. I know, I know it's a taboo to have a white mountain bike, but people don't notice it as much then and it looks pretty damn good covered in mud, but then again so does the red...
- Dinky Shimano pedals
- People stare
- Thieves loves Rocky's

Bottom Line:
With a fine name like Rocky Mountain, you can't go wrong. This is a great all around bike. It will more than accept an XC challenge and is the smoothest communte on a hardtail mountain bike, I guaruntee it.

Purchased At:   West Point Cycles

Similar Products Used:   The original '89 Stratos my dad still owns and still running stong.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Travis from Thunder Bay

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Strengths:    Amazing Climber! Thanks to Rocky on the geometry. The fork is great. Avid SD5 s have got to be the strongest rim brakes on any bike in this price range. great fork, fits the bike, lots of travel, adjustable! Rims take the abuse too Race Face handlebars! Accelerates like a rocket, great crakset
Light Frame

Weaknesses:    Still looking.

Bottom Line:
Amazing xc bike, I'm 5 min faster in my races now!
Good for rocky for spec'ing out good components where people dont notice them! (BB, Hubs, Crank, Cassette, Good Bomber high end)

Get this bike, its wicked, and the coilour looks sweet too!

Favorite Trail:   Shunia Mines

Similar Products Used:   Marin Hawk Hill(OK starter bike, doesnt compare)
Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Panaracer TrailBlasters
otherwise its stock

Submitted by Funk D a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Strengths:    Great Shock and the frame allows for so much agility. Acceleration is phenomenal. Like strapping into a fighter.

Weaknesses:    Pedals are hard to clip into when mucked up. The LX front derailleur keeps over shifting and the chain occasionally drops off towards the centre line axis of the bike. Had it tuned and it still does it... could be just my technique not having been perfected. A really, really loud squeel from the front brake when its wet and dirty.

Bottom Line:
This bike is frikin awesome. What a rush!!!! I am so pleased with its performance. It takes me where I want to go without hesitation.

I am in my first serious year of riding and I wanted to buy something that I could grow into and not feel limited at the end of the season. I was seriously looking at the Elevation... which was a fantastic bike too, but after my test ride I saw this sexy looking red Rocky down the aisle and found it to be the Stratos.

It had the components that I would probably have upgraded to next year and I just couldn't get this Red frame out of my head, a very Canadian looking bike (Well done Rocky!). Colour and components made the small price jump worthwhile. The Elevation is still a great ride, if your looking for a break on price and your not too particular about colour.

The Stratos is a great bike for anyone getting into the sport, who does not want to have to buy another bike within a year or two because they can outride it. Admitedly, it is a heavy price tag for a first serious bike purchase, but I am hoping that it will do me for a while.

I wouldn't go for it if your not willing to go balls to the wall to improve your XC riding, because this bike is very, very capable. It would be a shame for the bike and a waste of money for you.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest

Purchased At:   Bay Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothing worthy of mentioning here. Tested the Rocky Elevation and Giant Rainier.

Bike Setup:   I found this years Stratos in Red; Rocky showed only White on their adverts. So I was suprised to find it in Red. I have kept all the stock components. I had the tech guys take off a half inch from each handle on my first 30hr tune up.

Submitted by Dennis Romano a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2003

Strengths:    Great frame material and design. Bomber air shock is very sweet. The bike is agile and responsive. Fairly light.

Weaknesses:    Shimano rapid fire shifters of any kind. Avid brakes that come with the bike are absolutely trash. Shame on Rocky Mountain for even using them.

Bottom Line:
The shock is air adjustable and can be tailored to each individuals needs. This is an excellent cross country bike. Forget about the dip in the earlier review. If you want to down hill then buy a down hill bike. The bike trackstands with ease and seems to be very agile. Steering is fast and precise. Doesn't wheelie very well. For the price this is a sweet deal. You have to love Easton tubing. I recommend this for up to intermediate level XC riders.

Favorite Trail:   Bunker Creek, UT

Purchased At:   Copeland's Sports

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rocky Ridge with all XT.

Bike Setup:   I changed out the shifters with Sram Rockets and the Avid brakes were changed out for XT's. Now the bike kicks ass.

Submitted by John Conelly a Downhiller from Arizona, Florida, Zimbabwe

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2003

Strengths:    its crap

Weaknesses:    its crap

Bottom Line:
so i am unhappy because this bike is a piece of turd

Favorite Trail:   the poopy way