Rocky Mountain Fusion 2003 Hardtail

4.77/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from London, Ont

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    Love the rigidness of the frame and percise steering.

Weaknesses:    The only trouble I have experienced with my fusion is the front brake sometimes sticks a little and needs an adjustment from time to time.

Bottom Line:
Overall I love the fusion. I ride it VERY hard and it has never given me a problem. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a rock solid bike for on/off road riding and or an aggressive weekend trail rider such as myself... would definately have to say it is the best bike you can but under $1000.00
....Well definately one of the best!!!
Happy riding

Sean

Favorite Trail:   Northern Snake

Purchased At:   To Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Had a Trek and a Kuhara...both were great bikes but I prefer my fusion.

Bike Setup:   Standard set up with a little tighter compression in the front suspension.

Submitted by Alan Chan a Cross Country Rider from Toronto ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2005

Strengths:    Rocky Frame (strong), front and rear disc compatable frame, strong Alex rim, ok gears and drivechain for "my" price. DT Champion spokes. For "my" price, I think I can say Deore RD and Cassette would be a strengths

Weaknesses:    For the price I got it at ($400 CAD), I can't really say it has much weakness. The bike is somewhat a little heavy compare to other bikes I have but for this price, nothing much I can say. Better shifters should be on this bike tho. They shouldn't used "combo" shifters and brake lever as Shimano Acera combo seems harder to shift compare to Shimano Acera shifters itself alone. A RockShox Judy TT fork isn't exactly what you want if you want to go offroad. Acera for front derailleurs and shifters is a weakness as a GT Avalanche 1.0 which is $30 cheaper (says in Canadian 2003 Bicycle Buyer's Guide) has front derailleurs and shifters in Deore when stock. Shimano Alivio stock hubs (They last only 1000km)

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for normal trail biking and beginner XC biking. I would say this is an entry level XC bike just like a Trek 4900 in 2002-2004 or 6500 in 2005+. I found it a little heavy and with my pass experence with my other bikes that had these stock "Shimano Alivio" hubs, they die after 1000km of running.

Purchased At:   Friend in super new condition (5km used)

Similar Products Used:   Klein, Trek, GT, Norco, Canadian Tires/SportChek POS, KHS, Giant, Kona

Bike Setup:   Currently completely Stock but will change tires and fork soon.

Submitted by mike janes a Cross Country Rider from langley, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth shifting with the deore comp's , up hill where it counts.Nice shock if you can get the RST Gila TL. Light weight in comparison to many others at this price. This ride just seems to fit like a glove , eh O.J.

Weaknesses:    SEat Seat seAt , Dam I just can't seem to get it right . SeAt...Grrr

Bottom Line:
As I'm sure you've read this bike handles nicely, rarely needs a tune up and is as solidly built as most others. If ya own one then enjoy , If ya don't.. buy one for your grandma to.

Favorite Trail:   Burnaby MT

Purchased At:   Langley

Similar Products Used:   None to date. I've been droping about the same on all my bike's in the past and only found one that give this much bang for the buck.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock except a Ritchey Stem. Good deore , accera and rocky comp's.

Submitted by Bill Knight a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton/Alberta/Canada

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    Has a very strong and light frame, good components,and good rims and maxis tires

Weaknesses:    Crank clicks

Bottom Line:
With the strong rmb custom 7005 aluminumand Deore rear derailleur and acera Front it is not for the people who are dirtjumpers or eXtream Freeriders but if you are a good cross contry rider then this bike is for you .It is a good intermediate cross country bike for people who don't want to spend a lot of money For a good bike that can handle any trail you give it

Favorite Trail:   Mill Creek Ravine

Purchased At:   RVC

Similar Products Used:   kona blast norco storm

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Kevin from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2004

Strengths:    Decent components, light and strong frame, agile, durable, fairly light overall considering the price

Weaknesses:    Judy fork, well this isnt really a weakness because you get what you pay for, if you wanted a better fork, spend more money on a better bike

Bottom Line:
I'm the same kevin as the first review, although a little wiser and a little more knowledgable.
This is a quality bike for a beginner. Decent components, fair fork,decent wheelset, beautiful frame for such a low price, very low maintenance.
Encountered zero problems in the year that i've used it, no borken components, no bent handlebars, nothing.
I've currently outgrown the decent components on this bike and have recently purchased a specialized 03 stupjumper pro.
I still frequently use this bike for commuting to and from work and while my stumy is in the shop.
Excellent bike, buy it! NOW! haha

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills, Barrie

Purchased At:   Skiis & Biikes

Similar Products Used:   Canadian Tire P.O.S.

Submitted by Chris Dorwarth a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    Frame is fantastic. Have a TREK 8000 -00 but I like this RM frame better.

Weaknesses:    None, so far.

Bottom Line:
Since the fork and rims etc is not "standard" it is hard to say how it was from the box. Anyway, when riding it for a short period of time I manage to climb obsticles that was almost impossible before. The fork together with the frame for me this is the best ride ever (to a very very low price).

Favorite Trail:   Skokloster

Similar Products Used:   TREK 8000, Merida 8900, Scott Comp Racing

Bike Setup:   Deore, Manitou X-vert T, VP104.

Submitted by Doug Lawrence a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna, BC

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Great climber, balanced, well built, great frame.

Weaknesses:    No stock bar ends, Fork is OK ( Judy)

Bottom Line:
Excellent Overall Bike, Great bike for beginners or weekend enthusiast who don't want to do huge downhilling. Just shows that Canadian Bikes are best.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Hayman

Purchased At:   Air Experience

Similar Products Used:   Ralegh ( Nakamura )

Bike Setup:   Deore,

Submitted by Matt Rennick Go a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Seemingly Strong, Looks Great, Quality Components

Weaknesses:    Mostly because of cable positioning, they leave little room for Lock brackets. Not thinking about us 'city folk' too much over there, I suppose. Perhaps the Pedals as suggested by another reviewer - but time will tell on that one.

Bottom Line:
I just got this yesterday and took it straight out to the Don and had an awesome time on it. My last bike (more or less, a piece of crap) had been out of commission for about 3 weeks or so, so I hadn't been out on a bike in a little bit but I can say for sure that this bike far surpassed my expecations of how much better than my old bike it would actually be. I found it to be light enough, super responsive and ultra smooth. I can't say how it compares to other bikes in the same range - but I can for sure that so far it seems like this is going to be well worth the money. I don't know an enormous amount about various components, but through research I can say that I think it's built using some decent - really good parts. I read one review which commented on the pedals poking holes in shoes - mine haven't been poked out just yet but I can totally see how that could happen. I'm going to give them a shot for a while and see if I prefer the spiked pedals to the toe-clips I had on my last bike. All in all, this thing seems pretty hot and I'm looking forward to spending a good amount of time on it before the weather gets too crappy.

Favorite Trail:   Don (Though, I don't really know many others)

Purchased At:   Silent Sports

Similar Products Used:   None really, last bike I owned was an old Raleigh Tarantula.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a nice WTB Laser Saddle, some stubby Bar Ends that Silent threw in for me and a bunch of lights from Mountain Equipment Co-op

Submitted by Iman a Weekend Warrior from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Strengths:    light, solid frame; handles well and will not fall apart. good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    saddle is somewhat uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
I would strongly recommend this bike to anyone who is serious about mountain biking. It is 100% reliable.

Similar Products Used:   Wal-mart special

Submitted by Garick a Cross Country Rider from Lakeview, NY

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    Solidly built, cheap price, comfy saddle

Weaknesses:    none for the price, maybe the tire construction is a little weak

Bottom Line:
I rented one of theses bikes twice while in whistler, BC and rode A river runs through it (check the trail reviews). The first one I got had some shifting issues but the second one was perfectly adjusted and worked excellent. This low spec drivetrain worked just as good as my own bike. Took a whole lot of abuse with no problems. Definitely a great value. I didn't miss my bike at all.

Similar Products Used:   my much more expensive bike

Submitted by newrider from Calgary,AB Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, components

Weaknesses:    Pedals, they poke holes in regular shoes

Bottom Line:
Friend has an older model RMB Fusion, and it is still going strong. This bike is made with great quality.
Great Value for such a great bike. Quality through out. Canadian owned. I would give it 5 but I hate the pedals.

Purchased At:   the bike shop, Calgary

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale 2002 F500, 2003 F300

Submitted by Gabhan a Cross Country Rider from Guelph, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent RM frame, good value for what you get

Weaknesses:    Kinda crappy components, but hey, buy a more expensive bike if you want em

Bottom Line:
Solid product from the best Canadian bike manufacturer. This is a good bike to get started on, beat the crap out of it and it will still work. Upgrades are needed for front suspension (stock is Judy's) and for the drivetrain (Acera) There are no Deore components on the stock model. Good buy for anyone seriously entering the mountain biking world.

Favorite Trail:   Fife

Purchased At:   Speed River

Bike Setup:   Fusion-> upgrades to Time Z Pedals, Fizik seat

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    Very agile and fairly light. Only had it one day but its really good, impresed with the shimano deore shifters

Weaknesses:    none yet, except when you drop the chain sometimes hits the fork thing that holds the wheel, its hard to explain but definitly wont affect your riding!

Bottom Line:
This is an oveall excellent bike for the price. Excellent components and very agile (as i said). Kindof a beginner bike but veterant could also use this. I you have a little extra cash buy the Rocky Mountain Trailhead. I will keep you updated as i keep using this bike.

Purchased At:   Siis And Biikes