Rocky Mountain Flow 2003 Hardtail

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Denis a Weekend Warrior from White Rock BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    I bought the frame only and built it from there. Frame is solid even with my clyde a$$ on it

Weaknesses:    Took abit of time getting used to Rocky's tight cockpit.

Bottom Line:
The way I buiklt this bike it rides and jumps like a dream. The Hucker I had was very harsh on landings as oppose to this bike. When I first built it up, I did not like the feel of it because the cockpit was too short me compared to my Hucker. Once I got used to it, I wouldn't part with it no mater what. If this one breaks, I will buy another one no questions asked. Actually I wouldn't buy anything other than a Rocky Mountain frame at this point.

Favorite Trail:   Delta watershed

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   Devinci Hucker

Bike Setup:   03 RM Frame, 01 RS Psylo Race 20mm thru axle, mavic 521 wheels, xtr drivetrain, formula hydros, hollowtech cranks

Submitted by Riley Morrison a Downhiller from Alberta canada

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Strengths:    Every thing This bike is awsome

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I only had this bike for 3 weeks because i was doing 5 Foot drops t flat the bike stoos up awsome . the 5 foot drops diddnt even dent the bike . it took the roughest stuff i could through at it and turned it inyo a simple trail. This bike is also an amazing dirt jumper.
The only reason i traded it in for a 2002 Rocky Mountain switch was because off a 4 foot brop to flat i blew out my knee so u got an awsome deal on my switch so i could do 6+feet

Favorite Trail:   Calgary (COP)

Purchased At:   The Bike And Run Shop

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Grind

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by justin cornoptiuck a Downhiller from Edm,AB,Canada

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Strengths:    Everything! The frame and fork are amazing! All components are very solid!

Weaknesses:    None! I havent had one problem!

Bottom Line:
This is an amazingly strong and versatile bike. Can take anything u throw at it. Thrives in the Urban and dirtjumping worlds. Definatly worth buyin!!

Favorite Trail:   industrial zone

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle

Similar Products Used:   the 03 Grind(similar but not as good).

Bike Setup:   Stock exept for a sun double wide rear wheel.

Submitted by Kevin Wallace a Weekend Warrior from Guelph,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Strengths:    the frane is just about the only thing that i really like on this bike. the shox are amazing too. ive had mine for 5 days and already the handlebars are all raddling and the disc brake is bent from doing a little drop. eerything else is sweet @ss

Weaknesses:    the derailleurs are crappy as ever. the disc brkes are alright but not the greatest and the stickers come off just when washing it with the hose (but who really cares)

Bottom Line:
this bike isnt worth 1900$Canadian i would pay 1500 becuz i would put the extra money in and get new derailleurs

Favorite Trail:   gorba trails

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Mcphails

Similar Products Used:   2002 flow.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Nathan a Weekend Warrior from East Bridgewater, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    The Flows new and improved frame handles alot of abuse. My first drop on the Flow was about 3.5 to 4 feet and I really didn't feel it as much as my previous bike. The rear of the bike was bulked up(probably because of the large amount of 2002 broken frames) along with shimano hydrolic discs, Maxxis Mobster 2.5's, and a Marzocchi dirt jumper II. All of that stuff is well worth the price.

Weaknesses:    Only one color. Who really cares.

Bottom Line:
My problem with my previous bike was that I kept breaking parts due to the fact that I am larger than your average rider (6'3" 200 lbs). The improvements in the frame from the previous model, along with the great stuff included makes this bike a must see when shopping for a new hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   vietnam - Milford MA

Purchased At:   Bikebarn

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper (I couldn't tell you what year), I borrowed my friends 2002 Flow and thats why I had to get the new one.

Submitted by ronald benitez a Weekend Warrior from honduras

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    very strong for mee. because i hevy.

Weaknesses:    i dont know weaknesses meen

Bottom Line:
i think i like bike because rocky mountain is white people company and white people ar smart. i trade muck corn and bricks for bycycle too my frend. but i very happy becase i can go fast now and i lood rich becuz i have goood bicycle

u bi bike
it very good for you and u frends

Favorite Trail:   manure crazy

Purchased At:   my friend house

Similar Products Used:   ?

Bike Setup:   i no understand

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Frame is way better than the 02. I broke that in 2 months going of a curb!

Weaknesses:    Downtube angle is not enough.

Bottom Line:
Great Frame, 03 stock is hella nice!
Price is a little high but worth it.
Frame will last and 03 stock parts will fit perfectly!

Similar Products Used:   02 flow

Bike Setup:   stock 02 flow with 03 frame

Submitted by scott a Downhiller from north west washington

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Strengths:    rectangle chain and seat stays. The 02 Flow broke shortly after purchasing. The 03 is a big improvement do not count on the frame braking. Nice head tube angle. This bike is great for urban or the north shore.

Bottom Line:
nothing. The decals are staying on which i could care less. The frame is in one piece. I am finally able to do a pedal kick w/o the frame separating.

Bike Setup:   stock

TACX i-Flow (T2270)

Hello, does anyone have any experiences with this virtual trainer? Are you able to import gps files and ride your paths against AI? Or how much paths I have (that can ride races against AI)? Thanks in advance :)Read More »

iXS Flow Knee pad fit ?

Are wanting to get a pair of these but are just a fraction under the large size.Should I go with the medium or are they a snug fit?Read More »

JagWire Hy-Flow Hose on M785 XT Brake

Has anybody successfully ran this hose on their M785 XT brakes? I've read where some of the earlier HyFlow hose did not work on M785's, but have since heard that JagWire has corrected the issue. This is to be paired with their Quick-Fit Adpaters of course. Before I get trampled on for changing out t ... Read More »

Use Velox rim tape under Stan's tape in Flow EX rims?

I just got a Hope Hoops wheelset with Flow EX rims. The wheels came with two rolls of 13mm Velox cloth rim tape. Should I install the Velox tape and then put yellow Stan's tape over that? Or just use the yellow Stan's tape?Read More »

Niner WFO Build Stans Flow EX on Hope hubs or Mavic Crossmax ST 2013

I'm building a 2013 Niner wfo, debating between these two wheelsets. Wanted to get some other opinions on wheels. I'm going to be doing XC/Trail and maybe a race at sea otter with it. Would be nice to take it to a park, but not needed. Stans Flow Ex on Hope Hubs 1963 grams 32 spokes or Mavic Cross ... Read More »