Raleigh M80 2003 Hardtail

4.1/5 (31 Reviews)

Submitted by Dustin a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    I have beat this bike to death. 1500-2000 miles a year from when I picked it up, I think I am at 10,000 miles now. Limited maintenance, a good tune and taredown once a year and it runs like a clock. Have ridden it acrost 3 states

Weaknesses:    Change all spokes after 8000 miles

Bottom Line:
Love my toy.

Favorite Trail:   doesnt matter. point me in the right direction.

Purchased At:   canyon sports ut

Similar Products Used:   Have a king kikapoo love that bike too

Bike Setup:   Cross country hybrid tires 2.5s rack with a good set of bags.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Aiken SC

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Everything is awesome. By far the most enjoyable bike I have ever ridden. Going on 5 years of usage and the bike still performs great. I use this bike for training for my offroad motocycle racing and highly enjoy it.

Weaknesses:    noe I have found.

Bottom Line:
You can't beat this bike for everyday use or the weekend warrior.

Purchased At:   Harrell's bicycle wo

Bike Setup:   Stock, with the exception of hand guards and some new maxxis tires.

Submitted by singlefileDH a Downhiller from oregon

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    heavy welds

Weaknesses:    back disc to exposed

Bottom Line:
buy one

Favorite Trail:   timberline red tag

Purchased At:   goodboys club

Similar Products Used:   shwin hybrid

Submitted by bigdaddy47898 a Cross Country Rider from ottumwa,iowa USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Veary durable,dependable,fun to ride and operate

Weaknesses:    no back shock

Bottom Line:
I love this bike to death, will (never part with it), ive had it since new, low maintance.

Favorite Trail:   turkey island

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   trek, schwinn

Bike Setup:   Raleigh m80,deep woods tires, disc brakes all around

Submitted by ams a Cross Country Rider from georgia

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    it's like a good truck

Weaknesses:    judys and deore

Bottom Line:
my favorite bike so far. I have been riding this bike daily for the past five years totaling over 27k miles on it. I still ride the same rims and hubs. put on some xts (get the triggers) its very comfortable. I can enjoy riding 18-20 mph till I puke. I do have to appeal to Raleigh though; because the aluminum above the weld on my seat tube is cracking, but well, 27k. do the math.

Favorite Trail:   road obsticals

Purchased At:   benjis

Bike Setup:   I put on xts all the way around

Submitted by mtg111188 a Weekend Warrior from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, low maintanence, great handling and shifting, comfortable build and ride.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
A great mtn bike for all use. Great value at ~$500. Appropriate for all but the most demanding mtn biker who's willing to pay 2 or 3 times its cost. I have used this bike for over 5 years with no problems and only routine maintanence. Very manuverable and comfortable. I am 6'2 and 230 and it supports my size very well.

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from Virginia Beach, VA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth ride, light weight

Weaknesses:    Front suspension fork a little spongy

Bottom Line:
OK--you see the price is only $50....I reclaimed this bike from the curbside trash where it had been placed for pickup last Spring. Some idiot threw out this quite serviceable bike after what appeared to be monumental neglect, but not abuse. The chain was so rusted it would not turn, there was surface rust on the frame and chipped paint, the derailers were maladjusted, and the seat was torn. I put down $50 because that's how much I spent on paint, a new chain, a new seat, etc. and one weekend of sweat equity. My reward is a nearly free sweet ride that I've enjoyed on the Virginia Beach boardwalk and some local park trails, where my "trash" bike stands up to the more expensive new store-bought rides. The triumph of recycling [no pun intended] !! All the things said in the other reviews are true--easy shifts, great brakes, responsive handling. My only complaint is that the front suspension is a little spongy, and tends to compress too easily on the starts, but that may be a result of the previous user wearing it out a bit. All in all, I'd buy a new one [if they were still made] but now don't need to....

Favorite Trail:   Va Creeper Trail, Abingdon, VA

Purchased At:   Curb side trash

Similar Products Used:   GT-All Terra Tequestra

Submitted by david willis a Weekend Warrior from camp Lejeune NC USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2007

Strengths:    great price for the spec package.

Weaknesses:    a little weak on weight but for the price its a great bike

Bottom Line:
this was a great bike. I even raced it some. the stock stem and bar combo make it a little sluggish. but thats fairly easy and cheap to fix. the complete lx drivetrain on a bike this cheap is incredible. plus you get a good wheelset.
this is a great weekend warrior or beginner bike. I just passed mine on to a friend since I upgraded to a rush 3 but I hated to see this bike go.

Favorite Trail:   brig trail, vultures Knob

Purchased At:   gemini jackson ohio

Similar Products Used:   trek 6500

Bike Setup:   bontrager flat bar, bontrager 110 mm stem with 5 degree lift ran upside down. thompson elite seat post.

Submitted by JOHN a Weekend Warrior from TALLAHASSEE, FL

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Handles everything thrown at it. Smooth gears, Deore LX are very nice. Bike is very tough and predictable. Hubs are the only weakness, I think I hit the dirt jumps a little too hard and may have messed up the rear axle. Rides smooth and is very fast. Has great uphill traction with the hardtail. The best component of this bike are the Shimano Disk brakes. The brakes require ONE finger on each brake, and they are SOOO smooth. Very good wheel feel with the disk brakes.

Favorite Trail:   REDBUG

Purchased At:   TASOCYCLES

Submitted by Jeff Wood a Weekend Warrior from La Quinta, Ca

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    smooth shifting, nice ride with front suspension, wide bars, large sturdy 22" frame. Big bike for big guy

Weaknesses:    tektro brakes

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike for a healthier way to get to work and back and weekend treks on desert dirt trails. I am very satisified with the bike and the price. I am 6'-1" 230lbs and needed a bigger frame and feel very solid on the M80.(22"FRAME)
I have had Specialized products in the past (Rockhopper, Hardrock)and am impressed with the weight and handleing of the M80. RALEIGH'S customer support is very good as well. So far it shifts great and does what I want. I have not gone on treacherous downhills or heavy boulder single tracks, but would feel confident in the attempt. I have heard comments in regards to the frame being "bulky and hard to manage" and I disagree.
It is perfect for my 3 mile one way trip to work and back :) very satisfied.

Favorite Trail:   LQ Cove

Purchased At:   Don's Bike , Indio Ca

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rock hopper

Bike Setup:   Deore LX, Judy tt front shock, 22" frame, DM18 Alex rims

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    ~*~ 2000 Raleigh M80 ~*~

*Good Value (450$ on sale)
*Strong and light frame
*Great suspension

Weaknesses:    I have Owned an 2000 M80 since May of 2001 and since then the brakes have worn out (fast wear and i'm not a hard rider), the rear wheel is very bent (unfixable) from light trail riding, unnatural rear tire wear, the front gears have siezed to move from mud and water, the shifter need adjustment, the tires need to be filled @60 p.s.i before each ride becasue they will air down, and an overall very harsh ride on the road.

Bottom Line:
The 2000 M80 is a good bike for people that ride for fun on weekends on light trails but if you are serious about trail riding like I am, DONT BUY IT becasue it is not made to with stand it. Becasue I bike difficult trails almost everyday, my M80 has took a beating to the point were parts have to be replaced and cant be fixed. I take care of my bike very well but the trails break everything I try to fix. The 2000 M80 is sometime good for these trails becasue it is light and it has WONDERFUL suspention that goes throught anything and still performs when you want it to. The value is great if you are looking to buy one.
OVERALL: A good bike for a good price for weekend warriors looking to go on light trails but NOT for experienced riders looking for a challenge becasue the M80 will not perform to your standard.

Favorite Trail:   None...as long as they are challenging. :)

Purchased At:   Joe Jones Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Other Gaint Mountain Bikes

Bike Setup:   2000 M80 with 27spd Shimano,RockShocks suspension,seat suspension.

Submitted by jake from endicott

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Strengths:    light, nice paint, stong, everything

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
its a great bike for begginners like myself, its also good for cross county and it takes a lot of abuse, belive me i know i abouse it. its light and you can through it in the back of any car trusk whatever. if you like to ride on the road and mountain bike just bnlow up the tires hard and you can go fast and coast too. then let air out of the tires and you can go play in the mud

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   teds bile shop

Bike Setup:   stock new handel bars

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Westerly, RI USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2004

Strengths:    Price, Durability & drive train. Excellent bike for price range I was looking at. Worth the $$$ if using the bike for weekends and non-competiton. Execellent control out in the woods and going down hills.

Weaknesses:    Brakes! I lost my right brake when nut fell off while riding. Disappointed as I only rode about 30 hours at the time when it happened. Weight of bike is a bit heavy. Shocks aren't the best but for $550 I can't complain.

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with the bike (besides losing a brake pad but I don't blame Raleigh). Rides very well on & off road. I am a big guy at 6" and 250lbs and the ride is very comfortable. I did a lot of research and tested 4 other brands in my price range and hands down this was the best choice. Not planning to upgrade anything on the bike at this time but I may upgrade the shocks and the brakes in the future. I was a loyal Trek user for 12 years and I still regard them as a fine mfg but with Deore LX and a sturdy frame I decided on the M80 2003 model.I was looking for value & durabilty in a MT Bike for a weekend user & Raleigh offered a great fit. I'm going to buy the Tess for my wife next month.

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Point, CT

Purchased At:   Rose City Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher & Specialized all in the $500-700 price range

Bike Setup:   Everything is stock items. Added bar ends to help on hills. Great investment.

Submitted by he who is called "J" a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas Baby Nevada

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Strengths:    Burly aluminum frame w/ dialed in geometry and big-bang for the buck value on the OE supplied components: LX drivetrain, brakes and wheels. WTB Velociraptor tires rock!

Weaknesses:    Definitely the Rock Shock Judy forks. Only 2.5" travel but I guess this was meant for xc so for that it's just fine. Sure bottoms out a lot, though...

Bottom Line:
Raleigh may not be a big name in the Dirtjumping and Downhill scene but my 15" M80 holds up to the punishment just fine. It rides like a fine dual slalom hardtail and handles the xc rides like a champ. Long climbs and big air baby! It's even fun to ride at the local skateparks. Box jumps and half pipes are no match for this puppy. Considering what I've paid, I'd say I came out on top with value and performance. Who said you had to spend a lot of dough to huck and climb? I recommend the M80 for budget concious weekend warriors and anyone who loves to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   Valencia Cycles, San Francisco

Similar Products Used:   This is my first mtb after 20yrs of riding BMX bikes so everything I've ridden until now were BMX/cruiser bikes.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to XT hubs and Rhyno Lite wheels. Brakes are now XT linear breaks/levers. Azonic dh 2.5" riser bars and a Primo BMX stem (50mm) help to make dirtjumping and DH a bit more manageable.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Tulare CA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Strengths:    LX drivetrain

Weaknesses:    basicly everything else

Bottom Line:
It has a good drivetrain for the price. However if you look at the rest of the bike it sucks. The frame while it proabably holds up has horrible geometry it just does not handle well it feels heavy and doesent inspire you to push your technical limits. It is fairly unstable at speed and you have to really watch your brakes because they are not very uniform and if you lock your front wheel you are going on your head. The fork... well I would perfer that it was a plain rigid one, it has no damping, that I could feel anyhow, and 2 springs with about 1/2 inch of travel (left once you get on) it is not worth haveing and it is heavy. So the botom line if you are on flat ground it will work ok, but for serious mountain Biking look elsewhere the frame geometry just does not cut it.
I rate it 2 Chilis for the drivetrain nothing else is worth haveing I would not buy another.
P.S. Mine got stolen about 2 months ago so it is possible that they are popular w/thives proably to be striped. I got the Tassajara as a replacement.

Purchased At:   Visalia Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Motiv Stone Grinder HP 10 yrs old cro moly. Gary Fisher Tassahara W/some mod's.

Bike Setup:   stock

Trek 930 shx vs Raleigh M80

I am looking for a cheap bike to mess around with to help me decide if I will love the sport and am willing to spend $1500 on a bike. I have found a mid '90's Trek 930 shx for $175 and a mid 2000's Raleigh M80 for $200. Which should I go for? Bicyclebluebook.com values the Trek higher even though ... Read More »

How Much to Pay for a 2001 Raleigh M80??

Hi All, A friend of mine at work has asked me to help him sell his old mountain bike so he can get a new one! (wifes orders!) He currently has a 2001 Raleigh M80, and it is in pretty good shape. He said after talking with a local bike dealer that he could get $250-$300 bucks for it! I didnt want ... Read More »

Trek 4500 vs 2006 Gary Fisher Wahoo vs Raleigh M80 with extras

Just started riding. Found these on craigslist needed some advice since I don't know much about this stuff yet. First bike is a Trek 4500. Guy said he bought it new a couple of years ago so it's probably a 2010 or so. At $145 it's the most affordable. [URL="http://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/3981 ... Read More »

I'm New! Need help to update '99 Raleigh M80

Hey all. I'm new here and am just now getting into biking for the first time since I was a teen. (30's now). This is my first post and I LOVE forums. The reason I am here is to soak up some good info from some vets. I just picked up a '99 Raleigh M80. It is actually my first owned by me mnt ... Read More »

m80 issues.

I dug out my '03-ish (might be '02) M80 and picked up biking some trails last summer (3 times a week-ish). Fall/Spring i was hardly able to go probably only a handful of times and I'm starting back up this summer. If your lazy just skip the last paragraph where the question is... By the end of ... Read More »