Raleigh M80 Disc 2003 Hardtail

4.7/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by Trip Brown a Weekend Warrior from Roswell, Georgia, United States

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    Very solid frame and has a great weight and speed (for the money) Comes with disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Judy TT forks and low quality pedals

Bottom Line:
The bike out of the box is a steal for the price. The frame is a decent weight and is very sturdy. For someone who wants to be recognized as a valued member of the community, the bike is great but it wont turn heads. The forks require an upgrade. I moved to rock shox pike 2007 and i love the extra travel and plush ride it has to offer. If you can still get a hold of one of these bikes, do!

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Cannondale

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Strengths:    XL/Deore drivetrain unreal at this price point. Fit and finish and overall feel of the bike Good looks. Price.

Weaknesses:    Less than perfect geometry, but stil plenty capable. Seat is brutal! Not super light, average weight I guess.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike. Im a 6', 250 pound weightlifter and this bike handles me with little problem. Got it for a steal as it was the last '04 model they had and were trying to get rid of it. A $600 bike for $420!!

The fork holds up fine and Ive yet to bottom it out on anything but I dont ride too extreme. The shifter is as smooth as a Porsche.

The geometry is not quite as good as some others but it doesnt suck by any means. I notice it most when making quick hairpin turns or weaving around objects. However it does transmit torque to the rear wheel very well. I have no problem powering up hills.

Overall you cannot beat this bike for the money. Its build quality, drivetrain and component package is unmatched for this price. I would think this bike would be a great choice for beginners and experienced riders. I couldnt be happier with this bike and Raleigh will be my first stop next time Im in the market for a bike.

Favorite Trail:   Harrison Bay

Purchased At:   River City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Stafford, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    Stability and durability. This bike is my re-entry bike to a ten year absence. 27 speed, disc brakes, and shimano LX components are a still for the price!

Weaknesses:    The pedals are useless without toeclips or an upgrade.

Bottom Line:
Excellent buy for the first timer would would like to "appear" as a serious rider. You will get plenty of mileage from this bike for relatively cheap.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh m60, Gary Fisher Marlin

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Rock Shox Psylo XC fork and WTB Rocket V Race seat.

Submitted by Justin a Downhiller from austin, texas, usa

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    extremely rugged, nice judy tt fork, great over all performance- i highly recomend this bike because it is such a value. the componets on this bike are wonderful and smooth

Weaknesses:    the crank is not the best, (i blew mine out after only 1 1/2 months and i weigh only 175 lbs.), pedals are aweful, (once again i broke them the first day)

Bottom Line:
This bike is worth every, and i mean EVERY cent. i have put about $150.00 into it and i still love it, its totally worth it- and I AM a penny pincher.

Purchased At:   Bucks Bikes

Similar Products Used:   kona scrap, some cannondales and gary fisher

Bike Setup:   shimano lx crank, giant seat- the only upgrades

Submitted by Matt Hickerson from Nashville, TN, US.

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    Really good components, takes a beating, and the price was right. Dang good value.

Weaknesses:    Yeah, the shocks need upgraded, the pedal are crap, and the geometry is definitely not the greatest.

Bottom Line:
Your on a budget and want a quality bike? You can get this one for pretty cheap. You definitely can get it cheaper than the $850 list price. It's a little on the heavy side but you can't have everything. Watch out for the geometry, especially for you larger dudes out there. I prefer gary fisher or cannondale when it come to that department. Overall, this is an exceptional value.

Purchased At:   C&C bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rode a Cannondale F300, and a Specialized Rockhopper. Demoed the Marlin and Trek 4500.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC (how appropriate...)

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, Heritage (Raleigh was 1st!)

Weaknesses:    Crankset,bars, stem

Bottom Line:
There are lighter bikes that are equal for a LOT more money,this bike is The Honda Accord of XC bikes...not the fastest,not the lightest, not the most stylish (although the'03 graphics are very cool!) and you won't get the oohs and ahhs you might get pulling in to the lot at your local dirt pile with a Yeti or Merlin on the roof...but at the end of the day (after day after day...)you will have the bike that is in one piece always ready, never a problem!
Put the key in, keep it lubed and ride the living daylights out of it!!! (and save the extra $1000 bucks you'd spend on an ego bike for an MTB tour of Moab or Ashville!!)

Favorite Trail:   Hogs Run,Regency,Beaver Dam

Purchased At:   Cycle Logic (Ed's awesome!)

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Kona, Diamondback, Fischer

Bike Setup:   Deore LX Crank, FSA basher,Easton EA70 bars, Bontrager Headset-stem and FS2000 seat, Wellgo 3130 pedals,

Submitted by Doug White a Racer from Divide Colorado United States

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Strengths:    Rims arent bad and it comes with disk brakes. The tires are real nice too.

Weaknesses:    Disk brake pads on mine went out kinda fast and the fork isnt that good. The levers and shifters arent real good either, the stock pedals also stink.

Bottom Line:
Its a good bike, can take some pretty hard stuff. Doesnt weigh a ton either. My friend has a Haro and paid $800 for it and the M80 comes pretty close in quality. If your a hard core racer, you probably wont want this bike, but if your like me and dont race more than five times a summer, this bike is real good.

Favorite Trail:   Straton Open Space

Purchased At:   Colorado Springs Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Haro Escape, Jamis.

Bike Setup:   Stock except toeclip pedals.

Submitted by Alex Hussain a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Strengths:    Will withstand anything I throw at it. Has awesome Deore/LX components...PRICE is amazing. Disc Brakes are powerful, even for big guys...

Weaknesses:    It is a little heavy and the geometry sometimes is a bit awkward...fork could be better to match up with other component level...stock pedals really suck...

Bottom Line:
This bike is a tank, I am 6'4, 225lbs and I ride hard, really hard! This thing is awesome. Yes, it is a little heavy - but that is the price you have to pay for strength (especially on anything under $1000). I use this bike for everything: city riding, urban assault, bmx ramps, trail riding, cross country, and even downhill.

The components are fine with regular maintenace - the disc brakes and the shock are really holding up to a beating so far...

The price on this bike is insane considering the quality components and overal strength that you get...and with a few upgrades this bike competes with the big dogs...DEFINATELY THE BEST DEAL OUT THERE for anyone who wants a good, strong bike without busting the bank.

Favorite Trail:   Fellsway

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Tassajara, Raliegh M60, Haro ??, Specialized RockHopper, Trek 4500 & 8500...the list goes on and on...

Bike Setup:   XL Frame, Upgraded Judy TT Shock(a must for big guys...), Performance Platform Pedals or sometimes some Shimano Clipless...depends on the terrain, Bar ends, new grips, Performance Forte seat...

Submitted by Raphael a Weekend Warrior from Southern California

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Strengths:    -Price! I agree with just about every reviewer here. Best bang for your buck.
-Shimano deore/lx components.
-disk brakes
-strong frame

Weaknesses:    -Judy tt fork. This is bottom of the line RockShox
-Pedals
-saddle

Bottom Line:
The best bike out there for this price. No bike comes close. I'm a heavy rider at 220 pounds and I ride very hard. The m80 just keeps on going strong. I've landed 3 foot drops and the m80 handled it fine. The disk brakes are not top of the line but they perform much better than v-brakes. The only bad component on this bike that stands out is the fork. The judy tt would be ok for normal use ie. around the neighborhood, and hardpack trail riding. But if your going to get serious about mountain biking and start riding technical stuff you will need a better fork. I recommend the marzocchi mx comp. With a good fork upgrade this bike will perform like a dream. So if you are looking for a great bike for only $500, get the m80. Raleigh is extremly underrated.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   m40 tassajara iguana

Bike Setup:   stock except for wtb speed v saddle, kona jack sh-t platforms

Submitted by Mudduck a Weekend Warrior from Amarillo,Texas

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Strengths:    Most bang for the buck. LX components, shifters, derailers, disk brakes, tires, and looks.

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike. Me and a friend are getting into this "hobby" and looked at bikes for 2 weeks. We "stole" these bikes for $349.99. The store owner said that they were on sale to make room for the '04 models. You will not buy any other bike with shimano LX components and disk brakes for anything less than this. I even went so far as to ask if there were anything wrong with these bikes, like recalls or the like. I just finished my first race that of 9.3 miles in Palo Duro Canyon,TX. The bike did fine. My friend broke his chain, but nothing else broke. Believe me, we are the ultimate "weekend warriors". The shocks did quite well for my tast, I am sure that there are alot better ones out there. Bottom Line: Ultimate Bang For The Buck!

Favorite Trail:   Palo Duro Canyon (All of them)

Purchased At:   Bike Korner

Similar Products Used:   Tested Giant Ranier and Iguana disk, Specialized Hardrock Comp, Trek 4300,4500,4900

Bike Setup:   Stock, added Fugi handles, bottle and rack

Submitted by Robb Spring a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    Bike has Deore LX derailers (front and rear), Deore Rapidfire shifters, Shimano mechanical disk brakes, RockShox suspension fork, aluminum frame, WTB Velociraptor tires, good paint scheme

Weaknesses:    A 500 dollar bicycle! However, it is component spec'ed on the level of $750 follar bikes. Maybe only 1 other bike, has similar level components at this price.

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike, short of a BMX Huffy when I was little. For its price, I found (after exhaustive research) only one other bike that was near this bike, in specs. But it is a Canadian made bike, and not available locally. Even at that, its components were "near" this in specs. This bike cost me 500 with tax. It component speced near or better then the Giant Ranier, priced at $750. I had given myself 750 budget for a bike, and at this price, I had plenty of money left over for the necessary customization that everyone wants. I already put some Ouri? grips on, which are more comfortable. (the factorys were good grips, but not comfortable). I put a Rockshox suspension seatpost on, and a Schwinn ergonomic gel seat (on sale for 10 bucks). The original seat wasnt that bad, but it is the typical hard uncomfortable seat that your body needs to get used to. I am most likely going to put a Brooks leather saddle on this bike. I am also going to put some Specialized Hemisphere tires on this bike too. The factory tires are great, but very aggressive for my riding. I will probably spend most of my time on improved surfaces like roads and dedicated trails. That is why I put the suspension seat post, the more comfortable grips, and will change the tires to somethign less aggressive. However, I could then easily switch the bike back to something more aggressive, if need be. I did not even test ride this bike. I test rode many mountain bikes, and most were all similar. The most comfortable bike I test rode, was a Specialized Rockhopper?. But, it did not have disk brakes. I imagine all bikes are comperable, its just a matter of opinion and getting used to the bike. So I went with the bike that was speced up with the best quality components, for its price.

Purchased At:   Biscari Brothers in Liberty MO

Similar Products Used:   Test rode: G. Fisher Tassajara, Giant Iguana disk, Giant Ranier, other various mountain and hybrid bikes

Bike Setup:   Factory stock

Submitted by Mic a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Strengths:    BEST VALUE in a hardtail!!! LX components. Shimano disc brakes and hubs. Judy TT shock work well and adjust easily. tough & rugged. IMHO, I liked the all-black hardware and paint over other paint jobs I saw.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Limited availability, Be patient but persistant.

Bottom Line:
BEST VALUE in a hardtail!!! Believe me, I looked at all hartails under $1000, studied specs and rode 'em. You have to spend $750 to get the same level of components. I think Raliegh made a mistake in pricing this bike. Get one before they figure out their mistake. I could have written 'Dan from SLC,UT' review, I agree with everything he said. There will be no need to up grade components on this bike. The only upgrade will be when I'm ready to graduate to a full suspension bike. P.S. Highly Redmond Cycles if your in the Seattle area.

Favorite Trail:   Finn Hill

Purchased At:   Redmond Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I researched Hardrock Disc, Iguana Disc and all other mainstream bikes in the $500-800 price range.

Bike Setup:   Added toe clips

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Exceptional value!! If you are on a tight budget and want a killer ride the M-80 is definately a MUST buy. Excellent frame and top-notch componants.

Weaknesses:    Me ..... lol! The bike is definately tougher than anthing I can dish out!!

Bottom Line:
I did alot of research on this purchase ..... TRUST ME!! I even went so far as renting the Rockhopper and the Iguana first! What it boiled down to for me was, being a relatively new rider, I wanted an EXCELLENT entry level high-end bike. One that I could get alot of mileage out of before upgrading! I got it with the M-80 DISC!!! No other bike can even come close to the set up / price ratio! Awesome componants at an INCREDIBLY low price ...... A must buy for anyone looking to get into the sport who is looking for a GREAT value on an excellent ride!

Favorite Trail:   Alpine Loop

Purchased At:   Highlander Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper (base and comp). Giant Iguana.

Bike Setup:   Standard stock set-up. Added toe clips and semi-slicks, as I tend to do alot of road work.

Submitted by RPheezy Fer Sheezy a Weekend Warrior from Vallejo, CA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    Best dollar for dollar features. Deore LX front and back, disc brakes, shimano crankset, Alexrims DM18, velociraptor rubber, decent Judy TT.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy, basic Judy TT fork.

Bottom Line:
Best dollar for dollar features in the market. Just advanced enough for a newb like me to grow into.

Purchased At:   Authorized

Bike Setup:   Deore LX front and back, disc brakes, Judy TT, Velociraptor rubber, Alexrims DM18, Shimano crankset, Shimano pd-m324.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Tualatin, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    Sturdiness, Disc brakes, seamless shifting with Deore LX front and rear.

Weaknesses:    Handle grips, seat

Bottom Line:
Rides much nicer than the pricier Rainier. Judy TT Rock Shox are way more adjustable than the POS shocks on the Rainier, which I couldn't adjust hard enough to not bottom out on the smallest bumps. The M80 maneuvers nicely, and is very stiff in that you always feel like you have control of the bike. Definitely a good purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Banks/Vernonia