Raleigh M60 2003 Hardtail

4.15/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by best bike in africa a Weekend Warrior from jonannsberg

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    nothing

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
it sux

Favorite Trail:   safari ride

Price Paid:    $1990.00

Purchased At:   botswana bikes

Submitted by dan gabel a Weekend Warrior from minocqua, wi, us

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2008

Strengths:    have used the bike for 7 yrs. still using the original parts

Bottom Line:
Great long lasting bike. That doesn't break. works Great. Strongly suggest buying one if you can.

Purchased At:   bj's sportshop minocqua

Submitted by Tyler Hyde a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2006

Strengths:    Very good starting bike, easy to learn on. I'm 6'4" and I fit this bike perfect. Brakes lasted 3 years for me.

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked got new one for free from Raleigh. Rear Der was completly shot after year and half. Front suspension was shot after 1 month. Wheel set fell out of true quickly then stayed there, had to buy new one after 3-4 months.

Bottom Line:
I'm an average rider. I dont push extra hard but I can hold my own on the courses and for someone just getting into MTBing this is a good bike. I used it for 3 years and really tore it up but I ride 1-4 times a week, just whenever I can. Time to get a new bike.

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Psylo XC, Shimano XT rear derailleur, Shimano XT cassette, Shimano PD-M540, no name Bar Ends, local shop wheel set, local shop seat post suspension, everything else stock

Submitted by Tim C a Weekend Warrior from Ia

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    Deore 9speed drivetrain components, velociraptor tires, tough frame. This bike is a great value for the money. It feels good, looks good and will take whatever you can dish out with no failures so far. It is my first new bike in 15 years. I had a couple different used Treks prior that did not really fit me. The Raleigh handles and performs great. I wonder why there doesn't seem to be any reviews in the mags about this one. Disc brake ready setup.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest bike. Ok seat, but not great. Stock grips sucked so I changed 'em

Bottom Line:
An excellent bike for the under $800 price range. You get a good solid aluminum frame, decent fork, Deore drivetrain. Swap the grips for some dual compounds and you're good to go right out of the bike shop.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized hard rock, Trek 4900

Bike Setup:   Full Deore drivetrain, Tektro V brakes-stock except for better grips and smoothie tires for road riding.

Submitted by Alan Atwood a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE, USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2003

Strengths:    Good quality frame, components, tires. Lightweight, highly maneuverable. Runaway bargain at this price.

Weaknesses:    Unfamiliar with Weinmann ZAC wheelset. Curious how it will hold up to abuse. Judy TT fork gets the job done but could be a bit more refined.

Bottom Line:
It's love for me! I spend most of my time doing road rides using 2 Cannondales - one for training, and a full Dura-Ace for weekend group rides. My son mastered riding about 3 months ago and I found that the road bikes were tough to use when I went for rides with him. I barely got any exercise at all! This was my initial motivation for buying a singletrack bike. Since that time, I purchased a
singletrack bike for my wife as well, and the three of us are having a great time exploring local trails. What a rush! You hear alot about "trusting the bike" in trail and mountain bike riding. The M60 is well worth my trust. It is strong, reliable, maneuverable, and comfortable. And, in the road world, $350 is what you pay for a good wheelset! Phenomenal value, I'm having a blast.

Favorite Trail:   just get me out there!

Purchased At:   Dunbar's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Univega Alpina Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock: Full Deore, WTB Seat and tires, Weinmann ZAC 19 Wheelset, RockShox Judy TT.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2003

Strengths:    Most other bikes with a simialar component package cost significantly more. Deore derailurs front and back are a real plus. I have not felt the need to replace or upgrade any of the stock components. In general, the bike feels good and has a good set of components to augment that.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet. I would have liked to buy a bike built in the USA but found the Raleigh M60 to be the best bang I could get for my buck. (Built in China)

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike, but again I am coming from the perspective of never having owned a new bike and being a college student on a tight budget. I ride this bike every day to work/school and get out once or twice a week to ride trails in the area.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatomi

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Tango

Similar Products Used:   This is the first new bike I have purchased. After researching frames and component packages I went for this bike without doing too much test riding.

Bike Setup:   factory stock.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Strengths:    Enough said about the best bike for the $400 range. Shimano Deore Front and Rear derailers. Solid frame.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
I have searched for the best bike around $400 and was about to settle on the G.F. Marlin until I drove it around and tried all the gears. The F/D seems to get stuck, numerous times(even after bike shop adjusted it). So much for the Alivio F/D, and I've also heard about how slow or problematic G.F. is on their warranty. The GT Avalanche 1.0 was next, since it also has the Deore derailers. But ever since they were sold to Pacific bicycles, I was hesitant about their reputation and craftsmanship. Then came the Raleigh M60, Deore derailers, Rock Shock Judy TT's (not the best, but not too bad either, compared to the Manitou Six), the seat did not seem to bother me like the others. I would definitely recommend this bike, and like me, you might get lucky and purchase the 2003 model on sale.

Purchased At:   bikeworld

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon, Gary Fisher Marlin, GT Avalanche 1.0& Specialized Hardrock Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Heather a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    shimano deore

Weaknesses:    the fork...practically flew of my bike on a couple of large bumps

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great deal for the money....Full Shimano deore, solid frame and 27 speeds. I have participated in two adventure races so far this season, and my bike has held up beautifully. I am so happy that I decided on this bike. It is the best bike that you could buy in the 400 price range. I originally was going to purchase the women specific equivelent (tess) but after testing it out, I discovered that the M60 fit much better. The one thing that I really wanted though was the women's specific saddle(from the tess). The people at the shop were nice enough to give the women's saddle for free and I am so thankful. Before this saddle, I hated sitting on my bike (riding during an adventure race can last several hours and i would hurt for days afterward)...now that I have the saddle, I have felt no pain and i would recommend to all ladies to see about switching saddles if you have ever had any discomfort.

Favorite Trail:   Poniac Lake

Purchased At:   Planet Cycle

Similar Products Used:   raleigh tess (female specific)

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    Full Shimano Deore, price

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
This bike and the M80 are the two best values in bikes under $500 that I could find after a thorough research. They compare to bikes usually costing $200 more. The M60 and M80 share the same frame and fork but the M80 has full Deore LX while the M60 has full Deore components. It is said that the Rockshox Judy fork is not the best but so far I have no complains. Nice bike, nice riding, nice components at very good price. This is the second Raleigh bike and plan to stick with the brand.

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M80, GF Tassajara and Marlin, Haro V something

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Leawood, KS USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    Components are outstanding for the money, full Shimano Deore, Cane Creek and WTB. Decent frame, same as on M80

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest bike on the block, manual is not model specific, so its not very useful.

Bottom Line:
Really there isn't a better deal out there for the money. I am a roadie and I was looking for a Mt. Bike to ride with my kids for around $500 that had good enough components to enjoy riding surfaces that are not skinny tire friendly, like the Mickleson Trail in Edgemont, South Dakota (one of the most beautiful rides you can imagine). This bike is well built and comes with full Deore. I was a day away from buying an Iguana or Tassajara when I went to another bike shop that had just built the 2003. There was no price on it but I saw the full Deore, so I thought I would ask. $399! Outstanding. Frame geometry is identical to Specialized, components are better than the igauna or Rockhopper and nearly equal the Tassajara (for $200 less). Full 6061 OS tubing. All in all there isn't a beter bike for the buck, especially for a newby.

Favorite Trail:   Mickleson Trail, Edgemont SD

Purchased At:   Bike America

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana, Specialized Rockhopper, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Bike Setup:   Stock plus, Speedplay Frogs

Submitted by Flying Desert Monkey a Weekend Warrior from Arizona

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Price, drivetrain, frame, looks

Weaknesses:    Forks

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the value. Lowest costing 27 speed I have found. Deore drive train is great for the beginning to intermediate biker. The Judy TT shocks have no damping so they can be a little bouncy. I have the preload set hard (I weight 225 lbs) and that reduces the bounce. Overall, great bike for the money. Similar bikes with a better fork will cost you about $550 and up.

Favorite Trail:   TRW

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   Giant: Yukon, Iguana; Haro: V3; Gary Fisher: Tassajara, Marlin

Bike Setup:   Stock: 6061 aluminum frame
Deore shifters, front and rear Derailleurs
440 Crank
Teckro Brakes

Submitted by Jay Etchings a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    Kickin Frame. Deore XT components.

Weaknesses:    The saddle is just plain lousy! Replace that instantly!
I pretty much warped the rear wheel the first weekend out.

Bottom Line:
For $400 buck this is a solid frame, its both BEEFY and LIGHT. The Judy TT is the waaaaay to spongy and will toss your butt at the first high speed downhill. This is a good starter bike and I have abused it hard and am still riding it. I will replace most of the components, but what do you expect for 4 bills.

Favorite Trail:   Still seeking

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Not Sure, Its an improvement over my old Fuji. But if I had to say its most like the Kona blast in design and components.

Bike Setup:   All Deore XT, except the crappy shift levers and bogus brake levers.

Submitted by Christos from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Strengths:    Decent price. Lasted with my weight for a race season.

Weaknesses:    the front and rear derailler, Shimano Avilio gets a thumb done. Handle bars are really wide, but manageable.

Bottom Line:
I just started Mt. Biking with this bike and started racing collegete level with it too. It is a great intermidiate bike for a guy my size (6' foot 240#). Basically, I rode really hard on it, beat the crap out of it and it served me fairly well. The rims suck and I would recommend getting some different ones. Bottom bracket is kind a cheap, at least i think so. Over all, I would have gone with a slightly better bike if I knew i was going to have this much funracing.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt, Mud, mixed with some single track