Raleigh M40 2003 Hardtail

3.88/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by silentknight0010 a Weekend Warrior from Eagle Point, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Tough frame with great welds; the 6061 alloy does wonders for weight without sacrificing strength. When properly tuned, shifts are both quick and crisp, and braking performance in many conditions seems to be on a par with many of my buddies' disk-outfitted rides.

It's taken everything I've dished out thus far without any major hickups, and I'm looking forward to another 5 years of similar performance.

Weaknesses:    For those who plan to attempt flight without bothering with all of that "Bernoulli" stuff, the stock wheels leave a bit to be desired. After bending a front axle and breaking a rear, and warping a rim, I upgraded to my current configuration.

Bottom Line:
Excellent ride for the price! A rugged frame outfitted with equipment that near perfectly balances quality and cost. Great for beginners, yet still a viable option for advanced riders seeking something to work with.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere that qualifies as being "out there a ways."

Purchased At:   Al's Bike and Hobby,

Bike Setup:   2003 Raleigh M40 - Series 6061 Frame, 20"
SR Suntour XC-50 63mm Front Fork
Shimano Acera ST-EF35 remotes w/ integral V-Brake remotes - replaced after wreck 2007
Shimano XT Front Derailleur
Shimano FC-C051 Crankset (28/38/48)
Shimano Altus Rear Derailleur
Shimano HG-50 7-Speed Cassette (11/13/15/18/22/26/34) - upgraded 2008
XRims 2000 series wheels w/ Shimano 8S Hubs - upgraded 2008
TekTro 835A linear pull brakes

Submitted by Bill Wood a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    Frame, chainring, cassette, gear ratios, disc brakes, fork is OK.

Weaknesses:    Rear axle broke, both stock derailers had sloppy shifting.

Bottom Line:
Good stock bike setup for price. Commute daily and took several multiday tours in desert loaded and towing BOB trailer with no problems. With a few upgrades bike has become a dependable expedition touring bike. Longest trip a week through Death Valley without any bike problems.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Mead

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   M40DX, XT derailers, Brooks saddle, Delta touring rack, Panniers, BOB trailer spindle, Armadillo tires, one-sided clipped pedals, headset extension, handlebar ends.

Submitted by David B a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2007

Strengths:    Solid frame, great ENTRY-LEVEL bike, tires are perfect for the weekend warrior

Weaknesses:    Nothing really for an ENTRY-LEVEL bike, but upgrades are necessary if you intend to abuse it.

Bottom Line:
Please disregard some of the reviews of this bike. If someone bought this bike for downhill rides or hard-core XC, then they either didn't do much research, have absolutely no idea what they are doing, or a combination of both. This bike is not marketed as a downhill racer, nor is it held out as a top-of-the-line bike. EVERYONE who knows anything about bikes would know this. If you are looking for a great ENTRY-LEVEL bike, then this Raleigh can take pretty much anything you can dish out. If you anticipate giving this bike some serious abuse on technical trails, then don't buy this bike. To expect this bike to perform like the ones that cost hundreds (or even thousands) more is utter foolishness! Some people who have posted reviews on this bike need to consult a cycling professional and learn about bikes rather than simply purchasing the cheapest bike on the floor.

I have had one for the weekend rides since 2004, and this bike gave me hundreds of miles of good service (and I weigh over 200lbs). Now I keep it as a spare for visiting friends and relatives, and it has never let anyone down. You can find these on ebay or craigslist and they can usually be purchased at a reasonable price. Again, if you are a weekend warrior who occasionally rides offroad, then this bike is perfect. Don't expect this bike to be more than what it is: an ENTRY-LEVEL bike. It deserves the highest rating for that category.

Favorite Trail:   Virginia Creeper

Purchased At:   Agee's - Richmond, VA

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3900, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Expedition

Bike Setup:   Stock except for gel seat, Shimano SPD pedals and a Cateye Enduro 8.

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Richardson, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    The frame kicks ass for the price. It is the same frame that they used all the way up through the higher end models. The saddle isn't bad either.

Weaknesses:    The crank sucks, the fork is a toy, derailleur's are cool for crusing around on pavement, the wheels are very week and heavy... basically everything really sucks except for the frame. But I knew all this going into the purchase... I mean it is a $250 bike, what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is if you gave someone this bike as their very first bike, it is a good platform to upgrade on. I love mine.

Favorite Trail:   GlenRose

Purchased At:   Bicycle Tech, Arlington, TX

Similar Products Used:   Marin, Schwinn, Trek.

Bike Setup:   XT Crank, Mavic 223's with XT hubs, Hydro LX disc brakes, Rockshox J1, converted to 9spd., XT derailleurs, XT cassette.

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Pelham, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    Very Strong Frame, hit 6ft drop to flat concrete and still rides Prefect.Ok forks

Weaknesses:    Plastic Pedals

Bottom Line:
This Bike is a real worrior for the price. i DJ with it every day and regulary hit 3ft drops. i am 14 and only 100lbs so this bike is awesome for me and would recomend it to an young ripper . this bike will handle you and youll break down before it does.

Favorite Trail:   The Pit

Purchased At:   Village Cycle

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Kimberly Akuna a Weekend Warrior from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2006

Strengths:    Durable frame, great for basic off-road trails

Weaknesses:    Too heavy for long city riding, difficult to carry up stairs, gears have to be adjusted regularly, plastic pedals

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike for someone like me without a lot of experience. As you spend more time on it, you realise its limitations, weight being number one. It's held up well, but only been seriously used for a year. This summer I will replace the tires and rims for weight's sake, exchange the pedals for clip-ins (the plastic teeth keep breaking and your feet slip) and upgrade the seat. All in all, I would recommend it to someone looking for a durable commuter bike who plans to take on light trails. If you plan on just traveling within the city limits, purchase something lighter. Also, it is really tough to carry up narrow stairways.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Vernon Trail, VA

Purchased At:   Mississippi

Submitted by Roger Barquero a Weekend Warrior from San Jose

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2006

Strengths:    This frame is one of the best I ever had on this type of bikes, it is strong and very reliable. I had a 100 miles tour and it did not let me down; actually I am planning another trip.

Weaknesses:    The bike it is a little heavy and I need to change some parts in order to get it ligher.

Bottom Line:
I recomend this bike to beginers that wants a very good bike that we can improved changing parts without expense a lot of money in the initial payment.
It is very good for climbing and fast in strigh roads.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain

Purchased At:   The Ases

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Disk brake, shinamo pedals.

Submitted by johnny sleaze a Cross Country Rider from yourtown, drunkenstate, usa

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    The frame never let me down, the disc brakes were amazingly easy to maintain. However, the disc brakes performed no better than V-brakes.

Weaknesses:    Everything else: The fork was too klunky and ill-performing (rigid would have been better!), the chainrings are pop-riveted, the rear derailleur failed right away, spokes and axle broke WITHOUT hard hits or jumping!

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike on the premise that I can upgrade all the inferior parts and keep the likable frame. I later found that I could have bought a Trek for the same price with much better parts, and a more honest mechanic.

With the stock parts, this bike would be all right for a beginner, commuter, or someone that seldom rides - not for me.

Favorite Trail:   guadalasco

Purchased At:   Charles A. James

Similar Products Used:   Many aluminum frames with good parts

Bike Setup:   M40DX: Suntour front shock, Tektro disc brakes, 7-speed drivetrain

Submitted by Juan Alvarez a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    I should start off sayin that I have the 05' model with the adjustable suspension fork, this thing is SWEET! Shifting is smooooth! This is the first time I one a bike with quick-releases and I'm lovin those. Also the first time I own a Disc-brake bike. Work great even with mud, wet, and they are noticable much quieter than rim brakes. Sturdy frame indeed. Lastly, the price was amazing! With all the high-end parts this thing comes with the price is incredible.

Weaknesses:    I've been doing some readong on the Kenda KLAW XT tires and I'm going to have to agree with what mose people say, they kind suck. They dont like wet roots. Also had 2 flats in one day on the rear, and a mysterious front flat that happened somewhere off-trail. The bike is a bit heavy but for the price I can live with it.

Bottom Line:
If you're starting off and aren't afraid of venturing into the Advanced/Expert trails, this bike can take it. WIth a few upgrades to Lighter parts, you got yourself one HEK of a bike!

Favorite Trail:   Oleta River State Park

Purchased At:   Knight Bikes

Bike Setup:   Only thing I've changed so far are the pedals, went to some strap-pedals.

Submitted by Sam Johnston from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    Frame, Seat, Rims

Weaknesses:    Derailleurs, Front Fork, Derailleurs

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to ride to work and school. I travel about 60 miles a week on it and haven't had to repair anything, just minor adjustments. I haven't done anything crazy with it because I don't think it would hold up. If you want something to ride around town and off a curb or two then it will hold up fine. Also if you are concerned about being too heavy for it: I'm 300 pounds and haven't tacoed the wheels yet.

Purchased At:   Buck's Bikes

Bike Setup:   Added a handy dandy computer but that was it.

Submitted by Joe a Downhiller from Simsubury

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    gears, good bike for the beginer XC rider. Also seat and frame.

Weaknesses:    Shocks, tires, fork, handlebars, derailers. Don't get this bike if u do jumps or drop 2feet or bigger. It can hold up preety well for a while but tires and handle bars will take a beating. Shocks are horible. this bike is onl;y good fo beginner XC!

Bottom Line:
Get this bike of your are just getting in XC biking
Don't get it if u freeride/jumps/downhill. Mine handle bars bent, bent back tire, and derailer snaped off just from doining little jumps. don't get this bike if u are a little extream. i mean it can hold up, i went off a 8 foot drop with it and it was fine, but after a while u will start to notice. Bottomt line good price for XC rider, not good for biker that what to do a little more that just sticking to the flat trail.