Mongoose Rockadile ALD 2003 Hardtail

4.33/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by nixk a Cross Country Rider from New jersey

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2008

Strengths:    The frame is very solid, and it rides great.

Weaknesses:    The front forks are not the best but they work for the price.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price but could use better parts such as front forks, derailers, and rims.

Favorite Trail:   Sitting Bear

Purchased At:   From A Friend

Bike Setup:   I got tired of getting stuck in the woods because of derailers so i made it into a single speed.

Submitted by Israel Duran a Weekend Warrior from Underwood, WA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2006

Strengths:    Ecellent price, decent set up, minimal adjustments

Weaknesses:    Fork (Mozo R-120a), weight

Bottom Line:
OK it's not the best bike, but not terrible either. But what did I expect for $330? Not a lot, mostly something for my gf to ride around on. That said, it has performed well. It is a bit heavy and the fork isn't worth much, but after much riding the components are finally going bad and its time to upgrade (fork and drivetrain) with some better stuff (Rockshox Pilot SL & ???? haven't decided). Overall I am very pleased with the performance for the price. If I had to suggest a bike for a beginner and this was my price range, I would go the same route. I give it 5 flamin' chilis because the performance exceeds the price.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever I'm riding

Similar Products Used:   2001 GT I-Drive 2.0

Submitted by Izac from NZ

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2006

Strengths:    strong frame and handlebars, very light and soft comg up bumbs on the uphill also

Weaknesses:    shocks-abit bouncy and when it compresses and releases it makes a long clunk like its hitting a metal stopper which it probably is...not very plushy even when preloader is set to softess.. also the cranks i had the left side rounded out in the first two months of use so i swap with a new one

Bottom Line:
this bike si overall very good value for wot u pay it for...the shocks could do with upgrading once u geting enough cash or feel the need but thats really about it..handles turns andfeels ballanced and controled good for beginners which dun want to do killer drop offs and massive jump

Bike Setup:   stock but with rst gila t-5 shocks and kona handgrips

Submitted by rob a Cross Country Rider from devon, south England

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2005

Strengths:    Very strong frame, reasonable forks though they lose it on the big stuff. I've upgraded everything apart from the frame and I'm nailing everything from tight berms, 4-6 ft drops, doubles and rooty mayhem; FAST! Very fast geometry however can feel squirrelly down fast downhill sections and a little compact for gettin back up those hills.

Weaknesses:    Budget forks and drivetrain but have been good for the money.

Bottom Line:
Excellent value for da bucks, good geometry, budget componentry and strong. It don't get better for the money.

Favorite Trail:   haldon

Bike Setup:   'Goose ALD frame, Rockshox Psylo XC fork, Hone crankset, Azonic bars, deore shifters, Maggie Julie brakes, Mavic 521 CD rims, XT hubs, xt derailliers. Schweet!!

Submitted by Val Vodonos a Weekend Warrior from Waterford, CT

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2004

Strengths:    Nothing could match the level of components at that price, not even on eBay.

Weaknesses:    Bar is a bit short and low. I will be swapping it for a wider riser alloy one.

Bottom Line:
Good bike out of the box but could use a few tweaks. Nothing that I found at this price offers disk brakes and Mozo fork like this one. Needs a better (riser) alloy bar since this one is steel. It was good enough to win over this picky buyer.

Favorite Trail:   Colchester

Purchased At:   Terra Cycles NL

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Sunfire, Trek 4300

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Chocorua

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    Great accesories on the bike.

Weaknesses:    Tire not good on jumps. Bends easily.Cost $200 to get a new rim (got double-walled)

Bottom Line:
Great all round bike. More than 500 miles on my bike now. One Flat tire from broken rim. Cheap for price but great value. I would still make the same decision if I look back now. Although, the gears could be better. Many problems with that.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new back rim.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    I researched for a mountain bike with diligence and I really liked everything about this bike. 6061 aluminum frame with TIG welds,Truvatix crank, Jagwire kevlar cables, disk brakes, Kenda Koyote tires, Alex SCE-17 rims, Mozo 120a front shocks, True technologies handlebars and seatpost. 24 speed Shimano Acera derailleurs and EF29 EZ-fire shifters (they do the job, but no bragging rights for high cost). Made in Taiwan, shipped from Taiwan. After I assembled the front tire, handlebars, pedals, and seat and buffed everything to a shine she looked outstanding. The pedals have an alloy axis that really shines, very nice. But the ride was smooth, quiet, with quick precise shifts. Handled my weight (190 lbs)without a problem.

Weaknesses:    None for the price. You could argue that the components are not the most expensive, so upgrade when they wearout. Not the lightest.

Bottom Line:
Mostly, this will be my commuter with trails on the weekends. I could not be happier. Get one of these bikes while any are still available, a great deal. You would have to spend two to three times the price before getting a bike noticeably better.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Creek

Purchased At:   Sunrise Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Peugeot road bike, Scwhinns, Rayleigh, Mongoose 2002.

Submitted by Michael Chapman a Weekend Warrior from Biscoe,NC,USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    Grips, Cables, Disc Brakes,

Weaknesses:    Weight, seat(nice looks, but hard as a rock), components,(but expected for price).

Bottom Line:
First and foremost I can't spell, so forgive me. Yes I owned one of the famous Trek OCLV carbon mountain bikes and it was a sweet ride, but I had a crash and one of the stays cracked. I repaired it and sold it for 400. But suprizingly I am very impressed with this Mongoose. It is heavy. Weighed with Berkly digital fish scales, it weighs 27lb. The Trek weighed 20, but with some carbon components and a lighter drive system, the weight would start to drop. Taken out to Wood Run Mountain Bike Trail System on the Uwharrie National Forest, in NC, I rode the Supertree trail. This is a simi experienced single track with creeks to cross and a lot of small gravel and larger rock. A lot of mud as we have had a lot of rain. The geometry of this bike gives a more comfortable ride I think than the Trek did. It allows me a simi upright ride but the ability to lean into it if I want to be more aggressive. I am not a racer, just weekends, and just for fun. But I think this bike can give both. The frame seems to be made well. And the disc brakes have given me no trouble. There is no drag for me anyway. They stop you on a dime. My only concern is when it comes time for new pads will I be able to find them? This bike is excellent for the beginer and weekend rider. For the pro, we all should know the answer to that one. But for the price I am very pleased. I plan to upgrade the drive system to LX if I can still find some 8 speed laying around and some carbon on the handle and seat post. Also, a different seat as the nice looking one that came on it is ruff on the rump. I hope this review is helpfull as I do not write them very often. Good Times

Favorite Trail:   Supertree

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods, Greensboro,NC

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9700 Carbon Fiber

Bike Setup:   Stock, nothing added

Submitted by Gary Leong a Weekend Warrior from Shawnee, KS

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    Price and disc brakes (front & rear). Relatively light bike.

Weaknesses:    rear deraileur. It doesn't pull on the chain properly. Chain becomes loose when in high gears.

Bottom Line:
Great priced bike. There is room for upgrades. Cannot find another bike below $300 that has aluminum frame, 2 disc brakes, shimano drive train and front shock.

Purchased At:   Dick's sporting goods

Bike Setup:   Currently stock. Will upgrade to shimano deore parts.

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2003

Strengths:    Better than expected Suspension, Strong frame, Nice disc brakes. Very nice bike for the price. Definatley a great deal. I've had it for about a week and everything has been great.

Weaknesses:    The seat is a bit hard at first but I got used to it and by tilting it forward a bit, I have made it better. The Drivetrain/Gears(Acera) are cheap and bottem of the line. The front derailer rubs the chain in all the way high or low gears sometimes and I've already experienced a little chain suck. I plan to replace the Acera components with LX in the next month or so.

Bottom Line:
For the price it is a great deal. The frame is strong so I trust it to hold my weight through some rough stuff. I would reccomend if you have some extra money to have the bike shop install LX before you buy it. The Acera works but it does have a few flaws. I suggest anyone interested in a fun bike that can handle some fun trails buy it. If you plan to be racing this probably isn't a good choice since it's a bit heavier than your average XC bike. It perfect for me since I ride about 10 miles of trails a day just for exercise and to relax. The seat is hard but nice. Everyone's seat preference is different so eventhough I think it is a bit hard, someone else could find it to be perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Powerlines

Purchased At:   Spin Cycle Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Univega Aluminum with Rock Shox Indy's, Trek, etc

Submitted by Bo Bryson a Weekend Warrior from New orleans, La, USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Frame strength and disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike! This is not a sale pitch but call The Pedal Shop in Gretna, La. You will be thanking me later.

Purchased At:   The Pedal Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche 2.0
Gary Fisher
Trek

Bike Setup:   The setup is great. I'm a fairly big guy and and this bike holds it on when it comes to riding I do. I am starting some adventure races and I researched the bike and everything was what I wanted. The Pedal Shop has free maintenance for has long as you own the bike.

Submitted by Joel Almoradie a Weekend Warrior from Woodside, NY

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Strengths:    Nearly everything

Weaknesses:    Tires feel like sliding when cornering at high speeds; shifting performance 3 of 5; average brakes; needs a better fork

Bottom Line:
Great bike for its price; needs tweaking in the drivetrain; after you've saved some, may want to replace fork with a better unit and that should make you happy for quite some time!

Purchased At:   Bill's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   as is

Submitted by Shiva a Weekend Warrior from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2003

Strengths:    After searching around and reading many reviews I decide to go for the Mongoose Rockadile ALD from a Dicks Sporting Goods store. I like the bike a lot. I rode it for the first time today partly on the road and partly on a simple trail. I enjoyed the ride and the experience and am looking forward to many more. So I have nothing but good things to say right now about the bike. I will post more reviews once I have had many more riding experiences to write about...

Two things: I did go for the $39 2-year unlimited parts and labor repair warranty which includes a 30 day and 2 free tune ups.
Also my ALD has front and rear mechanical disk brakes. I thought they were supposed to be better than regulars... but I found they are not as "instant" as the other bike I tried out in the store. My friend said that it is a good thing and allows you to modulate the braking... Any comments on this?

Thats all for now...
-SS-

Bottom Line:
A Good bike! Will post more later..

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Submitted by Lucas a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, Ne USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Brakes, Frame, Fork, and almost everything except the seat.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is hard as hell

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing bike for the price. I have read that some people have problems with the fork but if you turn up the preset you will never bottom out (trust me I weigh 205 lbs). The brakes are great after you learn how to tune them. If you replace the seat, this is one hell of a bike for a small price.
There is no reason to pass up this great deal, you will be as happy as everyone else that has bought this bike. I may upgrade the pedals but it does gome with some decent ones.
Dont pass up on this bike you will regret it.

Purchased At:   Bicyclebuys.com