Klein Attitude Comp 2003 Hardtail

4.69/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by Denis a Weekend Warrior from West Chester, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2006

Strengths:    Great frame warrenty. Actually broke my last '99 Klein frame, returned it to the dealer and got a '05 at no charge!

Very light weight...floats over trails!

Weaknesses:    have to spend about $500 to upgrade to decent components.

Bottom Line:
do it! If not for the awesome ride, do it for your country! And the kick ass lifetime warranty onn the frame...

Favorite Trail:   brandywine park

Purchased At:   Bike Line West Chester

Similar Products Used:   cannondale, trek,

Bike Setup:   :( Lacking disc brakes but would love to try someday....kinda dry in the summers here anyway

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Princeton, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2005

Strengths:    This bike fits like a glove. It accelerates instantly with whatever input I give from wiggling my big toe to stomping on the pedals. Nimble, responsive, light, and nice on the eyes.

Weaknesses:    The parts that came with the bike are a shame. 12 months later after replacing most of them I have one kick ass hard tail.

Bottom Line:
When set up right this frame will make you call in sick from work to get a couple more hours of riding in…

Purchased At:   Jay's

Similar Products Used:   Been a carbon fiber road weenie for way too long. My last Mtn bike was a early 90's 30+lb GT.

Bike Setup:   Lots of weight weenie parts. The Speed Dream wheels were worth every penny…

Submitted by aj yamamoto a Cross Country Rider from san francisco, ca

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight frame, low center of gravity, responsive, paint job

Weaknesses:    heavy bontrager parts, cheap LX front drivetrain

Bottom Line:
Probably the most agile, responsive bike I have ridden. Frame is nearly as light as the Schwinn Homegrown I used to own, but seems to handle better. This bike climbs very well. Everyone is surprised how lightweight the bike is considering most of my setup consists of stock parts. People are also surprised how comfortable and stable the ride feels.

Favorite Trail:   corte de madera osp

Purchased At:   avenue cyclery

Similar Products Used:   schwinn moab, schwinn homegrown, trek 7000, santa cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   monkey lite ds riser bar, shimano 959 pedals, thompson elite seat post and stem

Submitted by Yu-Ming Chew a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Strengths:    The Frame. The geometry is perfection for those who like an agile, quick handling bike that feels like its an extension of your own body.

The welds are immaculate and the paintjob and minimalist decals will still turn heads 10 years from now.

Weaknesses:    The very stiff seat stays mean awesome power delivery but can also be uncomfortable after a long day in the saddle. This was resolved by switching to a Koobi PRS saddle, which takes the edge off the trail buzz.

The House of Trek bontrager finishing kit is adequate but a frame that bears the Klein name deserves better.

The Bontrager Race wheelset is a complete pain - the rims are too thick and 1.6" commuting tyres would not seat properly no matter how hard I tried. On the trail, tyre removal was often a two man job and resulted in shredded fingers and blisters - not fun in the middle of a british winter. The freehub disintigrated after 1 years/2500 miles use. I've now replaced the wheelset with Hope XC/Mavic 717, I'm putting those bontragers on to my "beater" bike and will make sure that they spend the rest of their short lives in abject misery.

Its almost too beautiful to bash and you'll cry when you get your first scratches! I've put helicopter tape on all seat/chain stays.

Bottom Line:
The price above is in GBP.

I have yet to ride another MTB that handles or accelerates as well as the Klein. This is a light and fast XC race frame and perfectly suited for that type of riding. I don't think it would work well with anything other than a 80mm fork and the stiff frame could be a handful if you ride very fast technical stuff, so if you want a hardcore hardtail you'll probably have to look elsewhere. Ride it with big volume tyres (2.25 to 2.35) and a good saddle (Koobi PRS works for me) and comfort won't be an issue.

The 2003 specc is below par in comparison to the frame (though the Duke forks are suprisingly good). The 2004 range makes much more sense as the top end model comes with full XT and shouldn't need too much upgrading, while the bottom model gets you up and running with that georgeous frame with cheaper parts that can be slowly replaced. Otherwise, buy the frame only and build your ultimate hardtail!

This is a very special bike to me and probably the best £1000 that I've ever spent. It was my first bike since I was a teenager and has singlehandedly rekindled my passion for riding. I hope to still be riding this bike 10-15 years from now while other bikes (costing much more than the Klein) in my stable come and go.

Sadly, now that I have an FS bike for trail riding, I generally use the Klein as a pimpy commuter bike, which is a crime given its legendary trail handling pedigree. For the record, its also an awesome road machine, fit some skinny slicks and a rigid fork and you could ride a century no problem.

Value - 4 chillis - a lot of beautifully finished, high end frame for the money, but the tradeoff is mediocre components and finishing kit.

Overall - 4 - for me its perfection, but while the geometry cannot be bettered, not everyone will get on with the stiffness of a Klein and its not as versatile as some of the newer 100-125mm adjusted frames coming out now so I'll take it down a notch for that.

Purchased At:   Bonthrone Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Giant Terrago, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Road Setup: Pace RC31 rigid carbon forks, Hope XC/Mavic 717/1.6 Continental Sport Contact

XC Setup - stock, except wheels as above.

Submitted by Andrzej a Cross Country Rider from Warsaw, Poland

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Strengths:    The frame is awesome. I must say that I,ve never seen such paint job till I bought my Klein. Weight+stiffness+handling=perfect construction

Weaknesses:    -Wheelset-it just doesn,t fit this bike
-seat+seatpost

Bottom Line:
I can recommend this bike to anyone. Although I bought it after season I hope to have some fun before the winter comes... It is just worth the money, and to be honest even if it would cost a 1000$ more I would be still all for it. So all of You who still ride your old c'dales and others - get a load of klein and become a passionate just like I have.

Purchased At:   SkiTeam, Warsaw

Similar Products Used:   cannondale f900sl and others

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Willie a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis MN USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Strengths:    Fast as all hell, not as rigid as you would think, smooth, beautifull, perfect geomitry...

Bottom Line:
This bike rules. I am having problems relearning how to pace myself on this bike, it's so fast that I don't want to slow down. It can gain speed at nearly an out of controll pace. The flow of it's handeling is remarkable. You can lean out so hard on turns. I do have the problem with the tires mounting a little wobly, but it's no big deal, they still roll fast, and have great grip. I have only ridden hardtails, and this one has no rival!

Favorite Trail:   Battle Creek (St. Paul)

Purchased At:   Maple Grove Cycling and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   owned Trek 8000, test rode; Specialized Stumpjumper, Rocky Mountain, Gary Fisher, Bianchi

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Lorenzo from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    You pedal, it goes...
Ride quality...
Excellent at speed...
Very stiff frame...
Burning Poinsettia paint...
Manipulation of tubing...
Geometry...

Weaknesses:    Bearings in the hubs...
If air pressue is to high the frame seems almost too stiff...

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for an entire season, and I must admit I wasn't the hugest fan of it at first. It went like hell when you pedaled, and stopped on a dime. Would toss me around like a rag doll in a washing machine on downhills. I couldn't figure out why. Then I began to play around with the tire pressures on it, and holy crap... It's gone from an above average mountain bike to the best mountain bike I've ever ridden. Climbs like a rocket, screams on the downhills, and corners like it's on rails.

As far as the paint goes, shut up about it chipping. It's a mountain bike, it's not supposed to be perfect (better yet spend more time on it, and less time leaning it against the wall at the local 711). The tires, well they are fat, and sorta heavy... But they are super grippy and are awesome in slick conditions, I do however agree that these tires are not a good stock tire (doesn't do the bike justice)... The hubs, I had bad luck at first... Defective bearings, very few left the factory like that, I got two sets... since then they've been replaced and many km's have gone by without problems...

I listed bikes above as similar products used, but that doesn't mean they can be compared fairly. I mean it's a Klein, you buy this bike when you know about bikes... Let everyone else buy their cookie cutter bikes and be part of the 'in' group... and keep Klein our little secret...

DREAM

Purchased At:   BikeFit St. Catharines

Similar Products Used:   9.8, Scalpel, Big Sur, Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Full XTR kit

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, excellent shifting (when adjusted correctly), steers well, climbs great, good front suspension, nice paint job off sales floor.

Weaknesses:    Rims do not stay true very well, tubeless rims with tubed tires is kind of ridiculous, paint job is sensitive to the smallest possible twigs encountered on trail, the weight of the bike is not balanced very well for fast descents and log pile crossings.

Bottom Line:
This bike is very fast but has not lived up to my expectations when encountering down hill sections and log piles. The paint job has more chips than an econo bag of Doritos. The bike is too delicate for technical riding.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer/Yankee Springs

Submitted by Andrew Norrs a Weekend Warrior from Oberlin, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Frame is very nice. Internal routing of shifter cables good, and putting the rear brake outside (to allow for hydraulic brakes I guess) a nice touch for this year. Paint job great plus nice selection of components.

Weaknesses:    Tires and wheelset. (See mini rant below)

Bottom Line:

An excellent bike, with some well thought out details. Far more zippy than my last bike, (4500), and fits very well. Only downside is the gripe about the wheelset. The wheelset provided is the Bontrager tubeless race, with klein tubes and tires. First it is almost impossible to get this tire off the rim, and the big fat tires (Klein deathgrip 26-2.375) seem to make accelerating less zippy than other bikes. And the wheelset does not have disk compatable hubs. The plain attitude has disk compatable hubs. Why not the comp? So to get disks on this bike, I would have to buy a whole new wheelset as well as the brakes. So lose one chilli for value for that choice.

Favorite Trail:   Have not found one yet.

Purchased At:   Eddys

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Cannondale scalpel, Cannondale 600, Gary Fisher Sugar, Trek Fuel. Trek 4500, 2001 Attitude Comp.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from St. Charles, MO/C-Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Feels like it is on railroad tracks; the most responsive ride for me yet, although I have yet to try Ti or Trek's OCLV. Good all-around componentry opposed to an awesome derailer and mediocre brakes.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager saddle and seat post although they appear to hold up better than Icon stuff on my Treks, a SID or a high-end Manitou would be nice. I think it may be a little heavy for serious racers.

Bottom Line:
Worth the dollars man. A kick ass bike all around and it's got a stellar paint job. So far the Klein tubeless tires have impressed me immensely. I don't get to ride it as much as I'd like, but after riding my 8000 in CO for a while and going back to MO to ride the Klein, there is a noticeable difference in handling. It just feels right, ya know?

Favorite Trail:   too many to name

Purchased At:   Granada Cyclery in St. Charles

Similar Products Used:   00 Trek 7000, 00 Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   stock: RockShox Duke, LX shifters, XTR rear derailler, Bontrager Superstocks

Submitted by finn a Cross Country Rider from london

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Strengths:    frame

Weaknesses:    only had a few days... none as of yet

Bottom Line:
Regarding Disc brakes, I recieved this reply from Klein support enquiry...
'All current Attitude models are rear disc brake compatible. To convert, you will need dropout adaptive bracket (part#87855). This can be ordered through any authorized Klein dealer' (Eric Maves, Klein-Trek-Bontrager warranty/Technical Advisor.

Chillis for frame in particular

Purchased At:   evans

Bike Setup:   factory set-up, possible future upgrades... fox fork, saddle, disc brakes!!!

Submitted by Geoff a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    It has a light front end due to the geometry which makes pulling the front wheel up real easy. The craftsmanship on the frame is superior; the welds and the paint job are absolutely gorgeous! I almost don't want to take it off the trail. The wheelset is tubeless compatible. I find that pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    My Duke SL fork tends to squeak when I first start riding. An XT front would have been nice.

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike. I am 6'3" 190lbs and find myself very comfortable on the large frame. The geometry on the bike is wicked. A 71.4 degree head tube angle and a 16.4" chainstay length makes for a really light front end.

Who should buy this bike? Anyone that wants a good looking bike should. I haven't been off road yet, but I can feel the Attitude Comp begging to do some tight single track. This bike is all about the frame. If you want an excellent, high quality, lovingly made frame, then Klein is for you. I'm hooked.

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   '98 Thin Blue Line - Ozonepro.

Bike Setup:   Upgrades: Blue Race Face Next LP Crankset with bash guard. Selle Italia seat (can't remember which one.) Blue water bottle cage.

Submitted by Sulis a Cross Country Rider from Northants, England

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    Exceptional frame build, quality paint job, frame geometry, acceptable componentry

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, due to componentry, Klein Deathgrip tyres not my favourite

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike with a view to upgrading as and when funds allow. As a complete bike, it's a bit of a belter, and whilst the Rock Shox Duke forks are a little on the heavy side, as is the saddle and wheel set-up, it's still good value for money. The frame will hopefully last forever, as this is the main reason I bought it. Responsive handling is a blessing! Sleek looks. Should be a quality lightweight racing hardtail once improvements made. As a stock bike, it lends itself well to trails. Still early days yet, but i've ridden every day for the past week or so in a variety of different conditions. Looking good so far.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles, England