KHS Alite 1000 2003 Hardtail

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Jack a Cross Country Rider from Ontario

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2008

Strengths:    Frame and fork are the only decent things on this bike

Weaknesses:    Everything! Derailleur hanger is manufactured out of aluminum that is too soft. Even resting the bike on it will bend the hanger. I have gone through 5 of them so far!

Stock SRAM rear derailleur is made of plastic and will shatter the first time it sees a log or rock. I upgraded it to an X8 but i am still not happy with it. Avoid SRAM at all costs and go with Shimano. You will not regret it.

Stock Disc brakes are garbage. Tolerances are too tight. If you decide to tighten your quick release your brakes will start to rub while you are riding.

For every hour of riding you do be prepared to spend at least two hours fixing this pile of junk. I am pretty good at fixing bikes so I feel sorry for a person who owns this bike and does not know what they are doing.

Bottom Line:
Go with a better brand for an entry level bike. KHS needs to do something about the components they use on their entry level bikes. If you plan on doing any XC riding DO NOT get this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Rockcliffe

Purchased At:   Ski Pro Shop

Similar Products Used:   K2, Brody, Haro entry level bikes

Bike Setup:   Ski Pro shop.

Submitted by Cameron a Cross Country Rider from Socal

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2004

Strengths:    Nice light frame, comes stock with good tires, the front fork (Rock Shox Pilot C) is awesome, it takes on anything.

Weaknesses:    Paint does scratch a little easily, but that's just cosmetic. I've been having some trouble with my rear derailer but it isn't the stock one so I can't complain, it just needs a little adjusting. The back brake came lose on a long ride, so I had to stop and adjust it, no biggy though.

Bottom Line:
Bottum line is that this bike is really good for it's price, will take what you throw at it, it's an excellent choice for beginner to intermediate riders.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that is fun

Purchased At:   Switchback Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Kona Blast, Trek 4600, Trek 4900, Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   Pilot C fork, Shimano Deore rear derailers.

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Deep River, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    Kickass Shocks, brakes, gears, cranks,tires, and, good tough and light frame

Weaknesses:    ive only had ive only had one problem with this bike and that is the back rim got a little bent and the back brakes are'nt quite set up properly but was all easily fixable

Bottom Line:
this is an awesome bike for a beginer-intermediate rider. i have taken it off 4-5 foot drops and it took them easily and the front fork didnt even come close to botteming out. Recomended to anyone who wants to take it off anything big but not too big. The bottem line is it is an awesome bike with great value 10/10 in my books

Favorite Trail:   Deep River F-loop and D-loop

Purchased At:   Ottawa Cycle-logic

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock, brodie omega, and kona blast . i tried them all but in the end found that this was your best bet

Bike Setup:   kore handle bares, truvativ five d cranks, Awesome RockShox Pilot front fork, Powertools grips, hubs, and v-brakes, shimano shifters, and great panaracer fire xc pro tires,

Submitted by Mike Jensen a Weekend Warrior from Kunsan AB South Korea

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Strengths:    Quick nimble handling, light frame and mostly decent components. Great bang for the buck!

Weaknesses:    stock drivetrain components leave something to be desired. guess that is what i get for the price range.

Bottom Line:
great bike for minimal price. had problems with bottom bracket and headset seal right off the bat. were easily fixed with some oil and a little tightening. have had lots of great rides with minimal problems. great tires and setup for stock bike. if you are looking for a cheap low maintenance ride on a short budget this is the ticket.

Favorite Trail:   helicopter hill

Purchased At:   LBS Kunsan City

Similar Products Used:   specialized hard rock

Bike Setup:   pilot c shock, xtr rear der, pazazz seatpost/

Submitted by Nathan King a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, light frame.

Weaknesses:    Geometry is a bit wacky for me, and paint scratches easily.

Bottom Line:
I will only be reviewing essentially the frame, because I bought it from someone who had switched out all of the stock parts :)

Its very durable, very lightweight and great for XC racing. Only problems I had with it were that the paint scratches easily, and the geometry feels a little funny, but people have said that its just me.

If you're going to buy this, I would advise just buying the frame and building off of that. If you're serious at all about riding, you'll switch out the stock parts immediately :D

Very cost effective, to my understanding you can buy the frame for about 100 bucks, although I bought mine already built and brand new for 400.

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled

Purchased At:   MTBr Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, Mtn Tek Boulder, Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Essentially only original is the frame...XT rear D, LX front, Time ATAC clipless, Spec. Strongarm II cranks, Tektro V Brakes, Formula Wheelset, FSA Threadless Headset, Manitou Six Deluxe.

Submitted by Lazlo Perch a Cross Country Rider from San Ysidro, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Strengths:    Sturdiness of the frame, well thoughtout groupo, middle of the road components,(cost effective, but functional), Great geometrey for my build.

Weaknesses:    The seat was changed after the first ride. The WTB seat that came on the bike was very hard for me to get comfortable on. There are many seams that can rub me(you) the wrong way. Also the two raised pads aft were driving me crazy. I prefer rode type saddles.

Bottom Line:
This is my first AL frame bicycle. I like steel. But for the money I thought I would give AL a try. I have not been disappointed. The frame is 19". I have long legs, so I don't feel cramped when riding. I tested the bikes above and found that they all rode very much the same. The groupos on all the bikes were also very close. For a first time suspension rider, I did not want to spend too much in the event I was not happy with this type bike. My old bike was a GF HOKORIKO II, unsprung.
This bike is a joy to ride. It has allowed me to ride were I would never have tried before on my rigid bike. It climbs fairly well, but needs to kept on track as the front wheel has a tendency to wonder. The gearing is well suited for my area. I ride alot at the US/MEX. border which is very hilly. This bike flies down the trails. I sometimes get in over my head with the speed. But no serious spills yet. The U-brakes are great leap over the older canterlever style. They took a bit of getting used to. This bike also loves the single track. It has no problems getting me in and out of the mant tight spots along the way. The Judy fork gives just the right amount of cushion.
For those of you who are looking for a great bike for a great price try out this KHS bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Border Patrol Jeep Trails

Purchased At:   Marine Corps Exchange, SD

Similar Products Used:   Tested: KHS Alite 500, GT(similar type set-up), Cannondale, Haro, And GF.

Bike Setup:   Judy TT fork, Mid-level Shimano derailers, Power Tools accessories, No Name AL rims, Performance MTB Pedals, Selle saddle, Sram shifters.

URGENT: 2010 KHS Alite 1000 or 2010 Giant yukon?

So I'm going to buy a new bike until the next week and i want to know which of this 2 bikes is the best: 2010 KHS Alite 1000: [URL="http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_1000_10.htm"]http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_1000_10.htm[/URL] 2010 GIANT Yukon: [URL="http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en- ... Read More »

2004 KHS Alite 1000 vs 2008 Jamis Trail X 3.0

Which bike is better if both are priced at 300-325, the Jamis is only once used but the KHS has a nice set of manitou forks. Help me out and let me know what yall think. Thanks.Read More »

KHS Alite 1000?

Anyone have an opinion/review on the KHS Alite 1000 they would like to share? Out of all of the bikes I've looked at in the local area bike shops this seems to give the best bang for my buck at $499. Would be using this to learn the ropes of XC/trail riding here on the Oregon coast. Thanks for an ... Read More »