K2 Zed 3.0 2003 Hardtail

4.58/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by aaabronco a Weekend Warrior from Richmond,Va

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    Shocks are really good, really light and smooth

Weaknesses:    Shifting

Bottom Line:
Really good bike

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by Daniel a Downhiller from Colombia

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    tires, light weight, fork, stabilitty

Weaknesses:    breaks

Bottom Line:
for the hard, muddy, fast and dirty off road from colombia is perfect its response for everithing is better than i thought and the fork is very cool for a low price the worst thing are the brakes but you can change them for a disc set easilly

Purchased At:   e bay

Similar Products Used:   2000 bianchi stx

Bike Setup:   is a good bike for climbing and better for downhill

Submitted by Stacey a Weekend Warrior from Missoula, MT

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    tires, agressive stance, light frame for price. agile.

Weaknesses:    shifter and derailer

Bottom Line:
Great ride for the price. I like it more than my husbands new Diamond Back. I haven't ever had my own bike besides a silly purple thing from Best years back. I just wanted to get something to ride with my husband on the weekends and now I find myself wanting to ride a lot more. I will be keeping this frame to build on. Perfectly what I was looking for and more.

Favorite Trail:   Rattlesnake trailhead to Franklin Bridge

Purchased At:   Pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   2006 DimondBack

Bike Setup:   stock ??? plus upgrade on seat on handle grips

Submitted by Jeremy Browne a Weekend Warrior from Provo, Ut

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2004

Strengths:    Rock solid, decent climber, great tires.

Weaknesses:    Funky shifters.

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike in over five years. I bought it to ride to and from work (2.5 miles as the crow flies), and do some trails on the weekend. It has done a lot more. I'm only 5'6", so I bought the small frame, so I can stradle it without turning into an alto.

Shifting is quick. Tires are knobby.

I just got back from a mostly downhill trip from Sheep Creek to Strawberry Lake in Utah, and the Zed3.0 handled well going down steep hills, though the washboards made me wish it wasn't a hardtail. Going uphill, the gears are so low that I'm never out of the saddle.

I got it for $550 - if you find it for under $300 (as some on this board have), BUY IT.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Dirty

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Stock (soon to add clipless pedals).

Submitted by Jaime a Weekend Warrior from Portugal

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2004

Strengths:    I think this bike had one of the best price/quality relations when I bought it a year ago. Very good looking frame with quality welding on the joints. Nice set of components (ritchey girder wheelset, rear deore derrailleur).

Weaknesses:    Acera brake levers and shifters (don´t like the looks and the the fact that they are one piece)
Manitou Six Sport fork (although this is in part my fault, because I thrashed it by making a bad landing after a small jump)

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the price. It has a great frame in which you can build. I took it on some rough rides and it had an excellent response (4-5 hour rides on rough terrain). I´d say for this price range is one of the best bikes out there.

Favorite Trail:   Anyone

Purchased At:   k2 dealer

Bike Setup:   Original setup (except the fork, which now is a Marzocchi MX Comp Air)

Submitted by dan K a Weekend Warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Strengths:    Very good specs for the price. Has been durable so far. Rides lighter than what I thought an entry level bike would be.

Weaknesses:    So far I can't tell of any

Bottom Line:
This is my girlfriend's first mtb. She didn't want to spend a lot and find out she didn't like riding off road. So far, she really likes the bike. The frame fits and it's a good quality build. You could actually upgrade the frame and not be putting Pirelli tires on a Pinto.
I have taken the bike for spins and like it. Yeah, the cheapy Shimano shifters are funky (could plan to replace in spring) but my girlfriend has not complained at all since we adjusted the seat and bars to her liking. Best of all, we could always return it to REI if the think turned out to be a stinker even though she we got 20% off retail.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   stock except for Slime Lite tubes, seat bag, bottle cages and xt skewers (took them off my other wheelset, woo).

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Lake Hughes

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2003

Strengths:    strong frame , good shimano system , good shocks , good wheelset , cool paint job

Weaknesses:    brakes stop you but could be better

Bottom Line:
strong and lite for long crosscountry rides and tires grip great. good for an intermedite crosscountry person

Favorite Trail:   sawmill/bear creek

Purchased At:   cycle path

Similar Products Used:   rocky mountain soul

Bike Setup:   factoy with my K2 speed pedels

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    Frame,tires ( Velociraptors),seat, disc brake ready (frame),color, price.

Weaknesses:    Pedals,rims. But what do you expect for an entry level bike.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike for my sons birthday. I found myself taking it on my regular rides and was surprized on how well it performed, I had to tune the front and rear derailers but now its shifts
fairly well. You can't find a better bike for the money /275.00 out the door you'd have to be a fool to pass this one up. It would make a great backup bike for very few bucks..He can grow into this bike and upgrade as needed. So if you're looking for a first bike for xc riding this is a good start.
You can build on this frame...

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Trek fuel 90, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Bone stock.

Submitted by Jay Humpherbad a Weekend Warrior from Granville Mass Duh

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    e3verything especially shocks

Weaknesses:    pedals are a little weak but still good

Bottom Line:
This bike kiks and i love it it is the best bike I ever used

Favorite Trail:   Pipeline

Purchased At:   tag sail

Bike Setup:   awsome

Submitted by Jay Humpherbad a Weekend Warrior from Granville Mass Duh

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    e3verything especially shocks

Weaknesses:    pedals are a little weak but still good

Bottom Line:
This bike kiks and i love it it is the best bike I ever used

Favorite Trail:   Pipeline

Purchased At:   tag sail

Bike Setup:   awsome

Submitted by Ryan Seaver a Weekend Warrior from Ketchikan, AK

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Strengths:    Sweet frame, and shocks.

Weaknesses:    Shifting could be nicer.

Bottom Line:
Just started out, i love the bike, it was the right price, and im for sure getting more than what i put in. Id say its the right bike to buy if you want to get into biking, its been wonderful for me.

Favorite Trail:   Loggin Roads

Purchased At:   REI.Com

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Brian Holben a Cross Country Rider from Roanoke VA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame, nice Shimano components (Deore rear, Alivio front) tires, rims. Great Manitou front shock doesn't freeze up or lose quality in cold and wet. Tektro alloy brakes work well in wet and mud.

Weaknesses:    Saddle leaves you a little sore, derraileur needs frequent adjusting.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Excellent for a rather new rider like myself. Great components and frame will keep you going for a long time in any weather! This bike is definitely competition ready!

Favorite Trail:   Carvins Cove singletrack