Jamis Durango SX 2003 Hardtail

4.44/5 (16 Reviews)

Here’s a real deal mountain bike that will get you there and back: fast. Offering everything you can possibly need at a price you can feel good about. With its’ new for ’03 manipulated 7005 aluminum frame design, a full Shimano Deore 27-speed drivetrain, and a magnesium-light-but-Reverse-Arch-stiff Manitou Axel Comp fork.

Submitted by WannaXbe a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2014

Strengths:    Deore Components 3X9, shift so smooth and with out a miss. The Avid Brakes are great and stop on a dime. Who needs discs!!!

Weaknesses:    The seat is not good but who buys a bike and keeps the factory seat. I swapped it out before I ever rode it. The factory shock is a little squishy but not too bad.

Bottom Line:
I really like the bike and buying it used 11 yrs later for 80.00 bucks was a steal. The wheels where worth that. My first real MTB to take on single track and love it. This would be a great bike for anyone looking for a hard tail for trails and single track. light weight at just over 26lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Binder lake Missouri

Purchased At:   craigs list

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Nevada

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore XT 3x9, avid brakes, alex rims, Ahead head set. trek anatomic seat ritchey tires.

Submitted by todds7 a Racer from Oak Harbor, Wash., USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    Light and strong! Great commuter! I don't know why there isn't a "commuter" choice under "type of cyclist"; Surely plenty of people commute on mountain bikes.

Weaknesses:    ... not at four times this price. For under a grand there's just nothing to carp about! And that's a really good thing.

Bottom Line:
I'm a six-foot, 200-lb. commuter. I wanted something that could jump curbs while being pretty quick, durable, inexpensive and low maintenance. Bingo, the Jamis nails all of it. I used to get flat tires all the time, but these knobbies are actually a good urban tire, raising the tube a little bit out of harm's way. I bought a gooey innertube and fiberglass tire armor, but haven't even needed them. I see other popular brands around town and I'm amazed at what JUNK they are compared with this Jamis, which is an awesome frigging bike. I am completely delighted with it. I'm sure there are nicer bikes, but I have no need or desire to pay more.

Favorite Trail:   Home to work M-F

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   You'll laugh. Similar in that it was a bicycle. A 1980 Greenbriar Free Spirit 10sp., forest green :) The original rotary bell is worth more than the bike :) But hey it got me into more serious biking, and it got me to and from work for years. You may have it if you can pick it up. I'm on Whidbey Island, Wash.

Bike Setup:   Manitou front fork, shimano derailers, Alex rims w/ Panaracer rubber, Avid brakes, nice rail seat, brand effaced (ebutted?)

Submitted by genghis khan a Cross Country Rider from spencer

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    DURABLE
looks
forks
triple walled rims
disc brakes

Weaknesses:    seat
pedals

Bottom Line:
This bike is so durable. I beat the crap out of it and it survives. I got this bike cause i shattered 2 rear derailers on my GT and the third one was beant. The frame beant, both rims beant, and i bottem out easily with the cheap forks. So i got the jamis and no problems with it yet. I climb a 5 set of stairs with it by just ballin into the stairs and its fine. its fairly light and and shifts very smoothly. the triple walled rims r nearly impossible to bend. plus this bike is a very sharp looking bike.

Favorite Trail:   Howe Park

Purchased At:   secondhand dealer

Similar Products Used:   GT Agresser 07

Bike Setup:   Jamis Durango Sport SX 06'
took my GT seat and put on metal spike pedals

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Alpine, TX

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    alex rims have been good
manitou fork is fine
shimano components are good

Weaknesses:    Bad saddle

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed this bike; pretty light and takes abuse fine.

Bike Setup:   added xpedo clipless pedals

Submitted by Joshua Mallery a Cross Country Rider from Roseville Ca

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2005

Strengths:    Very durable,reliable, and very light. Front shocks are great for cross country riding. Very smooth riding

Weaknesses:    Tires are ok but not great. need to be lighter with better traction for dry dirt trails.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great for any type of rider. Frame and stock components are very durable and will get you around any trail you wish to try.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Bay/ Forest Hill Loop

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose, and GT Timberline

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore are the stock components, have upgraded to LX Crank and XT everything else.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia, PA USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Strengths:    Great Price. Looks awesome. Decent suspension, disc brake compatible. Highly upgradable.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the price. It takes a beating and doesn't have any problems. I would recommend this bike to the weekend warrior or new rider that doesn't have a lot of money to spend.

I have used it on the street and trails and it responds very well to both. The gears shift flawlessly. I am very critical about products, but this one is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana, Raleigh M60, Raleigh M80

Bike Setup:   All stock except Ritchie Pedals.

Submitted by Bob Zuber a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame, little heavy, but has drop outs for disc brakes. Plan to upgrade in the future. Good components overall, frame geometry is comfortable, better than some of the more production models.

Weaknesses:    Shifting good be better with a load. Seems to change once the load decreases. May just need further tuning. Little heavy, I was hoping to get a bike below the 30 lb mark, this one came in at 30.5. So it is close. Axel fork, I may in the future upgrade to a Rock Shock fork.

Bottom Line:
This is a reat bike for the money, I hope to get my wife a similar product when she advances beyond her Trek 820. I should also beyond that I got it on sale at Performance. The bike has the right components, a great frame, and about the right weight.

I plan to take it on the Virginia Creeper, and the New River Trail. I am put in another review aftr those rides.

Bottom line, I would purchase it again.

Favorite Trail:   Virginia Creeper

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820, Trek 4500, Giant Iguana.

Bike Setup:   Stock, 7005 aluminum frame, Shimano Deore drive train. I have added Performance Forte Pro Clipless pedals, Profile Design bar ends, and a Cateye Enduro computer.

Submitted by Chachi from Erie, PA, US

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Strengths:    Seems like a great all around bike. I ride alot of varying terrain, from paved trails to back-woods trails, and it fits all nicely. The ride is smooth and the bike fits me well (the dealer wanted me in a 21 in but I declined and went with the 19 in) My last bike was a 21 inch and I knew it was too much bike for throwing around in the woods. So at 6 ft 1 in, and 190 lbs, I knew I would like the mobility of the 19 vs the 21. That just proves you should not believe everything the salesman tells you!!

Weaknesses:    I took the pedals off of my last bike and puth them on it... much better. I swapped out the seat for a softer tate seat, ALOT better!! And the fork suspension is a bit weak for my weight/ riding style. It seems as though it sags under normal pedaling, then when I lift up the front end, or jump, I have to lift out the slop too. I have re-adjusted it 1,000 times to no avail. It still wants to droop, even at its stiffest.

Bottom Line:
I like it. It does what I want it to do, and goes where I want to go. The price was decent as other bikes set up with similar equipment were more. (on average, $50-$100 more) So I feel like I saved a little green, and came away with a pretty nice bike. If you want a good all around bike for a good price, this bike will provide.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek, GT, Giant MT bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock now except for the pedal and seat swap. I am sure it will need a stronger suspension fork, as I am getting sick of the slop.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from B-N, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2004

Strengths:    Nice overall bike for the bucks. Got of the Internet from someone who was overstocked. Jamis has great bikes for the buck. Full Deore, nice geometry, fork is nice, and the overall setup has a more expensive feel to it. Top tube is a little shorter than their upper models, allowing slightly more upright position. Great for dabbling.

Weaknesses:    Three words: WHeels, Wheels, Wheels.

I have never had a rear wheels that was "true" in the rims and spokes, then look down at the cassette and see it oscilating left to right. I'm not sure if the bearings suck, its off center and everything else is messed up, or if the entire thing is crap. I will ride them until they break, then go with something else.

Oh, and ProMax breaks. However, they're better than the wheels.

Bottom Line:
Can't beat it for the price!!!! I use it as a winter bike so as to not have my prized steel road bike take on the "Midwest Blues" (ie corrosion). Very comfortable overall. Heavy for a hardtail, but LIGHT for a $200.00 hardtail (retail is $630.00). Nice cosmetics, also. Paint is better than $1000.00 bikes. Cheap is great!

Similar Products Used:   You name it, I've probably ridden it.....except ti ($$$$)

Bike Setup:   Stock with Ritchey stem (longer)and straight platform pedals.

Submitted by Thom a Weekend Warrior from Wayne, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    Can you get a better NEW mtb for less than $400? Don't think so! The components on this bike are great...shifting is very smooth, brakes are responsive, frame is strong yet light, even its looks are killer - silver w/ dark grey. I don't know how they can put all of this together for WELL UNDER 5 benjamins (this could have easily and actually has sold for over $550 elsewhere) ~ but I ain't complainin'!

Weaknesses:    Figure on buying new pedals b/c you probably won't like the stock - heavy, "toe" clips, and ugly. Other than that...nothing (for now at least).

Bottom Line:
If you want the most bang for your buck...look no further! My friends (who know a lot more about bikes than I ever will) still can't believe this deal. Knowing you're getting so much for (comparatively) so little, just makes you smile and thank the Lord! For anyone out there whose a beginner or somewhat experienced but not wanting to break the bank, the 2003 Jamis Durango SX should top your list! Bottom Line: Praise Jesus!

Purchased At:   a cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Kona Fire Mt. and higher, Trek 3700s and higher, Jamis Durango SX Sport, and a couple of K2s, etc.

Bike Setup:   ATAC allium pedals (buy them new on ebay...@$40) and took off the reflectors and heinous green florescent warning stickers.

Submitted by James Slaughter a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    Inexpensive, lots of potential, smooth shifting and breaking

Weaknesses:    A tad on the heavy side, toe clips instead of clipless pedals!!!???

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great value for the beginner and somewhat experienced biker. I think for the money you can't get much more. I like the fact that the frame and fork have disc brake mounts. I took it out once so far for a VERY vigorous test and it definately passed!! Buy this bike because the upgrades are limitless!

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   Bike Route

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rainier, Gary Fisher Marlin

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by JOHN THOMAS BRODERICK a Weekend Warrior from ARiZONA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    EVERY THING YOU DISH OUT

Weaknesses:    STOCK SEAT CLAMP SUCKS !!!

Bottom Line:
MY BIKE IS PRETTY MUCH SET UP FOR HARD CORE STREET WITH 26,24 INCH RIMS I DISH OUT ANYTHING I DO AND IT TAKES

Favorite Trail:   nothing but street

Purchased At:   FRIEND HOOKED ME UP

Similar Products Used:   KHS

Bike Setup:   MARZOCCHI X-FLY 02,RACEFACE,ARROW,MAXXIS,XT EVERYTHING,
EASTON,AND AZONIC MAVIC

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth and easy gear transition, beautiful and sturdy frame, great geometry (love the way i sit in the bike), good responsive brake system, very useful preload adjustment on the front shocks and pretty sticky tires

Weaknesses:    seat's a bit harsh on the valuables and front shocks could be a bit stiffer

Bottom Line:
Giant smile on my face. I found a bike with everything I wanted on it and for a great price. this bike handles great on very rocky terrain, is quick and reponsive on single track and climbs with ease. I punish it 3 times a week for 2 to 3 hour intervals and aside from the mud it stsill looks and preforms as it did the first day. This is my second bike and I am a poor college student. I think this bike is perfect for anyoone in my situation because you get alot for your money.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt at Zilker