Jamis Durango Sport SX 2003 Hardtail

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Serious off-roaders on a budget should look seriously at Durango Sport SX. Just check out the spec and the aggressive tubing manipulations on that heat-treated aluminum frame. Top shelf technology has just never trickled down this far before.

Submitted by genghis khan a Cross Country Rider from spencer

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    DURABLE
looks
forks
triple walled rims
disc brakes

Weaknesses:    seat
pedals

Bottom Line:
This bike is so durable. I beat the crap out of it and it survives. I got this bike cause i shattered 2 rear derailers on my GT and the third one was beant. The frame beant, both rims beant, and i bottem out easily with the cheap forks. So i got the jamis and no problems with it yet. I climb a 5 set of stairs with it by just ballin into the stairs and its fine. its fairly light and and shifts very smoothly. the triple walled rims r nearly impossible to bend. plus this bike is a very sharp looking bike.

Favorite Trail:   Howe Park

Purchased At:   secondhand dealer

Similar Products Used:   GT Agresser 07

Bike Setup:   Jamis Durango Sport SX 06'
took my GT seat and put on metal spike pedals

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Alpine, TX

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    alex rims have been good
manitou fork is fine
shimano components are good

Weaknesses:    Bad saddle

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed this bike; pretty light and takes abuse fine.

Bike Setup:   added xpedo clipless pedals

Submitted by Joshua Mallery a Cross Country Rider from Roseville Ca

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2005

Strengths:    Very durable,reliable, and very light. Front shocks are great for cross country riding. Very smooth riding

Weaknesses:    Tires are ok but not great. need to be lighter with better traction for dry dirt trails.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great for any type of rider. Frame and stock components are very durable and will get you around any trail you wish to try.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Bay/ Forest Hill Loop

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose, and GT Timberline

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore are the stock components, have upgraded to LX Crank and XT everything else.

Submitted by Allan Caldwell a Cross Country Rider from St. Johns' Newfoundland, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    Almost evry thing, especilly the frame

Weaknesses:    the saddle isn't great and the pedals are the toe clip type.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike, it's very similar to the giant iguana except lighter and cheaper. relly great bike for a beginner and strong, good parts. Buy it buy shimano pedals. ride alot!

Purchased At:   Fun'n Fast

Similar Products Used:   Old rusty creature

Bike Setup:   Stock, exp. WTB saddle and Shimano clipless pedals

Submitted by Jill Raspier a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    Great frame without being heavy, awesome tires....I'm not a small chick (6 feet and 200lbs) and this bike can definently do some damage.

Weaknesses:    The seat! OUCH!!!! Don't come down off the jumps too hard boys....

Bottom Line:
Good bike for Weekend Warriors...I love the fact that it's so light but yet can take some serious damage and still keep going. If you're gonna do any upgrades, start with the seat!

Favorite Trail:   anything in the Kananaskis

Purchased At:   Eurotech Cycle

Submitted by Jeff Rago a Weekend Warrior from Longview, Washington, United States

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Strengths:    Durrable frame. I'm a 220lb guy who enjoys a nasty single track. The adjustable front shocks are a bonus for different types of riding.

Weaknesses:    Need to upgrade the saddle. There is plenty of cushion but I prefer the saddle with the open slot in the middle.

Bottom Line:
I truly believe this bike would be a perfect machine for the advanced rider or the want a be pro, weekend warrior like my self.

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   Copeland's Sports

Similar Products Used:   compatible with my wifes rock hopper. maybe even better.

2003 Jamis Durango Sport SX VS 2000 Trek 6500

So I Have my 2000 trek 6500 that has the stripped out BB shell, just ordered a threadeless BB and should be here maybe today or maybe tomorrow, but i was looking in C-list, and found a 2003 Jamis Durango Sport SX for a good price, since the trek has the stripped out shell im thinking of buying th ... Read More »

Singlespeed 2005 Jamis Durango Sport SX

Here is my project for this bike this season, hopefully it will stay. I wanted to go singlespeed to give it a try, didnt wanna spend much of any money at all, and hell i needed to replace the casset so I figured now was the best time! This is my 2005 Jamis Durango Sport SX which I converted t ... Read More »

Jamis Durango Sport SX or Specialized Rockhopper A1

I am looking at the above bikes. My budget is approx $500 and I have found both at my LBS for around $500. I am pretty much a Newb, but after researching a bunch on the web, it looks like the Rockhopper is more popular. I will mostly be using it for transportation to/from work. Mostly streets or ... Read More »

Suggestions for Jamis Durango sport SX

Hey all, Getting into bigger and bigger drops lol, starting to get to about 4 feet... well right now my jamis durango sport SX has only 80 - 100 mm of travel (Manitou Six). I know im getting to the limmit of this, and id love to think about mabye a shock upgrade on the bike (Hopefully going ... Read More »

Hardrock Sport Disc vs Durango Sport SX

Okay, I've narrowed it down to two bikes. Keep in mind I would bother to get a Gary Fisher Tassajara if it wasn't going to be $200-300 more than the ones in the title, just because that bike felt so damn good to ride. The bikes in the title are all about the same price range. I'm not looking fo ... Read More »