Iron Horse Warrior Disc 2003 Hardtail

3.86/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by canadakicks a Downhiller from Vernon, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2011

Strengths:    Strong Frame, fun to ride, quick (compared to my dh bike), peddle like a mofo! Fork, derailleur.

Weaknesses:    Fork, lack of travel

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike on and off for about 6 years now. It was my first bike that had disc brakes and a fork that actually worked. Over the past six years I've ridden it around town, up trails, down simple singletracks, and even at the local bike park for a whole season of abuse (Silverstar!)One winter I left it outside the whole season and the fork froze and blew a seal from just sitting there, never bothered getting it fixed and now it's rusted. It only moves 2 inches, but I lucked out on this one. Unlike most manitou six's I've heard or read about, this one has not snapped under abuse. I've taken 3 foot drops to almost flat with the bike, done the table tops on rockstar at silverstar along with the many brake bumps that develop up there. All in all I would say this is a pretty solid bike for the price that was payed. It's still going today, and I ride it to work or just around town. Planning on getting a fork that works and riding it at silverstar again.

Favorite Trail:   Sh*taker & Morning sickness, Nelson, BC

Purchased At:   Sport Chek

Similar Products Used:   Brodie hardtail bikes.

Bike Setup:   manitou six, unsure of treads(very bare), hayes mx2 brakes, shimano xt derailleur.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Sudbury

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    Brakes work well, I just replaced my first rotar, but truthfully I had been putting it off. The frame must be strong, I hit a truck atournd 40 km/h and the frame is ok, the shocks, front rim and 3 days of memory were a right-off but the frame is fine and relatively light (I think),. THe price is great for what you get. (I love the SRAM grip shift, I had shimano rapid fires previously and I really find the grip shift intuative when you shift and I have yet to have any problems with it, great component set(SRAM 5.0).

Weaknesses:    The seat hurts if you ride for a few hours, and I think a longer frame may give more control but I'm relativly happy with it.

Bottom Line:
Great value and tough as nails. I probably put 4-6 hours on the bike a week during ths summer and it has treated me well. The trails in Sudbury can be a little tough on components and so far so good.

There are some small stuff that will bug you with time. The WTB grips slip and need to be replaced with something that locks (hard to find as the grip shift shortens the length of the grips required... find some you like that you can cut down. Clipless pedals would go a long way. If you want to get into riding it's a fantastic place to start.

Favorite Trail:   Laurentian (Blue or white trail backwards)

Purchased At:   SportCheck

Similar Products Used:   Tried some of my buddy's bikes, Konas, Rocky mountains etc... it's not a $2500 bike, but if you were going to spend <$1000 this bike is alright.

Bike Setup:   Front forks, hub and rim are not original... I have a '05 set of Rock Shox Judy SL ... They work well.

Submitted by brian a Downhiller from st.johns

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Strengths:    Nice fork, grips , and handel bars

Weaknesses:    The end of frame cracked, the derailer cracked off, rims bent quickly, fronk brakes hardly work and both brakes squeek badly

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike if you just ride around and do smooth things, not recomended for dh racing or fast pace downhill.

Favorite Trail:   sketchy downhill

Purchased At:   sports check

Bike Setup:   sports check put my stem on upside down

Submitted by Ty a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Frame, price, good beginner bike for XC...should definately be upgraded if you plan on doing any actual riding

Weaknesses:    BB, SIS front derailleur, entry level shimano integrated shifting/braking system

Bottom Line:
I just started riding a little while ago so I took some time trying to find a decent bike reasonably priced....et voila I ended up with Ironhorse. For the price Ironhorse spec's out their line with good components for the price. The Warrior disc is a "decent" beginner bike however both derailleurs should be replaced if you do any intermediate riding. BB sucks, but I don't have to $$$ to upgrade yet, so I'm makin do with the Truvativ Isoflow it came with. (Ironhorse had a problem with the crank and had to replace it on almost every Warrior disc) For the price it's a decent bike, but I would highly reccommend the Warrior Expert or the Warrior Race if you plan to do a decent amount of riding. If you plan to keep this bike for a while, upgrade the BB,derailleurs, and shifters and you should be alright (hydraulic discs would be a great add on too, but not neccesary) For $400 CDN it was a good deal, but I wouldn't pay much more (you can get the Warrior comp with a fully Deore system and a nicer fork for only $300 more) All in all a good beginner bike....for a while

Purchased At:   Sportchek

Similar Products Used:   Canadian Tire Special :P

Bike Setup:   Stock except for some Maxxis Ignitor tires and some Specialized Nimbus Slicks for the city

Submitted by Dylan a Weekend Warrior from Saskatoon Sk, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    It's good as a first bike, it will let you know verry quickly if you should have spent more money.

Weaknesses:    Hubs, tires, dumpster food fork, reeeeeeeeeealy flexy, cranks last ~200km, bb lasts less.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking at buying a bike in this price range, STOP and think about what your intentions are. If this is destined to be some dust collector in your garage, which you dust off and mabee put a hundred kilometers a year on it, go for it. Mabee strap it to your motorhome and "toodle" around the lake a couple times. I have 100 km days on trails, so you can immagine how much longer this bike will last for you. If you think you will be taking it to the local trail system 3-4 days a week or commute on it more than 5km a day.... better dig a little deeper into your wallet and go to a real bike shop. On a positive note, the alivio stuff is alright for a long time, and the brakes are amazing seeing as they are down to $80 a set new online! The BB and cranks are junk, and will only last for soggy legged <150 pounders. I literaly chewed through two sets, which were properly tourqued and maintained, in two months after buying the thing. I had to find an even cheaper bike to use while this thing spent 1/3 of it's time having warranty work done. It does'nt help that the techs at Sport Check have no real experience either. So many times my bike went in for something and they were kind enough to go through the bike and "tune it up" dreaded words coming from someone who hand only flipped burgers and stocked shelves before landing a "bike tech" job. I even seen a bike assembled out on the floor once that had the fork installed backwards..... yeah, that was their "teck"!!!!! Bottom line - if you don't intend to get into mountain bikes, or intend to get another one in 6 months, go for it. My room mates t-line 125 was only a hundred more, and it is VASTLY superior (no disc brakes, and his frame is worth building up). I think that it is naive to think you can get into a bike with disc brakes for $400 and not hav an absolute pile of trash. But hey, it was'nt that long ago that I did'nt know any better either. It's only salvation is it's price, so.... four chilies on the value for the guy who wants a cool looking bike (but does'nt ride much), but overall, there are much better bikes for a similar price witout the discs.

Favorite Trail:   Banff water tower trail.

Purchased At:   sport check

Similar Products Used:   Old brc cro-mo fixed up, 04 warrior sport, Oryx t-line 125.

Bike Setup:   Nothing stock survived besides the frame- Deore/td17 wheels, magura julie brakes, R.F.evolve isis, xt cas, bontrager race post, selle trans am, continental verticals, black elite, carbon bar, etc...... all of which is going to be stripped, and outfitted with cheap stuff for commuting to university (can't leave anything nice at school and expect it to be there when you return)

Submitted by Allan a Cross Country Rider from Sarnia Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2005

Strengths:    it has solid frame (yet relativly light), good fork, good rims, xc brakes are amazing,

Weaknesses:    original bottom bracket sucks, tires, and paint should be clearcoated

Bottom Line:
great bike to get into xc, new tires are practically necessary after about 3 months, the paint scratches of like nothing and paint transfers are a hazard of locking up, but keep well maintained and it is a blast to ride.

Purchased At:   Sportchek

Similar Products Used:   none in pure xc

Bike Setup:   hardtail, shimano IG bottom bracket, TREK FUSION comp, TREK lights, Eggbeater Candy's.

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2004

Strengths:    Quality of frame, and some componants, such as disk brakes(Hayes MX2) and front fork (Manitou6). Reasonable weight before adding accessories.

Weaknesses:    Seat, overall weight after adding accessories.
Paint scratches easily, no protective clearcoat. (However, flat black LOOKS very cool!)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to ride to work year round, and ride on weekend trails. I love it so far. If you're looking to jump or downhill, you might go with a higher quality unit but you'll definitely be paying more. I paid $425.00 CDN.
I had a problem with the outside front caliper magnet that holds the outside front brake pad in place, it shattered prior to me taking delivery of the bike, not sure how, but Hayes sent me a new caliper under warranty. Great customer service!!If you buy one, check the brakes for this problem.
Shifters are ok but front and rear derailleurs could've been a bit better quality. Description on website does not match final product in store.
Adjustment from retailer store was poor, I had to bring it to a better shop for tuning but runs like a dream now.
Excellent value for money, highly upgradeable, an all around great bike. I can put up with creaks and low performance of stock pieces as the price point was right. It's good to know that once stock pieces wear out, better grade units can be fitted.

Favorite Trail:   Yet to be discovered

Purchased At:   SportChek - Scarborough

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ frt/rr mudguards, lights, pump, etc. Bike is fairly heavy now all things mounted.

Submitted by derrick prest a Downhiller from canada ont port colborne

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Strengths:    disc brakes are awsome front forks are alright rims are ok but if u doin drops big enough to bend them u shouldint be on a hardtail, ok beginner bike

Weaknesses:    the crank isnt very good u cant even put a bash gaurd on it and it creaks like hell, derailer ghost shifts alot and the chain slips i dont like the geomatry on it (hurts the balls if u get pitched over)

Bottom Line:
its good for bigners, alright for urban if only the geomatry was alil differnt the bike would be awsome could use a litle bit better crank but all in all a good starter bike

Favorite Trail:   autobahn

Purchased At:   sport check st catherinse

Similar Products Used:   first bike

Bike Setup:   everything is stock

Submitted by Cleatus from Saskatoon

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Good price not bad components

Weaknesses:    The Seat sucks!!!

Bottom Line:
Upgrade the stock fork and you will have a sweet setup. It will stifin the bike up alot more and make it handle better!! Great bike well worth the money!! For what I paid for it you cant get anything else compariable to it for that price. Upgrade the fork and your still money ahead!

Purchased At:   Sport chek

Similar Products Used:   Other bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock with Manitou Black fork

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from NE

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    Strong Frame
Disc Brakes(altough they are only mechanical)
Can take a beating
Looks good (black version)

Weaknesses:    Rear Shifter
Front fork isn't the best
Worst Handlebars
Hard seat
Grips are bad, but new ones
Could be lighter

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice bike, it performs well on XC and is well worth the money. I reccomend it but you may wany to upgrade alot of the components over time.

Similar Products Used:   K2, Specialized, Tomac, Schwinn, Gary Fisher, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Max ironMash a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Strengths:    durable frame, rims, very good disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    the frame could be realy lighter, afwull seddle(koski contour) makes your bum get another other then physiological shape. you'd better not to shift front and rear gears together.

Bottom Line:
good bike for this price, you probably won't find anything like this. but somethings are realy strange: same size frame from Merida(Taiwan brand)is much lighter, at leat you feel the differences. bike goes not so fast, i changed tires to slick, anyway I cant push it go faster too much. mountain/hill climbing for unknown reasons was harder. I found that cones were overtighten(bike was stopping itself going downhill). i didn't expect that :o so was forced to check evth. bymyself. what I like - excellent handling and braking. and u can always count on frame.

Favorite Trail:   Rouge Park, Don Walley

Purchased At:   Sportchek, Yorkdale

Similar Products Used:   merida dakar(cro-mo frame)with acera setup. merida striker SX/alivio

Submitted by Barry Fisher a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    Great frame, Judy TT good solid shox,discs work real good, light frame can take a lot

Weaknesses:    stem and seat post, no brand name

Bottom Line:
so far havent had to many probs, the brakes and shox work really well,and the frame can take pretty ahrd hits and drops, looks mad a great hardtail, good as a startign point

Favorite Trail:   red creek

Purchased At:   rebel

Submitted by Tyler Long a Cross Country Rider from London Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    the fork is great! although the preload on the fork i think is broken after only 2 days of use...o well, i havnt really found any real problems with the bike it works great

Weaknesses:    Only the preload. and the disc's take along time to wear in.

Bottom Line:
All around a great bike and a really strong frame with good welds and for 799 canadian dollars a great bike for the money with Judy TT forks and full Alivio with Acera shifters it is great

Favorite Trail:   Fanshawe Lake