Iron Horse Maverick 2003 Hardtail

3.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by garnetmatthews a Cross Country Rider from Selkirk,Ont,Canada

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    a nice ride when the bike was new

Weaknesses:    terrible cheap parts that need to be replaced months after I purchased this bike ie- pedels,seat,brakes

Bottom Line:
I consider this bike to have been a huge disapoint,and not worth close to the 500+tax I paid.While rideing my maverick 6.3 yesterday up a small hill the frame came apart right beside the bottom suspension at the welded spot wtf! by-Jason Schurr

Favorite Trail:   Selkirk Provincal Park

Purchased At:   sportchek

Similar Products Used:   I've rode plenty of cheap garbage before,and some where bikes ha ha

Bike Setup:   full suspension, heavy as hell cruser

Submitted by The Reid a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Strengths:    Great Price, reliable, strong light frame, OK driveline.

Weaknesses:    Sram grip shifters are too sloppy. Shifting somewhat unreliable.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been a reliable companion for five years. I ride it probably just about 600 miles a year, 70-80% on pavement. This is a great urban/suburban getting around Mt. bike. The MTB Tires have been great. I ride it kind of hard. I'm 6'1" and 205 lbs. I've ridden my whole life. I'm strong and I pedal hella hard, I take it off small drops all of the time up to 20", My bike has seen every kind of weather and it is always reliable. Anyone experiencing much breakage on this bike is not using it for its intended purpose. Sorry but you wont get a new downhill racer or dirt jumper for $300-$400. This is money well spent for a sick little bike that will fly down dirt/gravel paths, jump a s---load of curbs, perform adequately and never requires much attention.

The RST fork is pretty swag though and the shifters and deraulier could also be a good upgrade.

Purchased At:   Joe's

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Stock '03 w/ SRT Capa forks, Sram Shifters, SR Suntour crank. Pedal upgrade.

Submitted by themuffinman a Weekend Warrior from vancouver,BC,Canada

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2008

Strengths:    ummm.... i guess its light... and atleast it came with mechanical disc brakes instead of v-brakes. Did survive the DJ park

Weaknesses:    DERAILLEUR HANGER!!! wow i hate that hanger... it snapped 3 times on me in 6 months.. now im getting a new bike, DeVinci Hucker, anyways, the hanger is pretty weak because the drops i did were PUNY.

Bottom Line:
This bike is good for what its catergorized as, a recreational CROSS COUNTRY bike. Yes, a CROSS COUNTRY bike. It woun't break as long as you stay away from landings to flat and big DJs i guess. And, it wasn't worth the money. But i'll give it 4 chilis for overall because it was meant to be used for xc, not djing.

Favorite Trail:   north shore

Purchased At:   Sport Chek

Similar Products Used:   All the other bikes i've ridden are way better than this bike

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Anonymous a Cross Country Rider from San Ramon, CA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
Maverick Trail DX 2006 frame broke in half, manufacturer refused to honor warranty -- lucky didn't get seriously hurt!!!! spoke & chain broke within the first month -- recommend NOT PURCHASING THIS BIKE OR ANY BIKE FROM IRON HORSE -- company does not stand behind their products -- out the $530+ paid for the bike

Purchased At:   530.00, purchased at Sport Chalet

Submitted by Kirk Konya a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2005

Strengths:    I can get lots of air with it.

Weaknesses:    I don't know what this word means.

Bottom Line:
Sonya, whats a bike????????????

Favorite Trail:   Wegdewood Ravine

Purchased At:   Sportchek

Similar Products Used:   I just learned how to ride a bike.

Bike Setup:   Sonya.

Submitted by Stefan Djukic a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2005

Strengths:    PRICE!!!!!!!Frame, The fork is decent. The tires are also decent for the price. Thats about it.

Weaknesses:    THE CRANKS!!!!!! they BROKE off in 3 DAYS!!! The brakes. Thayre relly crappy.

Bottom Line:
ITs ILLLL!!!

Favorite Trail:   hate trails. I STREAT11111

Purchased At:   Sport Cheak. (Good Service)

Similar Products Used:   GT Palomar.

Bike Setup:   WTF is this part for???? >_<

Submitted by stevenen ebounast a Cross Country Rider from toronto

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    none this thing sucks all, piece of junk cranks wheels and front fork.

Weaknesses:    its cranks break in a matter of weaks . the front fork is so soft that when i sit on it it goes down. the wheels are just all round crap for trails and or mud/sand. junk shifters too!

Bottom Line:
dont buy this piece of junk!

Favorite Trail:   don valley