GT Zaskar 2003 Hardtail

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Andy a Racer from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    this bike is by far the stiffest frameset anyone could ask for. It handles 30mph fireroads like my Ellsworth Dare and, at 3lbs flat, lets you climb past the competition as if you had gerbils in your bottom bracket.

Weaknesses:    STIIFFFFF! unless you have a nicely calloused pelvic bone or a 100mm fork, this frame is for RACERS ONLY. After three hours of trails, you'll be so jostled you'll wish you had a kidney belt...

Bottom Line:
BUY THIS IF YOU RACE XC!!! that is, if you can find one built before GT went to Pacific, and went to trash...

Favorite Trail:   Bogg's Mountain

Purchased At:   private, as a frame only

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpy M5, RMB Vertex 50, Schwinn Homegrown Scandium hardtail

Bike Setup:   '96 Zaskar Pro, Skareb 80mm, full XTR, carbon cranks, carbon flat bars & stem

Submitted by Victor Tesar a Cross Country Rider from Pretoria, South Africa

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2005

Strengths:    Great handling, climbs and descends like a rocket. Very stiff and race like geometry which is awesome for flying down winding single track.

Weaknesses:    Not any really only that my back tyre (Tioga blue dragon) has worn out after 1600km and I can't switch tyres due to size spec.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended for the price and the components that come standard, a great buy.
The thudbuster suspension seat post gives me the ultimate ride for all occasions, fast and great handling for races and comfortable for long epic rides.

Favorite Trail:   Fountains

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Hot Spots Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Scott and Raleigh hardtails

Bike Setup:   Full XT components, XT v-brake with SDG saddle, eggbeater OE pedals, DT XR 4.1 rims, Rocksox duke SL plus thudbuster seat shock.

Submitted by jure myint a Cross Country Rider from SLOVENIA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    stiff, incredible fast, real xc machine

Bottom Line:
zaskar is the without any doubt one of the best hartails available on the market- for my stile of riding the best!!!
The bike climbs so easily and fast that sometimes I get a feeling that someone is pushing me uphill. :>
After a year of riding this bike I must say that my next bike will be again zaskar, maybe in some lighter version of frame tubing and with fox f80x fork ahead.

I hardly recommand this bike to anyone who does not want to spend a fortune on quality race bike. When purchasing this bike, the only reason for bad results on races would be you...

bye

Favorite Trail:   around slovenia

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   schwinn moab, trek 8500, merida magnesium

Bike Setup:   crossmax SL, xtr crank, selle basanno mission saddle, ritchey wcs parts, RS sid team

Submitted by Hawk a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    Frame Geometry. Easton tubing - very light frame (made in USA). Handles excellent both in climbing technical trials and downhill.

Bottom Line:
Climbs like a scared monkey. Handles way better than some of the best full suspension bike out there, even in some technical downhill. Rather ride this bike than my full suspension bike which has some of the top of the line components. Rode this bike in a 50-mile bike race with no problems. Probably one of the best hardtail bike out there when it comes to XC racing. If you like a true XC bike that will take you to the finish line, this is the bike for you. The only question is, do you have what it takes to take you there?

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trial

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Easton Carbon fiber CT2 seatpost & flathandlebar. XT Crankset. XTR Front & Rear Deraulieur. Crosslink Wheels w/ Airoborne skewers. Specialized Rockster S-Works tire (1.90. Odi Grips. Sachs 99 Chains. Salsa Moto Ace Stem. Koski Seat

Submitted by Ari Kantrowitz a Weekend Warrior from Washington DC by way of NY, NY

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Strengths:    Love the geometry, although it took a little getting used to. The bike handles like an F-1 car, feels likes it on rails. Very stiff and responsive, and it climbs very well. Great component set for the price, except for the rims.

Weaknesses:    The stock rims are great for flat xc, but dont stand up to abuse very well. I dented my rear rim early on, and have since upgraded

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, great geometry, good component set.

Favorite Trail:   potawatomi trail

Purchased At:   Bicycle pro shop

Similar Products Used:   Old Diamondback Apex (steel and heavy as h*ll), stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   stock except for Mavic rims, Easton EA50 stem, Selle Italia saddle

Submitted by Constantine Peters a Racer from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Super Light, climbs better than a mountain goat, Amazing set up for the money.

Weaknesses:    Wheels - Syncros side walls were machined very poorly. I had to sand them down right off the lot. I will be replacing the wheels very shortly via warrenty. And then go from there.

Bottom Line:
An absolutely Amazing Bicycle. So Light and So fast. Geometry is amazing. I garuntee that you can not get a better bike for the GT's msrp. If you can, please Email me, I would love to hear your try. I will be sticking with this frame for the rest of my life. I just love this bike. Any racer lokking for a new ride, check it out and good luck finding one. Any weekend warrior with some cash had better not look the other way either. Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle (south)

Purchased At:   Allis Bike & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000, Schwinn Homegrown Comp, Cannondale F2000

Bike Setup:   Stock - SID Race, Ritchey headset, Ritchey pro stem, Syncros bar and post, SDG Landing Strip saddle, LX Hubs, Syncros Rims, Tioga tires, LX Crank, LX FD, XTR shifter/Levers in one(so cool), XTR V-brakes, XTR RD, XTR casset, Ritchey V2 pedels

Submitted by Samir Sharma a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    If geometry was it - then this bike is it. The frame gets you low and stretched out - a littl strange at first, but it begins to fit, and fast.
Good XT components on this bike, and it will run smooth and long, in all sorts of conditions. Strength of the frame and the bike overall is excellent.
Comes highly recommended to those that are after a good ride for climbing and decents on some steep grades.

Weaknesses:    What happened to GT? A Schwin company now? Gone under? Too bad.
This may not be the fastest bike for sprints, or remarkable acceleration.

Bottom Line:
I originally bought the GT Pantera for myself on one of my birthdays. The guy at bike shop didn't let me take it out as it was raining - something about it raining. The frame sizing and gemometry was the same as the Zaskar. I rode that bike about 20 miles a day - everyday. I upgraded to the Zaskar two years later, and ported all the parts over. Beyond being able to climb (close to vertically), the power, stability and just fun of this frame set was magical. Have ridden Specialized, Giants and Rocky Mountains. Something about this frame just seems to fit! Not to mention the fact that this may not be the lightest bike out there, but it is light enough and makes up for any weight problems in strength. I had a dent in one of the tubes for about a year. It never failed. The bike was finally stolen - that was the only way I would part with it

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper

Zoom 7000 Handle bar
Shimano LX Center Pull Brakes Front and Rear

Submitted by koh leewei a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    this bike rocks

Weaknesses:    does not provide xtra seat

Bottom Line:
i m sexy !

Favorite Trail:   under my girlfriend house ( bukit Batok)

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Lance Stephenson a Racer from South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Strengths:    It has a very stiff frame which aids in climbing fast and effortlessly. It carves singletrack like it was on rails. the handling is so precise, it has intuitive handling. Its a cm shorter than my fisher a raced last year but feels just as long but handles better. The geometry of the bike is spot on. I think thes should be the new industry standard!!!!!! If i ever ride any other bike again at'll have to have this exact geometry.

Weaknesses:    I haven't discovered any yet. there is so much detail in the workmanship in this frame,it puts all the other manufacturers to shame,maybe thats its weakness.?????

Bottom Line:
The bike is so good, i came from a gary fisher sugar(soft tail) which i thought was pretty nice, then i got on the zaskar. Hell it climbed better, turned better, descended better and felt better under me. The bike inspires confidence. You can throw it around and just know it'll come back to you if the back end steps out. The bike is my new standard, no other bike is worth looking at for me now unless is has the same geometry!

Favorite Trail:   Grabouw