GT Avalanche 3.0 2003 Hardtail

Submitted by SkinsFan a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2010

Strengths:    BOMBPROOF Frame...!

Weaknesses:    low end components

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2004 Gt Avalanche 3.0 size small the rear derailleur didn't shift half the time. The chain slipped and the chain rings have chewed my legs 3 times! (happened on arrival...it happened A LOT) The fork (xc60) bottomed out twice while landing, and bike flipped upside down...my head didn't like it :( this was probably due to adjustment though. That frame through a thousand crashes is still dent free! It is indestructible. Although all that happened i still loved the bike.

Favorite Trail:   ???

Purchased At:   Copeland's

Similar Products Used:   motobecane 600ht (also sucks haha)

Bike Setup:   ...Motobecane 600ht above was b4 upgrading it is now a good bike cheers!

Submitted by bigCgt a Cross Country Rider from ontario

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame, decent brakes, gears work fine, what to expect for the money spent

Weaknesses:    crank (replaced it due to flexing issues) pedals (bearings lasted a month then replaced with wellgo steel pedals)

also changed out the rear cassette and chain along with the crank swap

Bottom Line:
Im a big guy at 285 pounds and this bike has held up good so far other then the above mentioned parts that i replaced. I take it off small drops, ride over curbs, take it in trails with lots of big roots.

I think it is well worth the $470 canadian I paid for it.

Favorite Trail:   any locally

Purchased At:   sports store

Similar Products Used:   old khs alite 1000

Bike Setup:   stock except more road friendly wheels, truvativ 5d crank, alivio rear cassette, chain for a 27 speed (narrower then stock)

Submitted by jay taylor a Cross Country Rider from liverool

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2008

Strengths:    great for jumping solid frame bosss suspension

Weaknesses:    not very fast

Bottom Line:
a really great bike for going round a quary or woods with mates really good for jumping a proper experiance of a gt mountain bike this is defintaly the bikefor me aged 15

Purchased At:   jak parker

Similar Products Used:   mongoose fireball 08

Submitted by Jean a Cross Country Rider from Hamburg Germany

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2008

Strengths:    Very good quality for the price.the Gearing & rapidfire is excellent after alittle time and setting it up like the brakes.Adequate Kenda Tire

Weaknesses:    Major Weakness are the pedals replaced it at the store!was a freebie from the owner (value at the store 25€ ;)
not all screws are black small detail but it bothers me. :(

Bottom Line:
The Bottom Line is i spend 400€ for the Avalanche 3.0 and about 250€ for tuning it(35€Handlebar, 2x16€ breakpads,20€ breaklever, 30€ dirtgards,2x 50€ Mountainking 2.4, 16€ seatring & more than 30-50€ for div.small parts Style and light)!
And you know what?... It was worth it, it was a cool bike to start with now its my dream bike (tought i will replace a few screw for black ones!;) ).
I ride mostly street and a little bit DH & FR and for my skills now its very good it takes drops from 1,5 meter without even complaining;) ! perhaps not a "pro" bike but its still fantastic for the price and even better tuned!!!
Greetz Jean

Favorite Trail:   Street & DH

Purchased At:   Mink´s Bike Shop HH

Similar Products Used:   Felt Q200, Felt Q220,Felt Q620,GT Outpost

Bike Setup:   New BLACK Pedals, DH Handlebar, Avia Break lever, Koolstop breakpads, teflon coated breakwire, Continental Mountain King 2.4", SKS Removable Dirtgards front and Rear, Style seatring alu.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Athens, Ga USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    Solid Frame, decent Brakes, relatively light

Weaknesses:    Low quality front and rear dérailleurs, low-end front fork, flimsy rims, plastic pedals, low-end crank

Bottom Line:
A great novice bike, but take it on some trails and you'll regret not getting a nicer bike. This is my first (serious) bike, and its been great so far in getting me to and from class, but not so great on the trails. The crank was stripped in a matter of a month, the dérailleurs are low-end (both front a rear), and the front fork is too loose to use off road. I snapped my rear axle after a year and got a nicer double-walled rim. Originally I was planning on slowly upgrading this bike, but I think I'll just buy a Trek 4300.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo State Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Boulder

Bike Setup:   New double-walled rim, Crank Brothers Candy C SE pedals, new cassette

Submitted by craig branderhorst a Cross Country Rider from london, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Strengths:    the frame, the rims,

Weaknesses:    the shifters suck, and the shocks

Bottom Line:
its a good bike for crosscountry it works great except for the shifter and shocks

Favorite Trail:   any trail works

Purchased At:   cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   trek 6800

Submitted by JL Wright a Cross Country Rider from Little Rock, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent frame; it can take a pounding. Decent starter wheels and tires.Suspension on front fork is great for up to medium trails or obstacles (pops curbs like a charm).

Weaknesses:    Shifting is a little squirrelly till you get it broken in good, then it settles in nicely. A lot of people point out the dérailleur; I haven't had any trouble, but like I said, I broke mine in first. The saddle was really the only thing I didn't like about this bike.

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of research before buying this bike. The one constant I saw was that many people who raved about this bike admitted to buying more expensive bikes, then missing their old GTs. If you are an urbanite like I am, this a great deal. If it gets ripped off you're not out thousands of dollars, and it's more than capable of handling city travel like a charm. Off road it's just as formidable as higher end bikes, plus GT has a 5 year warranty on the frame (it used to be lifetime). I live in an area where I commute to work by street on my bike, then I can hit numerous trails scattered throughout the city afterwards (they don't call Arkansas the Natural State for nothing). The Avalanche 3.0 is more than capable of handling either terrain. This is a great bike for the entry level novice to the expert who may not want to risk their high end, super tricked out bikes on everyday travel.

Favorite Trail:   Little Rock

Purchased At:   Lewis and Clark Outfitters

Bike Setup:   Basic setup, but I added some clipless Shimano SPD pedals.

Submitted by james crosby a Weekend Warrior from manchester

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    brill frame , nice bike, good springy suspention, smooth ride,good grips, good reliable gearing,

Weaknesses:    pedals but i replaced then for some DMR V8 pedals and they are ameasing

Bottom Line:
good bike worth the money and makes riding bery fun

Favorite Trail:   delamere forest

Purchased At:   evens cycles

Similar Products Used:   avalanche pro

Bike Setup:   exelent

Submitted by Cameron Stokman a Weekend Warrior from waikite valley, rotorua, NZ

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    everthing

Weaknesses:    Chain fell

Bottom Line:
It is great appart from chain witch is a peice of ?{*&%@##$!!

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Bike Vegas

Similar Products Used:   Boulder by giant

Submitted by Dean Badeaux a Cross Country Rider from Kennewick, WA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    Bullet proof frame, easy on the wallet, surprizingly decent tektro disk brakes, a great starter bike for xc.

Weaknesses:    Plastic Pedals, plastic front derailleur, chain stick under load sometimes, Suntour forks sucks! I broke the right side pedal in half the first summer I got it.

Bottom Line:
I've thrown this bike down so many mountains in the last two years and it just won't break. (not that I want it to). The frame is undeniably bad a**. Supper rigid and climbs better then any aluminum hard tail I've ridden. But the stock parts have got to go.

My bike setup hasn't failed at all. And not even GT's top-of-the-line hardtail comes even close to my bike's specs, and it only cost me $450 in upgrades off ebay to make it so.

I recommend this bike to any body who enjoys xc on a decent hard tail for a good price.

Then only reason I won't give it the highest rating is becuase of all the work a had to put into upgrading, and the crappy forks, pedals, and derailleurs that come stock.

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse maverick 3.0, diamondback response sport

Bike Setup:   X.0 rear derailleur, rockshox pilot 100mm, xt front derailleur, xt shifter/brake combo, avid bb7 disk, race face evolve DH crank, new wheel set.

Submitted by Sam Scavo a Cross Country Rider from Old Forge, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    Good frame,almost identicle to the higher end models, i have upgraded a good number of components.

Weaknesses:    crankset wore out in a years time, came with cheap wheelset, only 21-speed i upgraded to 24

Bottom Line:
my avalanche is a 2004 i doubt there is any differance, but it is a good bike for the college student who wants a quality bike that they will want to up-grade in the future.

Purchased At:   Cedar Bike

Bike Setup:   mavic x139s, shimano deore components, sdg saddle,avid bb5,

Submitted by Hugo Burt-Morris a Weekend Warrior from sydney

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2006

Strengths:    it is great for xc and just messing around

Weaknesses:    The pedals will fall apart and break if you treat them badly and hit them against rocks n stuff

the suspension could be improved if they had a more expensive price it is a bad suspension if they had a rockshox or something it would be gr*

Bottom Line:
NEEDS better wheels and suspension it is gr8 otherwise

hopefully the giant ac i am getting will be a bit better

people that have just gotten into mtbing should get it

and expeirience shouldnt buy it
get a better bike like the santa cruz v10 or gt it 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   manly dam, cascades

Purchased At:   KOM cyclery in cremourne

Similar Products Used:   APOLLO RADIUS

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2006

Strengths:    Thought it had a great price,and not being that experienced in mountain biking, looked like a good bike to me. Has a great frame just like everyone else says, and I have had no problems with any of the stock equipment ont it. I don't push it extremely hard so everything on it is good for me. (even the plastic pedals)

Weaknesses:    None for me so far. Maybe I have just been lucky so far.

Bottom Line:
So far I love the bike, I have had no problems with anything on it, and don't think I will. I don't ride anything crazy, just some local trails and street riding. So everything on it works great for my riding. If your looking for a bike that looks great and works good and not gonna hammer it, then this is the bike for you. And if you find it at the right store on sale you can pay less then I did for it, and I thought my price was good.

Favorite Trail:   any trail works