Giant XtC 1 2003 Hardtail

4.86/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Micha³ a Cross Country Rider from Warsaw Poland

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    stiff,fast,great geometry,lightweight

Weaknesses:    didnt find

Bottom Line:
I wanted to upgrade my previous bike and I bought this frame at a local giant shop.the frame was so awsome that i decided to build a new bike on it.i have one bike and i use it for offroad trips,xc racing,riding in my city and mountains.i have two wheelsets and two forks.
my bike climbs like a goat and descents well too.because the frame is very stiff the comfort is not big.i use wide rear tire to improve it.

if You want an allround hardtail this frame is for You!

Similar Products Used:   xtc is unique

Bike Setup:   XTR with rocket shifters,sid wc,v-breaks

Submitted by Mike Slovikosky from Reston, Virginia

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2005

Strengths:    I got this bike for breaking my Giant Rainier Frame. The bike is super light and very good for just about anything. The frame has extra supports welded in where the Rainier didnt. I have slapped a Dirt Jumper II fork onto this and it works fine. Hasnt broken or anything.

Weaknesses:    ... Havent found one yet... And hopefully i wont...

Bottom Line:
Awesome Bike although i got it for free, Giant was a little slow on getting the frame to me although i cant complain about that, i thought they would send me a Rainier again, can handle anything you throw at it including dirt jumps, XC, and trials. I love this frame and it is a must have for any serious XC rider.

Purchased At:   Giant Waranty

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rainier, Specialized Hard Rock, and others.

Bike Setup:   XtC1 Frame, Dirt Jumper II Fork, Rhyno Lite Front Wheel, Mavic X317 Rear Wheel, XT drive train, Truvativ Stylo Team Cranks with Truvativ Bashguard 22/32/Bash, Easton EA50 Handle Bar, Avid Mechanical Discs, thats all i can think of...

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from West Chester, PA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Strengths:    The Frame is very stiff and light = Great Climber and accelerates with ease.

Weaknesses:    Hartail - Does great on everything but the most technical sections of trail

Bottom Line:
This is a great hartail. It is very efficent and a superb climber. The 2004 Duke XC shock is soaks up the small and large hits with ease. I recommend getting a shorter stem or a few spacers to raise the handlebars as I felt like my weight was too far forward. This will help a ton on the steeper downhills....

I use panaracer trailblasters 2.1, the seem to hook up very well,

I recommend getting the frame and building it up the way your would like... you will save big $$$$$ and start with a frame that comes on a $3300 bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, French Creek

Purchased At:   Exton Bike

Similar Products Used:   2002 Tassajara, 2002 Stumpjumper, 03 Stumpjumper, 03 Giant XTC2

Bike Setup:   2003 XTC1 Frame, 2004 Duke XC, XTR on 517's, Team Stylo TruVativ Cranks, Mix of XT, LX shifters and Brakes

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2004

Strengths:    super light weight and stiffer than i ever thought a frame could be. It also looks amazing and has great response to the effort put into pedaling

Weaknesses:    paint chips easily, that doesnt really matter. And if you ride for a long time its stiff enough to consider wearing multiple pairs of bike shorts

Bottom Line:
this is the bike to get if you're looking for light weight, stiff, and a dependable brand at a reasonable cost. Its proven to be great for x-country but can certainly handle some more abusive riding as well.

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher josua

Bike Setup:   i built from the frame up off ebay. xt exerything, v brakes, and 03 manitou black elites 80/100

Submitted by Aaron Nathan a Racer from Ithaca, NY USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2003

Strengths:    This is the most incredible frame ever. Period. SUPER light, rigid, and looks incredible. With an XTR drivetrain, you're in heaven.

Weaknesses:    Everyone stares.

Bottom Line:
I had the 97' XTC SE1 and rode the sh**t out of it, to the point where the frame cracked below the bottom bracket on some trials riding. I got this frame FREE from giant on the warantee in less than one week, and I was amazed to see the NEW 2003 XTC 1 in the shop!

I've ridden things i couldn't dream of riding before, and the nice rigid frame makes the drivetrain work perfectly. I can downhill with the DS rig guys on our team, and laugh all the way! If you don't have cash, buy this bike frame on ebay, if you do, go buy a full kit NOW!

Favorite Trail:   cybspi@att.net

Purchased At:   Giant Warantee Repair

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC SE1 (1997), Klein Pulse Comp (96), Gary Fisher Xcalibur, Baracudda BONeZ (really old)

Bike Setup:   XTR/XT Drivetrain, Indy C (my SID is on order!), Fully Avid Sealed Cable, Avid Mech Discs, Kore Lite Riser/Stem, Rictcey Slicks, Mavic 223's

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Mendota Heights, MN USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    Very light bike. Seems to have a strong frame and can get moving fast in a hurry.

Weaknesses:    Not too good on fast bumpy downhill descents. Only because it does not absorb bumps very well. A seat post shock may help.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great value for the dollar. I purchased the frame and built up with XT components. This bike rode well on the Chequamegon 40 mile cross-country race. Climbed the uphills very easily. I would upgrade to a SID fork and add a seat post shock to make this an all around great cross-country bike.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills, Eagan

Purchased At:   frame only on ebay

Bike Setup:   XT, Manitou SX-R, Ritchey Rizers, Hayes disc brakes.

Submitted by Chris Ledvina a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Strengths:    Light, stiff, looks great

Bottom Line:
This is a great XC hardtail. I planned on adding old components to this frame and ended up going overboard, replaicng almmost all of the old stuff. However, its a great bike, and I made it even better, so its all good. Fast, light, cuts into turns really well. The frame's tubes do seem a little thin, but thats why its so light, and there is seemingly no flex, especially under hard acceleration, which is perhaps the bike's best feature. If you want a great hardtail, look no further. As a complete bike, the XTC1 is a little expensive, but if you can find a frame (or buy the XTC2), its a great value as well.

Purchased At:   LBS-

Similar Products Used:   GT; Schwinn;

Bike Setup:   XTC1 frame, XT components; Easton bars, stem and post, '03 Duke fork.....

Submitted by Pete Hall a Racer from Caledonia MI USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Strengths:    Light, fast, great componetry, great frame, not overpriced

Weaknesses:    Saddle just didnt work with me(so i switched it, no problem)

Bottom Line:
This is one fast bike, for one good price. Only from Giant could you get a full XTR kit, Crossmax UST wheels, SID Team fork w/ the remote lockout, a full Titec cockpit, all on a sweet looking bat out of hell fast frame for under $3300. I love the bike, it handles very well at speed, especially in twisty singletrack. Out of corners the bike accelerates very nicely but is still easy to control without problems. In a nutshell, this is one fast, quick, easy to control at speed bike, with a great componetry package. The hardtail is definetly not dead.

Favorite Trail:   Boyne Race course

Similar Products Used:   01 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, 00 Cannondale F3000

Bike Setup:   Stock exept for Easton EC-70 carbon bar, Egg Beaters, and Selle Italia Flite Saddle

Submitted by Jon Kimball a Racer from Concord,NH

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Strengths:    Super stiff in climbing. light wieght but very strong thanks to giants new fluid form frames. it can also take a beating(5-8ft)drops and dirt jumps. look awsome!

Bottom Line:
THIS IS THE ULTAMITE DO EVERY THING BIKE. IT IS A FASY XC RACING BIKE OR YOU CAN ROCK THE 4X TRACK. I'VE EVEN KEPT UP WITH FULL-SUSPENSONS ON THE DOWNHILL COURSE. IT WAS THE BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT FOR THE FUNNEST BIKE ON THE TRAIL. IF YOU ARE A RIDER WHO LIKES ALITTLE OF EVERTHIN BUT CAN'T AFFORD 2+ BIKES THIS IS THE PERFECT BIKE FOR YOU.

Favorite Trail:   OAK HILL

Purchased At:   WAITE'S

Similar Products Used:   KHS comp st, 01 AC AIR

Bike Setup:   i BUILT IT FROM THE FRAME UP. I HAVE MANIYOU BLACK ELITES 100/120. XTR, AVID DISC, RACEFACE, AND KENDA 2.4 TIRES

Submitted by Adam Trimble a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2003

Strengths:    Super light, beautiful paint job, great combonation of components

Weaknesses:    SID/Crossmax front end combo is VERY flexy. Is any hardtail worth $4000 cdn? It makes my friend jealous!!

Bottom Line:
THIS IS AN ACTUAL REVIEW OF THE WHOLE BIKE NOT JUST THE FRAME!!!

I have only had a chance to ride around my neighbourhood on this bike as the weather has been pretty bad. I don't want to take it out in the snow, salt and muck. The new XTR is great. I was worried about getting used to the new style of shifting but is seems quite natural and very precise. The fork is pretty good (we'll see how long it lasts, are you listening RockShox?)It was very easy to set up and with the Blackbox lockout the fork can be set softer to get full use of the travel and still be able to climb and sprint. The wheels are nice and light but the front wheel is VERY flexy. I am 168lbs and every corner (left or right)I take, the wheel flexes enough to rub the brake(yes it is adjusted properly). I have never ridden a better tire than the Hutchinson Python, so it was an added bonus not to have to go out and get new tires with a new bike. The frame it self is flex free and beautiful it fits me quite well. As I said I haven't got to do any sustained climbing but it accelerates better than any other bike I have ridden. I will post again once I have had a little more riding time on it.

For a value rating I have a hard time saying any bike is good value for $4000 Cdn. But if there ever were a hardtail that was worth that it would be this one.

Potential buyers beware. This is a racing XC bike! Don't buy this bike and expect to freeride or take 4 foot drop offs. If someone were to try and use it like this they might get 3 rides out of it. It is a fast, harsh, XC racer that isn't exceptionally comfortable. It will, however, get you to the finish line faster.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Mansfeild

Purchased At:   Cyclepath on Bloor

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Supercaliber, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Trek 9.8

Bike Setup:   Stock except with Easton EC70 flat bar, Time Alium pedals(I'm cheap...$150 extra to go to the Carbon Titan and save 60 grams...Thats a whole season of race fees!)

Submitted by Orlando Rodríguez a Cross Country Rider from Bogotá, Colombia

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, price, colors, geomtry, etc . . .

Weaknesses:    None so far, maybe a bit too noisy

Bottom Line:
This is one grat frame, so far the best I have riden (including my friends bikes), very maneauverable and handy, climbs like a goat and if you are in a hurry it can get you down very fast without a scratch. This is some piece of work Giant has done. Bottom line: if you can, then buy one, you won´t regreat it!

Purchased At:   Todo terreno

Similar Products Used:   genric alum hardtail, smith ultralight

Submitted by larry a Cross Country Rider from Melville

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Weight,it's stiff,the RIDE!!,looks,price

Bottom Line:
I don't know were to begin,first the ride is awesome,little roots and rocks i felt though my old frame are gone.When you pedal every stroke is turned into power,this frame just goes.uphill and down.Downhill is the real surprise,this frame moves.It rides great and feels so solid under you

I the got the bike as a frame and built it up.For $350.00 you can't go wrong.I was going to spend big bucks on a titanium frame,then i saw the XTC frame>I could not be more thrilled with the preformance,this is one great hardtail!!!
And who says the hardtail is dead?NOT ME
If your looking for a top hardtail frame and like to ride singletrack and fast as you can this is the bike

Favorite Trail:   rockypoint

Purchased At:   grandbicycle

Similar Products Used:   G.T frame/ Agreesor

Bike Setup:   Mavic crossride wheelset,rockshox duke SL,XT drivetrain,Avid SD7 brakes.Hot S tires

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Or.

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Strengths:    Frame is super light and extremely rigid, yet has a pretty nice ride.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Needed something with more of a rigid rear triangle. Nrs was too flexy. Bought as a frame only and built up. Frame is beautiful hydroforming, if nothing else looks great. color is spot on. I wanted a light weight hardtail that I could still ride hard, and did I find it. bike built up with a chunky parts build and is still only around 26 lbs!!!

Build up was easy as all standard parts were used( unlike the cannitfail) Ride is awesome! Now I pretty much have a do everything bike that should last me for a couple of years. If you are even thinking of getting this bike I assure you that you will not be dissapointed.

Favorite Trail:   browns camp, hagg lake

Purchased At:   Bike N' Hike

Similar Products Used:   Giant nrs1, Kona stuff, GT Zaskar, Cannondale CAAD 3, Specialized fsr extreme

Bike Setup:   Rhino Lite xl on xt hubs, full xt build kit, xt hyd discs, psylo sl blah blah

Submitted by David Garcia a Cross Country Rider from Corinth,Tx

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Strengths:    Frame color/Everything about this Biike. Welding is Superb.
Frame is Super-Light/Bomb proof.

Weaknesses:    Cant't find one.

Bottom Line:
This Bike kicks some serious arse.If you can't win on this Bike you can't blame the Bike..The XTC1 is super fast. great on climbs and will take you down the steepest hills with great confidence..Beutiful welding and color/Super light Frame
Go out and buy you one.