Giant Rincon 2003 Hardtail

4.16/5 (37 Reviews)

Submitted by Mark G a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Great frame, good components, very good value

Weaknesses:    RST shock is weak, front derailleur needs periodic adjustments

Bottom Line:
At the time I bought my Rincon, back in 2003 I had about $300 to spend on a new bike. I wasn't planning on doing too much trail riding, but I wanted decent components to hold up to the occasional trip in the dirt. I shopped around a lot checking out $300 bikes from Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized, etc, but I kept coming back to the Giant as it was the best bang for the buck. Frankly, most of the bikes in the Rincon's price range were junk! I finally found the bike on sale at Performance Bike plus it included lifetime adjustments, so I had a little extra piece of mind with my purchase. I found myself doing street riding almost exclusively and soon switched to street tires. Besides tires the only upgrades I've performed so far has been a Blackburn MTB rack and Crank Bros. Candy pedals. I have an upcoming camping trip coming up, so knobby tires will be going back on shortly, and I'm sure the complaints about the RST fork will become obvious to me :)

Duration Product Used:   8 years

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle,

Bike Setup:   Giant Rincon, stock derailleurs, Crank Brothers Candy pedals, Blackburn MTB rack, Performance Fast City K street tires

Submitted by Duncan a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Strengths:    I had the 2006 model with V brakes. Great bike for $500 NZD. Have ridden well over 10000km of light trail and road riding as well as alot of jumping, skate park and BMX tracks and a few endurance races on mine before the frame broke. Well balanced and light.

Weaknesses:    RST front shocks were terrible and needed replacing not long after I got it. Some of the components didn't enjoy endurance racing, but for the price and age I can't argue.

Bottom Line:
Excellent buy, wouldn't go past it in it's price range.

Similar Products Used:   Apollo, Scott

Bike Setup:   Suntour XCM V2 front shocks, clip pedals, new cranks, heavy duty velocity rear rim, lower gearer front crankset, oversize grips, mud tyers and road tyers, had various cycle computers, lights, tyers ect at different times

Submitted by Crazy Dude a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    The Bike is good for its value. The breaks are good and the frame is pretty strong for its weight. This bike weighs nothing. It is also a fairly fast bike and would be good for racing or entery level freeride biking. Also has good grips and a comfortalble seat. It is also a BEAUTIFUL looking thing. However this bike doesnt suit my off road style of riding.

Weaknesses:    Forks are small and extremely soft. If you move onto doing big drops you will need to get forks with more travel. This is not a true downhill or free ride bike and is better off for street use. If that is what you are useing it for you will be extremely happy. If you want an off rode bike, this will not hold up on the bigger stuff. I did a fw 2 foot drops and a few dirt jumps on it but the back end is uncomfortable to land on. The cranks are crap too. For street use this bike is great, if you want an off road bike then spend an extra few hundred bucks and get an off road bike

Bottom Line:
Great bike for street riding. Really light and very easy to manual. It will also take small drops/jumps and othe minor off road riding. It is extremely good for its value.

Favorite Trail:   Yu-Yangs

Purchased At:   it's my friends bike

Similar Products Used:   Shogu Trail Breaker, Norco Sasquatch

Submitted by Josh Wolf a Downhiller from hamilton, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    nice light frame, great value for bike, smooth riding, I've taken it over 6ft drops and its still fine -(except for bottom bracket)

Weaknesses:    the components- even though they are good for the price you pay, they don't last long. The shocks are terrible, they wore out so much they bottm out over speed bumps now, plus they only have 3 inches of travel.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for cross country, local trails or for beginners, but even though its nice and light and looks good its just not strong enough for what i would like. If you want to do downhill, freeride, dirtjumping, or something like that, this bike isn't going to be able to take it. I reccomend this bike to anyone who wants a fast, smothh rolling and light bike for really cheap.

Purchased At:   ancaster cycle

Similar Products Used:   trek 4300

Bike Setup:   bought this bike in 03, still totally stock, have to replace the BB

Submitted by Joshua Neally a Weekend Warrior from wichita, ks usa

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2006

Strengths:    I like the color and stock rims are tuff, I weight 215lbs and can't seem to break em on jumps.

Weaknesses:    the overall gear range seems weak

Bottom Line:
For the cash it can't be beat, I love it and will ride it till it falls apart which may be next week.

Favorite Trail:   sedewick county park

Purchased At:   L and M schiwn

Similar Products Used:   trek

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Matt Jhonson a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2005

Strengths:    I like that its light and easy to ride.

Weaknesses:    The rims are junk and the crank is too.

Bottom Line:
I really like to bike but it needs alot of new parts and care

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Performance bike shop

Bike Setup:   none

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Prescott, Arizona U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Strengths:    Good frame.

Weaknesses:    Headset, cranks and wheels

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. I really enjoy the frame and after three years of riding seems strong. Upgraded most of the componets after two years even though I did not have any problems with most of them I just like working on bikes. The stock cranks did bend on one ride and one of the plastic bushing covers on the headset broke soon after I bought it. The stock RST shock worked fine for XC, downhill, rocks and some two foot drops. Only had to adjust the derailers once but it was a new bike and cables stretch. Great bike for the XC rider but less expensive to buy a bike with all the upgades than doing it a part at a time unless your like building bikes.

Favorite Trail:   White Rock

Purchased At:   Bike Smith

Similar Products Used:   Jammis Durango Sport

Bike Setup:   LX shifters,derailers,deore v brakes, alivio cranks and Rock Shox Judy SL u Turn.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    Value...

Weaknesses:    Components Durability.

Bottom Line:
I really have enjoyed this bike as an entry level bike, but I ride some very hard trails and the bike has had quite a few visits to the shop to get things repaired and replaced, I was quite disappointed by the durability, but considering the price and what i put it through it did. O.K. I think that this bike is good for people who are looking for a value entry level bike, but should plan on upgrading in the future if they continue for a few year with tough riding.

Purchased At:   Village Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock.

Bike Setup:   "Spring Edition" with the "Dream" paintjob, regular componentry.

Submitted by Greg from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    solid ride. even though its a hardtail, when your downhilling it does bounce around but it it is very controllable. the frame hasnt broken yet even after jumping off a chevy van and a few 4 footers. the seat is the most comfortable thing ever.

Weaknesses:    over time... the gears require a longer and harder pull on the shifters, it takes forever. the rim brakes have to constantly be adjusted to keep from rubbing but im used to discs so i could just be being picky.

Bottom Line:
buy it for any type of riding on a budget

Favorite Trail:   anything at bolton valley

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   dukes in the front

Submitted by John Urkuski a Weekend Warrior from Reading, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    The frame isn't great but it takes a beating and absorbs the shock of the roots and rocks of the Marsh okay. The rims held up to a year of abuse.

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket disentegrated after about six months. Crank set is a piece of junk, shredded the middle chain ring teeth in about eight months. Deraillures need constant adjustment and must be kept spotless and well lubed to have any kind of consistency. Performs poorly in muddy conditions. The shimano brakes are deplorable on downhills unless you start breaking early.

Bottom Line:
For very light trail use and some road work probably an okay bike. For single track or for climbing it will not cut it. Great on hard pack flat surfaces. Front RST Capa shock should be replaced immediately. Bottoms out on an ant hill!! For light excersize or very occasional trail use ONLY!!!

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh

Purchased At:   Weavers Bike Shop

Submitted by Morgan B. a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, handles well, easy to shift

Bottom Line:
Loved that bike until it was stolen in September 2003. I rode it all through Long Island NY and brought with to Honolulu. Was a great tough bike for getting around single track, and city traffic. I'll miss that bike

Favorite Trail:   Catherdral Pines, Long Island NY

Purchased At:   Carl Hart

Similar Products Used:   GT iDrive 3.0

Bike Setup:   Stock, with peddle cages

Submitted by Trevor a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2004

Strengths:    Light, attractive, easy to handle, great value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Front shock is adjustable, but doesn't get as rigid as I like at times. Too mushy for smoother rides.

Bottom Line:
I just got into mountain biking from bmx. Many bikes that I have ridden just don't ride the way that I like, on or off road. The Giant Rincon has a perfect ride. It has the touch to go from dodging trees and crossing streams to dodging cars and pedestrians while crossing the streets. Excellent value for such a great bike. This bike has made me a fan of Giant bikes.

Purchased At:   Harper's

Similar Products Used:   Haro X-2, Giant Boulder SE

Submitted by jakeda snake a Weekend Warrior from riverside ca

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Strengths:    the price is a plus. nice frame and i like the huge giant logo. the bike shifts and brakes well.

Weaknesses:    i do not like the tires there is too much resistance. cant upgrade to disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
I cannot see how people complain about a 300-dollar bike. If you want a high performance bike, you should go out and get one. I will upgrade the bike as things break and end up with sweet machine. The disc upgrade is not really an issue because I do not like the way disc brakes feel. If you are looking to get into the sport and do not want to break the bank buy this bike. I saw the past reviews with people swapping out everything on the bike before leaving the store and wonder why they did not buy a better-equipped model. The bike feels solid and high performance parts break just as easy. I am sure the NRS Air shifts and rides smoother but it also costs $$$$$ dollars more. The bike can handle what you through at it. BUY IT, RIDE IT AND HAVE FUN.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   diamond bar cyclery

Bike Setup:   stock with clips

Submitted by greg a Weekend Warrior from Erie, PA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    Good overall value, new models have upgraded front forks(now have SR XC-60). This corrected one of the biggest weaknesses of earlier models. Lightwwight and comfortable bike with slick paint jobs.

Weaknesses:    Low end Altus front derailleur & lower quality rims.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price, the weaknesses are expected for the price - remember that this bike is more of a starter or casual rider level. With the great frame, it could be upgraded in the future. Excellent ride and great look.

Purchased At:   Frontier Bike Shop - Erie,PA

Submitted by Matt O a Weekend Warrior from Surret B.C Canada

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    Mine is a big one 21' hahaha big aint it but i love it i like how the frame is light and looks strong brakes were ok till i fixed them to what i wanted to be at.

Weaknesses:    Did not like the fork i got an old school stiff fork i got a factory 2.6 dh tred cause when i hit a jump with the old tred i didnt feel safe so i got a bigger 1 and its great. dont like the cranks ugly as hell dont like no disc mounts that just pissed me off the stem to long uggraded to a shorter dh stem very nice easy to cat walk how ever the colors not a big fan of the blue and whote thank god i dont got that i got the black and silver!!:)

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great beginers bike and does not cost alot but be warned to spend a bit upgradeing like me but i love it owell

Favorite Trail:   Watershed